Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

kerryjack wrote: »
    I think the warnings are good Orange don't make unnecessary journeys, red don't leave the house. sounds good to me. some people just can't stay at home my OH been one of them. I think they should be no rescue service in orange or red warning why should people put themselves at risk for someone that's so stupid to be taken chances.

Hello, is that 911? yeah? great, ehm my mother here is having a heart attack, she went outside to stop her bin blowing around, she was worried it was going to break a window. She thought it was secured and it got loose. Uhm, can you send an ambulance? No? what do you mean no?
    Its a red weather warning? So?

Oh you don't work on red warnings cos the goverments won't let you. Ok I'll tell her to stop having it and try again tomorrow instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

sorry ment no coast guard

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭moonage

I find the last part of the Status Yellow Warning very vague and a bit silly ("Do not take any avoidable risks."). Everything we do has some risk involved. Do we have to avoid doing everything during a Status Yellow?

STATUS YELLOW
    "Weather that does not pose a threat to the general population but is potentially dangerous on a localised scale.

Be aware about meteorological conditions and check if you are exposed to danger by nature of your activity or your specific location. Do not take any avoidable risks."

Cos that makes it right too?

What about the people that work at sea? What happens if they run into issues during the storm and need rescued?

What gives anyone the right to deny rescue no matter when why or how they got into that position?

Oh and who can I sue for an issue that I caused myself but nobody rescued me cos it was too dangerous for them. I was able to get out here, so why can't they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

The country has a duty of care to each and every one of its citizens. If someone does make a stupid decision you can't just leave them to die.

Rescue Services are all to aware of the potential dangers in their respective roles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Maybe if you have to be rescued due to stupidity/recklessness during an orange/red warning, you should have to foot the bill for the rescue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

dmc17 wrote: »
    Maybe if you have to be rescued due to stupidity/recklessness during an orange/red warning, you have to foot the bill for the rescue?

Does not work that way if someone is in trouble they respond and are trained to do so and are always delighted to save a life , my Son is in the RNLI and was on standby for this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

West cork
    oOLeYvL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Does not work that way if someone is in trouble they respond and are trained to do so and are always delighted to save a life , my Son is in the RNLI and was on standby for this

I know how it works. It was just a suggestion to deal with stupidity during weather warnings..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This hit some, didn't hit others.
    I'm on a mountain facing the west coast. I was glad I had time to prepare.

Models were right but funny enough, the weather systems haven't read the models and sometimes does other things.

It shifted as did orphelia. That happens.i for one am glad it did. A direct hit on my house wouldn't have been good..,in fact, it would have been very very bad.

People really need to stop bitching just because bit didn't rain on the east coast when they were awake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Only 107 km/h gust in Mace Head? Valentia only for 67 km/h.

Way below what was expected. The forecasters got this one very wrong.
    We'll have 20 worse nights before April.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just catching up on news,, rte re Lorenzo. flooding in Donegal with worse to come...power cuts.. sea wall in Belmullet breached.

Hope all in Donegal are ok.. Hopefully the seas die down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Just your average crappy night here in South Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Donegal town this morning
    uiVVfC6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭sporina

We arent under any warning..

yes we were - we were status yellow for a good while...

blah blah blah..

these exaggerated forecasts are v dangerous as eventually people will stop paying heed to them - and then when there really is a storm, there will be trouble..

stop crying wolf weather folk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Imagine if every time we were told we were going to be murdered we'd have to change plans, possibly cancel meeting friends or going shopping....

Now imagine that every time you were told you were going to get murdered it never happened.

After a while you'll just not take any heed of it.

lleti wrote: »
    Imagine if every time we were told we were going to be murdered we'd have to change plans, possibly cancel meeting friends or going shopping....

Now imagine that every time you were told you were going to get murdered it never happened.

After a while you'll just not take any heed of it.

:confused::confused::confused:

If someone is threatening to murder you, you really need to call the Gardaí....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

There still at it on Rte.."we will get it right the next time" lol when have we heard that before:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Only 107 km/h gust in Mace Head? Valentia only for 67 km/h.

Way below what was expected. The forecasters got this one very wrong.
    We'll have 20 worse nights before April.

Is it not wonderful that no one died, that there was not more damage than there was? Had folk not been advised to take precautions?

Weather forecasting is not an exact science; they have to warn of the worst possible scenario to avoid danger and damage.

Never before heard anyone complain that it was not bad enough weather! Most of us are relieved. It was bad enough out here as it was.

And Met ie did not create the hype; their forecasts were well within safety and accuracy.

That was the media.

Over and out from here on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

m17 wrote: »
    West cork
    oOLeYvL.jpg

Did you take that picture if you don’t mind me asking m17? Just wondering because my family has a house near there! Was wondering what it was like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Hooter23 wrote: »
    There still at it on Rte.."we will next it right the next time" lol when have we heard that before:rolleyes:

Can hand on my heart say, I have never heard that before

• Registered Users Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

m17 wrote: »
    Donegal town this morning
    uiVVfC6.jpg
    don't need a storm for that stream to flood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

There is a certain amount of back tracking going on. When the kitesurfer dude needed a medi-vac yesterday there were calls of- 'Gob****e', 'Serves him right', 'Should have left him there' and 'Darwin award' because he was out in a storm in an area under a weather alert. Now it seems there was no warning and no problem. Truth is the weather wasn't at all bad on the east coast and that fella could have injured himself on a lovely day in July just as easily- in fact last Tuesday was far more windy here and I'd guess he's often been out in far windy conditions.

The yellow advisory seems to cause the most confusion.

I think MetEireann and RTE will have learned some valuable lessons from this debacle. We are going to have a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario if this circus keeps playing out.

The problem is that the media bought into it too early and deployed teams to report on the 'hurricane'. They felt they could not pull back from the brink once they had released the hype.

1. MetE weather presenters need to better at dampening the hype within RTE e.g. they should not have left George Lee waffle on about hurricanes - they should have pulled him up on it. It was bull****.

2. RTE (and the rest of the media) need to understand what the weather warnings mean and present them in a matter-of-fact fashion.

3. If downgrades start happening MetE need to say it quickly and make sure RTE acknowledge it. Then RTE need to be brave enough to say it's going to be a non-event. There is nothing wrong with that. Instead RTE started running around the country trying desperately to make a story out of nothing (e.g. Prime Time).

4. The National Emergency Co-ordination group needs to shut up altogether. They just muddy the waters even more with their TDs just looking for air time. Eoghan Murphy :o

Just need to let it all go now?

The storm is over; the sun is shining and a lovely autumn day out there. Enjoy...

Graces7 wrote: »

The storm is over; the sun is shining and a lovely autumn day out there. Enjoy...

At least you never hype it up Graces ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Did you take that picture if you don’t mind me asking m17? Just wondering because my family has a house near there! Was wondering what it was like :)

I doubt if he did as he put up the donegal town picture as well, possible but it would be alot of travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Graces7 wrote: »

What storm? I have been along the coast of 4 of the 5 counties in the orange zone and it didnt happen.

I have spoken with locals who are well used to winter storms and the unanimous consensus is this was a non event.

Advertisement