Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things the PC brigade don't want to hear or admit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

bubblypop wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'integrate '
    What would travellers have to do in order for people to feel they have integrated?

Stop being violent, thieving savages

I wouldnt mind it. Dole at 16, education is for chumps, then when I do realise its worth I can get reserved places on some softy softy course like Social care. Housing I jump to the head of the queue, dont need no deposit or anything because its the councils problem. When it doesnt suit me I can wreck the gaff and get a new one. All that stuff stupid settled people dont like "grabbing", "boxing", "child marriages", dropping out of education, respecting the law? Well you see Boss that's me culture....... and if you dont like it then you are a RACIST!!!

Thats a class lifestyle.

You forgot, have armies of media luvies gush over you

Why would the Irish legal system discriminate against travellers by putting them in jail without reason? What benefit would this provide? In America prisoners make goods for large companies. This is highly profitable. In Ireland it's the opposite. It costs money to jail people.

Seriously could someone explain why travellers would be in jail due to discrimination and not because of their own actions?

It's mean of you to blow to smithereens the bogus arguments of ambitious virtue signallers

There’s no comparison between those groups and Irish travellers. Utterly insane.

The Australians wiped out the indigenous population. The Americans enslaved blacks for centuries. Britain invaded India and committed acts of genocide.

Travellers are Irish people who travel. Transferring millions of euros in welfare payments isn’t discrimination.

The whole thing is bogus upper class bollocks anyway. Traveller halting sites can go anywhere but are inevitably pushed into the poorest parts of Dublin and Ireland. I’d take the anti racist bollocks of the liberal bourgeois somewhat seriously if their actions weren’t so racist by their own definition.

Bestowing exotic culture status on travellers is an intellectual vanity project for Irish Times reading chin strokers

It's more about wagging the finger at middle Ireland than anything else, the same **** who shout about toxic masculinity and rape culture haven't a word of mention about grabbing or bare knuckle fights

bubblypop wrote: »
    There are no 'African gangs '
    There are, no doubt, gangs of young lads hanging around getting into trouble, same as there has been in Ireland for generations.

Hi colette browne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's a halting site in a field beside the River Barrow here. One of the occupants has sexually assaulted numerous women who have been walking or jogging by the river. He's been doing this for about ten years and the most severe punishment he's gotten has been a nine month prison sentence. Discrimination my arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 129 ✭✭Ecce No Homo

Around and around and around it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

That diversity isn't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There's a halting site in a field beside the River Barrow here. One of the occupants has sexually assaulted numerous women who have been walking or jogging by the river. He's been doing this for about ten years and the most severe punishment he's gotten has been a nine month prison sentence. Discrimination my arse.

You can’t use a single specific case to refute an established statistical trend.

I know a man (not a traveller) who repeatedly abused at least 4 different female children over a number of years, and possibly many more. Despite at least 2 of those (now) women making statements to the Gardai about him in the last few years, and being fully willing to testify, he hasn’t even been arrested.

Does this one harrowing case somehow mean that settled people are more leniently dealt with than travellers (given that the traveller you mentioned was actually sentenced)? No, it would be absurd to claim so.

So why would your anecdote be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

*she

I honestly don't know anyone who has had a positive experience with any of them.

You do now. I have had great courtesy and active kindness from many Travellers. Even the offer of a good house at low rent when I was about to be made homeless. Other kindnesses and almost always courtesy.

I take each person as I find them. No labels or prejudice.

NB if you treat folk badly or have a bad attitude to them, you really cause bad actions. Old saying about giving a dog a bad name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sometimes the right ...is right.

That they are less knowledgeable than they think they are.

That sometimes they are less knowledgeable than the person they are arguing against (a conservative etc).

The opposite can also be said to be true though.

Most of all that they are no kinder for being PC. That for all the PCness they can still be quite mean or outright rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Come out ye blacks and trans
    Come debate me like a man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    There is a huge element of criminality within the Traveller Community, yes, but I think too many settled people lay the sole responsibility upon the travellers to integrate without making any effort to assist in that integration themselves.

Don't believe me? How many employers here would be willing to hire a traveller, even if their record was squeaky clean? I'm sure someone will come in mouthing off in an effort to show me up but let's be honest here, very very few employers actually would.

The only 'settled' people are travellers that have stopped travelling.

Varta wrote: »
    The only 'settled' people are travellers that have stopped travelling.

jesus we must be due reparations from them for the loss of our culture so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Traveller women are 30 times more likely than settled women to be victims of domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Traveller women are 30 times more likely than settled women to be victims of domestic violence.
    probably due to discrimination by the settled folk....some how

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Are there bad traveller's. Of course there are. Are there decent traveller's. Hate to break it to everyone but yes there is. Played football with a few who were bang on. One of my locals in Castlebar has a few drinking in there and they are never any trouble. But isn't way easier to blame them all. If you think they're all bad you're an imbecile.

One law that could be implemented that could raise the education standard amongst traveller's would be that all traveller children have to stay in school until 16. The same as the settled community. If implemented it would take time to see the benefits but the benefits would be realized.

ollkiller wrote: »
    Are there bad traveller's. Of course there are. Are there decent traveller's. Hate to break it to everyone but yes there is. Played football with a few who were bang on. One of my locals in Castlebar has a few drinking in there and they are never any trouble. But isn't way easier to blame them all. If you think they're all bad you're an imbecile.

One law that could be implemented that could raise the education standard amongst traveller's would be that all traveller children have to stay in school until 16. The same as the settled community. If implemented it would take time to see the benefits but the benefits would be realized.

its neither as simple as making it a question of ratios nor excluding the ratios entirely

if you want to go down the road of divvying everyone up by their metadata of colour, class, ethnicity, gender, sexual preference, race, weight, height and parental status, then dont be surprised when one of the outcomes is that some interesting anomalies start to pop up in the figures that you didnt want people to look at.

essentially, when you start with an angle, be aware that the law of unintended consequences is damn-near a constant, and that pretending that underlying issues will go away by throwing behaviour out and ethnicity in is not going to fool anybody for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Graces7 wrote: »
    NB if you treat folk badly or have a bad attitude to them, you really cause bad actions.

Maybe you should tell the Travellers that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Honestly you snowflakes need to stop overreacting and start looking at these things with facts and logic. You would have to be blind not to acknowledge Travellers are often discriminated against.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Honestly you snowflakes need to stop overreacting and start looking at these things with facts and logic. You would have to be blind not to acknowledge Travellers are often discriminated against.

Ah Mr. Buzzwords is back, L.O.L, he's so "woke".

They are discriminated against because of their actions. Tell them to stop being bold and we can all be friends and play together.

Are you ok cupcake?

How are your facts and logic when it comes to traveller criminality contributing to their perception among the "settled people"?

Ah Mr. Buzzwords is back, L.O.L, he's so "woke".

They are discriminated against because of their actions. Tell them to stop being bold and we can all be friends and play together.

Are you ok cupcake?

How are your facts and logic when it comes to traveller criminality contributing to their perception among the "settled people"?
    Individual Travellers who haven't ever done a thing wrong should be tainted by the wider perception of the Travelling community then, is what you're saying. You know, there are two words I'm thinking of that describe that point of view, they both start with "R."

The snowflake brigade really are out in force in this discussion. They just can't hear or admit it when someone who's not afraid to cut through the bull**** tells it like it is. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

OK, let's go with this:

- 0.6% of the population in Ireland in 2016 were travellers
    - They account for 10% of male prisoners, and 20% of female prisoners
    - In 2016, there were 4.726 million people in Ireland
    - This would mean there were 28356 travellers in Ireland in 2016
    - There were 2546 females and 10033 males in prison in 2016
    - This means 509 of 2546 women in prison were travellers
    - And 1003 males in prison were travellers

So, in 2016 3549 travellers were in prison - 28.21%
    Of the remaining 4,713,421 people in Ireland, only 0.19% were in prison.

So, nearly 30% of travellers end up in prison, and 0.2% of the rest of the population ends up in prison. I'm sure this will be blamed on profiling, etc, but I call BS. There's that many in prison because they break the law. Regardless of why they broke the law, they did, got caught and got sent to prison.

OK, let's go with this:

- 0.6% of the population in Ireland in 2016 were travellers
    - They account for 10% of male prisoners, and 20% of female prisoners
    - In 2016, there were 4.726 million people in Ireland
    - This would mean there were 28356 travellers in Ireland in 2016
    - There were 2546 females and 10033 males in prison in 2016
    - This means 509 of 2546 women in prison were travellers
    - And 1003 males in prison were travellers

So, in 2016 3549 travellers were in prison - 28.21%
    Of the remaining 4,713,421 people in Ireland, only 0.19% were in prison.

So, nearly 30% of travellers end up in prison, and 0.2% of the rest of the population ends up in prison. I'm sure this will be blamed on profiling, etc, but I call BS. There's that many in prison because they break the law. Regardless of why they broke the law, they did, got caught and got sent to prison.
    What's your point? Nobody is denying that the Travelling community is riddled with criminality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Travellers account for 0.7 % of the general population but represent 10-20% of prisoners.

Have you any stats or facts that are true but the PC brigade don't like to hear?

Not as significant (in terms of proportional representation), but over in Eng&Wales (2016), it's found that the 'religon of peace' accounts for a staggering 15%^ of the total prison population.

That's also a +7.7% increase from 2002, and represents 300% above what it should be, if ^their actual total overall population is just 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What's your point? Nobody is denying that the Travelling community is riddled with criminality.

My point is that people are saying not all travellers are bad, and I'm pointing out the 28% difference between travellers in prison and everyone else. While there are most likely some 'good' travellers, the facts show that they are disproportionally more likely to not be 'good'. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The so called PC brigade have the same tendencies no matter which of their cherished groups they are talking about.

And travellers are one of the included groups, along with some religious and ethnic groups.

The so called PC brigade always dismiss negative comments about the social deficiencies, the lack of integration into mainstream society, the often isolationist outlook, the criminality, the feuding, the sometimes extremist attitudes, the treatment of animals, the misogynistic attitudes, the treatment of children, the racist attitudes, the anti gay attitudes of one of their beloved pet groups by immediately targeting those making the comments.

How dare anyone speak negatively of them.
    You are deemed a racist, a nazi, a bigot.
    The default defense is to attack the person making the point and try cow them into submission.

And how dare one bring up some inconvenient stats that might actually back up the statements as facts.

The stats are immediately attacked and any tiny inconsistency is deemed grounds for dismissal.

And even the stats and facts are acknowledged, the blame for the poor results is laid at the feet of those making the point in the first place.

It is always someone else fault.

The so called the PC brigade often comes across with a superiority complex where they seem to believe that these groups are never at fault for their own shortcomings and almost as if they are incapable of making informed decisions about their lives and their lots.

But the real kicker here is that a lot of the most ardent defenders of all these groups are often the exact type of people that these groups despise.

Feminists are hated for promoting equality, they are the antithesis of what these groups most likely see as the lot for womenfolk in their communities.

Homosexuals are hated because they are viewed as deviants that these groups refuse to acknowledge exist amongst them and think at best deserve to be shunned to at worse to be eradicated by any means possible.

But yet these are often the ones at the forefront of defending the often appalling behaviour. :rolleyes:

The level of cognitive dissonance shown by the defenders of these groups is sometimes astounding.

My point is that people are saying not all travellers are bad, and I'm pointing out the 28% difference between travellers in prison and everyone else. While there are most likely some 'good' travellers, the facts show that they are disproportionally more likely to not be 'good'. That's all.
    You're completely missing the point. It's been pointed out so many times by different posters, that it must be deliberate.

There is a disproportionately high incidence of criminality in the traveller community. That is a fact, just like it's a fact that traveller males are 6 - 7 times more likely to die by suicide than the wider population.

We all know the statistics. There are similar si tats in the USA when it comes to black and Hispanic prisoners showing-up disproportionately in their prison stats.

It would be bigoted to discriminate a black person on that basis, in employment or in any other area of social interaction, and the very same goes for individual travellers. They are individual human beings, you cannot claim that it's reasonable to discriminate based on previous experiences of other individuals in that group. That's the most identifiable hallmark of a racist.

There isn't an excuse. If you're doing it, you're a racist, or a bigot, go ahead and choose whichever word you'd prefer for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Individual Travellers who haven't ever done a thing wrong should be tainted by the wider perception of the Travelling community then, is what you're saying. You know, there are two words I'm thinking of that describe that point of view, they both start with "R."

The snowflake brigade really are out in force in this discussion. They just can't hear or admit it when someone who's not afraid to cut through the bull**** tells it like it is. :D:D:D

The only bull**** here is the stuff you are posting. I can tell you from personal experience that every encounter I’ve had with them in nearly 30 odd years has been negative - I don’t have a single good experience to relay so you must be naive as **** or one of them yourself. They are scum for the majority and a few “single good ones” (if they even exist), would do themselves a massive favor by disassociating themselves from this decrepit, worthless culture.

The 1981-83 group should be ****ing ashamed of choosing integration over assimilation, then the cherry on top of old gob****e Enda giving these ***** an ethnic status.

• Advertisement

The only bull**** here is the stuff you are posting. I can tell you from personal experience that every encounter I’ve had with them in nearly 30 odd years has been negative - I don’t have a single good experience to relay so you must be naive as **** or one of them yourself. They are scum
    Don't forget the other common denominator here - You.

If you have a problem with every one, maybe it's time to question whether you are the problem.

Reminds me of a guy I worked with who was convinced he was being bullied by maybe half-a-dozen dozen people in work, and this pattern had been arising in his previous employments too -- he was genuinely convinced he was a lifelong victim.

It hadn't occurred to him that he was widely disliked for his abrasive, obtuse, belligerent personality, and it was that which caused trouble to follow him around from job to job.

The same phenomenon is regularly seen on this website, with a small number of extremely hostile people repeatedly having run-ins with mods and other posters, and insisting they are victims of bullying/injustice. Bizarre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement