Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Lambman wrote: »
    Top off the hoof looks like that picture there with bare skin showing but this boys hoofs are perfect so far anyways. Any advice what else till try him with? Don't wanna keep injecting him with la300 much longer.

If its Cod the la300 wont work. Tell the vet the symptoms and the will give you. Cant remember the name. But had to buy a bottle last yr for bought in hoggets..cost me 197 euro is all i remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Top off the hoof looks like that picture there with bare skin showing but this boys hoofs are perfect so far anyways. Any advice what else till try him with? Don't wanna keep injecting him with la300 much longer.

I don't know, bathing it in hot water a couple times a day might help, It's obviously an infection and alamycin isn't hitting it. I'd be going to the vet with him, he probably needs a different antibiotic or there could be be something in the foot
    It's typical of rams, they'd be fluting around all year, not a bother, then three weeks before mating down they go

Ard_MC wrote: »
    If its Cod the la300 wont work. Tell the vet the symptoms and the will give you. Cant remember the name. But had to buy a bottle last yr for bought in hoggets..cost me 197 euro is all i remember!

Yes, Codd is hard cured, never had it here but a neighbour did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Aul fella has herd test tomorrow will get vet till look at him then.... Is codd contagious? I'm feeding 5 rams around 1 trough there at the minute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Aul fella has herd test tomorrow will get vet till look at him then.... Is codd contagious? I'm feeding 5 rams around 1 trough there at the minute.

Yeah, tis contagious. Had it here a few years ago. Think the vet gave us stuff called linocin but not sure it’s that the right spelling. Killed the infection very fast and they recovered fully after about a week

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Yeah, tis contagious. Had it here a few years ago. Think the vet gave us stuff called linocin but not sure it’s that the right spelling. Killed the infection very fast and they recovered fully after about a week

Thats right, lincocin or lincomycin, It used to be used in a footbath as well for bad foot rot, couldn't remember the name last night.

I went over to the darkside at the Sheep Ireland sale last Saturday, we bought a double five star charollais hogget ram of James Murphys for €500......... lovely ram

wrangler wrote: »
    I went over to the darkside at the Sheep Ireland sale last Saturday, we bought a double five star charollais hogget ram of James Murphys for €500......... lovely ram

What was trade like at it? U passed the vendeens!

What was trade like at it? U passed the vendeens!

I;m culling two old vendeens next year. so we didn't need a ram but thought we'd try this one at the price, A friend was interested in a great vendeen that I would've bid for so left it to her as there was only a few vendeens. Between this years vendeen premier and the Sheep Ireland sale, twelve vendeen rams have been bought by Tommy Boland UCD.
    Trade wasn't dear, 4 -800 would've bought 95% of the rams, the price average was €548 across the board

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Between this years vendeen premier and the Sheep Ireland sale, twelve vendeen rams have been bought by Tommy Boland UCD.

Has he some sort of new trial going on?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Bought a rouge ram lamb on Sunday after going till look at some with a friend he bought 1 I bought 1. Know nothing about the breed but real good looking sheep and I don't know how this boy with sore foot is gonna come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What price did the nice vendeen go?

What price did the nice vendeen go?

A hogget 620, he was a beaut,he was built like a tank with a leg on four corners, my charolais wouldn't be a patch on him, charolais are getting very narrow in the shoulders

Has he some sort of new trial going on?

No Stephen Lott farm manager said he finds them great sheep, very lively when born

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

What ye make of beltex? Friend of mine bought one at the weekend, he looks a beaut to be fair

A hogget 620, he was a beaut,he was built like a tank with a leg on four corners, my charolais wouldn't be a patch on him, charolais are getting very narrow in the shoulders

I noticed that in charolais, bought a nice thick charollais last year but he lacked the length imo, a big sheep man near us that would have traditionally used charollais across all ewes is now beginning to use texel on mature ewes and charollais on ewe lambs only,

I noticed that in charolais, bought a nice thick charollais last year but he lacked the length imo, a big sheep man near us that would have traditionally used charollais across all ewes is now beginning to use texel on mature ewes and charollais on ewe lambs only,

I'd think Chartex now..... Growth rate with conformation eh

What ye make of beltex? Friend of mine bought one at the weekend, he looks a beaut to be fair

Not a big fan reckon you'd need to be in that qualeutex group for it to be worth it, 30c/kg bonus

Yep that'd be it, tj Gormley offered us one years ago but we didn't bother, fine sheep n o doubt, if crossed with texel ewes there'd be a nice bit of texel in the lamb

Not a big fan reckon you'd need to be in that qualeutex group for it to be worth it, 30c/kg bonus

and no bonus for Rs, our deal is way better than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

and no bonus for Rs, our deal is way better than that

Is that deal just thought your producer group? What are the specs of it?

Is that deal just thought your producer group? What are the specs of it?

Rs AND Us 2s and 3s get bonuses,17kg to the same max weight as most

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

When you say Chartex. Do you mean running a Char ram with Tex ewes

RobinBanks wrote: »

There's supposed to be a difference in the way they're crossed but the texel ewe would make a better mother I'd imagine

RobinBanks wrote: »

No id say he is talkin about a hybrid chartex ram wrangler off with the ewes.

Sorry wrangler please ignore. Down with "manflu" here and read the post arse ways.

Post wasn't clear either, I'm referring to a pedigree charolais crossed with a pedigree texel and using a ram out of that as a terminal sire.
    Despite your manflu you explained it better than me.
    Ryan Texels have some have some chartex in their sale in blessington on saturday.
    Actually don't know whether it's a Ryan sale or a texel sale

Post wasn't clear either, I'm referring to a pedigree charolais crossed with a pedigree texel and using a ram out of that as a terminal sire.
    Despite your manflu you explained it better than me.
    Ryan Texels have some have some chartex in their sale in blessington on saturday.
    Actually don't know whether it's a Ryan sale or a texel sale

Yeah, there was some cracking chartex at the sale in carrick a few weeks ago. Hybrid rams seem to be getting more popular this year.

Yeah, there was some cracking chartex at the sale in carrick a few weeks ago. Hybrid rams seem to be getting more popular this year.

What did they make, a neighbour wants me to go to Blessington with him for the drive, but he's concerned that there's only eight Chartex in the sale and will be too dear

• Advertisement

What did they make, a neighbour wants me to go to Blessington with him for the drive, but he's concerned that there's only eight Chartex in the sale and will be too dear

They averaged €581.

Advertisement