Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,089 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Ard_MC wrote: »
    They averaged €581.

Fair to both farmer and breeder

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

wrangler wrote: »
    Fair to both farmer and breeder

Yeah for sure. Think ill be in the hunt for a texel myself this year myself. Id say Ryan's sale would be hard to beat but its a long drive from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A quick question, folks.

I have a bit of sheep fencing to do this Autumn and a neighbour has a couple of hundred meters of fox wire, high tensile, little damage done but easily sorted, that he might be willing to sell.

Seeing as new is coming in around 110 euro for 100m, what would be a fair price to offer him for it?

A quick question, folks.

I have a bit of sheep fencing to do this Autumn and a neighbour has a couple of hundred meters of fox wire, high tensile, little damage done but easily sorted, that he might be willing to sell.

Seeing as new is coming in around 110 euro for 100m, what would be a fair price to offer him for it?

My dairy farming tenants pulled up a lot of my sheep fencing and the best I could get was half price on Done deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

My dairy farming tenants pulled up a lot of my sheep fencing and the best I could get was half price on Done deal

I was thinking of offering 50/100m, I don't want to fall out with him over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I was thinking of offering 50/100m, I don't want to fall out with him over it.

The one time I reused sheep wire, it didnt hold the strain the second time around and sagged very quickly.

Anyone else found this, or was it just I made a bags of putting it up that day ;) :rolleyes:

The one time I reused sheep wire, it didnt hold the strain the second time around and sagged very quickly.

Anyone else found this, or was it just I made a bags of putting it up that day ;) :rolleyes:

I put up 200mtrs of my old sheepwire two years ago and still fine,
    I'm putting up rolls at the moment that were rolled up two years ago and it still takes a pull with the tractor
    Are you sure it's high tensile

I put up 200mtrs of my old sheepwire two years ago and still fine,
    I'm putting up rolls at the moment that were rolled up two years ago and it still takes a pull with the tractor
    Are you sure it's high tensile

No, tis high tensile all right, 8/80/15 stuff I had dividing a field and took down. And then when I put it back up, I thought it wasn't as good to take a pull...
    But - I wouldn't ever claim to be the worlds best man at fencing, so it could well have been the operator at fault :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What did they make, a neighbour wants me to go to Blessington with him for the drive, but he's concerned that there's only eight Chartex in the sale and will be too dear

https://www.donedeal.ie/sheep-for-sale/sheep/22870084

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Siamsa used 2 chartex rams this year he might post up pics. I have 1 chartex ram lamb kept he's bred purebred charollais ram x purebred beltex ewe bought off a friend 60kg off grass alone started till throw him a bitta meal this past week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Lambman wrote: »
    Siamsa used 2 chartex rams this year he might post up pics. I have 1 chartex ram lamb kept he's bred purebred charollais ram x purebred beltex ewe bought off a friend 60kg off grass alone started till throw him a bitta meal this past week.

I'll try upload a few pics later.

They're nice looking rams and were very active with the ewes. Plenty shape without being too big. Most of our ewes would be fairly maternal (Llyen, Belclare, mule-X), and some are a little leggy, so hopefully the Texel blood in the CharTex rams will add shape while the Charollais blood will help them lamb easier.

That's the theory but we'll know the reality around 10-Jan when lambing starts.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jimbo789

How does a Blue Texel compare with a Texel? Would it be more similar to a Beltex?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Wrangler, Following on from where to vaccinate lambs in the neck, would this be the best location ? Don’t want to devalue any carcass

Wrangler, Following on from where to vaccinate lambs in the neck, would this be the best location ? Don’t want to devalue any carcass

That's where I do them anyway, I pull out the piece of skin, when I'm doing them.
    OH just puts in the needle when she's doing them, both seem to work

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Anyone ever use Blue Texel rams and how have they preformed?? - just read a very positive write up about them on another platfrom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

What's the best ram to use on belclare ewes? Suffolk texel or charolais?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have not being following the factory protests story in last few days,are sheep for factories still being blocked from entry?....have come across a few late ewes for culling but no point trying to sell them in Mart if factory agent buyers won’t be there to buy them.Ewes from around here would generally go to Athleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone here ever graze beet tops before? Have 10 acres too graze whenever it’s cut and am wondering how long you’d get out of it ? 100 ewes we’ll say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

We got lambs away to kildare on Thursday. Not sure about the other factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Is the journal correct, no sheep processed in Ballyhaunis or Athleague last week and lambs are backing up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Is the journal correct, no sheep processed in Ballyhaunis or Athleague last week and lambs are backing up?

We had lambs to go to ballyhaunis. The father rang to book them and was told not to send them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Thinking about dosing lambs for fluke. Any other new fluke products on the market that would do the job, without the long withdrawal ? The changed withdrawal period on duotech, rules it out on near ready factory lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Thinking about dosing lambs for fluke. Any other new fluke products on the market that would do the job, without the long withdrawal ? The changed withdrawal period on duotech, rules it out on near ready factory lambs.

Albex 2.5% has only 4 day withdrawal period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

What does, minerals or other treatments do lads give to ewes prior to breeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Just used turbo sheep twice last year had a very good scan with it and a compact lambing. Think they renamed it this year.. used till throw lick buckets till the horned ewes but it's a costly job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

Albex 2.5% has only 4 day withdrawal period.

Only does adult fluke

This was one of the kill out sheets from this year. One lamb scored a 'p' and '1'..sure that's an error?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭roosky

MeTheMan wrote: »
    This was one of the kill out sheets from this year. One lamb scored a 'p' and '1'..sure that's an error?

he was some lamb to be a P1 and 23.2 kg dead !!!!......must be a mistake

I notice there's a H at the end of the row. What does that mean??

• Advertisement

MeTheMan wrote: »

What did you get paid for that specific lamb?

Advertisement