Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Antares35 wrote: »
    I had "friends" over from the States a while ago. They were stopping off in Ireland before travelling the rest of Europe. I thought it would be nice to allow them to stay as we've a spare room en suite. Save them on pricey hotel etc. So, that was grand. Got in a few bits and pieces to welcome them - few beers, some stuff for Irish breakfast, snacks etc. Picked them up from the airport and we planned to spend two days together. I had time off so took the opportunity to show then some nice scenic spots and traditional Irish venues for food, drink etc. Had to fill up the car. Fair few taxis around as we had drinks on both nights. Brought them back to the airport when they departed. They literally did not put their hands in their pockets once. Initially I thought it a bit odd but shrugged it off but by the end, I just couldn't believe them. No offer to even put a bit of petrol in the car. On the second night, they got home before us (there were five of us and partner and I had to wait for second taxi). When I got home, they had lashed into the wine etc. On the last night, we (4 of us including my partner) got a taxi home, and when we pulled up to the driveway I made a point of sitting after the meter was tallied and waited and waited... until it got really awkward and my partner paid. I juts couldn't believe them. On top of all that they moaned and groaned about wifi etc. and had the heating and hot water on constantly. Never again. Such stingebags. I didnt want payment from them but to not even pay their share of a taxi or meal/ drinks. I think our friendship has run it's course!

This seems to be a trend and the Germans are just as bad.

Biggest problems were you not actually saying anything or letting them get a meal or something.

It doesn't surprise me though and another thing American people love about here is they don't tip.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

another thing American people love about here is they don't tip.

I just don't get this.
    If we behaved in a similar manner in the US- we'd have bar staff and waiters chasing us out the door?
    Its good manners- and it tops up the wages for all the workers in the restaurant/bar (not just your server).
    How or why do they think its reasonable to stiff staff- when they wouldn't dream of doing so at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Biggest problems were you not actually saying anything or letting them get a meal or something.

It doesn't surprise me though and another thing American people love about here is they don't tip.

That was the funny thing - they were all gung ho about throwing down lavish tips! If someone had told me they would behave that way I would have assumed I would say something, but I found it harder in real life. In the end, I just won't be inviting them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

I just don't get this.
    If we behaved in a similar manner in the US- we'd have bar staff and waiters chasing us out the door?
    Its good manners- and it tops up the wages for all the workers in the restaurant/bar (not just your server).
    How or why do they think its reasonable to stiff staff- when they wouldn't dream of doing so at home?

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. As in, in America, wages are lower on the basis that tips are high. In Ireland, wages are higher as tips arent as big. Seems sensible to not tip as much as in USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I just don't get this.

Dream on if you think all restaurant managers put the nightly tips in big pot for all the staff to share. Especially when the tip is put on a debit/credit card. I have had staff tell me in several different outlets that they do not see those tips at all so I just don't bother as I never carry cash.

It is different here than than the US. Waiting staff in this country are paid at least min wage which is decent. I have no interest in letting bad paying restaurant owners off the hook or to be guilted into tipping.

I do not agree that it is good manners. We are happy to let delivery guy get paid less but do we tip him as he races around trying to delivery whatever rubbish bought online?

Be careful- in some countries it is deemed insulting to tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I had "friends" over from the States a while ago.

That really is the definition of stinge for me; Knowingly taking full advantage of people's generosity and hospitality. If it was a single night then there might be some leeway but over two days it was very deliberate. I'm sure there was no balancing offer either as in "If you're ever Stateside for a visit, look us up....".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think a factor which we may not realise in Ireland is that in a lot of countries when you have guests the custom is to treat the guest which includes taking them around etc and making sure they do not pay for anything. Eg I know from experience that the Indian/Asian community are like that. I have been asked on trips/boozy weekends away and when I was trying to pay for things I was told to 'Eff off'. In fact one guy took me aside to explain how they work and to stop it..I was their guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

valoren wrote: »
    That really is the definition of stinge for me; Knowingly taking full advantage of people's generosity and hospitality. If it was a single night then there might be some leeway but over two days it was very deliberate. I'm sure there was no balancing offer either as in "If you're ever Stateside for a visit, look us up....".

There was a kind of "we better say this as we depart" comment about us going over to them but I would have no interest to be honest. I couldn't behave in the same way if the situation was reversed. I'll chalk it up to experience and try to keep the faith that not everyone would take advantage of hospitality in the same way. if they get in touch again for coming over I will just say, "that's great, there's a nice Maldron down the road" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

I had "friends" over from the States a while ago.

You need to go over and visit & rinse them, only fair.

Oh jebus do I hate stingy people......

Even the offer to pay for a meal or a box of chocolate or some bottle of wine but no just arrive with nothing and end up leaving with more then you arrived with.....

Oh American people.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I had "friends" over from the States a while ago. They were stopping off in Ireland before travelling the rest of Europe. I thought it would be nice to allow them to stay as we've a spare room en suite. Save them on pricey hotel etc. So, that was grand. Got in a few bits and pieces to welcome them - few beers, some stuff for Irish breakfast, snacks etc. Picked them up from the airport and we planned to spend two days together. I had time off so took the opportunity to show then some nice scenic spots and traditional Irish venues for food, drink etc. Had to fill up the car. Fair few taxis around as we had drinks on both nights. Brought them back to the airport when they departed. They literally did not put their hands in their pockets once. Initially I thought it a bit odd but shrugged it off but by the end, I just couldn't believe them. No offer to even put a bit of petrol in the car. On the second night, they got home before us (there were five of us and partner and I had to wait for second taxi). When I got home, they had lashed into the wine etc. On the last night, we (4 of us including my partner) got a taxi home, and when we pulled up to the driveway I made a point of sitting after the meter was tallied and waited and waited... until it got really awkward and my partner paid. I juts couldn't believe them. On top of all that they moaned and groaned about wifi etc. and had the heating and hot water on constantly. Never again. Such stingebags. I didnt want payment from them but to not even pay their share of a taxi or meal/ drinks. I think our friendship has run it's course!

Book a return trip, take from for all you can and then never speak again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭fitzparker

. On top of all that they moaned and groaned about wifi etc. and had the heating and hot water on constantly. Never again.

If someone had the neck to touch my heating or hot water they would be booted out. there is a line, and the immersion is one of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

That reminds me (although the gent in question was Austrian not German - not a whole lot of difference!), my sister is on a school board which takes boarders as well as day pupils. The boarders are booted out of the school one weekend a month and for the two mid-term breaks so there are host families who get, I think, about €1,000 to take the boarder in during these times.

Being on the board, and always willing to make an extra few bob, the sister put her name down and got an Austrian kid. The parents dropped him to the house the first weekend before school. The kid's father brought up the subject of money (which is supposed to be paid direct rather than though the school), the sister, typically Irish, said something on the lines of "don't worry about that now".

He didn't, the subject never came up again and as the year slipped by, the sister never heard from the parents again and hadn't the heart to say anything to the kid (who was nice in fairness and he had made friends with her son). We are way too soft in this country, and too easily embarrassed when it comes to money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Fella I work with told me he was queueing at the self service checkout in a supermarket and the queue was taking too long ot move so he just wlaked out with his coke and chocolate :pac: :D

A girl I work with helps herself to a 2L carton of milk from the canteen fridge everyday.

A friend of mine works in a clothes shop and when she was working she found a wad of cash in dollars. Her manager was nearby when she picked it up. She wanted it herself but had to put it at the customer service desk, so she gave her friend a vivid description of it by text (the chrome clip, a stained note) at lunch and her friend arrived and pretended to be the person who "lost it".
    Her friend came in and claimer "her" cash and they got $500 each out of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Fella I work with told me he was queueing at the self service checkout in a supermarket and the queue was taking too long ot move so he just wlaked out with his coke and chocolate :pac: :D

A girl I work with helps herself to a 2L carton of milk from the canteen fridge everyday.

A friend of mine works in a clothes shop and when she was working she found a wad of cash in dollars. Her manager was nearby when she picked it up. She wanted it herself but had to put it at the customer service desk, so she gave her friend a vivid description of it by text (the chrome clip, a stained note) at lunch and her friend arrived and pretended to be the person who "lost it".
    No stinge here. Just plain stealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Did the person who lost $1000 not come looking for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,775 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

I've often done that for a single item, but I just sling the cash down as I pass. Nothing to do with me if that screws up the automated stock figures as the item I took wasn't barcode scanned. :rolleyes:

Your friend should look up "stealing by finding".

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I've often done that for a single item, but I just sling the cash down as I pass. Nothing to do with me if that screws up the automated stock figures as the item I took wasn't barcode scanned. :rolleyes:

It's literally everything to do with you. Never mind though, that's someone else's problem to fix right?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Pretty stingy with your time! (As well as scumbagish.)

• Advertisement

OhHiMark wrote: »
    It's literally everything to do with you. Never mind though, that's someone else's problem to fix right?
    Pretty stingy with your time! (As well as scumbagish.)

Less whinge, more stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I've often toyed with the idea of this but never actually done it so forgive me, but this is just a stingy thought as opposed to action..
    When I'm at a chain supermarket store and the person in front of me at the checkout has a massive shop done and is asked by the cashier if they have a loyalty card and they say no.
    I've a few times had to stop myself from 'offering' to take their points.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Antares35 wrote:

That was a tough read. The odd paragraph would have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

On the American thing,it seems to infect Irish people that emigrate over there too. I know someone who emigrated about 25 years ago. She lives in some God-awful scorching part of Arizona so comes home for about a month every year at the height of the Summer to get away from the heat. She brings her children and imposes on friends and relations. She then spends her time lounging around the house complaining about how cold Ireland is and insists on the heating being on full blast. One time, she used a house while the owners, (former!) friends of hers, were themselves abroad on holiday. She rang them while they were away saying the oil had run out and who did they use for deliveries. When the owners came home, they got a statement from the oil company looking for €200 for a delivery. She was long gone.

She is home again in the next week or two. Even relatives refuse to put her up now and she has to AirBnB it.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    On the American thing,it seems to infect Irish people that emigrate over there too. I know someone who emigrated about 25 years ago. She lives in some God-awful scorching part of Arizona so comes home for about a month every year at the height of the Summer to get away from the heat. She brings her children and imposes on friends and relations. She then spends her time lounging around the house complaining about how cold Ireland is and insists on the heating being on full blast. One time, she used a house while the owners, (former!) friends of hers, were themselves abroad on holiday. She rang them while they were away saying the oil had run out and who did they use for deliveries. When the owners came home, they got a statement from the oil company looking for €200 for a delivery. She was long gone.

She is home again in the next week or two. Even relatives refuse to put her up now and she has to AirBnB it.

What an absolute scabby cnut.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I lent my cousin €10,000 so he could have cosmetic surgery.

Now that I don't know what he looks like, I can't get my money back. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Got a phone call in the office, some random punter was looking to see if we had any promotional handwarmers that we could send him. He'd got some 2 years ago from us at an exhibition.

Less whinge, more stinge.

Well don't give us a story about you being a prick so. That's about as welcome as whinging.

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Well don't give us a story about you being a prick so. That's about as welcome as whinging.

You're an utter charmer.
    Welcome to the Bozo List, eejit.

• Advertisement

You're an utter charmer.
    Welcome to the Bozo List, eejit.

Oh cool. What kind of perks do I get?

Advertisement