Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Not a chance.
    Let them squirm in court and take the chance. They are criminals breaking the law, they should be treated as such. Don't like it then time to sell up and stop being a rogue landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭3DataModem

machalla wrote: »
    That seems to be quite a variation in treatment of delinquent tenants and delinquent property owners based on that.

If we're not careful we'll end of in a situation where neither the government nor private sector want to build enough rentable properties to keep up with demand.

Oh, wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Let them squirm in court and take the chance. They are criminals breaking the law, they should be treated as such. Don't like it then time to sell up and stop being a rogue landlord.

Hows that going for the rental market?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

6 months in prison and potentially €5,000 in fines for running a short term let property without planning permission.

0 months in prison and €0 cost for non payment of rent over a sustained period.

That seems to be quite a variation in treatment of delinquent tenants and delinquent property owners based on that.

Agreed. The landlord that runs her business well is against the wall when tenants dont want to pay. But rent out a property on short term lease and your in court faster than an anti landlord Irish indepedant printing press.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Constantly short term letting your property means you’re no longer a landlord. You’re an unlicensed hotelier.

• Advertisement

6 months in prison and potentially €5,000 in fines for running a short term let property without planning permission.

Rogue landlords have harmed this country and it's people enough. They had a good run. Even Fine Gael the landlord party have had enough of their activities. The gig is up time to enjoy their ill gotten gains and quit while their ahead. Like drug dealers, the greed of the Irish landlord will be their undoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Rogue landlords have harmed this country and it's people enough. They had a good run. Even Fine Gael the landlord party have had enough of their activities. The gig is up time to enjoy their ill gotten gains and quit while their ahead. Like drug dealers, the greed of the Irish landlord will be their undoing.

At the risk of feeding you, if LLs quit, in your opinion who will provide the properties to rent? Most owners who register with Airbnb do so for higher profits, but also significantly, because they no longer want to rent to tenants.

Dav010 wrote: »
    At the risk of feeding you, if LLs quit, in your opinion who will provide the properties to rent?

Professional LL's. You'll have all the choice you want. Share a kitchen with 42 people for €1500 a month or rent an apartment for €500 or more a week.

Hows that going for the rental market?
    Eoghan Murphy has made the decision, that the AirBnB trickery is now illegal and coming to an end. I'm sure the gombeen landlords will now be looking into their next crooked scheme and how they can bend the rules.

This is why they are seen with contempt by ordinary people and the young people of Ireland. Profiting off the misery of the youth of Ireland is not something I would engage myself. It was enough that their generation had to bankrupt the country and saddle the youth with a mountain of debt. Now they must take it all until theres nothing left. Shame on them.

Eoghan Murphy has made the decision, that the AirBnB trickery is now illegal and coming to an end. I'm sure the gombeen landlords will now be looking into their next crooked scheme and how they can bend the rules.

This is why they are seen with contempt by ordinary people and the young people of Ireland. Profiting off the misery of the youth of Ireland is not something I would engage myself. It was enough that their generation had to bankrupt the country and saddle the youth with a mountain of debt. Now they must take it all until theres nothing left. Shame on them.

Why do you think so many are wanting to bend the rules given rents have never been higher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Why should they care? They are operating a business to make money not a charity to house people.

Nonsense like “vile greed”’is just that, nonsense. They are running a business to better their lot same as any business owner does but for some unknown reason they are treated totally different by some people like yourself.

This is why I support limiting and in some cases banning Airbnb particularly where housing shortages are at their worst.
    We can't rely on people to act on their own initiative so sometimes it's up to the powers that be to look after the interests of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Doesnt make much sence. So the counter arguement is tenants are all social deliquents who damage properry and dont pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if anyone for one second thinks this will end in a prison sentence for anyone caught less than 3 times doing this then youre living in a fantasy world. Even then id go as far as to say that perhaps 1 person in my lifetime will go to prison for this and that will be over a continued refusal to pay the fine.

And that person will probably rent out their PPR on airbnb for the 6 months theyre inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

You are hilarious. Obviously enjoy getting a rise out of folks. The rest of you, just chill, cant you see he is just taking the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m sure unscrupulous landlords won’t be long at finding a way aro7nd the law

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thankfully the state has now made these activities illegal. I do hope dearly these rogue landlords see the inside of Mountjoy. Their vile greed is a stain on this great country.
    Eh, no. The government has quite happily let the LL's with the ball for all social tenants but with very little protection.
    Jamsiek wrote: »
    This is why I support limiting and in some cases banning Airbnb particularly where housing shortages are at their worst.
    We can't rely on people to act on their own initiative so sometimes it's up to the powers that be to look after the interests of the public.
    It's because of "powers" that LL's are leaving the market in their droves.
    Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m sure unscrupulous landlords won’t be long at finding a way aro7nd the law
    Such as not letting their houses and ignoring any vacant property tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

GGTrek, there is no need to use the deliberately inflammatory/trolling labels for other posters or groups of posters whether they align politically to the left or right of you. It adds absolutely nothing to the discussion.

You will get no further warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

TSQ wrote: »
    Well, at least most of the ex-Airbnb units going back into short term rental will be of a high quality of decor and fit-out.
    If they've been "off" the market for X amount of years, I wonder will this then mean that they can start letting them out at whatever the funk price they want the new market price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

The poor Airbnb hosts :(

the_syco wrote: »
    It's because of "powers" that LL's are leaving the market in their droves.
    The market will still be there anyway and the cost of buying to live will become more affordable as a result.
    Leaving houses vacant with no income is not something I would do.
    Also the legal ramifications of ignoring property taxes are not worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Leaving houses vacant with no income is not something I would do.
    Also the legal ramifications are not worth it.

What are the legal ramifications?

Ignoring vacant property tax, not worth it IMO

What vacant property tax?

Ignoring property taxes, not worth the risk

Yes, but what are the legal ramifications?

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Yes, but what are the legal ramifications?

Ask a judge

Ask a judge

You said there are legal ramifications, whther you are a judge or not. What are you talking about?

You said there are legal ramifications, whther you are a judge or not. What are you talking about?

Tax evasion is illegal. Do you not know that?

Tax evasion is illegal. Do you not know that?

How does having a vacant property amount to tax evasion? If not, what is the relevance?

• Advertisement

How does having a vacant property amount to tax evasion? If not, what is the relevance?

Looks like you need things spelled out for you so here goes...
    This is the comment I was replying to. I wasn't referring to a vacant property.

Advertisement