Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

roosky wrote: »
    I have an uneven number of ewe lambs to vaccinate, would it be a waste giving them 1.7 ml each instead of the 2 ml each

I’d say the manufacturer’s instructions would say use the 2.0ml or cannot guarantee it’s a success ! Pain as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

roosky wrote: »
    I have an uneven number of ewe lambs to vaccinate, would it be a waste giving them 1.7 ml each instead of the 2 ml each

What are you vaccinating then with ? covexin is only 1ml. Very easy to misread the bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

We're they dipped would be high up anyways for me as I bought hoggets that ended up with lscab and they were a bad mess and infected everything else they were with. Feet also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

DJ98 wrote: »
    When buying sheep (ewes) privately what kind of things should you ask and lookout for? I know age and lambing history are probaly the obvious ones along with checking mouths and underneath.

Anything that is in very strong order was probably a dry ewe. It is always worth investigating to see if there is a reason for that. Some sheep's udders will inflate and the lamb wont be able to suck. This time of the year it may have gone back to very close to normal size, so worth paying close attention to. Quizzing the seller about her and listening closely to how they answer is worth doing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭roosky

What are you vaccinating then with ? covexin is only 1ml. Very easy to misread the bottle

Heptavac P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Lambman wrote: »
    Many of u guys change rams? Bought 2 more texel a lamb and hogget and a 4year old Lanark. Got rid off a crossing Leicester a charollais and a texel. Going till lamb main flock 2 weeks later and horned ewes a month later.

Why did you decide to lamb later this year later lambman?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

When covering sheep for lepto and abortion how long prior to mating with ram have they to be injected?

Seems there is a shortage of the vaccines up here in NW anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When covering sheep for lepto and abortion how long prior to mating with ram have they to be injected?

I've seen 3 and 4 weeks before recommended for abortion, why are you covering for lepto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

wrangler wrote: »

I've seen 3 and 4 weeks before recommended for abortion, why are you covering for lepto

Sorry meant to say for Enzootic and Toxo....have been doing first time lambers for last few years as had small issue with both before.
    I feel it’s better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

390 kid. Grass was slow coming here at lambing time last year would be main reason for lambing later running more ewes now than I would be fit till keep housed after lambing if we got a bad spell a weather aswell. 2 more bits a sheds till go up when I get the time but likely not be this year now. Seen a man lambed a month after me selling all his ram lambs in 1 batch (doesn't keep alot of ewes) a few weeks ago averaged over 48kg off grass mines weren't doing that being a month older.

• Advertisement

Got my sheep dipped yesterday, contractor was very concientious, did a good job, cost about 1.60/hd.
    My tenants filled in my own dipping bath last year while I was away in NZ.
    I had to draw them to a neighbour, I used his 14ft jeep trailer, carried fifty at a time.
    Nice few with maggots even though only 5 weeks shorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Got my sheep dipped yesterday, contractor was very concientious, did a good job, cost about 1.60/hd.
    I had to draw them to a neighbour, I used his 14ft jeep trailer, carried fifty at a time.

Plunge or shower dipper? Tenants should got a warning over that! ðŸ˜

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Plunge or shower dipper? Tenants should got a warning over that! ðŸ˜

Plunge,
    Once you farm is set you have to turn a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Plunge,
    Once you farm is set you have to turn a blind eye.

Yah but u wonder what ppl be thinkin sometimes. Hardly was much hassle for them leave it be.

Shower i use here. But think the plunge be a better job. Is it much bigger than the shower? as i can just about fit the shower up the rd to my yard.

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Yah but u wonder what ppl be thinkin sometimes. Hardly was much hassle for them leave it be.

Shower i use here. But think the plunge be a better job. Is it much bigger than the shower? as i can just about fit the shower up the rd to my yard.

It's about twenty foot long, seven foot wide, neighbours yard was very tight yet he got it in.
    this is him.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=352785595465674

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It's about twenty foot long, seven foot wide, neighbours yard was very tight yet he got it in.
    this is him.
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=352785595465674

Very nice, simple design the way the sheep fall into the tank...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

Is there anyone here using galvanised walk through feeders? Looking for dimensions and ballpark prices.
    TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

Had a store lamb with maggots this morning vicious at this time of year.
    So much for an easy Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

When are people planning on letting out rams this year, usually let them out around the 5th here but planning on waiting until another 2 weeks this year as grass was very very slow to come this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

When are people planning on letting out rams this year, usually let them out around the 5th here but planning on waiting until another 2 weeks this year as grass was very very slow to come this year.

Let out the ram 10 days ago, grass this spring was as good as ever we got, make sure to close your paddocks from about the third week of October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Rams went out Thursday. Got them all shower dipped same day and off they went.
    The ram lamb for replacement I bought didn't stretch as much as I'd have liked but ran him with 15 and see what comes out of them.

MeTheMan wrote: »
    Rams went out Thursday. Got them all shower dipped same day and off they went.
    The ram lamb for replacement I bought didn't stretch as much as I'd have liked but ran him with 15 and see what comes out of them.
    Is it safe to let rams off with ewes straight after dipping?

Safe in what sense? That the dip might put the rams off sniffing about? Or harm them when checking heat?

We hadn't planned it that way tbh. The dipper man was meant to come the day before but got held up. Was going to let them go the day after. Was away for the weekend then. Couldn't see what harm it would do if only put a ram off for a day or two?

The replacement ram who is raddled made a hop on 3 by the morning so he wasn't put off. Then again, he'd be a randy teenager in the sheep world. Get up on the crack of a plate!

MeTheMan wrote: »

Safe in what sense? That the dip might put the rams off sniffing about? Or harm them when checking heat?

We hadn't planned it that way tbh. The dipper man was meant to come the day before but got held up. Was going to let them go the day after. Was away for the weekend then. Couldn't see what harm it would do if only put a ram off for a day or two?

The replacement ram who is raddled made a hop on 3 by the morning so he wasn't put off. Then again, he'd be a randy teenager in the sheep world. Get up on the crack of a plate!
    Our dipper recommends waiting a 4 or 5 days as he reckons the dip can burn the ram when he's mounting

Our dipper recommends waiting a 4 or 5 days as he reckons the dip can burn the ram when he's mounting

It could be a possibility, I'll keep an eye for any signs of discomfort. Dip on the privates wouldn't be nice.
    It certainly wasn't an ideal situation, giving the amount of rain that fell Thursday evening/night any dip that wasn't soaked into the wool would be well washed off by the morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trying to sort out a lease here at the moment with a neighbour.

Once it’s witnessed by a solicitor, do you need to also send to Revenue along with your tax return?

The previous lease was handled thru an estate agent but we’re not using them this time

Thanks

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

How are cull ewes going ? Is there much of a trade with them ?

Anyone know of anywhere that makes the 9 bar sheep gates, 6ft long? Buffalo steel make them but only 9ft up.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gazahayes

Anyone know of anywhere that makes the 9 bar sheep gates, 6ft long? Buffalo steel make them but only 9ft up.

Try gibney's most Co-op stock them and can get them in for you
    http://gibneysteel.com/products/agricultural/gates-gate-fitings/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

lads i have never seen the ewes come into heat so quickly and be covered so quick . let 3 rams out with 72 ewes on sept 24th all covered by october 6th. the other batch for breeeding replacements had 26 ewes and 2 rams all covered within that span as well. i didnt exactly do ram effect , i had rams in field next door then let them out 12 days later.

Advertisement