Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BloodBath wrote: »
    Are there NVME SSD's on the market yet than can make use of PCIe4?

I know of a Gigabyte one with a copper heat sink. OC3D done testing of it on X570 and also X470. I'm only watching the video now so I do not know the performance difference yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Updated my last post with a link to a test. I'll link it again in case you missed it.

Found a link testing a PCIe4 SSD. 4Gb's sequential read, 4.2 write going up to 4.8/4.4 with faster memory. That's around 10 times faster than my current SATA SSD's.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ss...vme,38418.html

• Registered Users Posts: 53,927 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I currently have a Aorus X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING and thinking of getting the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

idk should I get a new mobo or will the Aorus be sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Headshot wrote: »
    I currently have a Aorus X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING and thinking of getting the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

idk should I get a new mobo or will the Aorus be sufficient?

It would be sufficient if it was the Ryzen 7 3700X but those 12 cores might push it as it was never a high end X470 board. You could sell the board to off set the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Gonna go the 3600 route and retain my H100i V2 just ordered the bracket. For the Tomahawk given the info above I take it the BIOS can be flashed with a USB key - I wont need a Zen+ processor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Which of the new Zen processors is the sweet spot for gaming?

Have the upgrade itch........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Has anyone seen the Gigabyte X570 Aorus extreme in stock anywhere? Looking to order it but most places don't have it.
    Novatech have it on order for 770 sterling and mindfactory have it due in on the 10th for 780 euro. So far would make sense to try mindfactory if no where else is in stock but would have to tell the missus I'm buying it then as she would help me with the translation to buy it (She's German). The less expensive pc purchases I make she see's the better :pac:

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Which of the new Zen processors is the sweet spot for gaming?

Have the upgrade itch........

Personally I reckon the 3600 with a (compatible) B450 motherboard. The 3700X and an X570 board are a massive jump in price especially if like me you have to buy the RAM too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Personally I reckon the 3600 with a (compatible) B450 motherboard. The 3700X and an X570 board are a massive jump in price especially if like me you have to buy the RAM too.

Can a 3700x be paired with a b450? I thought it could. If so it reduces the price difference considerably.

Can a 3700x be paired with a b450? I thought it could. If so it reduces the price difference considerably.

Yes it can once the BIOS is updated.

• Advertisement

I have a 8600k OC'd to 4.7ghz. Is there any point going the 3600 route or am i just wasting my time? I like shiny :D

I have a 8600k OC'd to 4.7ghz. Is there any point going the 3600 route or am i just wasting my time? I like shiny :D

3600 is just behind the 9600K for gaming beats it for productivity.

An 8600k though? I purely use the machine for gaming.

Nevermind. Just read that the 9600k is more or less the same as the 8600k but soldered.

Still near €150 in the difference. Which is quite a bit at that price point.

An 8600k though? I purely use the machine for gaming.

Nevermind. Just read that the 9600k is more or less the same as the 8600k but soldered.

Aren't the 8600K and 9600K almost identical apart from the 9600K clocks higher?

3600 will probably have more longevity though as it has SMT. Also it may have better frame time consistency now. Pretty much a side grade IMHO.

Aren't the 8600K and 9600K almost identical apart from the 9600K clocks higher?

Yea. You're right. Think i'll hold off for a while.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Still near €150 in the difference. Which is quite a bit at that price point.

I didn't realise it was that much in the difference. It's a big jump in price alright.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have a 6800k that doesn't really show any signs of slowing down but my upgrading itch needs scratching. Think I will wait for more mini atx options as I would like to downsize my pc in the next upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 53,927 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It would be sufficient if it was the Ryzen 7 3700X but those 12 cores might push it as it was never a high end X470 board. You could sell the board to off set the cost.

I've been reading up on this and found a very helpful link

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-3900x-3700x-tested-on-x470/

I think I might be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wow, AMD delivers in a big way, first time since X2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Bit worried about the PCIE 4 boards needing a fan for cooling. I might hold off and see if a passive solution comes.

Where do you guys buy your parts these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Bit worried about the PCIE 4 boards needing a fan for cooling. I might hold off and see if a passive solution comes.

It shouldn't be a problem unless you're hammering the PCI lanes. Most of them only spin up when loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, let's see how this goes. Ordered a 3700x and a MSI B450M Mortar from Amazon - hopefully the BIOS flashback thingy works. X570 prices are crazy, and I have a mATX case as well, high-end AMD doesn't seem to like mATX too much. 410 pounds for the lot which is a bit cheaper than getting an i7-9700k, cooler and motherboard. i7-9700 non-K was an option, but it seems Intel only made about two of them.

My last AMD CPU was a X2 4600 I think, been a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I see a 3600x in my near future. My 3570k served me well, the 3770k cheapo upgrade I got recently has served me better but it's time to modernise I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

think gigabyte have an aorus x570 board with passive pcie4 cooling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Screw it, 10% off ebay. Pulled trigger on 3600x, msi tomohawk b450 and 16gb ram. $654 Australian dollary doos. That's me done for some time now or else my missus will disown me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Exciting stuff! I'm tempted to go from a 1600 & b350 to the new platform. Would I need to upgrade to a b450 board to get the most out of the new CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

jebidiah wrote: »
    Exciting stuff! I'm tempted to go from a 1600 & b350 to the new platform. Would I need to upgrade to a b450 board to get the most out of the new CPU?

I'd avoid B350, they just didn't have any good motherboards in general & the value isn't there compared to X370/B450.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

jebidiah wrote: »

Check your manufacturer website for the board and see if they have a new bios to support Zen 2 CPUs. If they do you'd be fine using it for a 3600/x or even 3700x for the time being. If you're looking at going for a big overclock down the line you could always ways upgrade that later but it's not really necessary right now.

I wouldn't buy a b350 new right now, but I also wouldn't brother upgrading if I had one and wasn't going for one of the higher end Zen 2 chips or looking at a massive overclock.

You'll be grand with your current bored, people are obsessed with vram and **** and to be honest, it makes feck all difference for 99.99999% of consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Check your manufacturer website for the board and see if they have a new bios to support Zen 2 CPUs. If they do you'd be fine using it for a 3600/x or even 3700x for the time being. If you're looking at going for a big overclock down the line you could always ways upgrade that later but it's not really necessary right now.

I wouldn't buy a b350 new right now, but I also wouldn't brother upgrading if I had one and wasn't going for one of the higher end Zen 2 chips or looking at a massive overclock.

You'll be grand with your current bored, people are obsessed with vram and **** and to be honest, it makes feck all difference for 99.99999% of consumers.

Good point. I've been running my 1600 OC'd to 3.8GHz since I got it with no problems to VRM temps. Board is a Gigabyte B350 m gaming 3 which seems to be supported (bios download available with "3rd Gen AMD Ryzen CPU full support").

Although it might be easier to sell board and chip as a bundle and upgrade from there.

Advertisement