Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

What did you get paid for that specific lamb?

Had he hogget teeth and used that grade to pay a different price per kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

What did you get paid for that specific lamb?

Same as the rest. Up to the 21kg at 4.90. 102.9 before deductions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Same as the rest. Up to the 21kg at 4.90. 102.9 before deductions.

I hate seeing the factories getting so much free meat

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

ganmo wrote: »
    I hate seeing the factories getting so much free meat

It means they don't have to pay as much for the rest of it too. Free meat = lower price.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

In that batch they got 50kg of meat for nothing. 250 odd euro gone or fat trimmed as they would tell ya. Our own fault really as we were waiting for withdrawl from dip.
    We also got 5 killed for the freezer (anyone want to buy half/full lamb carcass :D) heavier lambs that killed out at 25kg, had some yesterday and there was no excessive amounts of fat. Total bull!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

In that batch they got 50kg of meat for nothing. 250 odd euro gone or fat trimmed as they would tell ya. Our own fault really as we were waiting for withdrawl from dip.
    We also got 5 killed for the freezer (anyone want to buy half/full lamb carcass :D) heavier lambs that killed out at 25kg, had some yesterday and there was no excessive amounts of fat. Total bull!!

Chops don't fit in the trays and the legs are too expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Well, the flip side is we know the spec, its up to us as farmers to fit that spec.

There is a butcher market for heavier lambs, I know its prob not as big a market, but still...

wrangler wrote: »
    Chops don't fit in the trays and the legs are too expensive

I don't believe it. You're talking mm on a pack of chops. Meat isn't ridged! The leg being too expensive makes some sense but yet they will be paying 22kg+ in a few months time?

Do you think they really trim 'excess' away?

I don't believe it. You're talking mm on a pack of chops. Meat isn't ridged! The leg being too expensive makes some sense but yet they will be paying 22kg+ in a few months time?

Do you think they really trim 'excess' away?
    You've obviously never seen them filling the trays, be worth your while in ICM camolin if they allow you, there's a tiny tiny difference in the weight of the packs of four chops, bigger chops just wouldn't fit, they have to ''encourage'' farmers to send in the right size lambs.
    Don't know how they adjust for heavier lambs in autumn
    They can sell a percentage of lambs at 23+kg but not them all

Seen it in ballyhaunis Dawn Meats. Got fed the usually stuff. He also claimed there profit margin was 2%. I was too quiet a person to question him on it in front of a group.
    So they buy a lamb at 100, by the time it comes out the other end of the factory and is sold they have made 2 euro. It seems small but at 5k lambs a week it adds up. But what allows for the 2% profit when prices can go from 4.50-6.50 in the year.

Edit* that packing I seen was beef come to think of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭kk.man

Seen it in ballyhaunis Dawn Meats. Got fed the usually stuff. He also claimed there profit margin was 2%. I was too quiet a person to question him on it in front of a group.
    So they buy a lamb at 100, by the time it comes out the other end of the factory and is sold they have made 2 euro. It seems small but at 5k lambs a week it adds up. But what allows for the 2% profit when prices can go from 4.50-6.50 in the year.

Edit* that packing I seen was beef come to think of it.
    The margin in sheep meat is around 2 or 3% but as you say 5k lambs per week is where the money is at. If skins take a knocking the farmer will not see much of a price rise. The big money is in beef and the sheep plants are the 'poor' relation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

has anyone seen that ewe throughput numbers are 50% ahead of where they were in irish factories last year. this means northern and english ewes are being culled off at a huge rate, should leave the price good for hoggets and spring lamb next april and into the following march/april/may 2021

Dickie10 wrote: »
    has anyone seen that ewe throughput numbers are 50% ahead of where they were in irish factories last year. this means northern and english ewes are being culled off at a huge rate, should leave the price good for hoggets and spring lamb next april and into the following march/april/may 2021

https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/farmers/prices-markets/sheep-throughput/

irish factories are down 20% not up 50%, current hogget prices would suggest more ppl buying breeding animals too

Yes NI and UK are up in their slaughter figures but brexit would be a factor there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Dickie10 wrote: »

Ah Dickie, you're only saying that cos you're busing store lambs up from Kenmare at a woeful rate... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭roosky

knackers yard is closed due to strikes and a sheep is dead...what are my options

roosky wrote: »
    knackers yard is closed due to strikes and a sheep is dead...what are my options

Ring the dept, that's the advise at the min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

roosky wrote: »

Ring the Dept was the advice I was given when ringing for an animal on Tuesday. I reckon they will have to issue burial licences if it's not sorted by tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Thinking on spreading 18-6-12 for grazing middle off next week with this good weather forecast. Anybody still spreading can? Anybody know soul tempatures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Lambman wrote: »
    Thinking on spreading 18-6-12 for grazing middle off next week with this good weather forecast. Anybody still spreading can? Anybody know soul tempatures?

Do you not know the rules governing the spreading of artificial fertilizer?

Saturday is the last day for spreading artifical N and P on the farm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Saturday is the last day for spreading artifical N and P on the farm

Spread the last of fert here two days ago and now finished for the season. Cannt understand the fert laws. If common sense prevailed, they’d allow spreading sept/ oct , instead of January / feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Cran

Killed two Jan pedigree lambs here last year first week in August, one got hurt & other had fertility issues. Carcase’s were 38kg and 45kg, absolutely fantastic meat best had in long time and very little fat but everything was huge 1/2 legs were like large full normal ones 😂

Didn't realize Saturday was these last day till be honest. Stupid rule can't get a dry day this week till go at it and giving a great week next week.

Didn't realize Saturday was these last day till be honest. Stupid rule can't get a dry day this week till go at it and giving a great week next week.

You can still spread K and Granlime after Saturday...

You can still spread K and Granlime after Saturday...

Can you get k by its self ?

Edit, just remembered, the muriah of potash bags !!!

You can't spread in the weather we had this last 3 weeks have till be done Saturday then so ����

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

If lambs are making maggots now Cause they are gone past the treatment time of clikzin, would ye go again with clik, seen it’s so late in the year? These are lambs I’ll be keeping for breeding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

If lambs are making maggots now Cause they are gone past the treatment time of clikzin, would ye go again with clik, seen it’s so late in the year? These are lambs I’ll be keeping for breeding

Get them sheared this week would be my advice

Was tired of seeing near factory / butcher ready lambs getting destroyed, so did mine with clikzin last weekend. 7 day withdrawal, so can go back to selling them again this week.

• Advertisement

Was tired of seeing near factory / butcher ready lambs getting destroyed, so did mine with clikzin last weekend. 7 day withdrawal, so can go back to selling them again this week.

Maggots are vicious this time of the year

Advertisement