Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Gael TD sues Dublin Hotel after falling off swing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think you need to read it again.

I don't see the speculation. We all know who involved. The Dean have CCTV evidence. It's already public knowledge that Maria had lied on an affidavit.

So who were the witnesses were interviewed on a confidential basis???
    The Swing?
    Maria Bailey?
    The Dean?

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/gene-kerrigan-mr-justice-varadkar-has-ruled-on-bailey-38351906.html
    I'm pretty sure I don't as this information has been available everywhere else but thanks anyway . It's a perfect example of confirmation bias and he's doing exactly what he claims Varadkar is doing; sitting in judgement. He's not even a poor man's version of FOT or Myers just all about his version of reality.

Do you ever get the feeling that this thread is being monitored, not just by moderators?

Leo Varadkar bombarded with Maria Bailey swing-gate mail from 'lifelong voters' deserting Fine Gael

Here's my own.

IMG-20190729-074828.jpg

**Waves at Leo**
    You do seem to trust in the integrity and honesty of those "writing" the emails!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

is_that_so wrote: »
    You do seem to trust in the integrity and honesty of those "writing" the emails!:p

By integrity, do you mean someone who has never taken a personal injury claim against another party, exaggerated overstated or otherwise?

By integrity, do you mean someone who has never taken a personal injury claim against another party, exaggerated overstated or otherwise?
    No idea what that has to do with my comment. I think you're genuine in your ire about this but can you say that for everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Serious question, what are the confidentiality/privacy issues that arise from the report? Part of Maria Bailey's party were not public figures and they don't want it known that they were out on the town? Part of Maria Bailey's group would be telling truths so damning that they needed to have their identities kept secret?

• Advertisement

boombang wrote: »
    Serious question, what are the confidentiality/privacy issues that arise from the report? Part of Maria Bailey's party were not public figures and they don't want it known that they were out on the town? Part of Maria Bailey's group would be telling truths so damning that they needed to have their identities kept secret?
    OK, this is not some form of Cold War spy ring! They conducted an internal review, interviewed people confidentially and some of these answers are none of any else's business. Rumour is the report may be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

OK, this is not some form of Cold War spy ring! They conducted an internal review, interviewed people confidentially and some of these answers are none of any else's business. Rumour is the report may be published.

I'm not saying there aren't privacy issues, but I'm just interested to know what they might be and how reasonable they are.

No idea what that has to do with my comment. I think you're genuine in your ire about this but can you say that for everyone else?

I think the point went over your head, you said I seemed to have trust in the integrity of those that are writing emails.

It's the integrity of those elected into the Oireachtas and entrusted with writing laws that can have a knock on effect to every single citizen in the state we should be more concerned with, not 'cranks on the net' filling in an email template.

I think the point went over your head, you said I seemed to have trust in the integrity of those that are writing emails.

It's the integrity of those elected into the Oireachtas sand entrusted with writing laws that can have a knock on effect to every single citizen in the state we should be more concerned with, not 'cranks on the net' filling in an email template.
    I think you yelled whataboutery and moved the goalposts sideways but that's fine too.
    Oh, I'd say the laws are pretty safe, the process sees to that. You do seem to be giving our esteemed Oireachtas members some extraordinary powers of influence!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are police making the laws now, I thought it was down to the judiciary and the Dail. A lawyer reviewed her case and said it wasn't fraud.

did they? can you quote exactly what they said? Even leo has admitted that she exaggerated her claim. exaggerating a claim for financial benefit IS fraud.

• Advertisement

did they? can you quote exactly what they said? Even leo has admitted that she exaggerated her claim. exaggerating a claim for financial benefit IS fraud.
    A lawyer saying it is a shorthand way of saying it would never get to or stand up in court.

A lawyer saying it is a shorthand way of saying it would never get to or stand up in court.

but you have no idea what the lawyer said.

but you have no idea what the lawyer said.
    No, but thinking there's fraud doesn't mean there is fraud, legally speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The Indo is getting great mileage out the Bailey story, if only Leo had the integrity and cop on to deal with it when the story broke two months ago.
    More to follow from the Indo I suspect after they mentioned the attempted 20k shakedown of the Dean yesterday. I wonder who advised Bailey to pen the demand letter or was it a solo run?

there is an admission that she exaggerated her claim. that should be investigated further by the gardai.

The Indo is getting great mileage out the Bailey story, if only Leo had the integrity and cop on to deal with it when the story broke two months ago.
    More to follow from the Indo I suspect after they mentioned the attempted 29k shakedown of the Dean yesterday. I wonder who advised Bailey to pen the demand letter or was it a solo run?

what is this about shakedown of the dean? what did i miss yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

The Indo reported yesterday that The Dean sent her a cheque for €600 for medical expenses. She sent it back to them and sent a letter demanding €20K, apparently for ‘past and future medical expenses’.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I get the impression the Indo has plenty more to go on this story and prob has the video from the Dean

The drip feed of articles is worse for Leo, Bailey and FG

"Maria Bailey: Just to be clear, I’m not looking for damages, I was only looking to have my medical expenses recouped.

MB: There are legitimate expenses that are verified, you’re only talking, €6,000 - €7,000 here. I’ve absorbed those costs already."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/transcript-of-maria-bailey-interview-on-sean-o-rourke-show-1.3905867

Turns out good old Maria asked the hotel for €20,000 compensation

She wrote a letter to the Dean seeking a payment of 20k for medical expenses, yet in the S.O.R. show she claimed she was only seeking 7 k. ( I edited my post as i had inadvertently wrote 29 instead of 20)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,270 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I get the impression the Indo has plenty more to go on this story and prob has the video from the Dean

The drip feed of articles is worse for Leo, Bailey and FG

"Maria Bailey: Just to be clear, I’m not looking for damages, I was only looking to have my medical expenses recouped.

MB: There are legitimate expenses that are verified, you’re only talking, €6,000 - €7,000 here. I’ve absorbed those costs already."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/transcript-of-maria-bailey-interview-on-sean-o-rourke-show-1.3905867

Turns out good old Maria asked the hotel for €20,000 compensation
    Do you have a link to this?
    That link above just seems to be a transcript of the SOR interview.

Edit
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/bailey-originally-sought-20k-from-hotel-in-swing-fall-case-939974.html
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maria-bailey-initially-asked-hotel-for-20000-to-cover-her-swing-fall-expenses-claim-38351916.html
    Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I'm pretty sure I don't as this information has been available everywhere else but thanks anyway . It's a perfect example of confirmation bias and he's doing exactly what he claims Varadkar is doing; sitting in judgement. He's not even a poor man's version of FOT or Myers just all about his version of reality.

Hmmm, I am not sure you caught the actual question.

What Kerrigan is saying is that there is no reason the report shouldn't be made public. Many many people agree with him.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/gene-kerrigan-mr-justice-varadkar-has-ruled-on-bailey-38351906.html
    I don't know who David Kennedy is. We don't know what terms he worked under, what evidence he heard, exactly what conclusions he reached, and - crucially - how he worded those conclusions.

None of that has been deemed any of our business - although it involves a TD, and the actions of a party leader and Taoiseach.

The inquiry report isn't published; Varadkar made a statement that supposedly summarised aspects of the report. His excuse for not publishing is that witnesses were interviewed on a confidential basis.

This is nonsense.

It gives the impression that there are all sorts of private matters, inside information, which witnesses revealed on a strictly confidential basis. There's no evidence that this happened.

This is about a bloody swing in a hotel, a legal claim made in writing, supported by an affidavit, medical reports and so on. There are no secret whistleblowers, there are no surprise witnesses.

There is no need to publish witness statements. There is, though, a need to publish Kennedy's conclusions and the basis for them.

Why do you think the report should be kept secret?

The Gardaí have a clear view
    Earlier this month, Deputy Commissioner John Twomey, Chief Superintendent Pat Lordan and Andrew McLindon, director of communications at An Garda Síochána attended a meeting of the Joint Committee on Finance, Public Expenditure and Reform.

During the meeting, Sinn Féin TD Pearse Doherty asked those present about the difference between fraud and exaggerated claims.

Chief Superintendent Lordan said he believes there is no difference and also went on to say that claims believed to be exaggerated and defined as fraud should, by law, be reported to the gardai by people in the know.

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2019/07/24/reporting-exaggerated-claims/

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Fergus O'Dowd has gone on radio this morning to say Bailey should not run for FG in the next election

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1155762872833781761

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

ooh I bet Leo loved that lol

Leo said that the report concluded that what Maria did wasn't fraudulent, only that she exaggerated the state of her injuries on a sworn affidavit, and made numerous inconsistencies to both him and the media that couldn't be reconciled.
    That's a sleveen weasel twist on words if ever there was one.

So she didn't but she did :confused: Leo basically concluded that the report found what he wanted it to find, ignoring the bits in the middle.

If it was Erica Fleming or your one Cash, Leo or his minions wouldn't have minced the words so carefully I reckon.

mike_cork wrote:
    Fergus O'Dowd has gone on radio this morning to say Bailey should not run for FG in the next election

Alan Farrell getting a mention too, ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Leo said that the report concluded that what Maria did wasn't fraudulent, only that she exaggerated the state of her injuries on a sworn affidavit, and made numerous inconsistencies to both him and the media that couldn't be reconciled.
    That's a sleveen weasel twist on words if ever there was one.

So she didn't but she did :confused: Leo basically concluded that the report found what he wanted it to find, ignoring the bits in the middle.

If it was Erica Fleming or your one Cash, Leo or his minions wouldn't have minced the words so carefully I reckon.

If this was anyone else who was not a member of Fine Gael you can bet your best pair of socks that Leo and the other members of the law and order party would screaming from the roof for that person to be sacked and investigated by AGS for fraud.

FG were supposedly the party of law and order and of fiscal financial prudence but alas they are just the same as the others only nastier version.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JPCN1

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    ooh I bet Leo loved that lol

I think he'd want to start reading his tea leaves a bit better...

This could be the end for him and Indo are doing death by 1,000 cuts.

mike_cork wrote: »

O'Dowd was the minister that helped set up Irish Water. He then warned the public from the Dail that there was plans to privatise it.
    FORMER JUNIOR MINISTER Fergus O’Dowd, one the people involved in setting up Irish Water, said last night that he felt that there were “forces at work” with “agendas” to privatise the utility company.

He said he remains “deeply concerned at other agendas, they may be European… I don’t know where they are coming from…” and said we have “real reason to be concerned” about the possibility of Irish Water being privatised.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fergus-odowd-irish-water-agendas-privatisation-1825719-Dec2014/

Fine Gael were clever enough to let Labour take the rap for Irish Water in GE16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Fergus O'Dowd is now a crank too ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement