Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

This happened to a friend of mine earlier - car just shot up in flames. Waiting to hear back whether he had the recall done or not. 2014 520d

eLlozg1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Just a quick VRT question for you boys and girls

If one was to import a 2008 car into Ireland, is the choice still there to tax it on engine size or emissions or do they decide for you ?

I don’t think that choice was ever there. If it was registered Jan-June 08 it’s cc, and c02 thereafter

• Registered Users Posts: 51,163 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It was. Irish cars first registered between Jan 1 2008 and June 30th 2008 were put on whichever system was lower afaik. I think with imports they automatically go on the co2 system these days.

Looking at the MOT history site that V70 only did 10,000 miles between March 2016 and February 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

bazz26 wrote: »
    Looking at the MOT history site that V70 only did 10,000 miles between March 2016 and February 2019.

Good find

Professionally clocked or just not used.... ? That's interesting none the less

Reading the discription he's standing on it saying 110000 warrented miles + full history

Have a look here yourself with the UK reg: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

The MOT advisories show mostly tyre conditions and if the same owner owned it during that time period then it could be genuine and just a case of not much driving done. I'd be checking into the service history which the garage mentions is fully documented to correlate with mileage.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have a look here yourself with the UK reg: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

The MOT advisories show mostly tyre conditions and if the same owner owned it during that time period then it could be genuine and just a case of not much driving done. I'd be checking into the service history which the garage mentions is fully documented to correlate with mileage.

I did see that indeed ! 2 owners from new but possibly the second owner kept the milage down well with the computer or geniune just didn't drive it.

But I imagine if they kept it down for MOT they would for service records too.

It's difficult to tell tbh. But I'm inclined to say it's legit because it hasn't done much in a few years and also the overall condition is very good but it is a risk !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Started car shopping hard to take some of the trade in offers though I thought I was being realistic in what my own car was worth but can’t even get close to that figure. It’s not even the money it’s more the principle of the fact they are completely low balling and would probably take it in give it a wash and throw it on the forecourt with 5k added onto the price.

Plus a lot of dealers seem to have this that’s the price take it or leave it attitude which I haven’t experienced before really.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Should’ve got a diesel, you’d be eaten alive for it :)

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »
    Started car shopping hard to take some of the trade in offers though I thought I was being realistic in what my own car was worth but can’t even get close to that figure. It’s not even the money it’s more the principle of the fact they are completely low balling ....

Trading in against what sort of stuff?

Augeo wrote: »
    Trading in against what sort of stuff?

Stuff with 300bhp is the main criteria :pac: turning 25 soon so have decided if I am changing the car I am properly changing it for something a little bit mad I wouldn’t normally pick. I have even ruled out the Golf GTI PP 245bhp as I think it might be too tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Stuff with 300bhp is the main criteria :pac: turning 25 soon so have decided if I am changing the car I am properly changing it for something a little bit mad I wouldn’t normally pick. I have even ruled out the Golf GTI PP 245bhp as I think it might be too tame.

I wish I could afford something like that. Anyone ever try to price insurance on a S2K for the laugh. Chill looking for 2k, madness.

Sorry to take over CIP here, which I think is mad dealers are being bastards about trade in value

But I'm about to pay for a flight to go see the last Volvo I linked

Is that mileage too suspect that I shouldn't or will I take a gamble on the car ?

Sorry to take over CIP here, which I think is mad dealers are being bastards about trade in value

But I'm about to pay for a flight to go see the last Volvo I linked

Is that mileage too suspect that I shouldn't or will I take a gamble on the car ?

Could you get them to send you on a scan of the service history before traveling or is there any other cars around that area you could line up to view that would reduce the risk of you coming home empty handed.

That cars looks straight enough but you can only tell so much from photos.

Could you get them to send you on a scan of the service history before traveling or is there any other cars around that area you could line up to view that would reduce the risk of you coming home empty handed.

That cars looks straight enough but you can only tell so much from photos.

Bit late at the moment for that because I really only have tomorrow to do this.

It looks straight and the garage seems to have good reviews on autotrader from people !

Sitting here with itchy fingers looking at an Aer lingus flight in the morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Bit late at the moment for that because I really only have tomorrow to do this.

It looks straight and the garage seems to have good reviews on autotrader from people !

Sitting here with itchy fingers looking at an Aer lingus flight in the morning !

MOT history shows tyres cracking as an issue which would suggest it has sat up for extended periods of time hence the low mileage. Could be worth a punt alright.

MOT history shows tyres cracking as an issue which would suggest it has sat up for extended periods of time hence the low mileage. Could be worth a punt alright.

Well that's that so

Booking flight......

Well that's that so

Booking flight......

I guess you'll want your VIDA DICE back so!

I guess you'll want your VIDA DICE back so!

Ooh, I think I might !

50 quid is it ? Ha

• Advertisement

Ooh, I think I might !

50 quid is it ? Ha

If you say so!

If you say so!

I'm a nice guy like that 😂

..... I have even ruled out the Golf GTI PP 245bhp as I think it might be too tame.

Indeed, fast but as you say tame.
    I'd a gti at a nav indicated 140mph several times a couple of weekends ago... You'd not be getting much kicks from one after a while. And they're just a golf too of course.
    I'd be a very very average pilot.... Even to me it was fun but not anyway mad.

I'd a gti at a nav indicated 140mph several times a couple of weekends ago... You'd not be getting much kicks from one after a while. And they're just a golf too of course.

I think it's great to have that sort of power in a car, but in this country it's just too risky to put the boot down,

I'm not even in my 30's and I've already gone past the speed side of it and am going for comfort.

But don't get me wrong, CIP4 is right to enjoy while they can !

I just can't believe main dealers are being such thriving hooers about it. I know a guy that traded in a 151 car recently, small petrol and only got 3K for it.

Going between the Leon Cupra, S3, Golf R so to be fair are all normal hatches but at the same time when you floor them you get stuck to the seat and get the ‘wow’ feeling a Golf GTI just isn’t going to quite give you. That level is kind of as far as I am willing to push it as they are still somewhat practical and reliable everyday cars. So kind of a mad car to be me but probably not to many others.

I think it's great to have that sort of power in a car, but in this country it's just too risky to put the boot down,

I'm not even in my 30's and I've already gone past the speed side of it and am going for comfort.

Yeah....i was in Germany :)

Going between the Leon Cupra, S3, Golf R so to be fair are all normal hatches but at the same time when you floor them you get stuck to the seat and get the ‘wow’ feeling a Golf GTI just isn’t going to quite give you. That level is kind of as far as I am willing to push it as they are still somewhat practical and reliable everyday cars. So kind of a mad car to be me but probably not to many others.

would you not go m3 or 335i even?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Started car shopping hard to take some of the trade in offers though I thought I was being realistic in what my own car was worth but can’t even get close to that figure. It’s not even the money it’s more the principle of the fact they are completely low balling and would probably take it in give it a wash and throw it on the forecourt with 5k added onto the price.

Plus a lot of dealers seem to have this that’s the price take it or leave it attitude which I haven’t experienced before really.

Sure it's only worth scrap value ;)

Quick one lads, engine temp sitting around

95-98c on the obd reader

Fans do come on and turn off closer to lower temp

Coolant not bubbling

Any thoughts ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What's the problem?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement