Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Is he retired now, or was he ever?

I think so. His famed left just doesn’t have the power any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Ah no, my brilliant Fr. Ted joke has gone in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Conors left will never hurt me - Old man 2019

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ZZNdxocSU/

3 years to the day myself and this Mexican warrior went to war.
    Congrats on the win this weekend Nate, it was motivating to see it for my own comeback. I don’t blame you not mentioning me for the trilogy bout post fight, you know what I’m like when I get going. Vicious.
    I loved the round 3 style from round 1 that you implemented. It’s what I was hoping you would implement for this bout and was glad to see you do it.
    I’ll be prepared for it when we go again. If we go again.
    If not, respect always. A war for the ages. No bitch talk. Just real sh*t.

Not all black or white, good or bad. I liked it at least.
    *Does not indicate I condone beating up of random pensioners in pubs. Or random anyone anywhere really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Seems a little disappointed Nate didn't give him a shout out!
    Did Nate reply to the message?

Apart from his skills in the Octagon, if you were searching for a positive thing to say about McGregor, I think his analysis of other fights is usually very interesting. He'd make a decent studio analyst or even co-comm in the future (though not sure how the yanks cope with his accent!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Cali_girl wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ZZNdxocSU/

3 years to the day myself and this Mexican warrior went to war.
    Congrats on the win this weekend Nate, it was motivating to see it for my own comeback. I don’t blame you not mentioning me for the trilogy bout post fight, you know what I’m like when I get going. Vicious.
    I loved the round 3 style from round 1 that you implemented. It’s what I was hoping you would implement for this bout and was glad to see you do it.
    I’ll be prepared for it when we go again. If we go again.
    If not, respect always. A war for the ages. No bitch talk. Just real sh*t.

Not all black or white, good or bad. I liked it at least.
    *Does not indicate I condone beating up of random pensioners in pubs. Or random anyone anywhere really.

Nate not calling him out has clearly got to him. He really needed that callout to put the focus back on his (in cage) fighting ability and his return to the octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Doff wrote: »
    Nate not calling him out has clearly got to him. He really needed that callout to put the focus back on his (in cage) fighting ability and his return to the octagon.

I don’t think so. It was more a case of it being the 3 year anniversary coinciding with Nate’s victorious return, a fighter than Conor and his whole team have huge time and respect for. He also got a dig in at Khabib with the “real sh1t” line. He even seems to acknowledge his mistakes when he talks about his comeback. But he seems to accept that Nate 3 may not happen. I always think that years from now when they are both retired, the 2 of them will be long distance buddies and will cross paths in a good way on occasions.
    I think with Conor he is just such an extreme individual, he can do extreme good and extreme bad.
    I hope he comes back soon and gets back in favor with the fans, and the law!! It’s a shame to see his popularity diminish because of his own lifestyle choices.
    I don’t think we will ever see the likes of 2015/16 again where 1 fighter brought us all along on that crazy and manic roller coaster ride, and he was Irish to make it even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Long distance buddies are you serious? Conor still thinks he is better than Nate, that isn't a great basis for friendship ??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,575 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don’t think so. It was more a case of it being the 3 year anniversary coinciding with Nate’s victorious return, a fighter than Conor and his whole team have huge time and respect for. He also got a dig in at Khabib with the “real sh1t” line. He even seems to acknowledge his mistakes when he talks about his comeback. But he seems to accept that Nate 3 may not happen. I always think that years from now when they are both retired, the 2 of them will be long distance buddies and will cross paths in a good way on occasions.
    I think with Conor he is just such an extreme individual, he can do extreme good and extreme bad.
    I hope he comes back soon and gets back in favor with the fans, and the law!! It’s a shame to see his popularity diminish because of his own lifestyle choices.
    I don’t think we will ever see the likes of 2015/16 again where 1 fighter brought us all along on that crazy and manic roller coaster ride, and he was Irish to make it even better.

I don't think you've watched enough of the Diaz brothers ,

Once a rival always a rival that how they are, them two don't make friends or don't let go of grudges, Its not a sport to them its fight,

Sure look at Nick he still hates GSP years later,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I don't think you've watched enough of the Diaz brothers ,

Once a rival always a rival that how they are, them two don't make friends or don't let go of grudges, Its not a sport to them its fight,

Yup.

Would love to see Nick back. Theres a lot of money there for him to pick up vs the new gen of welterweights. Till, Masvidal, Woodley etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,575 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Nal wrote: »
    Yup.

Would love to see Nick back. Theres a lot of money there for him to pick up vs the new gen of welterweights. Till, Masvidal, Woodley etc.

Unfortunately for Nick most the new breed are top heavy wrestlers Usman, Coby , Woodley , Askren it wouldn't end well for him ,

I only give him a shot of wining against Masvidal as it would be a scrap, Till be to big for him ,

Same reason Nate picks and choose his fights now as he isn't getting anywhere near the top of the Welter weight division , styles make fights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

I always think that years from now when they are both retired, the 2 of them will be long distance buddies and will cross paths in a good way on occasions.

There is no way this will happen, this is a Diaz brother we are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Unfortunately for Nick most the new breed are top heavy wrestlers Usman, Coby , Woodley , Askren it wouldn't end well for him ,

I only give him a shot of wining against Masvidal as it would be a scrap, Till be to big for him ,

Same reason Nate picks and choose his fights now as he isn't getting anywhere near the top of the Welter weight division , styles make fights

Indeed. Could Nick make LW these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I thought Nate looked good,I liked the kicks he seems to have added, and he looked strong and quick in the scramble on the ground.

Pettis did break his foot in the first round so it's hard to really judge Nate of this fight.

One think I did notice about Nate is that he was actually checking kicks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

You heard it from Nate - he was absent because there was no real gangstas willing to fight - McGregor included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He also said Nick was the best in the world.
    I wouldn't take everything he says as gospel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Conor's passport issues are probably playing a part in his inactivity

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Conor's passport issues are probably playing a part in his inactivity

What passport issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Axwell wrote: »
    What passport issues?

He speculates that Conor can't leave the state due to events we can't talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Mellor wrote: »
    He speculates that Conor can't leave the state due to events we can't talk about.

So what youre trying to say is Croke Park may happen yet???

:P:P:P:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Hokey armchair psychology - but I genuinely wonder if Conor being the architect of his own downfall might ultimately be the only thing to motivate him getting back into the octagon.

There's a lot of mud being slung at the moment, and he's certainly done some reprehensible things. That being said, like most of the rest of us, I don't think he's an inherently bad guy, and he lives under a circumspect pressure most of us can't imagine.

These sorts of falls from great heights have been played out from time immemorial. Even considering his wrong-doings and him hitting pay-dirt and so on, I think it's fair to say both fans and the sport of MMA have done pretty well out of him. If he doesn't choose to fight again, it'd be at least nice to see him pay more heed to good counsel and get on with doing something that keeps him out of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

"These sorts of falls from great heights"

He's still the biggest name/draw in the UFC, and he's still making more money than anyone else in the UFC from his whiskey/sponsorships. There has been no fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

He's fallen in every regard other than a financial one tbf.

JJayoo wrote: »
    "These sorts of falls from great heights"

He's still the biggest name/draw in the UFC, and he's still making more money than anyone else in the UFC from his whiskey/sponsorships. There has been no fall.

This crap again. We don’t care about his financial success. His sporting career has gone to shoite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Helwani after doing 45 min interview with conor.. Will be released soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

This crap again. We don’t care about his financial success. His sporting career has gone to shoite.
    And yet people will still watch whenever he comes back, if he does.
    He's still a massive draw, either for people to watch him come back, or to watch him lose.
    This thing from April probably hurt his whiskey sales more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭robwen

Tazzimus wrote: »
    And yet people will still watch whenever he comes back, if he does.
    He's still a massive draw, either for people to watch him come back, or to watch him lose.
    This thing from April probably hurt his whiskey sales more than anything else.

I agree, I will watch his comeback fight.

It’s just annoying when someone criticises him and the first thing someone thinks is “well so what he is minted”. You don’t hear people saying that about e.g. McIlroy when discussing his poor performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭robwen

In the interview, McGregor expressed regret for his actions in April, when he struck the man in an ugly incident. The former two-division UFC champion came clean and took full responsibility for his "unacceptable behavior" in that incident.

"I was in the wrong," McGregor said. "That man deserved to enjoy his time in the pub without having it end the way it did. ... I tried to make amends and I made amends back then. But it doesn't matter. I was in the wrong. I must come here before you and take accountability and take responsibility. I owe it to the people that have been supporting me. I owe it to my mother, my father, my family. I owe it to the people who trained me in martial arts. That's not who I am. That's not the reason why I got into martial arts or studying combat sports. The reason I got into it was to defend against that type of scenario."

The Gardai, Ireland's national police, are investigating the incident at The Marble Arch Bar on April 6, a spokesperson confirmed with ESPN last week. The Gardai does not comment on named individuals. McGregor said he would accept any consequences.

"Whatever comes my way, I will face it," McGregor said. "Whatever comes my way, I deserve it. I will face this head on. I will not hide from it. I was in the wrong. It was completely unacceptable behavior for a man in my position."

The pub punch was McGregor's second run-in with the law in as many months. McGregor was arrested and charged with smashing a man's cellphone and stealing it outside a Miami club in March. Those charges were dropped in May. McGregor admitted he was in the wrong with regard to that situation, as well.

"I need to just stop reacting to the bait," McGregor said. "People are trying to bait me into things. Am I the fish or am I the whale? I must be calm, I must be zen. I must lead by example. There's so many people looking up to me. How can I react in this way? I need to get a hold of this and, like I said, I'm working very hard to do this."

McGregor, 31, is the biggest star of the UFC, having been a part of four of the top pay-per-view events in promotion history. He also fought Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match in 2017, a bout that earned him upwards of $50 million, he has said. In the interview with Helwani, McGregor expressed concern that his current lifestyle will squander the fortune he has made in combat sports.

"So, if I have this opportunity before me, if I don't execute this and get this right, make this happen for the children of my children's children, all of my successes, all of everything I've achieved will be void, will be meaningless to me," McGregor said. "I must get this right and I must not go down that path, the written path, the cliché of the fighter that has it all and ruins [it]. I need to be aware of my past, of the past of other individuals, and learn from it and grow and that's what I'm doing."

McGregor said he's "eager" to return to the UFC. He's currently recovering from surgery on a broken left hand he suffered in May. The original plan was for him to return in July possibly against Justin Gaethje at Madison Square Garden, McGregor said, but the hand injury prevented that. A fight before 2019 is over is a possibility, he said.

For a comeback bout, McGregor said it doesn't matter who he faces. He mentioned former rivals like Khabib Nurmagomedov, Nate Diaz, Dustin Poirier, Jose Aldo and Max Holloway, as well as possible new foes like Tony Ferguson, Frankie Edgar and Gaethje. McGregor said he is in a good position as far as negotiations with the UFC. A stake in the company is no longer a "sticking point" for his return, but it remains something he wants.

McGregor said he took inspiration from Diaz's win over Anthony Pettis at UFC 241 last weekend in Diaz's first fight since losing to McGregor in 2016. McGregor also mentioned Stipe Miocic's ability to overcome his knockout loss to Daniel Cormier and finish Cormier at UFC 241. The Irishman said he yearns for his own chance to make a triumphant return after his loss to Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 in October 2018.

"Mine is gonna be the greatest one of all," McGregor said.

In March, McGregor announced on Twitter his retirement from the UFC. In the interview, McGregor said he is anything but retired -- and he's not sure he ever will hang up the gloves. At the moment, it seems like McGregor's primary focus is getting back in the Octagon.

"I must get my head screwed on and just get back in the game and fight for redemption, retribution, respect -- the things that made me the man I am," McGregor said. "And that's what I will do."

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/27441486

Advertisement