Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

100% agree

Maybe a Khabib rematch would get a lot of interest but thats it. His stock has fallen i just dont see there being much interest in a Edgar/Aldo/gaethje

Cant help but feel he's yesterdays man

Not sure if Khabib will grant him a rematch. He will demand huge money if he does, and he isn’t even motivated by money to the same level that Conor is. He will have to be paid more than Conor despite the ppv numbers. It’s such a big punishment he will forever be able to have over Conor that he beat him the way he did, after everything that happened before and after, not worth the risk of losing that. Conor just crossed too many lines with him especially the twitter jibes few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

dulux99 wrote: »
    I find it hilarious how people constantly use his immense wealth to bat down any suggestions that he's become irrelevant.

Is it so wrong to base a sportspersons achievements based on their sporting prowess, rather than how much money he's made? A random example I can think of - does anyone look at Alexis Sanchez as any less of a flop, because he's the highest paid player in the league?

McGregor could have been one of the great combat sports icons, but got blindsided by the money, and all the trappings that go along with it.

It's a shame that Mayweather fight went ahead. Who knows what McGregor could have achieved in the sport had he not made that much money off a freakshow moneygrab.

Above all, the MMA fan, and ultimately Conor McGregor fan in me would love to see him get back into the mindset he had in 2014/2015. But I'll believe it when I see it. I've been fooled before - I paid alot of money to go to UFC 229, and felt like an idiot afterwards that I thought he had straightened himself out.
    He partakes in a sport you can literally get killed in. Why would any person with any level of intelligence continue to put 100 percent of your health towards it when you've made more money than you will ever need, especially when tbf to McGregor, he has been honest in stating money is I'd only motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

kippy wrote: »
    He partakes in a sport you can literally get killed in. Why would any person with any level of intelligence continue to put 100 percent of your health towards it when you've made more money than you will ever need, especially when tbf to McGregor, he has been honest in stating money is I'd only motivation.

Eh I dunno mate, I'm not an MMA fighter myself. Cant answer that one for you I'm afraid.

McGregor is the one saying he wants to come back for his legacy. I'm not putting words in his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You can be killed in most sports, tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Tazzimus wrote: »
    You can be killed in most sports, tbf.

Yeah
    I almost got taken out by a shuttlecock the other day. May not play badminton again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The Nal wrote: »
    Hmmm dunno. Hes on the front page of CNN and the BBC today.

And .... Any extremely famous person who assaults a man for no reason in a pub is going to make front page news
    Tabloids love someone going off the rails pressing the self destruct button

Are you trying to say he is still as relevant now as he was a couple of years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah
    I almost got taken out by a shuttlecock the other day. May not play badminton again.
    Just as well I said most and not all, then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

And .... Any extremely famous person who assaults a man for no reason in a pub is going to make front page news

Are you trying to say he is still as relevant now as he was a couple of years ago?

No of course not but one decent fight and he'll be bigger than ever.

People were saying the same thing before the Khabib fight and it was the biggest PPV in the history of the sport by a mile, beating his own 3 previous records.

I'd love to see him back. Very exciting fighter. Great to watch.
    Yeah

Dont blame you. Lethal sport.

https://www.worldofbuzz.com/man-shockingly-collapses-dies-playing-badminton/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

The Nal wrote: »
    No of course not but one decent fight and he'll be bigger than ever.

People were saying the same thing before the Khabib fight and it was the biggest PPV in the history of the sport by a mile, beating his own 3 previous records.

I'd love to see him back. Very exciting fighter. Great to watch.

Yeah that could happen i agree. At the present time he seems very far away from that though .

Yeah that could happen i agree. At the present time he seems very far away from that though .

Certainly does yeah. I just can't see him having the extra few percent or the hunger to beat Khabib or the top guys.

Would love to be proved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Did you watch interview he said the fans are his only motivation (at the moment while he groves)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

He's a global celebrity and still MMA's most recognizable and bankable star.

Suggesting he's yesterdays news and there wouldn't be much interest in his return is honestly just plain silly....and very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

After watching the interview I say his hunger to get back into fighting is real. It was an honest and open interview.

How credible is it that he had a foot injury before the Kabib fight? any evidence?

After watching the interview I say his hunger to get back into fighting is real. It was an honest and open interview.

How credible is it that he had a foot injury before the Kabib fight? any evidence?

Yeah he wobbled badly at one point in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

This rumour was quite prevalent on boards and Reddit in the lead up to the fight, so I do believe him tbh. No smoke without fire and all that

dave1982 wrote: »
    Did you watch interview he said the fans are his only motivation (at the moment while he groves)

McGregor has become very good at keeping his name in the public domain saying plenty stuff about fans, wanting a legacy etc etc. He knows that its easier and safer at this stage to make money from his fame rather than his ability. He has nothing to prove really.
    Anyone however that believes anything that comes out of his mouth needs a reality check.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Eh I dunno mate, I'm not an MMA fighter myself. Cant answer that one for you I'm afraid.

McGregor is the one saying he wants to come back for his legacy. I'm not putting words in his mouth.
    Legacy. Come on. He has his legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

This punch on the man in the Bar is the last straw for a lot of people, not me though I've hated him from the first moment I've heard him talk.
    But if he'd had released an apology for the punch in the bar before it was made public I think people would be more forgiving.
    It's like he's only apologising because he literally saw his stock falling like a stone. I know his actions in the future will be a true telling of his come back in and out of the octogan and I think a fully prepared Mc Gregor could run khabib closer then the last bout.
    He says he'll fight to the grave which could be true and soon if he keeps acting the goul around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Anyone believe he was gonna fight in July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

dave1982 wrote: »
    Anyone believe he was gonna fight in July

Not a ****ing word of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

The most sickening thing about McGregors fall from grace was the fact he only started acting like a serious scumbag AFTER his kid was born. For someone who kept claiming to want to set his children's children up for life and make them proud of the McGregor name he seemed to forget that the moment he actually had a kid to look after.

Havent heard such sanctimonious crap since tiger woods got found out for being a horn dog. He clipped a lad in a pub on the tail end of a bender...happens a thousand times every weekend in ireland. Broke some twats phone at 5 in the morning in florida. Who cares. Get the fella back in the octagon and prove all these tools wronf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Havent heard such sanctimonious crap since tiger woods got found out for being a horn dog. He clipped a lad in a pub on the tail end of a bender...happens a thousand times every weekend in ireland. Broke some twats phone at 5 in the morning in florida. Who cares. Get the fella back in the octagon and prove all these tools wronf

Ah yeah, sure it's ok to go around punching pensioners if you're off your face in the middle of a 3 day coke binge.

:rolleyes:

Ah yeah, sure it's ok to go around punching pensioners if you're off your face in the middle of a 3 day coke binge.

Is it really that big a deal? Everyone has just turned into an angel. Butter wouldn't melt in your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Scummy as it was the man was 50...not a pensioner

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Scummy as it was the man was 50...not a pensioner

Yeah, but balance that out with McGregor sucker punching him from behind. Pussy move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, but balance that out with McGregor sucker punching him from behind. Pussy move.

Balance that out with the fact the man started it by slamming the shot glass aggressively and shooing him away. One of the most famous athletes in the world shows up to a local pub and gives out free whiskey, no need for an attitude even if you don't like him, he was definitely a hater before conor entered the pub. And nobody knows what the man said before the punch, he definitely said something as conors bodyguard quickly turned around just before it. He also said in an interview he doesn't want money or an apology, he wants justice. Then in a more recent interview wondered why conor didn't apologize directly to him in that interview with ariel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The same old ****e as usual, im different person , saying he took the bait when its quote clear the aul fella wasnt trying to entrape him at all ,
    One thing i will say he 100% broke his foot before Khabin id heard it 3 days before the fight from someone in his camp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Comparing McGregor to Tiger Woods is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

In the interview he seems sad that the news broke the day after the sons christening.

It looks like that was the only thing that really bothered him about the whole situation.

Advertisement