Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sadly I'm not.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Hoboo wrote: »
    Is everyone on the dry or just no deals happening?

sorry, was on hols the last few weeks with ltd internet...lots of deals everywhere -
    the money I saved on alcohol there was enough to part fund my flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you're in the border area- Sainsburys have 15 year old Glenfiddich @ £40 a bottle and 12 year old @ £30 a bottle. Check if its in stock though- as its flying off the shelves at these prices (mostly to southern customers).........

Keep the border tips coming! I think I'll have to venture across the border while it's still open and you can fill your boot and Sterling is taking a tumble...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Keep the border tips coming! I think I'll have to venture across the border while it's still open and you can fill your boot and Sterling is taking a tumble...

£12 a 700ml bottle for limited edition Strawberries and Cream Baileys?
    (Sainsburys & Tesco)

Note: I think its ghastly sweet- but the wifey loves it.

Also- 25% off 6 or more bottles of bubbly (any type of bubbly) in Sainsburys this week.

Absolut Apple 50cl @ £12 a bottle (Sainsburys again)

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/absolut-vodka-apple-juice-edition-50cl

If anyone is going to Sainsburys- it opens at 8AM on a Sat morning in the Quays Newry (the Quays themselves don't open until 9AM)- but it doesn't open until 1.30PM on Sundays. Early Sat morning- the only cars in the carpark there tend to be Dublin and Kildare regs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Absolut Apple 50cl @ £12 a bottle (Sainsburys again)

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/absolut-vodka-apple-juice-edition-50cl

If anyone is going to Sainsburys- it opens at 8AM on a Sat morning in the Quays Newry (the Quays themselves don't open until 9AM)- but it doesn't open until 1.30PM on Sundays. Early Sat morning- the only cars in the carpark there tend to be Dublin and Kildare regs.

Any restriction on the times they sell alcohol? Is it once shop is open booze is on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

12 pack Guinness for €18 in Lidl.

2 for €24.

So basically €24 for a slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

2 for €24.

Same for bud water and Heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

2 for €24.

Same deal for Budweiser

HomePageTeaser_2360x570_Beer_IEWSL.png

Any restriction on the times they sell alcohol? Is it once shop is open booze is on sale?

Nope- no restrictions- there were people with full trolleys of spirits, wine and beer queuing at the checkout at 08.15 on Saturday morning. Me- I didn't bother, I was mostly interested in a bottle or two of Glenfiddich, but it was out of stock. Groceries are so damn expensive there these days anyway- other than alcohol, there just is no good reaosn to shop there (unless you're desperately trying to pickle your liver).

No is the short and simple- they sell alcohol from the moment they open the doors, none of our 10AM lark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No is the short and simple- they sell alcohol from the moment they open the doors, none of our 10AM lark.
    Pure madness, surely there are fist fights breaking out selling it that early, all those dipsos raring to go! lucky our leaders have sense.

The tesco €24 grolsch/molson/carling ends tomorrow

Special OfferAny 24 For 24.00 valid from 7/8/2019 until 3/9/2019

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Alid now have their own versions of Lidl's Argus 7.2% Strong Beer and Argus 6% called Halne Mocne - Mocne is Polish for Strong!

Both produced in Poland and very similar can design - black for 7% (bit lower) and red for 6%.

Same price as well €1.69.

Lidl might have missed a trick here by not stocking Argus on a permanent basis.

Bought a can - quite similar - but I think Argus tasted nicer.

m3tej8c.png
    4Izlj08.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Any beer with a bear on the can has to be quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lidl might have missed a trick here by not stocking Argus on a permanent basis.

Definitely. Lidl's normal range of canned beers is very very poor. It's a pain lugging home bottles when I don't have the car with me. Then another pain taking them to the bottle bank.

Tatra is the nicest beer they do, but they didn't even have it during the last Polish Week.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Definitely. Lidl's normal range of canned beers is very very poor. .

Have to agree .... my local Lidl has become very poor lately with choices , and even when they get in "guest beers" they stock minimal qty's and are sold out quickly.

Tesco

Molson & Carling cans (not grolsch anymore)
    Any 24 For 25.00
    valid from 4/9/2019 until 1/10/2019

Molson Canadian Premium Lager 20X330ml Bottle
    Special OfferSAVE 7.99 Was 22.99 Now 15.00
    valid from 4/9/2019 until 1/10/2019

Linden village flagons are a long term offer, not sure how long it was before, might always have been.
    Linden Village 2Litre Bottle
    Special OfferSAVE 1.40 Was 6.40 Now 5.00
    valid from 9/7/2019 until 21/1/2020

so €1.25 if it was 4 cans, but bear in mind it is 6%. If it was diluted down to the same strength as 4.5% bulmers it would be 5.33 cans. Linden village is made by bulmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

2 for €24.

Is that still on? I couldn’t find it on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I've been on the dry for the past 3 or so weeks, but have some people down the weekend and will be hitting the drink so need to stock up, and I see the special is ended in Tesco for the Grolsch ? If anyone has any info on Coors light or Grolsch, please do let me know.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

No, was only valid Sat and Sun to celebrate all Ireland final so may be back in 2 weeks!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

RayCon wrote: »
    Have to agree .... my local Lidl has become very poor lately with choices , and even when they get in "guest beers" they stock minimal qty's and are sold out quickly.

Their bottled Ale selection is brilliant and great value today.

• Advertisement

I got 24x440ml 4.3% heineken cans for €27 in tesco, said reduced from €30. It had Irish references on the cans, thought they were bringing in UK market stuff. On tesco uk site it shows it is 5% there.

This does not show online.

If these were the regular 500ml can that works out at €30.68 for 24x500ml, or €1.28 per 500ml can.

If its the same price per litre I would definitely prefer the smaller size can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

rubadub wrote: »
    I got 24x440ml 4.3% heineken cans for €27 in tesco, said reduced from €30. It had Irish references on the cans, thought they were bringing in UK market stuff. On tesco uk site it shows it is 5% there.

This does not show online.

If these were the regular 500ml can that works out at €30.68 for 24x500ml, or €1.28 per 500ml can.

If its the same price per litre I would definitely prefer the smaller size can.

I don’t think I have ever seen these smaller cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I don’t think I have ever seen these smaller cans.

Standard size in GB and over the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

If anyone has any info on Coors light or Grolsch, please do let me know.

Cheers

My local Lidl have 12packs of 330ml Grolsch (cans) 2 for €22 ... so a little less than €1 per can (albeit small cans) ... not bad.

If anyone has a UK address they can use- Amazon have 15 year old Glenfiddich 70cl @ £34 a bottle.
    Note- don't even try to use addresspal, they have cracked down massively on fluids..........(never mind alcohol).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

rubadub wrote: »

Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come, go 500ml or go home, smaller cans are a pain in the hole, hardly worth your while coming back with a single can from the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The own label Steam Brew doesn't get great reviews - general feedback is it's just about worth the price (€1 in Germany)

So allowing for duty on a high alcohol content and extra vat, the 4 for €6 is about the standard price.

Don't expect to be wowed, but probably drinkable enough

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Darc19 wrote: »
    The own label Steam Brew doesn't get great reviews - general feedback is it's just about worth the price (€1 in Germany)

So allowing for duty on a high alcohol content and extra vat, the 4 for €6 is about the standard price.

Don't expect to be wowed, but probably drinkable enough

The steamboat stuff is only ok tbh. The stout is thin and flavourless which is mental for a strong stout. Better off with Guinness extra.

The other prices are **** too. Nothing of note there at all imo.

Might grab a few bottles of the imperial abbey beer but other than that, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭snowgal

Yes and lidl French wine sale is on tomorrow too, usually a good few decent offers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

I didn't care for the stout or beer, but loved the red ale. All steam brew cans of course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement