Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Get a board that has USB bios flash

I can't as there are no itx boards with that ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

superneat wrote: »
    I can't as there are no itx boards with that ability.

Then you're probablt SOL unless it states on the website it's zen 2 ready.

Maybe if you're buying from OCUK or CCL or something they'd do it if you phoned in your order?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Might have to go that route, I could go x570 but it's hard to justify paying more for a x570 board then the CPU itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Do AMD still send out a boot kit to you. I remember when the 2000 series was released they done so. That is they sent out a CPU for you to update bios and you sent it back.

Just google AMD boot kit 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

'Magic wrote:
    =);110640677']I see some of ye ordered 3700x from amazon uk but I'm getting this msg: This item does not ship to Ireland. Any other ryzen3000 available except 3700x

I see the same, they wont even ship to Northern Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If all of the x570 mobos require active cooling of the chipset how are the x470 boards getting away without it? Seems like an unnecessary extra extra likely to fail in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

.G. wrote: »
    If all of the x570 mobos require active cooling of the chipset how are the x470 boards getting away without it? Seems like an unnecessary extra extra likely to fail in the future.

X470 doesn't support pcie gen4 despite it potentially be capable of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So after reading more reviews, I've decided that I'm sticking to my i7-5820K for a while longer, as at 1440p the CPU choice is relatively academic.
    Plus it helps that I can get all 6 cores to 4.37GHz anyway.

Also I'm poor & can't afford the upgrade right now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

X470 doesn't support pcie gen4 despite it potentially be capable of doing so.

It's not capable of it. Look up all the extra components needed to support it on x570.

I am talking about from the chipset and not directly from the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I've my mind set on a 3700X now, although I won't be buying any time soon. I'll let availability improve first.

I'm leaning to just getting a B450 board now. I have a Ryzen 3 2200G already in my server so flashing isn't an issue.

Really don't like the idea of that fan, it's bringing me back to the days of the nForce 4 motherboards.

There's quite a lot of negative comments in this thread too regarding the chipset fans, although I'm sure bios improvements will address most of those issues.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cacne2/x570_chipset_fan_experience_thread/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Don't think anyone wants those high pitched prone to failure board fans back on their boards again.

Spending big on x570 isn't too appealing either just for PCIe4. We potentially have PCIe5 and DDR5 coming next year which will make them redundant in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Their really is no issue with the fan cooled chipsets on the x570s yet..you would have to max out all pcie lanes for the fan to kick in at full constant speed from what i have seen on reviews.
    Thats not to say in the next 12-24 months with the inclusion of new GPUs which will take advantage of more lanes and better ssd drives utilizing more lanes there might be a problem then.

It's not capable of it. Look up all the extra components needed to support it on x570.

I am talking about from the chipset and not directly from the CPU.

What I was reading it was down to signal on the traces and it was technically possible for it to work on very good quality X470 boards.

Just seen hardware unboxed's 3600 review. Not much in it vs the 3700X for gaming so mind made up. It'll be interesting to see the 3600X in terms of clocks and overclocking as there is no headroom at all on the 3600 it seems.

Just seen hardware unboxed's 3600 review. Not much in it vs the 3700X for gaming so mind made up. It'll be interesting to see the 3600X in terms of clocks and overclocking as there is no headroom at all on the 3600 it seems.

What have you got at the moment?

Just to add. If you buy one from Amazon you get 3 months free of Xbox Game Pass for PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Their really is no issue with the fan cooled chipsets on the x570s yet..you would have to max out all pcie lanes for the fan to kick in at full constant speed from what i have seen on reviews.
    Thats not to say in the next 12-24 months with the inclusion of new GPUs which will take advantage of more lanes and better ssd drives utilizing more lanes there might be a problem then.

In theory yes... however if you read the reddit thread I posted, there are people saying that isn't the case. Some are saying the GPU is blocking the fan, and it's loud as a result for example.

I'm sure all of these issues will be fixed via BIOS updates in the near future though.

What have you got at the moment?

4790K and slow RAM although it overclocks to 1866 with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Going to hold off and see if they release a better motherboard for reasonable cash.

Going to hold off and see if they release a better motherboard for reasonable cash.

B550 is Q4 I think. They'll likely be a copy paste of the B450.

Edit oh shoot thinks it's actually 2020 for B550.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

B550 is Q4 I think. They'll likely be a copy paste of the B450.

Edit oh shoot thinks it's actually 2020 for B550.

Wow 2020 is a long way out. I'm using a b450 mobo and can't knock it to be honest. Didn't see the need to spend a whack more on a 470.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

circadian wrote: »
    Wow 2020 is a long way out. I'm using a b450 mobo and can't knock it to be honest. Didn't see the need to spend a whack more on a 470.
    AFAIK
    Dual M.2 or multi-GPU/PCIe device setups benefit from the higher-end X chipsets.
    On B450, you have fewer PCIe lanes so dual-M2 will turn off some of your SATA ports.

What memory should I be looking at. Ideally I want some 3200 CL14 but it seems expensive. Can you up the voltage a bit on CL16 and run it at CL14? I see 3466 as the maximum on the mobos I'm looking at but they say 3466+ so do they support 3600 does anyone know? Looking at the B450 Tomahawk at the moment.

Edit: What do you reckon I should sell a 4790K, 16GB RAM (1333Mhz but OCs) and an Asus Z97-P for?

What memory should I be looking at. Ideally I want some 3200 CL14 but it seems expensive. Can you up the voltage a bit on CL16 and run it at CL14? I see 3466 as the maximum on the mobos I'm looking at but they say 3466+ so do they support 3600 does anyone know? Looking at the B450 Tomahawk at the moment.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GL6CLTT/?coliid=I344BZPTBGSRAB&colid=1XV2E29MPXDUN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Just pulled the trigger on a 3600 and B450.

Looking at this personally as I don't have a see through side panel:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GCWQ8VO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

And Enjoy :D

Actually, I'm running a 2600 with 3200mhz ram. Obviously out of the box the ram gets clocked down, does anyone know how to get the proper clock speeds?

Actually, I'm running a 2600 with 3200mhz ram. Obviously out of the box the ram gets clocked down, does anyone know how to get the proper clock speeds?

Enable XMP?

Enable XMP in the BIOS.

Looking at this personally as I don't have a see through side panel:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GCWQ8VO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

And Enjoy :D

Just make sure it's compatible on any board you might want.

• Advertisement

Enable XMP in the BIOS.

That simple? I don't think I looked at the bios beyond RAID in my hurry to get shooting stuff.

Advertisement