Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Timfy

BDI wrote: »
    Cycled across north Dublin to the docks/ point depot area. Worse summer mornings.

Big hype

What hype? This was an Orange alert for Western counties, and rightly so for where I am in NW Connemara.

Dublin only has a Yellow rainfall alert!

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Longford, Westmeath, Galway, Mayo, Roscommon and Clare

Strong westerly winds persist for a time this morning, mean speeds 50 to 65 km/hr with higher gusts.

So the crossings are still in jeopardy.. ah well!

LATER

Need to add that these ferry folk have been sailing these waters since they were very small.. I trust them! They were very embarrassed the one time they got it wrong and stranded me over the water! Very apologetic! That was before Storm Brian..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Very very windy in Dublin City centre. Can't believe the amount of cyclists out there today. Very foolhardy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,288 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Cycled across north Dublin to the docks/ point depot area. Worse summer mornings.

Big hype

Your in Dublin....the west coast was the one with the orange warning..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Timfy wrote: »
    What hype? This was an Orange alert for Western counties, and rightly so for where I am in NW Connemara.

Going to be rough enough in that area for the next hour or two.

Current mean wind speeds at Mace Head and Newport satisfy criteria for orange warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭malinheader

No wonder they are struggling with money issues as they say, I wonder how much it's cost to put on the circus that they ran round the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭glack

Met Eireann do what they're supposed to do and do it very well. It's the likes of rte, and the tabloids that are complete as-ho- es.

Exactly. The actual forecast never mentioned any significant impacts for most of the country. RTE, TV3 and the newspapers went to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

They need to move to impact based system used in the UK!

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1180008921106386944?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Average slightly windy day. Dry.

Onshore housing estate, Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Big hype

The warnings weren't for your area!

Woken by very strong winds about 2am in South Sligo. They persisted right through until I left about 6am.

Some large debris on my route but no trees that I came across.

Winds still strong here in East Mayo at the moment, but not to the extent of overnight in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Update on Kerry last night please preferably Killarney/Killorglin/Glenbeigh area.

Just want to know if electricity went out?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Timfy wrote: »

Dublin only has a Yellow rainfall alert!

There was massive hype. Not from met eireann , from the media. Dublin websites and radio stations certainly over did it . And the media is hugely influential

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭sjb25

Rte renting a few chainsaws this morning to cut a few trees down for a few pictures :)

It has been a significant event near the west coast. Otherwise some central counties are about to get the weakening remnants as the old centre finally moves inland near Donegal Bay (heading southeast now towards Dublin by mid-day).

This means about 2-3 hours more of the moderate to strong winds and high seas, then a fairly rapid improving trend in the west, while for the east, things will deteriorate a little, no big storm or event, but some blustery winds at times and some steady rain for 2-3 hours as the decaying remnants move through Leinster around mid-day. Some parts of the south coast may have almost zero impact from the whole thing as it loops around well to their north.

I think some attention had to be drawn to the storm even though a lot of guidance showed a glancing blow or weak impacts in some areas. I think the met service did what needed to be done, and I think boards handled the situation well also (speaking of these threads). People knew generally what to expect, and that more or less has happened. So it's all good. I'm hoping there is not much disruption in the west although would imagine there are a few spots with some damage to clean up.

Thanks … I gather that there have been no fatalities or serious accidents which speaks for itself. WONDERFUL

Most of the naysayers are in areas that were not in the warning and none as far as I can see expressed any concerns re those who were.

Not been outside yet but I am aware that there is damage out there. And the supply ferry due today may not get across either .

The worst here was that sudden attack a few hours ago! POW!

But we owe a great deal to met.ie's forecast on this one. We really do. WELL DONE and WELL DONE boards.ie

Personally I do not have radio or TV and never read newspapers. the internet and here is enough for me. Stands to reason that any kind of journalist or presenter has vested interests in creating interest and attention. Why are folk so... gullible?

One poster even told me I did not count as my location is " extreme"... a/c to him there was no storm anywhere...

Still howling out here..

West mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

fin12 wrote: »
    Update on Kerry last night please preferably Killarney/Killorglin/Glenbeigh area.

Just want to know if electricity went out?

Not in Killarney, heard reports of some outages in Dingle and Ballybunion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Winds still up in Galway.
    No sign of It settling yet.very strong wind with persistent rain.
    It’s a bad one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Big hype

I mean, year man Gerry from Met Éireann was ón the 9 o'clock news saying "this won't be an event in the East".

And what's left of the actual storm hasn't even got here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭prunudo

Met Eireann do what they're supposed to do and do it very well. It's the likes of rte, and the tabloids that are complete as-ho- es.

They don't help but I think a real problem is social media or in particular Facebook. Yesterday I saw people sharing posts from the likes of Dublin Live, Radio Nova, Irish Mirror all mentioning Storm Lorenzo and red warnings in the headline, its not until you dig deeper into the article you see the real albeit sketchy detail.
    Then you also have people sharing 2 day old articles from where there was still a possibility it could be worse but people taking it as realtime and fact.
    At the end of the day the problem isn't Met Eireann, some of the blame lies with regular and social media but ultimately the fault lays at people who are too lazy to look into the finer details and who lap up the hype from this click bait society that has developed around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

sjb25 wrote: »
    Rte renting a few chainsaws this morning to cut a few trees down for a few pictures :)

The media still cant let it go. The examiner are saying “storm is gone..:BUT BEWARE STING IN THE TAIL!!!” They were all creaming themselves over the possibility that carnage would ensue..

anyone heard from tatranska? He is in a vulnerable situation.

• Advertisement

Winds still up in Galway.
    No sign of It settling yet.very strong wind with persistent rain.
    It’s a bad one

same out here; exhausted! Not going out to take photos today! All I would get is solid grey anyways..;)

Only "damage" so far is a couple of wet patches on the floor.. cats could not get out.... they are forgiven totally.!

Sheesh; the din out there now.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Lots of flooding in Donegal here in places that never usually flooded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Breezy morning in Galway. Slept right through the storm but haven't seen any damage yet. Not much rain either. What was highest gust in Mace head?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

We're feeling the windy aftermath now, as M.E predicted. Although it's mild and humid. I woke up to full power in my house.
    Relieved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The west & NW get a bit of blustery wet weather. Rest of the country...barely noticeable... Why does everything about weather (and by extension climate) have to be so sensensationalist these days? Its like they're trying to prove it's an unprecedented event but in the end...its nothing out of the ordinary...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Hooter23 wrote: »
    I seen enough rte I think it time to smash the telly:pac:
    But what about Fair city and Decco and Anto and Mondo !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Abba987 wrote: »
    There was massive hype. Not from met eireann , from the media. Dublin websites and radio stations certainly over did it . And the media is hugely influential

Mad like. I got an article with photos of "Storm Lorenzo battering Ireland" and its a load of photos of a windy day in Dublin".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

schizo1014 wrote: »
    Lots of flooding in Donegal here in places that never usually flooded

The same here in Galway.land is still saturated since last week and she can’t take anymore water. The tables are full
    Rivers were high last week and haven’t gone back any yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

pburns wrote: »
    The west & NW get a bit of blustery wet weather. Rest of the country...barely noticeable... Why does everything about weather (and by extension climate) have to be so sensensationalist these days? Its like they're trying to prove it's an unprecedented event but in the end...its nothing out of the ordinary...

Because they are laying the groundwork for tax increases and Rte are helping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I think they just don't know definitively which way it will go. They have to inform the public of the possibilities. Some people then hear only the dramatic parts and ignore the other possibilities.

Advertisement