Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

He duped them. It’s pretty clear in the post. He brought back the pair that he bought for €67. Maybe went to two different sales assistants. The original pair were probably beyond return if scuffed. There’ll be a discrepancy there that will have to be explained when the tills are balanced. It’s indefensible. But encountering these mindsets is weirdly fascinating. I occasionally encountered this during my shoe shop days. It’s rare thankfully but yep, we fielded the occasional wannabe cute hoor.
    The tills won't be out any money and the sales assistant won't get in trouble. When a shop is in sale, they still will have items returned that were bought at full price. So when the sales assistant scanned them when doing the return, she would have over ridden the price back to full price. So the till will balance and so will the stock as they have in their possession, an unworn pair of boots. The sales assistant won't get in trouble as she followed the returns procedure when doing the return as there was a valid receipt. It's not theft whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

He accepted the full price for Pair Of Boots 1 (consideration) and paid it.

He bought Pair Of Boots 2 for a lower price.

He passed off Pair Of Boots 1 (which he had accepted the price for) as Pair Of Boots 2.

Somebody could lose their job over that but, LOL, what a cute hoor.

Unless I'm mistaken, he returned Boots 2, the unworn ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

But would they? Let's assume Boots number 1 were in reasonable condition to be accepted for return. Sales assistant follows correct procedure and offers refund.

Poster goes back in, picks up Boots number 2 for whatever reason and pays applicable price as displayed.

If their boss found out, they absolutely could. Speaking from experience here. Not fired from a job myself but have seen it happen to others. Yes, if this was discovered, it’s a fireable offence. It’s a good chunk of change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

maudgonner wrote: »

No Boots 1 were the expensive pair returned

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd only have a problem with it if the sales assistant is going to get in trouble,:

I would also have a serious problem if I thought for one second that the sales assistant or manager could get in trouble. I would not have done it if there was any doubt in my mind about this.

• Advertisement

maudgonner wrote: »

No, he clearly brought back Boots 1. Otherwise, why tell the story of returning the boots you’ve just bought? The whole point of the story is the swap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Theft by deception.

6.—(1) A person who dishonestly, with the intention of making a gain for himself or herself or another, or of causing loss to another, by any deception induces another to do or refrain from doing an act is guilty of an offence.

If their boss found out, they absolutely could. Speaking from experience here. Not fired from a job myself but have seen it happen to others. Yes, if this was discovered, it’s a fireable offence. It’s a good chunk of change.

I'm sorry but i don't get the rationale here. I would sue the bejaysus out of said company if i got the tin tack.

What exactly has the SA done wrong?

No he returned boots 2, the unworn pair. They matched the receipt of boots 1 as they were the exact same pair. So no one could ever find out and no one could ever get in trouble.

No Boots 1 were the expensive pair returned

I actually returned boots 2 which were identical in every way to the first pair.
    I passed them off as boots 1 as I had worn boots 1 for two weeks.

• Advertisement

And let's assume ODB that he did not make both transactions at the same time

(Returned Boots 1 and at the same time purchased Boots 2)

I actually returned boots 2 which were identical in every way to the first pair.
    I passed them off as boots 1 as I had worn boots 1 for two weeks.

Oh, that changes things ye manky bastard :D

I would also have a serious problem if I thought for one second that the sales assistant or manager could get in trouble. I would not have done it if there was any doubt in my mind about this.

You’re not in the position to know that. You’ve walked away and will never know if there were repercussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

No, he clearly brought back Boots 1. Otherwise, why tell the story of returning the boots you’ve just bought? The whole point of the story is the swap.

He passed off the newly bought unworn boots as the pair he'd paid full price for by my reading.

They have a new pair of boots which they think were the ones sold for 179 but they're not, they're the pair that were sold on sale and the full price ones are the ones he still has which probably aren't in returnable condition by now.

He didn't get mightily ripped off, they still have a shop fresh pair of boots.

If he'd done what your reading of the post was then yes that'd be very scummy but I don't think that's what happened.

You’re not in the position to know that. You’ve walked away and will never know if there were repercussions.
    You're not listening to logic, there is no way they can find out or anyone get in trouble. He returned a pair of unworn boots with a valid receipt. Whether or not they were the exact physical pair of boots listed on the receipt is irrelevent and unprovable as they do not have a serial number or any other identifying information.

Oh, give over.
    There is no possibility of this coming back on the sales assistant of the manager.
    None.

They refunded €179 for a pair of boots, with a receipt for that amount.

I will accept sharp practice.
    I will accept a level of deception.

The notion that the sales assistant could lose their job - no.
    Not.
    Ever.

Accepted, but they are hardly going to laugh heartily and say "well done", if they were secretly appalled.

Whatever about the claim that it is, technically, theft at worst and sharp practice at best, the notion that an assistant could lose their job is a complete load of bollocks.

Please explain how this could happen.
    The refund was approved by a manager.

I had somebody proudly tell me this summer gone that the suit he owns is one he never returned to the suit rental place. Somebody brazenly telling you about their underhand behaviour is incredibly difficult to respond to. I laughed it off and changed the subject but I didn’t challenge the person. However I think he’s a complete knackbag now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Buy boots A - 179
    Buy boots b - 69

Return the unworn pair and receive 179 in exchange?

I don’t see any problem here except for the OP calling himself a stinge as no self respecting stinge is paying either price for a pair of boots

Oh, give over.
    There is no possibility of this coming back on the sales assistant of the manager.
    None.

They refunded €179 for a pair of boots, with a receipt for that amount.

I will accept sharp practice.
    I will accept a level of deception.

The notion that the sales assistant could lose their job - no.
    Not.
    Ever.

Whatever you have to tell yourself. You and the responses backing you up - cute hoorism is alive and well.

I had somebody proudly tell me this summer gone that the suit he owns is one he never returned to the suit rental place. Somebody brazenly telling you about their underhand behaviour is incredibly difficult to respond to. I laughed it off and changed the subject but I didn’t challenge the person. However I think he’s a complete knackbag now.

I'm sure you didn't say "fair play to you, that's fcuking brilliant".
    That's, the reaction I got from anyone I told.

I think that suit guy is a scumbag too.
    I wouldn't do that.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you didn't say "fair play to you, that's fcuking brilliant".
    That's, the reaction I got from anyone I told.

I think that suit guy is a scumbag too.
    I wouldn't do that.

I laughed and made vaguely affirmative noises (awkwardly). Anyway, you do you.

TBR

Was it a "large" chain or an independent?

TBR

Multinational

That is actual theft though, no if's, and's or but's. Two situations are totally different.

TBR

If you think the action acceptable, why should that matter?

ncmc wrote: »
    That is actual theft though, no if's, and's or but's. Two situations are totally different.

Just brought it to highlight that people are often not straight with each other. I wouldn’t point out the underhandedness if it wasn’t worth the hassle but I’d forever think less of the person. One case might be more serious than the other but I would find both knackery, to different degrees.

If you think the action acceptable, why should that matter?

I was wondering because of the size of the discount....was it an independent looking to get rid of it's stock at any value as it had a cashflow problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

People certainly aren't being stingy with over-reactions today anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

It will be even worse when they see the actual boots he bought

rBVaR1usZHKAETjSAAHx0p5-0BU758.jpg

• Advertisement

This is a popular thread and the post has still only been thanked twice. I’m comfortable in my reaction.

Advertisement