Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Zeek12 wrote: »
    That’s not the point.
    The OP makes a good suggestion here. If a yellow warning is not even noteworthy enough for us to see any real change from usual weather - why have this warning level at all?

It doesn’t serve much purpose and just leads to confusion.

Yellow
    Not unusual weather
    Localized danger

So people would be aware of possible flash floods , fallen branches etc
    Might make them think twice when out driving etc

I just spotted the OP said Dublin/Meath area
    That’s all that matters sure
    Didn’t affect the rest of the country at all............

Both threads have been an absolute trollfest as usual
    We had one poster in the space of 6 hours in Galway region saying
    It was scandalous from forecasters due to no wind
    Then
    Ferocious winds
    Then
    A complete non event

Look forward to them crawling back under their bridges

(This is not aimed at you or OP )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

People blaming hype from media yet arnt we all guilty with over 200 pages on here about a windy wet day in October

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Virgin media should realise how silly they were yesterday having reporters around the country saying how bad the storm was. Not a leaf fell off a tree here in kerry. Won't be taking it seriously any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Windy here in North Kerry last night. No damage as everything was away.

Gusts of 48 knots looking at windy.com.

Still a stiff breeze this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

km79 wrote: »
    Yellow
    Not unusual weather
    Localized danger

So people would be aware of possible flash floods , fallen branches etc
    Might make them think twice when out driving etc

I just spotted the OP said Dublin/Meath area
    That’s all that matters sure
    Didn’t affect the rest of the country at all............

Both threads have been an absolute trollfest as usual
    We had one poster in the space of 6 hours in Galway region saying
    It was scandalous from forecasters due to no wind
    Then
    Ferocious winds
    Then
    A complete non event

Look forward to them crawling back under their bridges

(This is not aimed at you or OP )

Thankfully the mods have cleaned up the technical discussion thread

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

km79 wrote: »
    If people think a yellow warning warrants leaving work early they need to read up on the warnings

From Met.ie:
    STATUS YELLOW
    Weather that does not pose a threat to the general population but is potentially dangerous on a localised scale.

Be aware about meteorological conditions and check if you are exposed to danger by nature of your activity or your specific location. Do not take any avoidable risks

"Potentially dangerous", "Do not take any avoidable risks". People read that and think they'd best head off home early, esp if their journey is a long one. The point is that for the region I was in with a yellow warning, it was a normal autumn evening - there was no potential danger whatsoever and not even any inconvenience! Nothing I saw/read about in Leinster warranted a yellow warning. Can't speak for elsewhere.

There were more incidents on Tuesday in Dublin with trees down and flights cancelled tbh, and there were no warnings that day.
    Zeek12 wrote: »
    That’s not the point.
    The OP makes a good suggestion here. If a yellow warning is not even noteworthy enough for us to see any real change from usual weather - why have this warning level at all?

It doesn’t serve much purpose and just leads to confusion.

Spot on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hit us hard for around 5 hours, travelling from Galway late last night it was windy, lots of leaves, lots of surface water, not ideal.
    No harm issuing the warning as it made people aware to take caution. It still knocked out the power.

Social media was full of people in certain parts of Ireland whinging about it been a non event etc, but the orange warning wasn't country wide. Just a chance to moan. Imagine if someone was killed due to flying debris or hitting a pile of leaves or flash flood?
    Think people just need to relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

yop wrote: »
    Hit us hard for around 5 hours, travelling from Galway late last night it was windy, lots of leaves, lots of surface water, not ideal.
    No harm issuing the warning as it made people aware to take caution. It still knocked out the power.

Social media was full of people in certain parts of Ireland whinging about it been a non event etc, but the orange warning wasn't country wide. Just a chance to moan. Imagine if someone was killed due to flying debris or hitting a pile of leaves or flash flood?
    Think people just need to relax.

Nobody said it was. But it didn't hit the orange areas either seems to be the consensus.

4-5000 people without electricity due to the "storm" and 2 trees down in Kerry ! That's the height of the damage this morning according to Newstalk.
    When Teresa Mannion gets wheeled out by RTE with wild hair blowing to screech her weather report from Galway its just pathethic. All jokes about "unnecessary journeys" and "bread" aren't even funny anymore. This so called hurricane took up an entire week of headline news both on TV and newspapers. We are a nation of snowflakes. When I was a child this was called Autumn weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

easypazz wrote: »
    Nobody said it was. But it didn't hit the orange areas either seems to be the consensus.

it hit parts of the orange areas. just because it didnt hit your back garden doesnt mean it didnt go through your area.

It hit in the middle of the night, the majority of the country was in bed so how can they prove it didnt hit them?

• Advertisement

4-5000 people without electricity due to the "storm" and 2 trees down in Kerry ! That's the height of the damage this morning according to Newstalk.
    When Teresa Mannion gets wheeled out by RTE with wild hair blowing to screech her weather report from Galway its just pathethic. All jokes about "unnecessary journeys" and "bread" aren't even funny anymore. This so called hurricane took up an entire week of headline news both on TV and newspapers. We are a nation of snowflakes. When I was a child this was called Autumn weather.

Everything about her in that report looked so staged. I think someone poured water over her head just for effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Teresa Mannion have her wellys on sure sign this storm means business?

The warnings are a decent system.

ME said it would be yellow for most of the country and it probably just about was. Some wind and rain but nothing too extreme.

It was the media that made out that it was doomsday.

The reports didn’t match the warnings at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Ireland- the only country that complains that bad weather isn't bad enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Everything about her in that report looked so staged. I think someone poured water over her head just for effect.

It actually did. I know I was one to make jokes about unecessary journeys early on in this thread, but I honestly regret it now.
    Some of the other reports had flags in the background that were limply hanging instead of flapping away. It was honestly pathetic.

I think ME did a good job forecasting it, and I do get that its was a bit of a nowcast situation. Still as a nation overhyping this to the hilt has p'd off a lot of people that wouldn't have an interest in meterology or an understanding of how it changes or flips.

All week in work everyone was convinced this was Ophelia type levels of storms and I was getting directed to the likes of RTE, and Dublin Live/Liberal articles about how bad this storm is going to hit and shut down the country.

I got slated and shouted down for the mere suggestion it was going to be a west coast event, and that it wasn't going to be bad at all here on the east coast. They all wanted a day off work and according to the media they should be getting it. It was going to be armageddon!

When I pointed them directy to the ME forecasts they were actually shocked because it painted a very different picture.

They've even said they are gonna stop listening to the media now and use ME own site going forward for updates on events like these.

I'm glad I was able to get people to listen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

This is a clear case of weatherwashing.

Failed minister for housing at the forefront of these "emergency co-ordination" meetings, wheeling out the advice to get a good look while the homeless and renters are suffering because of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

easypazz wrote: »
    And lots of the areas in orange got nothing more than a yellow.

They could have backtracked but even on the 6pm news Gerry Murphy was talking it up on the behalf of Met Eireann when the writing was on the wall.

While we here were only ever Yellow - and hardly got that - I spoke with a friend in Achill this morning and he said it was just a typical Atlantic gale and nothing in any way extraordinary. Yellow at best. He has lived there over 60 years and said there'll be worse through the winter, this was no 'event' and people need to take stock and stop all the hyperbole about a bit of wind and rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Kamili wrote: »
    It actually did. I know I was one to make jokes about unecessary journeys early on in this thread, but I honestly regret it now.
    Some of the other reports had flags in the background that were limply hanging instead of flapping away. It was honestly pathetic.

I think ME did a good job forecasting it, and I do get that its was a bit of a nowcast situation. Still as a nation overhyping this to the hilt has p'd off a lot of people that wouldn't have an interest in meterology or an understanding of how it changes or flips.

All week in work everyone was convinced this was Ophelia type levels of storms and I was getting directed to the likes of RTE, and Dublin Live/Liberal articles about how bad this storm is going to hit and shut down the country.

I got slated and shouted down for the mere suggestion it was going to be a west coast event, and that it wasn't going to be bad at all here on the east coast. They all wanted a day off work and according to the media they should be getting it. It was going to be armageddon!

When I pointed them directy to the ME forecasts they were actually shocked because it painted a very different picture.

They've even said they are gonna stop listening to the media now and use ME own site going forward for updates on events like these.

I'm glad I was able to get people to listen!

That's all well and good but the likes of RTE and independent.ie were just as bad.

No one is going to keep going to M.E all the time for weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Tazio wrote: »
    I was told at work this morning, RTE (national broadcaster) had a 'Prime Time' Special on the storm at 21:30h last night. That must have been awkward to fill time? I must see if I can stream it today for the craic.

Make sure you do,it was comedy gold and i was genuinely laughing at the telly. Not a common occurrence whilst watching light entertainment or actual comedy on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Pfft! Severe storm??

I had stronger wind coming out of my bum after a curry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

HBC08 wrote: »
    Make sure you do,it was comedy gold and i was genuinely laughing at the telly. Not a common occurrence whilst watching light entertainment or actual comedy on RTE.

I felt bad for the coast guard lad.he didn’t want to be there and your one from the greens ranting about climate change.
    Be more in her line if she went off picking a bit of rubbish along the beach.
    Me and coast guard lad had a pain listening to her ranting like a demented jack Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I blame George Lee and the accent of doom meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Windy here in North Kerry last night. No damage as everything was away.

Gusts of 48 knots looking at windy.com.

Still a stiff breeze this morning

That sums it up. Those of us who are used to the wind etc on the west of the country put EVERYTHING away when there is this kind of warning as if we didn't there would be much more damage. We do it as a matter of routine. I had no problems but at my friends house it is a different story. She is away and I am taking care of her dog. I had tidied up a little but found flower pots, garden furniture etc scattered all over this morning. Her garden chairs ( not flimsy ones, quite substantial) are embedded in bushes and I will need help to retrieve them. Anything that wasn't tied down has moved.

Walked into the Technical thread. Sat down, yawned, scratched me balls. Said: 'That Lorenzo was a load of shi....' and the next thing I found myself lying flat on the floor of this thread!

These Mods are sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

teednab-el wrote: »
    Virgin media should realise how silly they were yesterday having reporters around the country saying how bad the storm was. Not a leaf fell off a tree here in kerry. Won't be taking it seriously any more.

And when something big does come nobody will believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RoisinD wrote: »
    That sums it up. Those of us who are used to the wind etc on the west of the country put EVERYTHING away when there is this kind of warning as if we didn't there would be much more damage. We do it as a matter of routine. I had no problems but at my friends house it is a different story. She is away and I am taking care of her dog. I had tidied up a little but found flower pots, garden furniture etc scattered all over this morning. Her garden chairs ( not flimsy ones, quite substantial) are embedded in bushes and I will need help to retrieve them. Anything that wasn't tied down has moved.

I thought I had everything safe away but found my big garden bin had somehow travelled a fair distance and round several sharp corners .. That was when the gale changed direction and intensity in the small hours out here. And in many western locations.

Unless you were in it you cannot make value judgements. Every few miles nearer the ocean or out into it intensified and increased the gale. and how much or little shelter the terrain you are in also is a factor. Local folk of long standing always downplay winds as they are inured to the worst storms of decades.
    Especially to outsiders! Like I was! Show no weakness... These are strong folk. Among locals there is very different emphasis. I hear very different appraisals than I did 2 years ago . Living here year round makes that difference.

Does not have to be a total disaster to be a serious and dangerous storm.

The episode that started around 4 am was a very different animal than what happened earlier out here.

I have had three decades of offshore island life; ten years way out in the North Sea and last night was a bad one to be respected out here at least

And the mentality that works on downplaying and demoting eludes.

west mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

were any of the models right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

I think the warnings are good Orange don't make unnecessary journeys, red don't leave the house. sounds good to me. some people just can't stay at home my OH been one of them. I think they should be no rescue service in orange or red warning why should people put themselves at risk for someone that's so stupid to be taken chances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

kerryjack wrote: »
    I think the warnings are good Orange don't make unnecessary journeys, red don't leave the house. sounds good to me. some people just can't stay at home my OH been one of them. I think they should be no rescue service in orange or red warning why should people put themselves at risk for someone that's so stupid to be taken chances.

Ridiculous comment to make

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

IMG-20191004-WA0005.jpg

Advertisement