Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

cathalj wrote: »
    Why on earth would there be any waste in drinking a 500ml can !!??

If drinking from the can, a lot of people I know wouldn't bother drinking the last bit as it's no longer cold enough for them and 'tastes manky'.

Stubbies (330ml) are great that way as they stay cool all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

If drinking from the can, a lot of people I know wouldn't bother drinking the last bit as it's no longer cold enough for them and 'tastes manky'.

Sounds like a lot of people you know are drinking far too slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Are the importation limits the same for cider as beer when buying up north?, I'm assuming they are but would have also assumed there was no sparkling/non sparkling wine distinction either so thought it worth a check.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If drinking from the can

If you're not sitting in a field, don't drink from the can ffs

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

100 percent. Stubbies in anything decent are impossible to get over here though. Can get the heineken in the north.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a lot of people you know are drinking far too slowly.

Maybe you drink quickly. Maybe other people drink at their own pace.
    If you're not sitting in a field, don't drink from the can ffs

Or, you could do whatever you want and drink from a can.

Seriously, these 2 responses are like something you'd see on after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

100 percent. Stubbies in anything decent are impossible to get over here though. Can get the heineken in the north.

There's heaps of decent beers sold in 330ml cans, absolute heaps. Maybe not macros, but they're not decent anyway.

VW 1 wrote: »

There's heaps of decent beers sold in 330ml cans, absolute heaps. Maybe not macros, but they're not decent anyway.

Yeah it's improved no end in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

And here's my hippy self thinking the "waste" referred to the actual empty can. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I could do with a few macro 330mls cans for office events. 500ml cans always end up with dregs and bottles bit of hassle as no recycling nearby.

The budget doesn't stretch to craft territory :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I could do with a few macro 330mls cans for office events. 500ml cans always end up with dregs and bottles bit of hassle as no recycling nearby.

you can get grolsch in 330ML cans in LIDL.

odyssey06 wrote: »

I don't mind at all the 3-4 IPA options in 330ml cans from Aldi, and under 2 euro a can as well. I quite like the orange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Not sure if posted already
    491762.jpg

Peter File wrote: »
    you can get grolsch in 330ML cans in LIDL.

Usually cheap too. And not to different than Heineken.

Mostly craft ****e. That people convince themself is nice. Or drink because its fashionable to ask for a "jamaicans jizz" or what have you. There is a reason why the main stream beers are so popular and have such a big market share. They taste nice and have spent literally hundreds lf yeard getting it right.

Dunnes -

1L Smirnoff Red €27
    1L Absolut €28.50
    1L Paddy €30
    1L Powers €32.50

No idea how long these are on for, but were on-shelf tonight.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Dunnes -

1L Smirnoff Red €27
    1L Absolut €28.50
    1L Paddy €30
    1L Powers €32.50

No idea how long these are on for, but were on-shelf tonight.

Supervalue deal is better for me:)

Mostly craft ****e. That people convince themself is nice. Or drink because its fashionable to ask for a "jamaicans jizz" or what have you. There is a reason why the main stream beers are so popular and have such a big market share. They taste nice and have spent literally hundreds lf yeard getting it right.

What about Carlsberg? They spent decades trying to convince us it was "probably" the best beer in the world, then a few months ago they admitted it was shyte and they promised to make it better :rolleyes:

An awful lot of people drink beer not because they like it but because they think it's the thing to do, and they like getting pissed. They either don't like, or don't care, what it tastes like. Yet whatever it is they happen to be into, many of them will swear blind it's the nectar of the gods. People have done this about Guinness, Murphys, Beamish, Heineken, Carlsberg, even Bud ffs.

An interesting thing is to get an avowed drinker of Brand X and get them (while still reasonably sober) to do a blindfold taste test between Guinness, Smithwicks, even lagers. I've done it myself. It's surprisingly hard to tell. They're actually brewed to taste of not very much, not just because that is cheaper but because bland beer alienates fewer customers.

Your need to mock people who actually like beer that has a taste is laughable. Sure, there are w@nkers and tossers on this scene same as any other, but they're no worse than the eejits who claim that weak watery Irish-brewed "Heino" is a decent beer, or that there's some special magic in the way a certain pub serves a not very remarkable, weak, "stout" which has somehow become something close to our national drink. :rolleyes:

Guinness is far from the best stout in Ireland - heck, it's far from the best stout in Dublin - it has the best marketing, though.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

What about Carlsberg? They spent decades trying to convince us it was "probably" the best beer in the world, then a few months ago they admitted it was shyte and they promised to make it better :rolleyes:

An awful lot of people drink beer not because they like it but because they think it's the thing to do, and they like getting pissed. They either don't like, or don't care, what it tastes like. Yet whatever it is they happen to be into, many of them will swear blind it's the nectar of the gods. People have done this about Guinness, Murphys, Beamish, Heineken, Carlsberg, even Bud ffs.

An interesting thing is to get an avowed drinker of Brand X and get them (while still reasonably sober) to do a blindfold taste test between Guinness, Smithwicks, even lagers. I've done it myself. It's surprisingly hard to tell. They're actually brewed to taste of not very much, not just because that is cheaper but because bland beer alienates fewer customers.

Your need to mock people who actually like beer that has a taste is laughable. Sure, there are w@nkers and tossers on this scene same as any other, but they're no worse than the eejits who claim that weak watery Irish-brewed "Heino" is a decent beer, or that there's some special magic in the way a certain pub serves a not very remarkable, weak, "stout" which has somehow become something close to our national drink. :rolleyes:

Guinness is far from the best stout in Ireland - heck, it's far from the best stout in Dublin - it has the best marketing, though.

Fair play for a detailed response but an analogy to the micro v macro in terms of beer is McDonald's versus your local chipper. Guinness is McDonalds and your local chipper is a craft beer.

I have nothing against the macros but for my tastebuds the micro breweries offer a much better beer. Those that prefer the macro beers shouldn't feel under attack as that beer is safe as houses. I think everyone should approve the growth of micro breweries, the more choice the better.

Or because some people feel they are tasteless and bland, compared to what they enjoy. To each their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunnes -

1L Smirnoff Red €27
    1L Absolut €28.50
    as smirnoff is 37.5% and absolut is 40% the absolut is cheaper per unit. If the smirnoff was 40% it would be 28.80.

Absolut 70cl is 19 in tesco

Special OfferSAVE 7.69 Was 26.69 ...
    valid until 1/10/2019
    €19.00

If that absolut was 37.5% it would be €17.81 per 700ml

Jaysus touched a nerve did I ðŸ˜

We all have are own taste buds and opinions. That is mine. I rather like osheas extra stout from aldi or Mcgargles from Kilcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

This thread always goes off track from bargains to personal opinion, I couldn’t care less who drinks what or how much of a can they drink, once I get the drink I want at bargain prices.

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

OmegaGene wrote: »
    This thread always goes off track from bargains to personal opinion, I couldn’t care less who drinks what or how much of a can they drink, once I get the drink I want at bargain prices.

Spot on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

There must be some issue with your sense of taste, I haven't tried it but I reckon I could tell Guinness from Smithwicks by smell alone never mind taste.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

the spirits and beer forum is available via search function.
    The cheap booze bargain section is here.
    Hope that clears things up.

12 bottles of tiger for 11 euro in centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Anyone see slabs of bud about?

dodzy wrote: »
    Anyone see slabs of bud about?

20 bottles for 17 quid is the best i have seen in Tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Tesco have 40 x 440ml cans for 25

Sorry its 30 x 440 ml cans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement