Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Hoboo

snowgal wrote: »
    Really, where did you see that? I saw it on an email from yesterday but when I went to my 2 local stores there was nothing :confused:
    But there is another thread on this where ppl did get really good offers today.....

Saw it here. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/foodanddrink/wine-with-leslie-williams-celebrate-wine-sale-month-with-these-french-options-948807.html

Went in solely to grab a few bottles but nothing there at all, the aisle did seem very sparce so maybe today? Nothing on their site either.

Can you link the other thread please? Ill try a different store today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

On a search for Bud Light bottles, any hope?
    Are they available in the north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I would buy 5 bottles of Guiness extra in my local for €11 instead.

Failing that I’d brew a more flavourful, slightly higher percentage stout myself. Really not that hard.

As for the IPA being hoppy, now I know you’re taking the piss. It’s more of a pale ale than an IPA and there’s better pale ales out there.

I don’t buy pale ale that often but I know 8 degrees regularly have 5 bottles of pale ale for a tenner and yes they’re smaller bottles but a much much much better pale ale.

Hey if you like the guinness extra you should try the osheas stout in Aldi. I like it. Worth getting a bottle. 2.50 i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Could they also whoy they are at it investigate whoy Ireland has so many pharmacies and whoy doctors here get bungs from the big pharma to prescribe their drugs?

"This means travellers will be able to avail of cut-price alcohol and tobacco."

Wtf!! I know all about culture and minority group rights but this is taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,760 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Despite the fact that buying drink never damaged anyone's health.
    Unless of course you put your back out lifting all those cases into the boot :)

Don't forget coming up to the introduction of this stupid law that spirits store well so stock up.

Note: this issue has it's own thread - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057676265&page=260

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Forgot to add. Newry will be getting a visit every two months depending on brexit.

If there's a hard Brexit, expect customs to be clamping down hard on folk purchasing booze up north and driving it across the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Invincible

Hoboo wrote: »

Wtf!! I know all about culture and minority group rights but this is taking the piss.

You're having a laugh, think they meant commuters 😀
    When did that pr1ck Harris grow a beard...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Forgot to add. Newry will be getting a visit every two months depending on brexit.

You'd think the little bollix has more to be worried about. Thank god the health service is running like a mouses heart and the children's hospital is coming in €60m under budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Quackster wrote: »
    If there's a hard Brexit, expect customs to be clamping down hard on folk purchasing booze up north and driving it across the border.

Customs will have much bigger fish to fry than people with a couple of slabs. Also we could see the booze cruise to Holyhead coming back in fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You'd think the little bollix has more to be worried about. Thank god the health service is running like a mouses heart and the children's hospital is coming in €60m under budget.

I suggest you visit any A&E in the country on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night and see first hand what excessive alcohol consumption is doing.

Ask any consultant and they'll tell you that if you did not have all the alcohol related admissions, there'd be no people on trollies and there'd be a miniscule waiting list for procedures.

I dare you to just call in one A&E on a Saturday night. Your eyes will be opened to the harm caused by excessive alcohol consumption

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Darc19 wrote: »
    I suggest you visit any A&E in the country on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday night and see first hand what excessive alcohol consumption is doing.

Ask any consultant and they'll tell you that if you did not have all the alcohol related admissions, there'd be no people on trollies and there'd be a miniscule waiting list for procedures.

I dare you to just call in one A&E on a Saturday night. Your eyes will be opened to the harm caused by excessive alcohol consumption

You can dare me to do what you like. Just because you put your hand into the fire,doesn't mean I will. Your deluded if you think excessive alcohol consumption is the sole reason for people on trolleys.
    I hope you have a ladder to get off that high horse,and dont fall,because the A& E's are full of drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thats all great but.....is there any bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You can dare me to do what you like. Just because you put your hand into the fire,doesn't mean I will. Your deluded if you think excessive alcohol consumption is the sole reason for people on trolleys.
    I hope you have a ladder to get off that high horse,and dont fall,because the A& E's are full of drunks.
    Afraid of what you will see?

Ask any A&E nurse or doctor and they'll tell you the same.

Imo, Harris doesn't have the balls to go far enough on the restrictions to excessive alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe start a thread in the Sanctimony forum? :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

So call into A&E late on a Saturday night.....just about the time it's full of drunks spilling out of the pubs? The pubs that are not affected by MAP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,439 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

this thread and indeed forum is about bargains. It's got nothing to do with politics. Anyone posting things relating to hospitals and all the above will get a nice coloured card. Now back on track.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

O'Briens have an Irish Whiskey sale on
    There are a few interesting offers in there- nothing earth shattering- but a few nice reductions on decent single malts/single casks.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

stimpson wrote: »
    Customs will have much bigger fish to fry than people with a couple of slabs. Also we could see the booze cruise to Holyhead coming back in fashion.

Rules are rules. It should be much the same as the Norway/Sweden border where Swedish customs do random checks of vehicles that don't stop at the customs facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Hey if you like the guinness extra you should try the osheas stout in Aldi. I like it. Worth getting a bottle. 2.50 i think.

1.79 or 1.99 is all it is I think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Is Harris tee total?

What will this do to a slab of heineken on special offer 24 cans for 28 for example. Or a box of bottles for 20 quid. Still good value.

Don't think so, I've seen him in the local

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is Harris tee total?.
    Leo started this MUP nonsense when he was health minister. Remember this is NOT a tax, the retailers get the bulk of the profit, it's insane.
    What will this do to a slab of heineken on special offer 24 cans for 28 for example.
    it would be €40.71 but bear in mind there are loopholes to be exploited. The law attempts to cover some but fails misereably.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/act/2018/24/eng/enacted/a2418.pdf
    (1) The minimum price per gram of alcohol for the purposes of this Act shall be €0.10.

The quantity in grams of alcohol contained in an alcohol product shall be calculated
    using the following formula:
    A x B x .789 = C
    where—
    A is the volume, expressed in millilitres, of liquid contained in the alcohol product,
    B is the alcoholic strength by volume of the alcohol product, and
    C is the quantity in grams of alcohol contained in the alcohol product.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the like of dunnes, if no promotions etc are allowed they will more likely drop prices of many drinks. Many are already well above MUP and if people can not include alcohol in their ongoing 10/50 offer then they can afford to drop prices. There current prices obviously are set higher to take into account the big % of customers using 10/50 vouchers.

Back to bargains tesco have several vodkas discounted.
    absolut 700ml €19
    huzzar 700 17
    Wyborowa 700 19
    ketel one 700 28

flavoured absoluts are 21 for 700ml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

There are a few interesting offers in there- nothing earth shattering- but a few nice reductions on decent single malts/single casks.

Sale is fairly crap - €3-€5 off a lot of bottles and to be honest you'd get better value using Dunnes vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Irishman Founders Reserve for €30 is great value

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

rubadub wrote: »
    Leo started this MUP nonsense when he was health minister. Remember this is NOT a tax, the retailers get the bulk of the profit, it's insane.

it would be €40.71 but bear in mind there are loopholes to be exploited. The law attempts to cover some but fails misereably.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/act/2018/24/eng/enacted/a2418.pdf

It will be interesting to see what happens in the like of dunnes, if no promotions etc are allowed they will more likely drop prices of many drinks. Many are already well above MUP and if people can not include alcohol in their ongoing 10/50 offer then they can afford to drop prices. There current prices obviously are set higher to take into account the big % of customers using 10/50 vouchers.

Back to bargains tesco have several vodkas discounted.
    absolut 700ml €19
    huzzar 700 17
    Wyborowa 700 19
    ketel one 700 28

flavoured absoluts are 21 for 700ml

Its the vintners pushing it though. A miserable attempt to get customers through the door. Even at 40 quid for a slab its still much better value. Newry could be hit up depending on brexit / border situation.
    Even at that i wouldnt expect customs to be looking in your boot forna few cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

This is a f*cking joke. A nanny state now is it. A lot of people can’t even afford to drink in the pubs and now buying drink in shops is going to be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

The Irishman Founders Reserve for €30 is great value

The Yellowspot is excellent value @ €70 most places charging €85 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

Any decent value of bottles of Heineken? Looking to buy c.100 bottles for a party :D

BOBIDGE wrote: »
    Any decent value of bottles of Heineken? Looking to buy c.100 bottles for a party :D

20x330ml for €18 is the best I've seen. Centra until tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

20x330ml for €18 is the best I've seen. Centra until tomorrow.

I went to ASDA NI (passing) 2 weeks' ago. 3x12 300ml bottles for £21 pounds. none left though........missed the boat there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement