Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things the PC brigade don't want to hear or admit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to use the Internet unsupervised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Travellers account for 0.7 % of the general population but represent 10-20% of prisoners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisons_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/disproportionate-number-of-travellers-in-prison-population-1.3263524

Have you any stats or facts that are true but the PC brigade won't like to hear?
    Travellers are disproportionately the subject of negative discrimination in Ireland.

Come and get me, PC brigade. I'll come quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

“Don’t”

Yours truly

The grammar brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Will the PC Brigade come in an emergency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

adox wrote: »
    “Don’t”

Yours truly

The grammar brigade.

Cheers, pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Travellers are disproportionately the subject of negative discrimination in Ireland.

I wonder why?
    Chicken and egg?

Pavee Point's newest recruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Travellers make massive contributions to society. They are responsible for massive garda overtime and council workers fixing the damage to housing estates. How do you expect travellers to access Free Legal Aid that keeps solicitors families out of the work house admittedly at the taxpayers expense. Social workers structure their year around the "Patterns" and "wedding season".

Some people call it sexual assault travellers call it "grabbing", tha's culture boy.

Come and get me, PC brigade. I'll come quietly.

answering stats with an opinion is weak sauce bucko

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do the traveller pc brigade overlap with the, say, race brigade or the equality brigade or any other brigades? Or is it a case of, if you are pc about one group you are pc about them all? How pc do you have to be to be in the brigade? These are important questions as I am trying to figure out if pc is a good thing or a bad thing, and where do I sit on the graph?

• Advertisement

I wonder why?
    Chicken and egg?
    There is a huge element of criminality within the Traveller Community, yes, but I think too many settled people lay the sole responsibility upon the travellers to integrate without making any effort to assist in that integration themselves.

Don't believe me? How many employers here would be willing to hire a traveller, even if their record was squeaky clean? I'm sure someone will come in mouthing off in an effort to show me up but let's be honest here, very very few employers actually would.

The Josef Goebbles of Pavee Point. Isnt diversity one of our strengths?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Did you actually read the last article? The statistics are given by Travellers and Travellers rights activists themselves. It’s not something that anyone - including the “PC brigade” - is trying to deny. In fact, they’re actively using them to show that Travellers are being discriminated against!

There should be a basic comprehension test to determine that potential posters can understand and reason to the level of the average 12 year old before posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There are 2 genders.
    Travellers are poorly regarded because of their behaviour, not discrimination.
    Nobody is entitled to own their own home, that's a right you have to earn.

So Whats the message? We need to get more settled people into prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Travellers account for 0.7 % of the general population but represent 10-20% of prisoners.

It's your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't believe me? How many employers here would be willing to hire a traveller, even if their record was squeaky clean? I'm sure someone will come in mouthing off in an effort to show me up but let's be honest here, very very few employers actually would.

But who should make the first move? Employers who have been burned before, or who still see the carry on of the majority of travellers, or the travellers themselves by showing that regardless of the circumstances, they won't resort to crime? It's a tough one, and one which I couldn't resolve. As I have a dislike for them based on professional and personal experiences. (Did I say that in a PC enough kind of way?)

Something the PC Brigade don't want to hear? Equality means equal to everyone, not just minorities or those who are discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Racist this racist that......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Travellers are poorly regarded because of their behaviour, not discrimination.

Every traveller behaves badly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

That’s literally what he said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Crock Rock versus Woke Hogan in the middle of the squared circle could be our generation's Wrestlemania X8 moment.

It's convenient for settled people to blame Travellers entirely for the tension between both communities but we need to wake up to the fact that settled people are discriminatory and predujiced towards Travellers from a very early age. How many of us have heard stories about Traveller children being bullied in primary school for being Travellers, for example? It takes two to tango.

80% of Traveller males over 22 have a criminal record. the other 20% havent been caught yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I don't get 10-20 percent of anything?

The prison population is either 10% full of knackers or 20 % full of knackers , what is it?

I always thought that 100% of the prison population are knackers ?

What am I getting wrong here?

Why do people insist on bashing travellers on this forum? What is the point?

That’s literally what he said.

*she

I'll clarify - as a group they are poorly regarded because of the behaviour we are aware of.

I honestly don't know anyone who has had a positive experience with any of them.

To all the traveller hating folk:

No one denies that there are many social problems amongst the travelling community.
    There is a problem with integration with the wider society as a whole. And yes, criminality is a problem that appears to be more widespread in the traveller community.

This seems to cause a lot of angst from people here. What is your solution?
    Grenoside?
    I'd really like to hear how you might solve the problem (or perhaps I don't).

Personally, I don't know but I do know that continuing to prejudge every single traveller as worthless scum sure doesn't seem to be helping.
    Why would a traveller want to integrate into a society that socially accepts outright hatred for people they have never met?
    I have no doubt that if I was born a traveller that I'd have learned from a very early age that I was scum and not welcome in the wider community.
    What incentive would there be for me to become an upstanding member of a society that hates me without knowing anything about me?

I don't see things improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It's convenient for settled people to blame Travellers entirely for the tension between both communities but we need to wake up to the fact that settled people are discriminatory and predujiced towards Travellers from a very early age. How many of us have heard stories about Traveller children being bullied in primary school for being Travellers, for example? It takes two to tango.

I’ve heard the opposite.

Travellers don't want to integrate, they actively sought to be recognised as an ethnic minority.

I honestly don't know anyone who has had a positive experience with any of them.

How would anyone have positive experiences with them? There is almost no integration. They aren't welcome where we go.

• Advertisement

This thread is mind-numbing.

People actually defending discrimination of travellers because employers have had bad experiences -- this is exactly how racists speak everywhere in the world. You don't get a free pass from being a racist because a lot of people agree with your degenerate opinions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement