Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Was just logging in to say it went OK.

Still not sure what exactly was being checked but the inspector was a gentleman and couldn’t have done much more to make sure everything was in order.

We usually hear horror stories about inspectors that are absolute b*stards, and no doubt they’re out there too, but we rarely hear about the good guys. And this fella today was one of the good guys.

Some insight and moral support from wrangler was a great help too.

Will get official confirmation on Monday I think but apart from having to buy a few tags, I think it’s all OK

I had my QA inspection on wednesday, I had my straw drew home but don't usually record it until I have it paid for, as it's a feed here I have to record it.
    When he found that, he was satisfied

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Was just logging in to say it went OK.

Still not sure what exactly was being checked but the inspector was a gentleman and couldn’t have done much more to make sure everything was in order.

We usually hear horror stories about inspectors that are absolute b*stards, and no doubt they’re out there too, but we rarely hear about the good guys. And this fella today was one of the good guys.

Some insight and moral support from wrangler was a great help too.

Will get official confirmation on Monday I think but apart from having to buy a few tags, I think it’s all OK
    did he count your sheep by any chance? And how about the buried ewes? I’m only curious because I’ve a few traces to try and cover myself if I ever get one !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Have some lambs coming out of flystrike protection, how long more would I want to be on high alert for ?

Have some lambs coming out of flystrike protection, how long more would I want to be on high alert for ?

I went to NZ last year on 10th October and had a ewe bad with maggots the day before, as a neighbour was looking after them while I was away I had no choice but to CLIK all,.....Had enough in the shed anyway

wrangler wrote: »
    I went to NZ last year on 10th October and had a ewe bad with maggots the day before, as a neighbour was looking after them while I was away I had no choice but to CLIK all,.....Had enough in the shed anyway

Sounds like I’ll be pulling out the clikzin early next week. Have to pull out a trailer or two load for the mart before that and one for a local butcher so hoping none get struck between now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

roosky wrote: »
    I went through the ewes on saturday....not one case of mastitis from scanning (Christmas) to now.....never had as good a year for mastitis.......hard to know is it breed or what thats causing the difference ....im running texel cross ewes so mostly white heads !

I never had a better year regards mastitis too. Had an awful last year around this time. Put the ewes in the shed for 2 days and only gave them a very small pick of hay. Put it down to that but who knows!

I never had a better year regards mastitis too. Had an awful last year around this time. Put the ewes in the shed for 2 days and only gave them a very small pick of hay. Put it down to that but who knows!

A neighbour did that for the same reason and 12 hrs after letting them out 6 were down with some sort of tetany, the vet said stress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

A neighbour did that for the same reason and 12 hrs after letting them out 6 were down with some sort of tetany, the vet said stress

Maybe grass was to leafy for them? A stronger paddock might have been better? Just assuming now, I wouldn’t doubt the vet. How do you manage ewes at weaning?

Have some Suffolk cross hoggets to sell. Got them sheared last weekend and even though their not a bad size sheep, they look abit small after shearing. How long would it take to have a nice coat grown back, to look good in the sales ring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Most lads selling hoggets shear end of April into May. Will be 2 months before any noticeable growth on them imo

• Advertisement

Have some Suffolk cross hoggets to sell. Got them sheared last weekend and even though their not a bad size sheep, they look abit small after shearing. How long would it take to have a nice coat grown back, to look good in the sales ring ?

I think I even said they'd look miserable after shearing, the year of my clearance sale everyone told me at the sale that they weren't long enough shorn and they were shore two months, as Razor said I should've shore them april may or four months

Maybe grass was to leafy for them? A stronger paddock might have been better? Just assuming now, I wouldn’t doubt the vet. How do you manage ewes at weaning?

I let the ewes and lambs graze out a paddock and then put the ewes back on to the paddock on their own , the ewes then follow the lambs and the lambs leave them very little for one or two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Done same as yourself Wrangler ewes stayed on the 2 previous paddocks for 5 weeks eating nothing but probably still gained condition with the lambs away.

I think I even said they'd look miserable after shearing, the year of my clearance sale everyone told me at the sale that they weren't long enough shorn and they were shore two months, as Razor said I should've shore them april may or four months

I’ll live and learn. First time carrying hoggets over for sale. They’ve very Suffolk looking heads on them, so hopefully someone will see value in them in the ring.

Watch them for chills in the heavy rain, they're probably over the risk now

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Young95

Would two mature rams be able for 90 ewes all in one group ?

Young95 wrote: »
    Would two mature rams be able for 90 ewes all in one group ?

No bother, that and more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is it gone to late to spread fertiliser on grazing ground or is it still ideal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

DJ98 wrote: »

Spread the first bit of fertilser this year only last week, and going to spread more this coming week. Try to build up a bank of grass to go into the winter as much as possible...

So IMO, it’s not too late - as long as you’ll be able to use the grass that grows...
    Others may disagree...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Spread the first bit of fertilser this year only last week, and going to spread more this coming week. Try to build up a bank of grass to go into the winter as much as possible...

So IMO, it’s not too late - as long as you’ll be able to use the grass that grows...
    Others may disagree...

Nah definitely spread, get some nice grass ofr flushing an dbreeding and the last of the lambs

• Advertisement

€20 on a bag of fert now, goes further then €20 of meal later in winter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

DJ98 wrote: »

Depends what state your ground is in - definatly gone too wet and too late on my place in North Mayo

I have a ram I'm injecting wi la300. Neighbour told me it could damage his sperm? I know there is something that does but don't think it's alamycin is it?

Lambman wrote: »
    I have a ram I'm injecting wi la300. Neighbour told me it could damage his sperm? I know there is something that does but don't think it's alamycin is it?

If he had a high temperature it damages the sperm........ some people then think it's the treatment that damages it,
    Was it a treatment for a sore foot or a high temperature

OH tells me that semen cells in a ram rapidly die off if body temperature is over 40 degrees centigrade

Just a sore hind leg Wrangler today was the 3rd day I done him so must be the 7th day spraying hmthe foot everyday seems till be improving. Not sure what it actually is it's above the hoof just a bit swollen and hair gone off it no broken skin or bad smell but he's holding it up all the time and has lost a good lotta kgs.

Just a sore hind leg Wrangler today was the 3rd day I done him so must be the 7th day spraying hmthe foot everyday seems till be improving. Not sure what it actually is it's above the hoof just a bit swollen and hair gone off it no broken skin or bad smell but he's holding it up all the time and has lost a good lotta kgs.
    Had the very same thing in a ram last year after mating. He fell apart and died in the end, same lump above the hoof. Was also injecting and spraying him.

Jesus dj98 don't be telling me that... But in fairness he's lost serious condition in a couple a weeks I'm feeding him ration again now aswell makes him handier caught as well as building him back up hopefully.

Jesus dj98 don't be telling me that... But in fairness he's lost serious condition in a couple a weeks I'm feeding him ration again now aswell makes him handier caught as well as building him back up hopefully.
    What types of ram is it Lambman? Mine was a texel

I wonder is it CODD
    Is the hoof breaking off
    A few pictures down at the end of this article

https://www.nadis.org.uk/disease-a-z/sheep/contagious-ovine-digital-dermatitis-codd/

• Advertisement

Top off the hoof looks like that picture there with bare skin showing but this boys hoofs are perfect so far anyways. Any advice what else till try him with? Don't wanna keep injecting him with la300 much longer.

Advertisement