Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Are we going to be able to buy these boards on the 7th or am I wrong? Strange that cant see prices yet then. I think I will buy the X570 AORUS XTREME on release and hold it so my system will be ready to drop in the 3950x :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

z0oT wrote: »
    A 3700X and an ITX board will be my next setup I think. At 65W it should be a much better CPU for an ITX system than my current 6700k. X570, B550 or X470 is the only thing I'm wondering about.

I would ideally like the PCIe 4.0 speeds on the lanes connected to the CPU at least. My system will be a single M.2 and a single SATA SSD so the lanes on the chipset wouldn't worry me as long as I've got a single SATA 3 port which all boards have.
    B450 should suit you fine, I recommend the MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC - most sources agree it's probably the best mini-ITX board in terms of build quality, despite being among the cheapest B450 boards (£115-120).

Personally I'm probably gonna need X470 or X570 as I want dual M.2 drives - might change my mind as it gets closer to buying time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

2080 super for 745 euros..same price as a 2080 with after market cooling...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    2080 super for 745 euros..same price as a 2080 with after market cooling...

AMD are making a 2080 Super now? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I wish..sorry i only just realised what thread i was in...feel free to move/remove it mods

• Advertisement

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-super/

Strangely, no reviews yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

There are rumours AMD might have two high-end Navi cards in the wings so Nvidia is probably just spacing out the release of the Super versions of the 2080 and 2080Ti.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/07/05/amd-nasty-surprise-for-nvidia-super-radeon-rx-5700-navi-price-drops/#2d02ca5c5dc2

", two sources have told prominent leaker VideoCardz that the Navi RX 5700 Series will receive these last-minute price adjustments:

Radeon RX 5700XT: $399
    Radeon RX 5700: $349
    For those of you paying close attention at home, the alleged launch pricing now goes head-to-head with Nvidia's RTX 2060 ($349) and RTX Super ($399) price tags."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

will56 wrote: »
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/07/05/amd-nasty-surprise-for-nvidia-super-radeon-rx-5700-navi-price-drops/#2d02ca5c5dc2

", two sources have told prominent leaker VideoCardz that the Navi RX 5700 Series will receive these last-minute price adjustments:

Radeon RX 5700XT: $399
    Radeon RX 5700: $349
    For those of you paying close attention at home, the alleged launch pricing now goes head-to-head with Nvidia's RTX 2060 ($349) and RTX Super ($399) price tags."

Smaller chips, smaller node. They might just decide to make no profit on them to tug at Nvidias bottom line, which has taken a serious hit recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Let the price war begin!

Got some leaked benchmarks as well.

AMD-Radeon-RX-5700-Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-740x620.png

AMD-Radeon-RX-5700-Far-Cry-5-706x740.png

AMD-Radeon-RX-5700-Wolfenstein-II-740x698.png

• Advertisement

Zen review from PCGH was accidentally published early
    https://imgur.com/a/YkoOCgM#Els9aDX

verdict: buying 3700X.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm hoping it keeps up pace on 1440p tests. But initial benchmarks seem positive

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Zen review from PCGH was accidentally published early
    https://imgur.com/a/YkoOCgM#Els9aDX

verdict: buying 3700X.
    I'll be getting a 3700X aswell. 8C/16T with high clocks in just 65W will make for such a killer ITX system for me. One hell of an upgrade from a 6700k.

Any word on when the NDA lifts and the actual reviews will be online? I can't remember a major launch being scheduled for a Sunday before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

z0oT wrote: »

Any word on when the NDA lifts and the actual reviews will be online? I can't remember a major launch being scheduled for a Sunday before.

Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah, he meant time. ;)

1pm GMT I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

I can't tell if that price drop was an anticipated move knowing Nvidia would strike back at the new Navi cards, it looks like AMD want to start a price war at the low end/middle markets. I'd imagine they have the funding to sustain a prolonged low margin war since their CPU division are doing well and the fact they have the next gen consoles tied up again.

This could get interesting since they're smashing Intel if those benchmarks are anything close to reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm not sure it's entirely true to say they have the funding, Nvidia are an incomparably healthier company though AMD is doing better now then it was in recent years, they were in dire straits two or three years ago.

Nvidia are the ones that could sustain it for far longer if anything really. Be interesting to see their general response though. Unless you're a 144hz gamer or have a very specific requirement for one programme, I can't see why anyone would chose Intel at a consumer level for either gaming or productivity.

Even now, prices drops on the 2600 are insane. Can be had for £118 now. Budget CPU's always came with some form of caveat in the past, whether or was lack of cores, poor longevity, or whatever.

Looking forward to seeing the final prices. It seems there will be a major price gap between 2600 + 3600 and their X variants, so in most cases the former would make more sense as you could afford a better GPU.

Which X570 board for a 3700X are we thinking or is it too early to know?

Too early to tell. I'll probably be going ASrock though. Never getting an Asus board again.

There's a new brand I've never seen before as well. Colorful.

VRMs on the Gigabyte boards are meant to be good, even on the lower end.

• Advertisement

Why not ASUS, out of curiosity?

Might go Gigabyte myself (first time since X58), because VRM and lots of USB ports.

I had a 3570k with a cheap Asrock board. The Pro4 I think. Great board with a fast bios, nice clear menu.

Changed to a 3770k a couple of years back with a high end Asus board. The BIOS is so slow even with ultra fast boot enabled. Literally doubled my boot times from the ASrock board.

Generally the Asrock boards have more/better features at their price point than Asus as well.

Interesting. I've had pretty good experiences with both (3570K/ASR Pro4, 4790K/ASUS-A). Both low-end, both about the same all-round, though you're right; the boot times are a little longer with the ASUS. At the time, they were the only ones offering BIOS-level PWM fan curves.

This board is the Asus Maximus V formula. I'm probably exaggerating the boot times but it just feels slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

I used only Asrock for last few builds, mid and high-end. Can't say a bad word. Currently rocking X470 Taichi, i'm a happy panda, maybe just the slow boot times with loads usb connected can be a con of this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Corolla1990

I'd go with Gigabyte. Is there any place listing boards and CPU for pre-order as it would be nice to see the price. Or will places wait till tomorrow to list them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Even now, prices drops on the 2600 are insane. Can be had for £118 now.

I went looking to find a RTX 2600 for 118 after seeing that.....

Yeah I'm still unsure on mobo myself.

My last 2 motherboards (Intel B85 & X99) have been Gigabyte & there's nothing wrong with them per-se, but I'm seeing great deals on X370 & X470 Asus boards now (Prime & Crosshair VI).
    Decisions, decisions...

Giving a bit away on what I'm planning for my next build here, but one big factor for me will be a board that someone makes a chipset block for.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Giving a bit away on what I'm planning for my next build here, but one big factor for me will be a board that someone makes a chipset block for.

MSI chipset fans are user-controllable.

Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme has no chipset fan

And there's always X470.

Advertisement