Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭xtal191

No chance he fights Aldo next, it'll either be Diaz or Khabib or nothing imo

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Literally anybody else top 10 LW is preferable to Nate/Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Inviere wrote: »
    Aldo would just need to survive the first two rounds, and by then, Conor's game drops off significantly.

So does Aldo's though. Letting Conor punch himself out is a good plan for someone like Nate or Tony, but it's not one of Aldo's strengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

UFC 241 free fight.

Watch Conor get hurt at 2 minutes and 22 seconds left in the second round and spend the next 1 minute and 9 seconds treading water before eventually quitting at 1 minute and 13 seconds left, and finally stoping to pretend to reisit at 57 seconds left.

Nate Diaz, all 298lbs, 8'9" of him, fresh off a boat in mexico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Nate Diaz, all 298lbs, 8'9" of him
    This is true.

69dac34ce24f6e6084f34d510f7aac96.jpg

Slh3nRY.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Nice re-watch of that there... Conor really was in full Tony Montana supreme confidence mode here. If this fight was an Oasis album, it's 'Be Here Now".

Fecked the kitchen sink at Nate almost before he got into the Octagon. Some lovely shots landed all the same, even if some of it was wild.

The size differential is a meme at this point obviously, but Nate easily looks 10 pounds bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Lol just seen post on twitter from girl who works in souvenir shop. Apparently some she heard a kid saying look dad they selling conor mcgregor flags here (Irish flag)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Unless he’s keeping quiet about it, Conor doesn’t seem to be doing much if any proper training these days. He seemed to be doing a lot when he was in US during first few month this year, and was continuing this when he came back to Dublin but then injured the wrist.
    All his tweets these days are about his clothing brand.
    I know he’ll goninto camp if there is a fight on the horizon, but he used to be always training, so looks like he has completely lost that desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

When was the last time he left the country?

Is he having issues with his passport I wonder?

Seems to have been in Dublin without leaving for a while now...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,930 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Unless he’s keeping quiet about it, Conor doesn’t seem to be doing much if any proper training these days. He seemed to be doing a lot when he was in US during first few month this year, and was continuing this when he came back to Dublin but then injured the wrist.
    All his tweets these days are about his clothing brand.
    I know he’ll goninto camp if there is a fight on the horizon, but he used to be always training, so looks like he has completely lost that desire.

So are we following a clothes horse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

He was down at the first class in JK's new gym tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I passed the Naas road gym at 9 this morning and it was closed, are they finished there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It's closed since last Sunday, down in the new gym a few days now for one of the SBG camps, opens to the public Monday.

That would be just a ceremonial thing. He’s not training regular and the relationship between him and JK doesn’t seem good. Also Roddy has gone. There seems to e a lot of issues. I’m not confident we’ll ever see Conor compete at the highest level again. Such a shame as I don’t think Ireland will ever produce a fighter of his caliber again in our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Where has Roddy gone, wasnt he in SBG Charlestown.

Shame the way this is all ending up. They were all onto a good thing until that Khabib loss, now its all gone a bit Pete Tong

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Where has Roddy gone, wasnt he in SBG Charlestown.
    Roddy isn’t gone anywhere. SBG Charlestown is his gym.
    That’s the issue with people see one or two Instagram stories and filling in the blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,623 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Doesn't look like he was rolling but i won't take 1 pic as gospel, he could have finished his training, got dressed and jumped in for a photo then....

https://twitter.com/goss_ie/status/1159962924468908033?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mellor wrote: »
    Roddy isn’t gone anywhere. SBG Charlestown is his gym.
    That’s the issue with people see one or two Instagram stories and filling in the blanks.

Since Charlestown opened Roddy was only ever taking 1 class a week in Concorde, he stopped that last year, travelling over the city for one class was pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,007 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That would be just a ceremonial thing. He’s not training regular and the relationship between him and JK doesn’t seem good. Also Roddy has gone. There seems to e a lot of issues. I’m not confident we’ll ever see Conor compete at the highest level again. Such a shame as I don’t think Ireland will ever produce a fighter of his caliber again in our lifetimes.

Roddy opened SBG Charlestown and is doing well producing his own pro fighters. He's too good and ambitious to be working for JK. He is still Conor's striking coach though, I haven't heard any different there.

I reckon Holloway has fought more times in past 2 years than Conor has even trained. Money aside, how did it all go so wrong for him?? He was so witty and likeable, and had more charisma than any Irish sports star in history. But now it’s like he lives inside layers of security and posts vile and utter nonsense on social media. He can still turn it all around but only by fighting, even if he loses against top fighters he will still be applauded for what he brings. Who gives a crap about his whiskey and suits??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I suppose the landscape was very different when he won the LW Champ against Alvarez.

That was in Nov 2016.

Max won the interim FW Champ against Pettis in Dec 2016 and Khabib beat Michael Johnson on the same card as the one McGregor beat Alvarez on.

Ferguson beat RDA in Nov 2016 and wouldn't be the interim LW Champ until Oct 2017.

I suppose it's not surprising McGregor went off looking for other things.

I reckon Holloway has fought more times in past 2 years than Conor has even trained. Money aside, how did it all go so wrong for him?? He was so witty and likeable, and had more charisma than any Irish sports star in history. But now it’s like he lives inside layers of security and posts vile and utter nonsense on social media. He can still turn it all around but only by fighting, even if he loses against top fighters he will still be applauded for what he brings. Who gives a crap about his whiskey and suits??

How did it go wrong for him? He's made more money than anyone who has ever competed in mma and he's only 31.

rob316 wrote: »
    How did it go wrong for him? He's made more money than anyone who has ever competed in mma and he's only 31.

I'd call that a win, myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Who cares about how much money he’s made?!

His sporting career went to sh1t. If It happened to Federer, Ronaldo etc. we wouldn’t look to their financial situation.

His sporting career went to sh1t. If It happened to Federer, Ronaldo etc. we wouldn’t look to their financial situation.

He obviously does though and that was really the reason he got into it in the first place.

This is dangerous, it's prize fighting pointless comparing it to tennis and football. You can be damn sure if others in the UFC made what he has they would be sitting pretty too.

Even his own ego can tell him if your not in this fully guys like khabib, Ferguson are a danger to your health.

I mean like if he cared about his sporting career he would of defended his belts and wouldn't have chased a boxing match he had no hope of winning with Mayweather.

He does obviously.
    He said himself he wanted to get in, make a **** load of money and get out.
    He was never in this for his legacy.

Plenty of other fighters to take an interest in if that's what you're after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I know it’s a dangerous sport, and I know he never shuts up about making millions (no humility).

It still causes me to roll my eyes when I hear punters talk about how much money he’s made. The thing that intrigued me about McGregor was his obsession with the art of fighting. He lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I know it’s a dangerous sport, and I know he never shuts up about making millions (no humility).

It still causes me to roll my eyes when I hear punters talk about how much money he’s made. The thing that intrigued me about McGregor was his obsession with the art of fighting. He lost it.

Has he really made all the money that he claims? I'm not so sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

KaneToad wrote: »
    Has he really made all the money that he claims? I'm not so sure...

Well definitely tens of millions. Doubt he made 100 million vs mayweather, probably 50 or under, rest went to UFC. He likely made around 10 million in each of his last 4 UFC fights. Doubt hes exceeded 100 million even though he seems to be referring to himself as a billionaire recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He's undoubtedly made an absolute fortune. He's managed to consistently negotiate better deals for himself almost every fight. Not sure if he was advised to do so or whether that was his own business acumen, but hugely impressive either way. Don't think any other UFC fighter has come anywhere near a close to him in realising their actual value. Most would have been happy with their first big contract and continued on those terms.
    His idea to fight Mayweather was pure genius and the fact that he managed to pull that off is insane.

His whiskey seems to be a huge success too, albeit maybe not quite as much as he makes out. Can't imagine any of his other business dealings made a whole lot of money, be it the suits or his Fast programme.

All in all, he's sorted for life, whether or not he ever fights again. Fair play to.him. Just a shame he turned in to such an utterly dispicable individual along the way.

Advertisement