Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Availability with the usual sites one would buy from here looks good. It sort of makes me tempted to take the plunge now.

Has anyone here that ordered a Ryzen 3000 received it yet? What's the delivery time like?

z0oT wrote: »
    Availability with the usual sites one would buy from here looks good. It sort of makes me tempted to take the plunge now.

Has anyone here that ordered a Ryzen 3000 received it yet? What's the delivery time like?

Ordered mine on Tuesday from Amazon and it says it will be delivered next Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

See mine next Tuesday too :pac: but won't get up to collect it until Friday :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I ordered mine (3600) from OCUK on Wed with a 5700XT and set to be delivered tomorrow.

Rare that it takes longer than 2 days with OCUK. They offer a pretty great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PSU: anything above 500W Gold should do. Best value right now is Riotoro Enigma G2 650W Fully modular - £73 on CCL

Motherboard wise, you can pick up the X370 ASUS Crosshair VI Hero for ~120, or a MSI B450 motherboard with BIOS Flashback. Get DDR4-3200 CL16 at the minimum - crosscheck with QVL lists but a 16Gb kit should be less than £70.

Still unsure on X570 motherboards but once prices settle, the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) or ASUS Prime X570-P might be the best bet.
    I would check the reviews for the site alternate.co.uk before ordering from them. They seem very poor and I've seen a few people say its a scam site.
    That board seems suspicious low in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I ordered mine (3600) from OCUK on Wed with a 5700XT and set to be delivered tomorrow.

Rare that it takes longer than 2 days with OCUK. They offer a pretty great service.

I'd wait till drivers mature with the 5700XT before writing it off as bad.

I used to think why does it take a while for AMD to always get drivers up to par. Intel released a white paper recently for their employees and said they have more people working on their software division than AMD have total employees. Nvidia would be the same.

Who's writing the 5700XT off as bad though? The reference cooler isn't great but the base 5700XT card is solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

But why settle for a 2600 when the 3600 out performs it massively?

Why get a 570 when then 5700/5700xt outperforms it massively. Same logic. Price difference matters. If it's for gaming on a budget the extra cost is always better to put into the gpu.
    I'd wait till drivers mature with the 5700XT before writing it off as bad.

These cards are the best GPU's AMD have made since first gen GCN. The 5700xt is roughly on par with the 2070S. Loses some, wins some, ties some games but I have no doubt it will go convincingly ahead with a better cooler and drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

To be honest the more I read, the more I'm convinced about staying with 2600 for now. It looks and feels kinda rushed, mobo bios problems, random silicon lottery,etc.
    Whether it is Amd or 3rd party problem I would wait and see how things would evolve.
    I still think it is a great piece of hardware but after few problems with previous cpus You would think that Amd had it all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

On my 'backup' computer a Celeron G450 (Sandy Bridge). OMG it's slow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Surprised you went for a reference 5700xt and didn't wait for better 3rd party versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I ordered mine Monday. Posted from a shop in Brisbane to an address in Brisbane. The package is currently approx 1600km away in Melbourne and due for delivery next Wednesday. Thanks Australia post. You've done a fine job.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Has anyone here bought an X570 motherboard? Or is it all X470/B450/X370 that people have here?

Curious about hearing any impressions on the chipset fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

On my 'backup' computer a Celeron G450 (Sandy Bridge). OMG it's slow!

That's because its a cut down celeron, I am still running a Sandy Bridge either 2600k or 2700k cant remember which, great little cpu and owes me nothing at this stage.

I have been on the fence for a while about upgrading my system, was waiting for the 3000 series chips to come out to decided. I have to admit I am kinda disappointed with amd's single threaded performance with the latest chips, don't get me wrong the multi threaded performance is a huge leap but would have liked to see some higher single core boost clock speeds.

The fact that the highest boost clock speeds are on the most expensive chips smells of amd trying to push people into higher priced / more cores than is really needed for most people so they can make more money. Now I know they are binning the chips and keeping the best for the higher chips I just think they purposely did not release a 6C/12T chip with a high single core max boost as it would cut into their profits.

Think the 6C part lower boost is just down to silicon quality.

Got my new build from OCUK and they forgot to include the ****ing RAM. Ugh. :mad:

Probably the first time ever I don't have any spare either.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Thats a real bummer terrorfirmer...
    few days for replacements to ship?

Bummer alright. Look on the bright side. You'll get loads of extra bags of Haribo to make up for the inconvenience.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Got my new build from OCUK and they forgot to include the ****ing RAM. Ugh. :mad:

Probably the first time ever I don't have any spare either.

Murphys law cos you praised them on the last page:D

What board did you go for?

• Advertisement

B450M Mortar. Got some spare RAM sorted and the board has a flashback function so updating bios was pretty painless.

Ryzen is behaving oddly though. High idle voltages, cores reving for no real reason, temps quite poor. Inclined to think the beta bios is at fault.

Also experiencing regular sharp FPS drops in games (from 120 to 30), though I don't have time right now to look into it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Polar101

B450M Mortar. Got some spare RAM sorted and the board has a flashback function so updating bios was pretty painless.

Got same board but my CPU hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't done the flash yet. Which BIOS version did you use? They seem to have v18 out today.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR

I just updated to that, but I still have the same problem. The CPU seems to be constantly running at high voltage (1.41) even when idling or doing very little, which means temps are bad. I'm idling at 40c on a Wraith Prism.

Quite a lot of people with same voltage issue on different boards too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Got the latest visual studio compiler update today which includes a significant ryzen specific performance big fix. I reckon a portion of intels current performance strength is down to years of compiler optimisation targeting Intel and that amd is likely to benefit far more from chip specific software optimisation going forward as it gains market share.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Terror, Reddit post earlier suggested moving off Ryzen power plan to the regular Windows balanced one. Might be worth a look. Same guy also seemed to think Corsair's iCUE was at fault as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Wouldnt surprise me,that iCue software is buggy as fook.

Was watching a Buildzoid video where he was undervolting and introducing Vdroop to actually allow higher boosts and lower idle voltagte. Rhis was on a 2700.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Terror, Reddit post earlier suggested moving off Ryzen power plan to the regular Windows balanced one. Might be worth a look. Same guy also seemed to think Corsair's iCUE was at fault as well.

Yeah, I've tried both, doesn't really matter what I do to be honest.

I see AMD are blaming the 'observer effect' saying it's monitoring software instructing cores to wake-up/boost, but that's BS in my opinion.

Before I open any monitoring app I can tell something is off as the Wraith Prism (not the quietest cooler going) starts ramping up periodically even idling on Windows desktop.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Might be of some assistance

Ah see you're calling BS, well at least people can see what you're calling BS on :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Yeah, I've tried both, doesn't really matter what I do to be honest.

I see AMD are blaming the 'observer effect' saying it's monitoring software instructing cores to wake-up/boost, but that's BS in my opinion.

Before I open any monitoring app I can tell something is off as the Wraith Prism (not the quietest cooler going) starts ramping up periodically even idling on Windows desktop.

This sounds awfully like a poor contact with the heat sink to me.

Advertisement