Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

That's good going. That happened here 1 year aswell but ended up alot off them repeated in the end up. Think I'm around 25% tipped in first 4 days on the batches a ewes and less than 10% on hoggets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭kk.man

Lambman wrote: »
    That's good going. That happened here 1 year aswell but ended up alot off them repeated in the end up. Think I'm around 25% tipped in first 4 days on the batches a ewes and less than 10% on hoggets

Yes was thinking of the same with repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Murang

Can somebody tell me what is the difference between traditional blue Leicester rams and crossing blue Leicester’s

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Anyone here ever dip and give there ewes a dose on the same day ? Any problems? Might have to do it next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Young95 wrote: »
    Anyone here ever dip and give there ewes a dose on the same day ? Any problems? Might have to do it next week!

Dose them before you dip, it's not good to be handling freshly dipped ewes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Every time, we dose them on the way to the dipping tank, has never been a problem !!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Murang wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me what is the difference between traditional blue Leicester rams and crossing blue Leicester’s

traditional blues are blue
    crossing type have brown r black spots or blotches theory is they breed darker faced mules when mated with blackfaced ewes.

fashion is for crossing types but be aware you might buy a real go traditional type for less than a middling crossing type

traditional types are in demand for mating with white faced sheep.

as with most pedigree breeds the whims of 'top breeders' drive selection in pursuit of traits that may have very little to do with production

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Anyone here strip fields with electric wire? What do they find works the best the the thin wire or the tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

390kid wrote: »
    Anyone here strip fields with electric wire? What do they find works the best the the thin wire or the tape?

Use 2 strands if polywire and a strand of tape in between, never any bother

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Country lad

I always just use 2 strands of wire for last few years and sheep never broke out

• Advertisement

Anyone here Ever graze beet tops before with sheep ?

Anyone here Ever graze beet tops before with sheep ?

It'd be a big ask this year to get them clean enough to slaughter, be some mess this year

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

Had 2 tips with a hole in their side. Taught it was a nic the got shearing and maybe flies were at them. Kept geno ointment on them but no sign of healing. 1 got fairly sore looking. Tips are on a small plot of ground rented away from the farm.

Talking to a local around there and he said he seen a crow sitting on the tips pecking at them. Flecking farming

joe35 wrote: »
    Had 2 tips with a hole in their side. Taught it was a nic the got shearing and maybe flies were at them. Kept geno ointment on them but no sign of healing. 1 got fairly sore looking. Tips are on a small plot of ground rented away from the farm.

Talking to a local around there and he said he seen a crow sitting on the tips pecking at them. Flecking farming

Yea, I've seen crows doing that, they make a right mess of them and can burrow in far. Stockholm tar stopped it here

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

joe35 wrote: »

Yea seen it before, crows or magpies, tied a bag doubled over a few times onto the fleece over the spot that’s affected. Iodine or engamycin spray could help kill any infection and speed up healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

Thanks for the tips ðŸ

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone dose for fluke yet?

Or has the Dept given it’s fluke warning for this time of year?

Few replacement ewe lambs looking a bit wet and off-form here now

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Anyone dose for fluke yet?

Or has the Dept given it’s fluke warning for this time of year?

Few replacement ewe lambs looking a bit wet and off-form here now

Yea dosed some of the hoggets that were on wetter land and hope to get the ewes all done next week. We’re starting to see faecal samples that are liver fluke positive this week and had reports from RVL in sligo of deaths caused by liver fluke.

Yea dosed some of the hoggets that were on wetter land and hope to get the ewes all done next week. We’re starting to see faecal samples that are liver fluke positive this week and had reports from RVL in sligo of deaths caused by liver fluke.

OK, sound job.

They're on wet ground at the moment here so I might do them tomorrow altogether and be done with it (for a while!)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

OK, sound job.

They're on wet ground at the moment here so I might do them tomorrow altogether and be done with it (for a while!)

Dosed last week here. Cause have been in Japan since and wasnt takin any chances!

• Advertisement

What colour raffle do u guys use after green? Blue then red i was thinking will that be easy enough seen? Or orange then red maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭kk.man

What colour raffle do u guys use after green? Blue then red i was thinking will that be easy enough seen? Or orange then red maybe?

I don't use raddles but the orange marker can look 'red' after a while with rain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Personally I think yellow is the best colour to start with,then green.

Yea should have started with yellow couldn't find the 3 yellows so used the 3 greens. Hoggets very slow in tupping here older ewes going ok.

Noticed a few lambs with orf this morning. Is it unusual for this of year? Would ye treat it as normal, with Alamycin, and let it work it’s way out of their system?

Noticed a few lambs with orf this morning. Is it unusual for this of year? Would ye treat it as normal, with Alamycin, and let it work it’s way out of their system?

It was getting an outbreak this time of year that convinced me to start using scabivax at birth, I don't know how your lambs will react but ours just stopped thriving for a month...... a very frustrating time of year for them to do that, probably wouldn't notice it so much in the middle of the summer.
    We used to get them in twice a week and spray alamycin spray on any that had the skin broke, not a lot else you can do, as you say it'll take its course.
    Some people leave out salt lick or even Himalayan salt licks in the hope that licking the salt will keep the wounds clean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Funnily enough I saw one of mine with a spot on their nose this morning as well...

I don’t plan on doing much - will keep me eye on them, but usually it doesn’t amount to much...
    I will keep minerals and dose into them,i think keeping them as healthy as can be is the best thing you can do...

As Wrangler says tho, it does nothing to help thrive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭DJ98

Have a ram running with ewes gone lame, sprayed his feet with alymicin spray this morning, anything else I can do to speed up his recovery or will this effect his breeding

Don’t think so had a really lame ram last year and thought that but he stayed on working! Just watch his body condition tho .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

DJ98 wrote: »
    Have a ram running with ewes gone lame, sprayed his feet with alymicin spray this morning, anything else I can do to speed up his recovery or will this effect his breeding

You need to check if he has a temp....there are injections which are safe to give him during tipping time.

Advertisement