Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

jebidiah wrote: »
    Good point. I've been running my 1600 OC'd to 3.8GHz since I got it with no problems to VRM temps. Board is a Gigabyte B350 m gaming 3 which seems to be supported (bios download available with "3rd Gen AMD Ryzen CPU full support").

Although it might be easier to sell board and chip as a bundle and upgrade from there.

Throw the chip on adverts for €80-90 and see if you get a nibble. If not then consider throwing it as a barebones with the Mobo and ram (night as well treat yourself to faster ram too).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

jebidiah wrote: »
    Exciting stuff! I'm tempted to go from a 1600 & b350 to the new platform. Would I need to upgrade to a b450 board to get the most out of the new CPU?

My B350 motherboard is pretty much identical to the B450 version, yours might be too.

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f12/pga-am4-mainboard-vrm-liste-1155146.html

I take it the Zen 2 APUs are about a year away ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Availability doesn't seem to be spectacular at the moment, some sellers taking the proverbial - A 3900X is 734.00 Euro on Amazon Italy.

I am extremely tempted to move on from my quite frankly still excellent R7 1700, which has been running at 3.8 on all cores since day 1 (can go a bit higher but it's not worth the hassle in DTD tasks).

The X570 motherboards...besides the price, that little fan is actually a bit of a concern; As much as tech might have advanced, even "premium" manufacturers use cheap parts when it comes to fans (e.g. replaced fans on my Gigabyte G1, new ones started making the same rattling noise less than 6 months in); And...I'm old enough to remember when Northbridges had little whiny, high pitched fans on them. They inevitably failed leading to "ghetto" solutions - the sight of an 80mm fan strapped on top of the failed little one was not an uncommon sight on Socket 7 / Slot A / Socket A motherboards :/

Why would you not go with Amazon.co.uk ?? All MSRP and available to order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm going to guess those chipset fans are not actually needed unless you've got a PCIe 4.0 SSD going full-out.
    Hopefully I'm right on that :D

I was just looking around to see if there was a price difference; Also, I'm trying to get out of the habit of ordering everything from UK suppliers in case they actually go ahead with "brexit" in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I take it the Zen 2 APUs are about a year away ?

Yes.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm going to guess those chipset fans are not actually needed unless you've got a PCIe 4.0 SSD going full-out.
    Hopefully I'm right on that :D

I'm thinking the same thing.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Hopefully I'm right on that

Almost certainly the case, a bit like GPU fans just stay stationary unless the card is actually doing some pretty hefty stuff (my GTX 1070 barely tops 50c while running older games like Skyrim, and the fans just don't even kick in).

Yet that little pesky thing IS there, and might be seized by the time it's actually needed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Precision boost - is this not available on the B450 MSI boards? Something about no voltage offset being available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

I got my 3700x from Amazon UK, and the delivery is set for July 16th (and that's with Prime). I'm not in a hurry, but some other stores might deliver quicker.

I was Gamers Nexus or Hardware unboxed would hurry up and post comparative gaming benchmarks for the 3600 and 3700X. I really want to see if the two extra cores will make much difference to gaming.

I was Gamers Nexus or Hardware unboxed would hurry up and post comparative gaming benchmarks for the 3600 and 3700X. I really want to see if the two extra cores will make much difference to gaming.

Exactly what I'm waiting for. It seems most reviewers didn't get the 3600. Gear Seekers showed numbers for the 3600 and they were very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Any sign of a 3800x review yet? Would like to see if it overclocks any better than the 3700x otherwise it's pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Exactly what I'm waiting for. It seems most reviewers didn't get the 3600. Gear Seekers showed numbers for the 3600 and they were very impressive.

That review seemed massively suspect to me. Gamers Nexus have a 3600 review and I'd be more inclined to trust that and the numbers just didn't tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Just ordered the Gigabyte Aorus extreme from mindfactory. Bit more expensive than I presumed it would be (790). Must not tell the missus :p

That review seemed massively suspect to me. Gamers Nexus have a 3600 review and I'd be more inclined to trust that and the numbers just didn't tally.

I was kind of thinking that too when I was thinking back on it. I really like that channel but when I saw it was showing a 9900k result it got me thinking.

deceit wrote: »
    Just ordered the Gigabyte Aorus extreme from mindfactory. Bit more expensive than I presumed it would be (790). Must not tell the missus :p

Honest question and you should obviously spend your money as you see fit but why? It's not as if these mobos allow massively more OC headroom.

Not trying to pee on your cornflakes at all, apologies if it seems that way - genuinely curious.

Honest question and you should obviously spend your money as you see fit but why? It's not as if these mobos allow massively more OC headroom.

Not trying to pee on your cornflakes at all, apologies if it seems that way - genuinely curious.
    Doesn't sound like that at all and a good question :).
    Honestly I bought it as its pretty, while having the latest features and most of all NO silly fan (most other x570 boards are not good looking bar the asus one with the waterblock but I would prefer a monoblock when release hence why that was a non runner).
    I probably wont even overclock the 3950x when I get it. I only had my 1950x overclocked for 2 months then when reset the bios for something never bothered setting it up again. I never overclocked my 1800x.
    I don't expect any extra performance for it and its extreme overkill but why not if I have the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,862 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hey deceit what do you mean by "NO silly fan" ?

Headshot wrote: »
    All of the other x570 boards have the little silly fan on them because of the pcie4 requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

That Gigabyte board is the only one released so far that has passive cooling on the chipset all the other boards from all manufacturers have a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,862 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

deceit wrote: »
    All of the other x570 boards have the little silly fan on them because of the pcie4 requirements.
    That Gigabyte board is the only one released so far that has passive cooling on the chipset all the other boards from all manufacturers have a fan.

Ah yes i've seen some videos of the X570 mobo's and know what you're talking about now.

I wasnt aware of the fans, good to know

supposedly the fan in the gigabyte x570 aorus master is quiet enough

Ah yes i've seen some videos of the X570 mobo's and know what you're talking about now.

I wasnt aware of the fans, good to know

supposedly the fan in the gigabyte x570 aorus master is quiet enough
    I think most of them are quiet but if your running watercooling they would be tormenting as with everything on low you would always hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,306 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is it always on or just when PCIe ramps up?

Skerries wrote: »
    is it always on or just when PCIe ramps up?

They are always on from what I’ve seen but for a non ultra quiet rig would be a non issue from the looks of it. My old rampage extreme 90% of the time it’s one of these fans was load but every once in a while it went mental and drove me insane

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

I see some of ye ordered 3700x from amazon uk but I'm getting this msg: This item does not ship to Ireland. Any other ryzen3000 available except 3700x

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Does anyone know if any of the retailers offer an option to update a motherboard bios before sending it out?
    I want to pair a 3600 or 3700 with an itx x470 or b450 but don't have a previous gen CPU to update the bios myself 😬

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

superneat wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of the retailers offer an option to update a motherboard bios before sending it out?
    I want to pair a 3600 or 3700 with an itx x470 or b450 but don't have a previous gen CPU to update the bios myself 😬

Get a board that has USB bios flash like this one.

Just download the newest bios, put it on a usb drive, put the usb in the board, bingo.
    Don't even need a cpu or ram installed to do it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FNMLBF9/?tag=pcp0f-21

Advertisement