Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Sssshhh! Stop giving me reasons not to water cool things.
    This upgrade has been a while coming, so I'm going a little overboard with it. Don't mind spending an extra €50-100 for a not-so-necessary block if it adds to the looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Serephucus wrote: »
    Sssshhh! Stop giving me reasons not to water cool things.
    This upgrade has been a while coming, so I'm going a little overboard with it. Don't mind spending an extra €50-100 for a not-so-necessary block if it adds to the looks.
    I'm planning on the same as you, I've decided on the aorus extreme and I'm just waiting until its on overclocked to pay for it.
    Will be a pain waiting on the 3950x to be released but at least will give me time to get the build ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

When will AIB RX5700's likely be on sale?.

EDIT:nvm looks like sometime in August. Long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Looks like 9am ET (2pm BST) is the review NDA lift.

Yea. 2PM for the reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've got two machines to upgrade. Purely gaming for both. 6700k in mine and 4440 in the my young lads. That one needs a gpu upgrade too, I have a 1080 in mine which I'll keep until I see what happens with more Super releases and then probably pass it to the young lad.

Think I'll get him a 3700x, not sure for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Would you not just give the young lads the 6700K and get yourself a 3700X? The 6700K is still a really good gaming CPU unless you've looking at 144hz gaming.

Could also hang onto your 6700K, upgrade the 4440 to an i7-4770 or 4790 for small money (still good gaming CPUs), throw them the 1080 and spend the savings on a 2080 Super for yourself once it arrives.

Yeah had thought along those lines too. Have the pointless upgrade bug though . We both game at 60hz and both have 4k screens although he uses his at 1440p given he currently uses a 970. He plays all sorts, I play mainly sim racing but also games like mass effect, the witcher, Assassins creed stuff like that. Sim racing is via VR

What would a 6700k,16gb ram and a high end mobo be worth selling on? Not sure his is worth much given theres a ram problem somewhere either on the cpu or the mobo as it will only boot with one stick installed and it's not the ram as we've tried other sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a pain. And even worse because RAM performs significantly worse in some games in single channel.

A 6700k would probably get about 160, RAM about 50-60, mobo no idea without knowing what model but as a bundle you might get an OK amount.

Could keep the ram, unless it's slower DDR4 like 2133mhz, not really worth keeping over new 3000/3200mhz ram.

If you're gaming at 4K though I would honestly definitely keep the 6700K and put every penny you can into the best GPU you can afford.

That will make a massive difference, going from a 6700K to anything with give exactly 0% performance gain at 4K and that will remain the case for a while. Get a RTX2080 Super when it launches, seems the perfect card in this case without having to totally break the bank.

Young lads should be delighted even with a 2600X and B450M motherboard - price drops now mean you can get both for not much more than 200 pounds. The rest could go into a GPU.

Titanic upgrade on a 4440 and, again, I think if 60hz 4K gaming is the goal, a 3700X would be unnecessary and every spare penny should go into the GPU.

The mobo is a Asus maximus ranger vii. There's an issue with the 6700k on one of my sim games, the one I use mostly. The game notices some weird quirks when it's oc'd so much so that game thinks I'm cheating and won't time my laps.

Happens when I remove the OC too though so I really need to change. Most likely path then will be to give all that to him and keep the money for a gpu upgrade. Cpu is fine when oc'd and when at stock for everything else it's just this is the game I use most.

The ram is 2400

• Advertisement

Looks like the 3600 is going to be the most popular one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

copying from r/AMD
    List of motherboards with BIOS Flashback

ASRock (BIOS Flashback)
    None!

ASUS (USB BIOS Flashback)

ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
    ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (Wi-Fi AC)
    ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
    ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)

Gigabyte (Q-Flash Plus)
    None!

MSI (Flash BIOS Button)

MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
    MSI B450 Tomahawk
    MSI B450-A Pro
    MSI B450M Bazooka Plus
    MSI B450M Gaming Plus
    MSI B450M Mortar
    MSI B450M Mortar Titanium

MSI X370 Gaming M7 ACK
    MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium

MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC

• Registered Users Posts: 27,865 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

fill yer boots.

There's an ASRock X570 Phantom for £164 as well. That seems reasonable!!

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asrock-x570-phantom-gaming-4-am4-pcie-40-atx-motherboard-pre-order-3258960

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There's an ASRock X570 Phantom for £164 as well. That seems reasonable!!

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/asrock-x570-phantom-gaming-4-am4-pcie-40-atx-motherboard-pre-order-3258960

Absolutely no need for an x570 board for the 3600.

Just get a decent B450 for €75 and you'll get the same experience.

Absolutely no need for an x570 board for the 3600.

Just get a decent B450 for €75 and you'll get the same experience.

Sorry wasn't meant to reply to the original post. Was just saying it seemed a decent price in general and remembered reading people in here looking at them.

Would you need a Ryzen chip to update the bios on X470?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would you need a Ryzen chip to update the bios on X470?

Yes, but depends on board as a good few boards on X570 have the ability to update bios with out chip and there may be a few on X470 with that ability also but as I said it depends on board.

• Advertisement

Yes, but depends on board as a good few boards on X570 have the ability to update bios with out chip and there may be a few on X470 with that ability also but as I said it depends on board.

Have always been Intel so not too clued up on it. So say just putting a 3600 in you wouldn't be able to do it unless the board allowed you to?

Have always been Intel so not too clued up on it. So say just putting a 3600 in you wouldn't be able to do it unless the board allowed you to?

Pretty much but the boards listed in link below allow you to do it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/

Excellent. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Torn between a B450 Tomahawk and a 3600 and the X570 Aorus Elite and the 3700X. Upgrading from the 4790K and only really worried about gaming.

Torn between a B450 Tomahawk and a 3600 and the X570 Aorus Elite and the 3700X. Upgrading from the 4790K and only really worried about gaming.

I have a X570 Aorus Pro and 3700X in my shopping basket. I'm still thinking should I click the button.

I have a X570 Aorus Pro and 3700X in my shopping basket. I'm still thinking should I click the button.

How much is the Aorus pro - I'm seeing silly money for the Elite on Amazon - almost £300!

How much is the Aorus pro - I'm seeing silly money for the Elite on Amazon - almost £300!

It's 270 sterling on Scan.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/motherboards-amd/2928/2929/2930

The Pro is £272.64 on overclockers.co.uk. The Elite is £209.99 on there. I had the Elite in the basket but said I would go up a level. Not even needed. I'm still contemplating clicking the buy button.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Are there NVME SSD's on the market yet than can make use of PCIe4?

PCIe5 is supposed to be out by next year as well. We waited 7 years for 4 and we will be getting 2 jumps in the space of a year.

-edit- found a link testing a PCIe4 SSD. 4Gb's sequential read, 4.2 write going up to 4.8/4.4 with faster memory :eek:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-pcie-4.0-phison-nvme,38418.html

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Are there NVME SSD's on the market yet than can make use of PCIe4?

Seen some teased in reviews. I think they are out there.

Advertisement