Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,394 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So where are these thousands without power the RTE website is reporting?

A thousand houses in castlebar and another thousand in Galway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTÉ journalist reporting that a “couple of twigs” on the roads in county Clare !!

With a knowing tone of voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I think they just don't know definitively which way it will go. They have to inform the public of the possibilities. Some people then hear only the dramatic parts and ignore the other possibilities.

Why!?
    Why do they have to inform us about all sorts of possibilities that may never happen?
    That's the road to irrelevance...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

lleti wrote: »
    Dublin should not have been anything.

It was a normal winters night.

Autumn lad.autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks … I gather that there have been no fatalities or serious accidents which speaks for itself. WONDERFUL

Most of the naysayers are in areas that were not in the warning and none as far as I can see expressed any concerns re those who were.

Not been outside yet but I am aware that there is damage out there. And the supply ferry due today may not get across either .

The worst here was that sudden attack a few hours ago! POW!

But we owe a great deal to met.ie's forecast on this one. We really do. WELL DONE and WELL DONE boards.ie

Personally I do not have radio or TV and never read newspapers. the internet and here is enough for me. Stands to reason that any kind of journalist or presenter has vested interests in creating interest and attention. Why are folk so... gullible?

One poster even told me I did not count as my location is " extreme"... a/c to him there was no storm anywhere...

Still howling out here..

West mayo

Why are u posting the same stuff over again U posted most of this last night We all know you are on an island course u are going to get bad weather there. Other people were talking about the mainland. Which was different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

HBC08 wrote: »
    I have no problem with ME conduct all week,they gave accurate data and were pretty much on the ball.I have no problem with Rte basing their 6 o clock news around this and having reporters live all over the country.
    However once it became clear that this wasnt going to be a major weather event worthy of this kind of coverage then the ridiculous charade began. Instead of reporting accurately on this we had the embarrassing scenes on the 9 o clock news of reporters around the country shouting into the camera and telling us about "lock down" etc as waves lapped about behind them. What was the point of this bizarre effort? did they think people wouldnt notice?
    I lived abroad during the tiger years so only have a vague idea who George Lee is.We need more of him on the telly though,that was the most ive belly laughed at an rte programme in decades!

Yeah absolutely, in every report from met eireann over the last few days they stressed the level of uncertainty.
    It was clickbait media that built up the hype, but RTE should have done better. By all means report the risk but when it does not come to pass don't keep up the act.
    I know very little about about forecasting but some weather events are easier to forecast than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nothing overnight up in North Donegal.

I woke expecting to see a lot of leaves and debris from heavily laden trees round the house, but nothing.

Next to no leaves down overnight, must have been no winds at all.

So much for all Atlantic and West coats being battered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I wonder will ME review how they engage with RTE going forward as it will be ME who get the criticism

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Reading through this thread would make you want to go out naked in the middle of a hurricane.

So many biased and uneducated opinions, using the weather to push their agenda. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

pburns wrote: »
    I think they just don't know definitively which way it will go. They have to inform the public of the possibilities. Some people then hear only the dramatic parts and ignore the other possibilities.

Why!?
    Why do they have to inform us about all sorts of possibilities that may never happen?
    That's the road to irrelevance...

Because there was enough of a chance it'd happen and happen imminently. Only a couple of possibilities not all sorts. awe were told to wait for updates and clarification as and when met Eireann could provide them. Can't ask for more.

• Advertisement

I wonder will ME review how they engage with RTE going forward as it will be ME who get the criticism

Met Éireann are not in the crosshairs, it's RTÉ which are correctly receiving brunt of flak. Watch them attempt to sweep it under the carpet in derisory fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

starting to quieten.. at last..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Thanks … I gather that there have been no fatalities or serious accidents which speaks for itself. WONDERFUL

Most of the naysayers are in areas that were not in the warning and none as far as I can see expressed any concerns re those who were.

Not been outside yet but I am aware that there is damage out there. And the supply ferry due today may not get across either .

The worst here was that sudden attack a few hours ago! POW!

But we owe a great deal to met.ie's forecast on this one. We really do. WELL DONE and WELL DONE boards.ie

Personally I do not have radio or TV and never read newspapers. the internet and here is enough for me. Stands to reason that any kind of journalist or presenter has vested interests in creating interest and attention. Why are folk so... gullible?

One poster even told me I did not count as my location is " extreme"... a/c to him there was no storm anywhere...

Still howling out here..

West mayo

You should really move to the mainland well inland seeing as these moderate storms affect you so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'd say most people will agree Met Eireann got it largely right but it's RTE and Virgin Media along with the newspapers who went totally overboard in their efforts to gain attention. A lot of people will have lost respect for the national media's handling of this weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Because there was enough of a chance it'd happen and happen imminently. Only a couple of possibilities not all sorts. awe were told to wait for updates and clarification as and when met Eireann could provide them. Can't ask for more.

And in fairness met eireann did give updates it was rte who lost the total run of themselves and even refused to backtrack so much as to interview reporterst on windswept seafront with feck all wind :)

Comhra wrote: »
    I'd say most people will agree Met Eireann got it largely right but it's RTE and Virgin Media along with the newspapers who went totally overboard in their efforts to gain attention. A lot of people will have lost respect for the national media's handling of this weather event.

The scene with all the reporters out last night was laughable but not only that a large cost when you take in accomodation costs and Forbes banging on about being broke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

So where are these thousands without power the RTE website is reporting?

Charleville worst hit according to irish examiner. No weather warning at all in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

easypazz wrote: »
    Charleville worst hit according to irish examiner. No weather warning at all in that area.

Passed through at 7 this morning and....... nothing. Barely a few leaves on the ground.

Must have just been a freak tree hitting a main line to cause the power outage.

Tis a bit windy now, but nothing excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

NIMAN wrote: »
    Nothing overnight up in North Donegal.

I woke expecting to see a lot of leaves and debris from heavily laden trees round the house, but nothing.

Next to no leaves down overnight, must have been no winds at all.

So much for all Atlantic and West coats being battered.

Donegal had an orange flood warning and as so happened certain parts of Donegal town have been flooded. Roads around Laghey and Bundoran and up as far as Glenties are empassable this morning.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wish ME would just reply saying “what are you on about, we gave a yellow warning for most of the country with none for some past 6pm and only 5 orange warnings. Blame RTÉ.”

God the media here is becoming worse then the UK and US

Indo's hypocrisy is never ending.

RTE are persisting with thier "Storm Special". Reporting on very low levels of disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I was told at work this morning, RTE (national broadcaster) had a 'Prime Time' Special on the storm at 21:30h last night. That must have been awkward to fill time? I must see if I can stream it today for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could the fact that we are starting to heed warnings, take better care of our landscapes and you know, adapt to the conditions be a factor in why the storm wasn't as destructive as we were lead to believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mammychicken

Young person! I am nearly 80 and there is no way any weather or forecast would " frighten the life out of me" and the same applies to all the old folk I know! We have all experienced and weathered weather you can only guess at! We prepare for these events

And I hope that you are following through with your concerns and calling in on your old neighbours? Bless you for that!

Awful lot of nimbyism here. It was only ever going to be a west coast event. And be sure it is! I am west coast and we are being thrashed and battered by Lorenzo.

Have been all the night long. Still have power and my dish is still intact.. but that could change any minute.

Graces hope your ok this morning and got some sleep last night - i want to put in an order for a woolly hat too!! any colour, whatever is easiest on your eyes! take care and keep us up to date on events x

Tazio wrote: »
    I was told at work this morning, RTE (national broadcaster) had a 'Prime Time' Special on the storm at 21:30h last night. That must have been awkward to fill time? I must see if I can stream it today for the craic.

It was shocking.

Poor Gerry looked so awkward at the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

flazio wrote: »
    Could the fact that we are starting to heed warnings, take better care of our landscapes and you know, adapt to the conditions be a factor in why the storm wasn't as destructive as we were lead to believe?

Interesting point

Easing off now out here at last

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How could it be destructive when it never happened

• Advertisement

No, it just was not as strong or sustained as was feared before it reached land.

The Galway prom is open!!!!! :) No incidents.

Advertisement