Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

What's the problem?

Would that be considered an issue for head gasket or is that fine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭carsfan2

CIP4 wrote: »
    Started car shopping hard to take some of the trade in offers though I thought I was being realistic in what my own car was worth but can’t even get close to that figure. It’s not even the money it’s more the principle of the fact they are completely low balling and would probably take it in give it a wash and throw it on the forecourt with 5k added onto the price.

Plus a lot of dealers seem to have this that’s the price take it or leave it attitude which I haven’t experienced before really.

Give us an idea of what you think your car is worth and what you’re being offered against what cars.
    As I said previously what dealers actually offer you is generally what it’s worth not the figure you have in your head. It’s painful process though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Anyone know what type of gearbox is the Fluence auto ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Anyone know what type of gearbox is the Fluence auto ?

Dual clutch on the diesels at least I think. Isn't that bad to drive for what it is tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mégane and fluence are actually a nice drive and comfortable....

Bit small for me but eating up the miles....

Had a tip yesterday where bumper, wing, full light smashed and tyre.....

This is now any car I've had longer then a month I've been in a crash apart from all the pick ups I had and 4x4 bar one....

Ugh more time taken to get it sorted.

Use to only keep a car a few weeks at most...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Passed 375,000km last night on the drive home :) Fantastic machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Would that be considered an issue for head gasket or is that fine ?

What car and engine have you got?

It's probably perfectly normal, many modern engines run hotter to try and improve fuel efficiency.

Map controlled thermostats are not new technology, my car is 16 years old and runs anywhere between 82 and 98 degrees depending on how it's driven (it will run cooler when the engine is under higher load so that more power can be extracted from the engine, it will run as high as 98 degrees under very gentle engine loads to improve fuel consumption since the power isn't needed, most of the time the coolant is in the low to mid 90s). Some BMW petrol engines are set to run as high as 109 degrees under light engine load.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Sure it's only worth scrap value ;)
    carsfan2 wrote: »
    Give us an idea of what you think your car is worth and what you’re being offered against what cars.
    As I said previously what dealers actually offer you is generally what it’s worth not the figure you have in your head. It’s painful process though.

So basically being offered about 20k for it on a trade in the lower end of what I would been happy to take for it is about 23k. To be fair I know just looking at that and not what kind of value the car your buying is, is a bit of an over simplification.

To be fair there is one dealer that has a car I am interested in that said they would ring around to see what’s the best they can do. I think what makes it difficult is the fact I still actually like the A4 and it’s a perfect car in great condition with no issues but equally I am in my 20s and now is the time to buy something a little crazy.

If I can’t get anymore than 20k for my own car I will keep it till the end of the year and then go searching again at least it will feel like I have gotten more value out of it by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys , the wife is thinking of buying a Renault captur low miles 2016. Are they a good motor? reliable.I know nothing about cars but do remember Renault having a bad name when I was a kid. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Hi guys , the wife is thinking of buying a Renault captur low miles 2016. Are they a good motor? reliable.I know nothing about cars but do remember Renault having a bad name when I was a kid. Thanks in advance

Yes quite a good car these days, bit on small side just higher so looks bigger....

I never thought I would say Renault are good but they are quite reliable and are a comfortable place to be....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

That day is gone Renault have really improved with regards reliability.
    Parents have had 3 since 2014 and do about 25k km each year and they always start stop and go.
    Engine isn't a rocket by any means but very economical.

Think they are based on the Clio so not huge, nice room in front and fit 2 in the rear only thing I notice is the road noise when you get up to 100 .

Take a look and test drive and just do the basics regarding service history etc and you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,163 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Renault Captur shares a lot with the Nissan Juke, thankfully not it's looks.

Warm and muggy weather due this week. Wait for the glut of threads/posts now from people with broken air con because they only switch it on in warm or muggy weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭carsfan2

CIP4 wrote: »
    So basically being offered about 20k for it on a trade in the lower end of what I would been happy to take for it is about 23k. To be fair I know just looking at that and not what kind of value the car your buying is, is a bit of an over simplification.

To be fair there is one dealer that has a car I am interested in that said they would ring around to see what’s the best they can do. I think what makes it difficult is the fact I still actually like the A4 and it’s a perfect car in great condition with no issues but equally I am in my 20s and now is the time to buy something a little crazy.

If I can’t get anymore than 20k for my own car I will keep it till the end of the year and then go searching again at least it will feel like I have gotten more value out of it by then.

My thoughts would be that you should first make up your mind as to what model of car you want and then seek the best deal for that car.
    Don’t go for something because you get a grand or two more for your own. In the grand scheme of things it won’t make a difference. If you settle for a car because you’re getting a great deal in it, chances are you will not be one hundred percent happy and will only be back looking to change it in a very short time and lose more money on it.

Focus on deciding what car you really want to buy. Then talk numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

In my 5 years of driving, this is my first ever time bringing a car for NCT.. Never had a car long enough to bring it for test :D

Next available date is in a months time so I have time to get bits done to the car. Two things with it though;
    1 - passenger side window doesn’t go down and
    2 - back wiper doesn’t work (never has in my ownership (audi a3 hatchback))

Would the car fail on either of the two? Any VW or Audi hatchbacks I’ve owned from 2004-2009 the back wiper never worked and when i did get them fixed, they broke again within a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Murt102 wrote: »
    In my 5 years of driving, this is my first ever time bringing a car for NCT.. Never had a car long enough to bring it for test :D

Next available date is in a months time so I have time to get bits done to the car. Two things with it though;

Would the car fail on either of the two? Any VW or Audi hatchbacks I’ve owned from 2004-2009 the back wiper never worked and when i did get them fixed, they broke again within a few weeks.

1 - Yes, it's a fail. However, it's a visual, so you call in when it's fixed. no need to pay 28 euro for retest.

Tester will issue disk when he/she see's that it's fixed!

2 - No, rear wiper doesn't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

job seeker wrote: »
    1 - Yes, it's a fail. However, it's a visual, so you call in when it's fixed. no need to pay 28 euro for retest.

Tester will issue disk when he/she see's that it's fixed!

2 - No, rear wiper doesn't matter

Cheers! I want to get the passenger window fixed anyways so i’ll get it done over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Passenger window does not need to open for the test , only the drivers window ...

Rear wiper is not tested .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

dkd21 wrote: »
    Passenger window does not need to open for the test , only the drivers window ...

Correct, passenger window not working is fine.

• Advertisement

Made an offer on a car today at a dealer. About 3k less than they wanted so not sure how they will take it. Don't want to give too much away unless sort out a deal on it. All I will say is its fairly quick and would be great fun to own. Rang the insurance company just to see and the premium rise wasn't too bad considering it would have a high enough loading Id imagine I must be getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Give us a hint. A continent and the driven wheels and let us guess it out!

Murt102 wrote: »

Won't fail on either.... Rear wiper isn't needed....

Driver window is important one.

Give us a hint. A continent and the driven wheels and let us guess it out!

300bhp (ps if you want to be technical about it) you should be able to guess it from there or at least have it fairly narrowed down.

Golf R or Leon Cupra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Golf R or S3

Best of luck with whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Gonna say s3

2 litre turbo VAG?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

dkd21 wrote: »

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Correct, passenger window not working is fine.

I stand corrected!

Interesting, though as I’ve seen both front windows being put down during ever test on my old car.. 99 Yaris!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 rafter21

Hi guys, currently looking at two Audi A5's. They're both identical spec. Black edition etc. Both almost the same price too.

One is 14 reg with 66k miles
    The other is 15 reg with 84k miles

If you had to buy one, which would you go for? The lower miles or the newer reg?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement