Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

rubadub wrote: »
    I know there is a tradition of it, think I said before it makes no real sense to me, if they know people are going to be buying loads of booze why discount it? price going
    up would make more sense, like hotel prices around a venue when a big match or concert is on.

tesco, not great offer but, 1.33 a can
    Bulmers Original 12X50cl Can
    Special OfferSAVE 2.00 Was 18.00 Now 16.00
    valid from 4/9/2019 until 1/10/2019

Why would u promote that? Comparing hotel prices to drink prices makes no sense , a lot of people would get caught paying for expensive hotel prices cause they have no choice and need to stay there where’s u can always shop around for booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

I know there is a tradition of it, think I said before it makes no real sense to me, if they know people are going to be buying loads of booze why discount it? price going
    up would make more sense, like hotel prices around a venue when a big match or concert is on.

There would be nowhere near the same volume of booze bought if there were not as many and as heavy discounts as there are. Especially at seasonal times of the year. If they didn't discount it, it wouldn't be bought to the level it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Lidl are doing 2 x 12 cans of Guinness for €28 just today

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fin12 wrote: »
    where’s u can always shop around for booze.
    yeah, was not a good comparison when you put it like that.
    wardides wrote: »
    If they didn't discount it, it wouldn't be bought to the level it is.
    yeah but I wonder it it is worthwhile to them. They might make more profit selling 1/4 the amount at over double the discounted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,694 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The reason for discounted drink is to attract foot fall to the supermarket in the hopes of keeping them for the seasonal grocery shopping and longer, much the same as any promotion really

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cutelad

Feck this marching for green agenda, the offers are so poor at the moment we may have to march for this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cutelad wrote: »
    Feck this marching for green agenda, the offers are so poor at the moment we may have to march for this

Hang on for Brexit and the return of the Booze cruises- or simply head up the road to Newry/Armagh/Enniskillen/Sprucefield/Derry etc..........

(as I unload a few bottles of Sainsbury's finest white Rioja into the fridge.......)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Hang on for Brexit and the return of the Booze cruises- or simply head up the road to Newry/Armagh/Enniskillen/Sprucefield/Derry etc..........

(as I unload a few bottles of Sainsbury's finest white Rioja into the fridge.......)

Confirmation now of customs checks on the border in the event of a hard Brexit so make the most of those trips up North over the next few weeks!

Quackster wrote: »
    Confirmation now of customs checks on the border in the event of a hard Brexit so make the most of those trips up North over the next few weeks!

Feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

Feckers.
    cant have checks on all the back roads though:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭elperello

oceanman wrote: »

Unapproved roads.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

oceanman wrote: »

It'll be like the Norway/Sweden border where you can cross freely and, if needs be, stop at the customs post to make a declaration.

For traffic that doesn't stop, random checkpoints are carried out to check they're not carrying undeclared goods etc.

So if you're carrying alcohol over the duty-free limit and don't stop, most likely you'll get away with it. But it is smuggling and, if you are caught, you'll be hit in the pocket.

What are the duty free limits from third countries does anyone know.
    I got a headache trying to figure from Citizens Advice Bureau........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What are the duty free limits from third countries does anyone know.
    I got a headache trying to figure from Citizens Advice Bureau........

Any good ?

https://www.tripsavvy.com/an-overview-of-irish-customs-regulations-1542782

vicwatson wrote: »

1 litre of spirits, 4 litres of still wine and 16 litres of beer..........
    Thats not going to go very far...........

I sound like an alcoholic............

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Or think of it this way, someone who throws epic gaff parties. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Or think of it this way, someone who throws epic gaff parties. ;)

Yes, house parties....

>.>

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Quackster wrote: »

Guess your not a border dweller back in the day as a kid I sat on bottles of whiskey for my grandmother ya never took the main road home the UVF were a bigger risk to meet than the customs

Centra
    Stella Artois 20 x half pint bottles €14

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

sligono1 wrote: »
    Guess your not a border dweller back in the day as a kid I sat on bottles of whiskey for my grandmother ya never took the main road home the UVF were a bigger risk to meet than the customs
    Anyone up north this could be a good one to look out for in Tesco:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hakushu-single-malt-distillers-reserve-in-store-at-tesco-3299907

• Advertisement

Anyone up north this could be a good one to look out for in Tesco:
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hakushu-single-malt-distillers-reserve-in-store-at-tesco-3299907

Nice World Cup link there, especially if drunk with a Guinness chaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

elperello wrote: »
    Centra
    Stella Artois 20 x half pint bottles €14

Are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all a little warning to buying a slab in Tesco of Heineken.... The cans are only 440ml and not the normal 500ml.

I thought I was imagining it myself that there was less in the pint glass but never looked and only realised as I bought a slab in Dunnes which I put the cans into the fridge and had 3 left from Tesco purchase and couldn't believe it....

I never knew there were 440ml cans in a slab before.

Be aware.

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Are you sure?

So sure that I'm on my second bottle :)

Seriously though it may be only a local offer. Often happens with Centra and Super Valu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi all a little warning to buying a slab in Tesco of Heineken.... The cans are only 440ml and not the normal 500ml.

I thought I was imagining it myself that there was less in the pint glass but never looked a d only realised as I bought a slab in Dunnes which I put the cans into the fridge and had 3 left from Tesco purchase and couldn't believe it....

I never knew there were 440ml cans in a slab before.

Be aware.

440 ml is better imo. Less waste amd cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Why on earth would there be any waste in drinking a 500ml can !!??

What the actual f????

Oh by the way cost was actually more for the smaller when I purchased as I had got previous 500ml x24 for €20

440ml were €30 and then went to €27.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Oh by the way cost was actually more for the smaller when I purchased as I had got previous 500ml x24 for €20

440ml were €30 and then went to €27.
    a sneaky pricewise :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

440ml! I'm no Sasanach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement