Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

mike_cork wrote: »
    Fergus O'Dowd has gone on radio this morning to say Bailey should not run for FG in the next election

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1155762872833781761

About time, let the fun begin. I can see other TDs doing the same to protect themselves. They will eat themselves alive over this atrociously handled mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,288 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It just occurs to me that this thread has been running for longer than it took Maria Bailey to recover from her crippling injuries to participate in a 10 km run

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    About time, let the fun begin. I can see other TDs doing the same to protect themselves. They will eat themselves alive over this atrociously handled mess.
    To be a fly on the wall this morning at FG party HQ would be interesting i suspect. It's only Monday, but i get the feeling the pressure will continue to build this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Dammo

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It just occurs to me that this thread has been running for longer than it took Maria Bailey to recover from her crippling injuries to participate in a 10 km run

I wonder if as she completed that miraculous run did she say to herself “a finish line has been crossed”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

is_that_so wrote: »
    No idea what that has to do with my comment. I think you're genuine in your ire about this but can you say that for everyone else?

I think you may be under-estimating the public response to this. I’m a floating voter myself and unless FG fix this I’ll hold my nose and vote FF and independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I think you may be under-estimating the public response to this. I’m a floating voter myself and unless FG fix this I’ll hold my nose and vote FF and independent.

Even if they do fix it, I won't be voting for them. They have shown an unwillingness to tackle this sort of behaviour within their own party how can they be trusted to then legislate for this sort of behaviour when the public have seen how they behave.

Leading is done by setting the example that people will follow, FG have failed miserably in this.

It is not just Maria Bailey there are few others as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Floppybits wrote: »

It is not just Maria Bailey there are few others as well.
    Alan "false foto" Farrell should be out on his asre. I hope the Indo are building up a nice big fat file on him and his strokes.
    Roaring at the two women in the van that didn't do any damage to his precious car just shows the type of individual he is never mind his dodgy claims and dodgy fotos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This.

https://twitter.com/EamonMelia/status/1155768695756677120?s=19

• Subscribers Posts: 41,084 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

snow balls gathering sh!t as it rolls.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Josepha Madigan may need to answer questions. Nothing mentioned about the €20k that I have seen states whether or not the €20k letter was sent while MB was getting legal advice (I suspect it was), or if she decided to do it herself. Joespha may have been happy with the report from a legal perspective initially, but she should still have to answer questions.
    From January and February this year:
    Fraudulent insurance claims 'the scourge' of the legal profession, former Law Society President says.
    The former President of the Law Society says that fraudulent insurance claims are “the scourge” of the legal profession.
    “Fraudulent claims are the scourge of the legal profession. The scourge of genuine claimants, the last thing any lawyer wants is to be involved in a fraudulent claim, they destroy the reputation, they're a waste of time and money and they ruin it for honest claims,” Stuart Gilhooly told RTE’s Today with Miriam.
    He also rejected the contention by the insurance industry that lower awards would lead to lower insurance premiums.

No solicitor probed for colluding with 'chancers' to bring fraudulent claims
    No solicitor has ever been investigated for knowingly helping a client bring a fraudulent case, despite insurers probing hundreds of potentially bogus claims.
    Insurance costs are soaring, and high levels of fraud have been blamed - with claimants even flying into Ireland to bring injury claims due to high payouts here.
    Business groups stung by high costs have demanded that "ambulance-chasing" lawyers are thoroughly investigated and brought to book.
    But the Irish Independent has confirmed that not one solicitor has been investigated for bringing a case they knew to be fraudulent by the Law Society, the body which represents solicitors in Ireland.
    Similarly, nobody has ever been prosecuted for insurance fraud or perjury in such cases meaning that people who lie in court are escaping unpunished.
    .....there are serious issues with solicitors always using the standard line that they acted in good faith, when there are many cases which have no basic grounding in fact," he told the Irish Independent. "In our view, if you want to represent chancers, you have to bear some level of moral hazard and the moment certain solicitors aren't doing that and the Law Society isn't acting on it.
    ..Ken Murphy, director general of the Law Society, said if a solicitor was found to have acted for a client when they knew a personal injuries claim was fraudulent, that would likely be "career-ending for that solicitor".

So assuming Madigan was there and saw the fall, stayed in contact with MB when she was running the 10k etc. It is likely that she knew the case wasn't 100% above board.
    Unlike most lawyers, it looks like Madigan was a witness to the incident and friends with the claimant, giving her a lot more insight into the whole thing.
    To me that should mean that she has much more to answer for, whether or not the case made it to court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Suckit wrote: »
    Josepha Madigan may need to answer questions. Nothing mentioned about the €20k that I have seen states whether or not the €20k letter was sent while MB was getting legal advice (I suspect it was), or if she decided to do it herself. Joespha may have been happy with the report from a legal perspective initially, but she should still have to answer questions.
    Fraudulent insurance claims 'the scourge' of the legal profession, former Law Society President says.

So assuming Madigan was there and saw the fall, stayed in contact with MB when she was running the 10k etc. It is likely that she knew the case wasn't 100% above board.
    Unlike most lawyers, it looks like Madigan was a witness to the incident and friends with the claimant, giving her a lot more insight into the whole thing.
    To me that should mean that she has much more to answer for, whether or not the case made it to court.

Its not wholly inconcievable that Leo himself was in the vicinity.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,728 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mike_cork wrote: »

I love how they keep throwing that pic of Maria and Leo in too (at the end in this one) - the expression on the guy! Even though it's from 2017, he might as well be saying "**** you Ireland!" :rolleyes:

I keep saying it... his crowning achievement will be that he proved to be even WORSE than his immediate predecessors!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

O'Dowd's opinion is getting picked up by others in the media

'What she did was wrong': Fine Gael TD says Maria Bailey shouldn't stand in next election

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/what-she-did-was-wrong-fine-gael-td-says-maria-bailey-shouldnt-stand-in-next-election-940082.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Looks like Maria has been thrown under the bus, plenty of room under there for Farrell and Madigan aswell .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Fair play to O'Dowd.
    Hopefully Leo makes a comment one way or the other. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Suckit wrote:
    Fair play to O'Dowd. Hopefully Leo makes a comment one way or the other.

Leo waited until the day Boris was elected to announce how Bailey was being dealt with . Hoping to bury the story, backfired spectacularly especially after what came to light in yesterday's Indo. The damage to FG and Leo is growing by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    O'Dowd's opinion is getting picked up by others in the media

'What she did was wrong': Fine Gael TD says Maria Bailey shouldn't stand in next election

Rats and sinking ships springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

The icing on the cake would be the now minister liking or commenting on her 10k performance post on social media three weeks after her debilitating accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

One person urged Fine Gael to take a "Christian" approach to Ms Bailey's situation, suggesting that Mr Varadkar "step in and save Maria". The writer added that she "only needs to make a 'Mea Culpa' statement" and said: "She can recover. She's not toxic."

Own up... Who wrote this letter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Some nice weather at the weekend so got those green fingers busy on some gardening work.

486658.png

All joking aside, I am seriously thinking about this, as I think it would send out a clear message.

Can you imaging a whole housing estate replicating this and then that image in the media during the next election!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

JeffKenna wrote: »
    One person urged Fine Gael to take a "Christian" approach to Ms Bailey's situation, suggesting that Mr Varadkar "step in and save Maria". The writer added that she "only needs to make a 'Mea Culpa' statement" and said: "She can recover. She's not toxic."

Own up... Who wrote this letter!

I think you will get good money on _Kaiser_ :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ForestFire wrote: »
    Some nice weather at the weekend so got those green fingers busy on some gardening work.

486658.png

All joking aside, I am seriously thinking about this, as I think it would send out a clear message.

Can you imaging a whole housing estate replicating this and then that image in the media during the next election!!

I posted it a few pages back

Agree a poster which tells FG they are not alloewed to entry property and contact your local legal representative....stick the poster on gate/entrance etc

Plaster the country with them......

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Gardaí have a clear view
    Gardai do not decide if a case goes to court no matter what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

No but they are responsible for investigating and sending a file to the DPP.

No one else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

It’s their job to detect crime, including fraud. Are you suggesting they don’t know what they are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

They do decide what to investigate, and whether or not to prepare a file for the DPP. What was stated here earlier, was that an exaggerated claim is essentially the same as a false claim, both being fraud. I don't see how it could view it any other way.

Hmmm, I am not sure you caught the actual question.

What Kerrigan is saying is that there is no reason the report shouldn't be made public. Many many people agree with him.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/gene-kerrigan-mr-justice-varadkar-has-ruled-on-bailey-38351906.html

Why do you think the report should be kept secret?

Gene just wants people to talk about Gene and he does love to rile 'em up. No real opinion on the report TBH, published or not. If there's a legal case to be made, all well and good, if not then it's just more column inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭banie01

One doesn't hire a dog and do their own barking ;)
    The refusal of the cheque issued by the Dean, its return and the "likely" without prejudice offer to settle for the sum stated in the letter forwarded would IMO only have issued via Ms Bailey's legal counsel and not directly from Ms Bailey.

Madigan is up to her eyeballs in this and the lack of any credible or coherent response from FG other than arse covering is really coming home to roost.

• Advertisement

Fair play to O'Dowd.
    Hopefully Leo makes a comment one way or the other. :D

O'Dowd is just making sure the local constituency knows his views.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement