Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'd kkv still around anyone know ?

Heard there was an accident recently on a motorway where a car parked in the hard shoulder, driver asleep on drivers seat was hit by a truck.

Car went up in flames too, driver killed, very sad accident and may the person rest in peace

But on hearing it the first thing I thought of was kkv and a while back him mentioning he had done just that before and didn't really see the danger ..

Is that what happened near Gorey on M11....

I see cars and trucks constantly drift into the hard shoulder not a place to be...

Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Had a peak at my trip computer today when I arrived at work, something I never really do.

IMG-20190626-094644-1.jpg

Pretty surprised/happy with that. I do miss the sound of a petrol but would be pretty hard to justify jumping back into any sort of petrol just for the sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Is that averaged or just on one trip? I had my heart set on a 330d estate when we return from the ME but a CLS shooting brake is on my mind now. MPG could swing it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭carsfan2

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Had a peak at my trip computer today when I arrived at work, something I never really do.

IMG-20190626-094644-1.jpg

Pretty surprised/happy with that. I do miss the sound of a petrol but would be pretty hard to justify jumping back into any sort of petrol just for the sound of it.

Guessing that’s eco pro mode and gentle driving.
    I found on a longer journey my 330d would do same as 20d mpg if you took it gently.
    Very hard to do with the huge torque on offer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

That's just the one trip, 55km. Bit of a mixture of driving, taking it handy mostly on national roads 80-100kph. Think the long term is low 40s, as I normally drive it a bit harder.

• Advertisement

The likes of Cork to Kinsale return (80kph limit, no hills etc) the Sorento returns 50mpg........ normal average is 37mpg....... 40% motorway, 25% 100kmph zone, 25% 80kph zones and the rest urban pootling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

vintagevrs wrote: »
    That's just the one trip, 55km. Bit of a mixture of driving, taking it handy mostly on national roads 80-100kph. Think the long term is low 40s, as I normally drive it a bit harder.

Our 420d does about 60mpg in similar driving. The 116d could easily hit the 60s or even low 70s in eco pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

OSI wrote: »
    I just love that a single mediocre tyre on my family wagon costs more than a pair of high performance tyres did on my GTI. :rolleyes:

How ? Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Long term between her 20d and my 30d are pretty much identical and her spin to works twice mine. Using the extra poke and traffic really kill the 30ds economy but compared to the 190 superb it replaced it's probably less than 10% more in fuel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

tossy wrote: »
    How ? Why ?
    Dimensions, most likely.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Dimensions, most likely.

I'm going to say main dealer pricing too.

255/45/19 seems to be a somewhat difficult to obtain size. Tried numerous retailers and all would have to order in, and all were quoting similar prices to main dealer.

Didn't realise they were 19's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

255/45/19 seems to be a somewhat difficult to obtain size. Tried numerous retailers and all would have to order in, and all were quoting similar prices to main dealer.

If you can drop to 245/45 they're much more readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Looking at a 2011 or 12 Mazda 6? Diesel, 2.2. 140hp (I think). Look to be a decent solid car. Any opinions please......

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Looking at a 2011 or 12 Mazda 6? Diesel, 2.2. 140hp (I think). Look to be a decent solid car. Any opinions please......

Move on, lovely cars but the engines reliability is questionable. Might be absolutely fine but I'd avoid, particularly if you're doing small miles or anything as this just makes the problem worse.

Google Mazda 6 oil dilution and you'll see.

I had an 11 reg one and had it happen even though the car was mainly doing 200+ km spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are grand if you like engines made of chocolate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 parttimeadult

rafter21 wrote: »
    No idea tbh. I know **** all about cars. Would be going over to the UK on my own to purchase and would have to take the dealers word. Two different dealers a long way apart so I'd have to pick one before I leave and go with it.

These are the two cars:

The second one, the 2014 lower mileage one. Looks like the sharper car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Salesman ‘what car are you looking to trade in ?’
    Me ‘Audi A4 1.4tfsi S-line’
    Salesman ‘tfsi like as in petrol’
    Me ‘yes petrol engine’
    Salesman ‘you serious I didn’t realise you could even get the A4 with a petrol engine’

I can’t wait to see what trade in price he offers me on that :pac:

Actually forgot how time consuming searching for a new car. As much as I like cars I don’t enjoy the buying them bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Did anything come out of the offer on the other yoke a few days ago?

• Advertisement

Did anything come out of the offer on the other yoke a few days ago?

No well they wouldn’t budge at all it was a Leon Cupra. Tbh I am thinking the Golf GTI is a far better all round car better spec better interior. It has good performance when you want it but can just be driven normally when wanted.

The Cupra is the next step it just wants to be driven on all the time and while the bangs and pops from the exhaust are cool when your in the mood to drive it hard not sure they would be great everyday.

Unfortunately nothing is simple you can’t just buy a golf GTI brand new and get it next week which I was possibly naively thinking that there would be 10 of them sitting in Dublin ready to go which isn’t the case. Not sure why I always assumed the likes of VW Ireland kept a decent stock of cars in Ireland for those that didn’t want to go the factory order route.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Salesman ‘what car are you looking to trade in ?’
    Me ‘Audi A4 1.4tfsi S-line’
    Salesman ‘tfsi like as in petrol’
    Me ‘yes petrol engine’
    Salesman ‘you serious I didn’t realise you could even get the A4 with a petrol engine’

I can’t wait to see what trade in price he offers me on that :pac:

Actually forgot how time consuming searching for a new car. As much as I like cars I don’t enjoy the buying them bit.

Takes time CIP4. And showing up in person - no point otherwise. In your situation pick the cars you are interested and play the dealers off against each other. Saw the comments in the GTI thread - don't look new. Find the best demo and work from there.

On the GTI/Cupra thing - I'd have the Cupra. Had a non-PP GTI across Austria and Italy. It's great, needs the PP dif but the farts and pops off the Cupra add to the fun, the interior is as well screwed together bar some materials but the main thing is the Cupra was the car that egged you on more. And it had the brakes and dif. I prefer dsg but it's personal preference, ACC and all that I don't feel comfortable with but again that's just personal.

Takes time CIP4. And showing up in person - no point otherwise. In your situation pick the cars you are interested and play the dealers off against each other. Saw the comments in the GTI thread - don't look new. Find the best demo and work from there.

I know what your saying but some of the Demos are making within 1-2k of the price of a brand new ones even factoring in the extras I’d rather order it and wait to get something no one else has driven with my own county plate and all that. I have always been a strong advocate of buying demos but not at them levels of discount they are brutal.

I wouldn’t mind waiting the 12 weeks but it’s how real the 12 weeks is is an issue. Like getting it end of September would be grand but like the end of October is so close to January it feels like a waste. I am probably thinking of it wrong. Hopefully get more info off some of the dealers tomorrow.

The other option would be drop back to something maybe around 181 to feel like your getting some discount but even then the prices are not a million miles of new.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

No well they wouldn’t budge at all it was a Leon Cupra. Tbh I am thinking the Golf GTI is a far better all round car better spec better interior. It has good performance when you want it but can just be driven normally when wanted.

The Cupra is the next step it just wants to be driven on all the time and while the bangs and pops from the exhaust are cool when your in the mood to drive it hard not sure they would be great everyday.

Unfortunately nothing is simple you can’t just buy a golf GTI brand new and get it next week which I was possibly naively thinking that there would be 10 of them sitting in Dublin ready to go which isn’t the case. Not sure why I always assumed the likes of VW Ireland kept a decent stock of cars in Ireland for those that didn’t want to go the factory order route.

The Mk7 GTI is a gorgeous car. I haven't driven either so obviously my opinion counts for nothing but I think they are so much more special than the Golf R even if the R is quicker. There seems to be a load of Rs on Donedeal and the likes and very few GTIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

The Mk7 GTI is a gorgeous car. I haven't driven either so obviously my opinion counts for nothing but I think they are so much more special than the Golf R even if the R is quicker. There seems to be a load of Rs on Donedeal and the likes and very few GTIs.

Pretty much how I felt after I drove an R a couple of months. Crazy mad experience driving it but I immediately felt that the GTi was still better looking when I got back out of it.

I'm considering one myself after Xmas if this new job I'm meant to be starting works out but still torn between other cars of similar nature so reading CIPs posts in the other thread the last few days has me excited :p , though I'll be looking towards the early MK7s. Leather is my main desire as I just can't take to the tartan cloth seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Quite surprised you were looking at the Leon after already having one previously. From having a few A4s I thought you would of been leaning more towards the VRS. :pac:

I'd like to think though that you'll be offered something decent for your current A4, just cos it's petrol shouldn't mean your offered something ridiculous. There is still a market for petrols today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I know what your saying but some of the Demos are making within 1-2k of the price of a brand new ones even factoring in the extras I’d rather order it and wait to get something no one else has driven with my own county plate and all that. I have always been a strong advocate of buying demos but not at them levels of discount they are brutal.

I wouldn’t mind waiting the 12 weeks but it’s how real the 12 weeks is is an issue. Like getting it end of September would be grand but like the end of October is so close to January it feels like a waste. I am probably thinking of it wrong. Hopefully get more info off some of the dealers tomorrow.

The other option would be drop back to something maybe around 181 to feel like your getting some discount but even then the prices are not a million miles of new.

The OCD in me would be holding out for 202 plate!

Have you thought about looking at an i30N?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Have you thought about looking at an i30N?

Sound off them is out of this world...

• Advertisement

Sound off them is out of this world...

Go take a drive in one, they're hoonigan fun :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement