Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Looks like the stars are aligning for the trilogy fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I agree, I will watch his comeback fight.

It’s just annoying when someone criticises him and the first thing someone thinks is “well so what he is minted”. You don’t hear people saying that about e.g. McIlroy when discussing his poor performances.
    It would make no sense bring up earnings in response to criticism of a performance. But they weren't talking about a performance, you you point doesn't really make sense.

Bringing up his earnings in response to people talking the trajectory of his "sporting career" is very relevant. Conor very early on said the plan was to get in and get out, taking the least damage and setting up his family on route. He's done exactly that.

If McIlroy decided to take a break for whatever reason. Then "well he's loaded, doesn't need to play year round" would be perfectly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Mellor wrote: »
    It would make no sense bring up earnings in response to criticism of a performance. But they weren't talking about a performance, you you point doesn't really make sense.

Bringing up his earnings in response to people talking the trajectory of his "sporting career" is very relevant. Conor very early on said the plan was to get in and get out, taking the least damage and setting up his family on route. He's done exactly that.

If McIlroy decided to take a break for whatever reason. Then "well he's loaded, doesn't need to play year round" would be perfectly reasonable.

I believe he was responding to a poster who cited this quote.

"These sorts of falls from great heights"

Now, aside from the financial aspect, where else hasn't he fallen?
    A few years ago, after the Alvarez fight, he was at the top of the MMA game. He was spoken of as a potential all time great of the sport. Does anyone see him as that now? Nowhere close!
    He was seen by many as a role model. Does anyone see him as that now? Only the seriously deluded!

The fact of the matter is, that in the last couple of years, he's only lost fights, he's thrown a dolly through a bus window, injuring fellow fighters and dismantling a fight card, he's been arrested for criminal damage, he's been caught on CCTV punching an elderly man minding his own business in a pub. You can add to that rap sheet any of the other grimmer rumours you like.

I'm sorry, but if you don't consider that a fall from a great height and try and dismiss it by mentioning how he's got rich then you're just plain wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Not much new coming from the interview anyway. Have to laugh at how he says they never prepared properly and that basically the camps where wars and this is where all the injuries came from. What ever happened to kavanaghs famous term of upgrading the software without damaging the hardware?

Still Ill wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but if you don't consider that a fall from a great height and try and dismiss it by mentioning how he's got rich then you're just plain wrong.
    Where did I dismiss any of those things? You're making a strange strawman.

I was replying to HappyAsLarE's comment on his sporting career and why his financial success is intrinsically linked to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Hokey armchair psychology - but I genuinely wonder if Conor being the architect of his own downfall might ultimately be the only thing to motivate him getting back into the octagon.

There's a lot of mud being slung at the moment, and he's certainly done some reprehensible things. That being said, like most of the rest of us, I don't think he's an inherently bad guy, and he lives under a circumspect pressure most of us can't imagine.

These sorts of falls from great heights have been played out from time immemorial. Even considering his wrong-doings and him hitting pay-dirt and so on, I think it's fair to say both fans and the sport of MMA have done pretty well out of him. If he doesn't choose to fight again, it'd be at least nice to see him pay more heed to good counsel and get on with doing something that keeps him out of trouble.
    JJayoo wrote: »
    "These sorts of falls from great heights"

He's still the biggest name/draw in the UFC, and he's still making more money than anyone else in the UFC from his whiskey/sponsorships. There has been no fall.
    This crap again. We don’t care about his financial success. His sporting career has gone to shoite.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Where did I dismiss any of those things? You're making a strange strawman.

I was replying to HappyAsLarE's comment on his sporting career and why his financial success is intrinsically linked to it.

They're not intrinsically linked. There's the financial side of things and there's the sporting side of things. Sure, he's still the biggest draw in the sport and he'll continue to make huge money should he ever fight again, but he's not considered anywhere near where he was from a sporting perspective. Take a look at the P4P rankings and it's pretty evident.
    You don't hear people saying 'yeah, but what about the money Alexis Sanchez is making?' or mentioning how he's the highest paid player in the best league in the world when talking about him. Why should it be any different for McGregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Not to pander to any sort of tabloid hyperbole, but he doesn't look too well in this interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

So Conor called Ariel and told him to put a suit on. 100% a PR stunt because he realized this was the biggest backlash to his brand thus far.

Anyway roll on the comeback!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

robwen wrote: »
    "I need to just stop reacting to the bait," McGregor said. "People are trying to bait me into things. Am I the fish or am I the whale? I must be calm, I must be zen. I must lead by example. There's so many people looking up to me. How can I react in this way? I need to get a hold of this and, like I said, I'm working very hard to do this."
    https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/27441486

This shows the kind of person McGregor is. What did the guy in the pub do other than refuse his whiskey? Is that baiting him? He is only sorry that the video came out and brand McGregor has been damaged. He says somewhere else that he tried making amends. Act the scumbag and then through someone a few bob not to press charges a la the miami incident. They are the actions of a bully and a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Anyone got a link to the full unedited interview?

• Advertisement

As I said, nowhere did I dismiss any of those things in my post. I think you've maybe misread what I was saying. I was replying to Larry specifically, not previous posters.
    They're not intrinsically linked. There's the financial side of things and there's the sporting side of things.
    Fighters get paid to fight. They are putting their bodies on the line, risking serious injuries for financial gain. There are other factors too of course, but arguing that the two aren't linked is silly.
    I'm not saying high earnings is the measure of a fighters legacy. I'm simply pointing out that earnings (or lack of earnings) affect how much you need to fight. The risks for a fighter are much bigger than a footballer.

A fighter trying to get signed, or climb the ranks will fight as often as they can getting extremely underpaid while doing so. The higher you climb, the more you need to be paid for it to to be worth it putting your brain on the line.

Stuff about fighting ability, P4P, lineal champ status, interim champ status, UFC record, etc. It forms the basis of a lot of discussion here, as it should. But it's of little benefit to the guy slurring his words at 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

Not to pander to any sort of tabloid hyperbole, but he doesn't look too well in this interview.

He looks very pale....Hasn't been in America for his Peter Pan top up....
    bmcc10 wrote: »
    Not much new coming from the interview anyway. Have to laugh at how he says they never prepared properly and that basically the camps where wars and this is where all the injuries came from. What ever happened to kavanaghs famous term of upgrading the software without damaging the hardware?

I's say Kavanagh is delighted with that.
    EoineyM wrote: »
    This shows the kind of person McGregor is. What did the guy in the pub do other than refuse his whiskey? Is that baiting him? He is only sorry that the video came out and brand McGregor has been damaged. He says somewhere else that he tried making amends. Act the scumbag and then through someone a few bob not to press charges a la the miami incident. They are the actions of a bully and a scumbag.

I listened to the 7 minute video that centred around the assault videos. He keeps making the comment "trying to make ammends", is that him saying "I've tried to give them money"? also when he's referring to this as if it's in the past because it's 5 months ago, and he's a different person now. What does that actually mean, 5 months ago is hardly a lifetime ago.

He actually struggles to speak and use grammar, he throws in words that sound great but in the context he's using them they make zero sence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

Think most people will see this for what it is , a pile of crap

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

He literally says in the interview "I need to rekindle my relationship with my coach". He's a million miles from a return based on all this. Doesn't look or sound great tbh, I really hope he sorts himself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I don't know if it was anyone else.. I'd say yeah he's genuine but can't help thinking it's all about trying to save his whiskey brand. He is a likeable fella sometimes tbf. I hope to see him fight again but not for title soon as he wins it. Its time to take ball and go home for him. I think he was hoping nate would mention him post fight to get his name back out there.
    BTW he says he's not been grappling but his ear look more cauliflower than ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He was seen by many as a role model. Does anyone see him as that now? Only the seriously deluded!

I always dislike this. People should not have professional fighters as role models.
    Sure, some are good people, but their job is still to punch/kick people in the face for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Looks a shell of a man
    It would be better for him to walk away now
    The huge comeback and a defeat would be the end for him as a person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Looks a shell of a man
    It would be better for him to walk away now
    The huge comeback and a defeat would be the end for him as a person

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ku_kE5N2U&t=10m9s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

People saying he doesn't look or sound well, you realise the whole point of this interview is that its a publicity stunt to make it seem like hes distressed and upset about what happened so that people feel sorry for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

It's all bollix tbh. He doesn't give three ****es as far as I'm concerned. The saddest part is, I don't even think he is trying to save his legacy and his fighting career. He's trying to save his brand. Throwing it all down the toilet for $$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Personally don't care about the pub stuff. Want to see him back. Interesting he mentioned edgar. Good comeback fight for him and maybe he would treat him with the due respect he deserves in the build up and put the nonsense to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I find it hilarious how people constantly use his immense wealth to bat down any suggestions that he's become irrelevant.

Is it so wrong to base a sportspersons achievements based on their sporting prowess, rather than how much money he's made? A random example I can think of - does anyone look at Alexis Sanchez as any less of a flop, because he's the highest paid player in the league?

McGregor could have been one of the great combat sports icons, but got blindsided by the money, and all the trappings that go along with it.

It's a shame that Mayweather fight went ahead. Who knows what McGregor could have achieved in the sport had he not made that much money off a freakshow moneygrab.

Above all, the MMA fan, and ultimately Conor McGregor fan in me would love to see him get back into the mindset he had in 2014/2015. But I'll believe it when I see it. I've been fooled before - I paid alot of money to go to UFC 229, and felt like an idiot afterwards that I thought he had straightened himself out.

dulux99 wrote: »
    I find it hilarious how people constantly use his immense wealth to bat down any suggestions that he's become irrelevant.

Is it so wrong to base a sportspersons achievements based on their sporting prowess, rather than how much money he's made? A random example I can think of - does anyone look at Alexis Sanchez as any less of a flop, because he's the highest paid player in the league?

McGregor could have been one of the great combat sports icons, but got blindsided by the money, and all the trappings that go along with it.

It's a shame that Mayweather fight went ahead. Who knows what McGregor could have achieved in the sport had he not made that much money off a freakshow moneygrab.

Above all, the MMA fan, and ultimately Conor McGregor fan in me would love to see him get back into the mindset he had in 2014/2015. But I'll believe it when I see it. I've been fooled before - I paid alot of money to go to UFC 229, and felt like an idiot afterwards that I thought he had straightened himself out.

100% agree

Maybe a Khabib rematch would get a lot of interest but thats it. His stock has fallen i just dont see there being much interest in a Edgar/Aldo/gaethje

Cant help but feel he's yesterdays man

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

100% agree

Maybe a Khabib rematch would get a lot of interest but thats it. His stock has fallen i just dont see there being much interest in a Edgar/Aldo/gaethje

Come back in a few months if he KOs Gaethje or someone. People love a comeback.

100% agree

No matter what I reckon there'll be huge interest if/when he comes back. There won't be much fanfare from the general public in Ireland, granted, that ship has sailed, but in terms of worldwide attention he's still one of the most recognisable names in all of sports. What must sting is the smaller, more knowledgeable MMA world, who no longer see him as massively relevant.

dulux99 wrote: »
    No matter what I reckon there'll be huge interest if/when he comes back. There won't be much fanfare from the general public in Ireland, granted, that ship has sailed, but in terms of worldwide attention he's still one of the most recognisable names in all of sports. What must sting is the smaller, more knowledgeable MMA world, who no longer see him as massively relevant.

Will be huge in Ireland too. He did an interview last night and its global news and huge news here. Front page on RTE, in the main "news" part of the radio shows etc

The Nal wrote: »
    Will be huge in Ireland too. He did an interview last night and its global news and huge news here. Front page on RTE, in the main "news" part of the radio shows etc

Depends how you define huge - nowhere near what his stock was from a few years ago anyway.

The Nal wrote: »

True, by fanfare I meant good will and positivity...maybe I used the wrong word. A McGregor fight was a mad experience in Ireland - house parties in every estate across the whole island, people staying up til 5.30am, people who'd never ever watch an MMA fight were roped in. Great times ... :(

• Advertisement

Depends how you define huge - nowhere near what his stock was from a few years ago anyway.

Hmmm dunno. Hes on the front page of CNN and the BBC today.

Advertisement