Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

38kWh Ioniq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nice place, we had annual family subscriptions for a few years when the kids were younger :)

unkel wrote: »
    Nice place, we had annual family subscriptions for a few years when the kids were younger :)

I hadn't been there in about 30 years , don't remember anything except they had a Polar bear and I was fascinated, I remember him clearly swimming away, I was hoping there would be a polar bear there but sadly not. :(

Aren't our EVs supposed to have saved the polar bears? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Old Ioniq today, motorway (obviously!) at 120km/h actual speed, some rain, not best range conditions but neither is 120km/h :pac:. No heating or AC, eco mode.

L5CrxQc.jpg
    iJBvwic.jpg

Probably the second best EV, in efficiency terms, at motorway speeds............18.7 kWh/100km.

That's pretty brutal, must have been the rain. Was windy today too. That consumption implies a range of 150km, you'd get that in winter (but not in rain / wind)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No charge needed in the Niro. :D:D

Really though? At motorway speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

JPA wrote: »
    Really though? At motorway speed?

I haven't tested it at that distance at motorway speed yet, but I'd be pretty confident that it'll do it, based on the runs that I've done. I'm seeing 480 on the GOM at full charge. There's a fair bit of 120 and 100kph journeys in that mix.

64kWh usable, 422km trip

That's an average of a touch over 15kWh/100km

I wouldn't try that at 120km/h, unlikely to make it unless you have a bit of wind in the back. Aerodynamics of Niro / Kona not good enough. Ioniq could do it with that battery in summer

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

I have never seen more than 16.7 at 120kph

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I haven't tested it at that distance at motorway speed yet, but I'd be pretty confident that it'll do it, based on the runs that I've done. I'm seeing 480 on the GOM at full charge. There's a fair bit of 120 and 100kph journeys in that mix.

I'd seriously doubt it's possible at motorway speed without actively managing it. Try it out some day!

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    I'd seriously doubt it's possible at motorway speed without actively managing it. Try it out some day!

I'll be doing my usual UK run next month. That's 520kms east and then, a week later, 520kms west. Nearly all motorway or 70mph A road.

The Ioniq didn't suffer too badly on this run. I know the Niro is a different beast, but signs are good in my first 3000km of ownership.

I'll be doing my usual UK run next month. That's 520kms east and then, a week later, 520kms west. Nearly all motorway or 70mph A road.

The Ioniq didn't suffer too badly on this run. I know the Niro is a different beast, but signs are good in my first 3000km of ownership.

You have the PHEV or BEV Niro again ?

You have the PHEV or BEV Niro again ?

BEV, the 64kWh. I hope to only charge once each way on that run.

I don't do petrol. :D:D

I don't do petrol. :D:D

Petrol is great when chargers are in use ! :D

That should be no problem even in the most brutal conditions in winter. I take it you have destination charging over there?

I presume in Ioniq you could not get away with just 2 charges - to play safe you needed 3?

unkel wrote: »
    That should be no problem even in the most brutal conditions in winter. I take it you have destination charging over there?

I presume in Ioniq you could not get away with just 2 charges - to play safe you needed 3?

I don't like to arrive at my daughter's house running on empty. There is a socket to use with the granny charger, but I don't trust it enough to leave it running overnight, and we're normally out and about the next day.

The 3 charges in the Ioniq are due to CCS charger locations. There's a long gap between Cardiff Gate services and Membury services on the M4. The Membury services chargers are very unreliable, and there are very limited alternatives, so it's best to leave Cardiff with 94% to make it to either Chieveley services or, if that's also broken, Reading. Then I like to drop in to South Mimms services on the M25 to top up for the last 50kms to ensure some running around kms for the next day. On the way back, I've done it with 2 charges at Chieveley and Cardiff gate, and a final top-up at a nice little free charge spot near Carmarthen.

The above will all change with the Niro. I'm just not sure how much. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

whats the Ionnity situation like on your route?

ewj1978 wrote: »

Non-existent.

There are only 3 Ionity chargers in the whole of the UK, one in Scotland, none in Wales or NI and 2 in England, nowhere near his route

ewj1978 wrote: »

As Unkel says, none anywhere near my route.

I relied heavily on Electric Highway chargers, but they're terrible for reliability. You think Ecars are bad? EH show how bad a charging network could be. Ours is world class in comparison. That's why you won't hear me talking it down.

One unknown for me is that the EH network is old and doesn't seem to like bigger batteries. The charge success rate is low for Niro and Konas. Shell and Instavolt are good backup networks, with Polar finally trying to sort out their PAYG app coming up too.

Ecotricity, with their Electric highway chokehold on the motorway service areas, are very bad. see the doc at...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EZmC7yYSe1ZKxDB1y4fd5CPoKkDY3HBPHYP1Wnt22eU/edit#gid=0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭JohnC.

A short report on the official debut, with lots of exterior and interior pics.

https://insideevs.com/news/367904/mid-cycle-restyling-hyundai-ioniq-electric/amp/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

JohnC. wrote: »

https://insideevs.com/news/367904/mid-cycle-restyling-hyundai-ioniq-electric/amp/

In that report they say:
    "Another welcome change was done to the onboard charger, which is now capable of pushing 7.2 kW instead of the previous 6.6 kW. "

I thought the existing Ioniq already had 7kW charging.... no?

KCross wrote: »
    In that report they say:
    "Another welcome change was done to the onboard charger, which is now capable of pushing 7.2 kW instead of the previous 6.6 kW. "

I thought the existing Ioniq already had 7kW charging.... no?

It does.

That's a brutal article. Full of inaccuracies and irrelevant points. Who cares how long the car takes to slow charge to 80% :rolleyes: And doesn't even mention fast charging speeds compared between old and new model. Looks like that journo knows very little about EVs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

JohnC. wrote: »

311km WLTP, nice range

Hope it stays around the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

All articles I see online are an exact copy of the text in that one. Lots of copy and pasting going on.

Was talking to my dealer this week and I asked to trade in my 191 Ioniq for the 38 kW one in January.

He had no idea at all about when it would be out but said he'd know more after their dealer conference in October.

The alleged slower rapid charging would be a pity, but the extra range would make all the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Was passinh the local Hyundai dealer today and popped in to ask about the new one...

Was told no pricing yet but expect 4k or 5k more on top of the current Ioniq price. Not expecting to have any to deliver till the 201 plates

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Was passinh the local Hyundai dealer today and popped in to ask about the new one...

Was told no pricing yet but expect 4k or 5k more on top of the current Ioniq price. Not expecting to have any to deliver till the 201 plates
    "When it goes on sale in Europe, it will cost €34,900 ($39,500). At least in Germany, where the hybrid is already for sale for €25,800 and the plug-in hybrid costs €32,000."

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

4 or 5k more and it suddenly seems like bad value for money tbh. You're getting into Kona/e-Niro/e-Soul territory then but with much less range for the same price.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Mickeroo wrote: »
    4 or 5k more and it suddenly seems like bad value for money tbh. You're getting into Kona/e-Niro/e-Soul territory then but with much less range for the same price.

The Kone / e-Niro etc will also be 4 or 5k more than what they are now as well, all car prices are going up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Mickeroo wrote: »

The EV scene is a joke

Government should **** off with electric car bull**** for another 5 years, cause autogiants are taking the ****ing piss

€35,000 for a bloody Ioniq after €10,000 grant/vrt incentive and petrol hybrid is €25,000

Joke

Unkel got his one almost 3 years ago for €25,000

Advertisement