Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

sullivlo wrote: »
    Not going into rounds = not stingy.

Going into rounds and leaving before it’s your turn = stingy.

You appear to be getting your knickers in a twist. That will make them hard to dry clothes in a few years.

Choosing not to buy things you can afford I’d frugal. Getting others to buy it for you so you save money is stingy.

How on earth is it stingy to order & pay for what you are drinking & not expect anyone else to buy it for you? There is nothing stingy about not being "in" the round system in the first place, which is what I said I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Adults using child tickets on buses and trains.....

That's pure stingy.

The amount of people who just walk through the gate behind someone else on the DART is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ProudDUB wrote: »
    How on earth is it stingy to order & pay for what you are drinking & not expect anyone else to buy it for you? There is nothing stingy about not being "in" the round system in the first place, which is what I said I was.

I think the double negatives are maybe causing confusion. The poster said it's not stingy if you don't get into the round to begin with.
    It is stingy if you are in a round with others and you don't buy the round when it is your turn.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

ProudDUB wrote: »

Which is exactly what I said in my post.

You’re being stingy with the understanding ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Stinginess is not an anachronism. My late grandmother was widdowed at a very young age. My dad was only 10 when he lost his dad.

There was very little welfare or assistance back then, Margaret Cash woudln't know what to do. My grandmother was a saint of a woman who figuratively stretched every penny into copper wire. Earning only a few pounds a week to feed herself and four children she wasted nothing. If you didn't eat your dinner in her house, it was put aside and if you were hungry later you had to eat the dinner you didn't finish earlier.

Rags were reused and reused again. Clothes were sewn up and shoes were mended. Nothing was wasted.
    Elastics were taken from the chicken for reuse and the bones weren't discared either! They make a yummy soup!

My nanny was a very resilliant lady who was born in 1922 and was a young lady during the second world war. Times were tough when she was growing up and even tougher without a husband at a young age. She was programmed to live like that growing up due to her unfortunate circumstances.

I was blessed to have grow up in the same house as her with both my parents and my sister, all of whom are still alive thanks to God (except my nanny unfortunately). Growing up she was head of the household out of respect and righfully so, she taught us all money saving tips that I will take though my own life.

Miss you nanny xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Stinginess is not an anachronism. My late grandmother was widdowed at a very young age. My dad was only 10 when he lost his dad.

There was very little welfare or assistance back then, Margaret Cash woudln't know what to do. My grandmother was a saint of a woman who figuratively stretched every penny into copper wire. Earning only a few pounds a week to feed herself and four children she wasted nothing. If you didn't eat your dinner in her house, it was put aside and if you were hungry later you had to eat the dinner you didn't finish earlier.

Rags were reused and reused again. Clothes were sewn up and shoes were mended. Nothing was wasted.
    Elastics were taken from the chicken for reuse and the bones weren't discared either! They make a yummy soup!

My nanny was a very resilliant lady who was born in 1922 and was a young lady during the second world war. Times were tough when she was growing up and even tougher without a husband at a young age. She was programmed to live like that growing up due to her unfortunate circumstances.

I was blessed to have grow up in the same house as her with both my parents and my sister, all of whom are still alive thanks to God (except my nanny unfortunately). Growing up she was head of the household out of respect and righfully so, she taught us all money saving tips that I will take though my own life.

Miss you nanny xx

Sounds like a legend of a woman and you are lucky that she seems such a role model in your life. But don’t besmirch her memory by even trying to put her and her actions into the same league as stingey people.

What she did is what she needed to do for her and her family to survive. In my opinion stinginess is when you do something that you don’t need to do and is not a form of survival but a disrespect slight to the common norm. For example your nanny would save leftovers to serve as a meal at a different time because instead of being greedy she knew that people would need food later. That’s not stingy. A stingy person would hide the fact that they had food for later and make someone pay for food even though they couldn’t afford it.

Your nanny would stitch clothes because she couldn’t affor new ones. That’s not stingy but the fact that she wanted her family to look well and knew that new clothes weren’t an option. A stingy person would lie that they had no clothes and make another person buy them.

Stinginess is never a positive attribute. It is a flaw in a person rather than an endearing quality of someone who is doing the best for their family.

Thanks for the kind words about my nanny :)
    She was frugal, God rest her.

Here's an actual stinge story.

A coworker of mine pinches a plate / bowl from the canteen after meals in work every so often, she is stashing them at home for when she moves in with her boyfriend. Over the past few months she has accumulated 20-odd plates and pieces of cutlery :P She is moving in with her other half so she hasn't bought crockery :P Cups and condiments are not immune either!

She also pinches full toilet rolls from the jacks in work, another less expense, she says she'll continue to do so until aprehended.

I bought my manager 100 packets (10 sleeves) of cheap Ukrainian cigarettes when I went to Kiev (she smokes like a chimney and would smoke anything with tobacco in it) and she brought me to and from work for a month beforehand when I was between cars and kept pushing money back when I offered it to her. Fags are less than a Euro a box there (equivelant of local currency). So it cost me only 90-odd quid.

She has a balcony off her office and she soundly lets people traipse through to use the balcony to have a fag break during work, as I was waking towards the balcony for a breather and to have my cuppa with fresh air (I don't smoke) the same woman I mentioned above was coming out and was taking a sleeve of fags from the Duty Free bag that was sitting beside her office chair ... "Ahh says I, did Sharon throw you a sleeve?"...... she looked like she shit herself and put it back and slinked out.

She is the Queen of stinge !! :)

Although maybe I should tell the manager about the cigarette incident. I don't want to rock the boat in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thanks for the kind words about my nanny :)
    She was frugal, God rest her.

Here's an actual stinge story.

A coworker of mine pinches a plate / bowl from the canteen after meals in work every so often, she is stashing them at home for when she moves in with her boyfriend. Over the past few months she has accumulated 20-odd plates and pieces of cutlery :P She is moving in with her other half so she hasn't bought crockery :P Cups and condiments are not immune either!

She also pinches full toilet rolls from the jacks in work, another less expense, she says she'll continue to do so until aprehended.

I bought my manager 100 packets (10 sleeves) of cheap Ukrainian cigarettes when I went to Kiev (she smokes like a chimney and would smoke anything with tobacco in it) and she brought me to and from work for a month beforehand when I was between cars and kept pushing money back when I offered it to her. Fags are less than a Euro a box there (equivelant of local currency). So it cost me only 90-odd quid.

She has a balcony off her office and she soundly lets people traipse through to use the balcony to have a fag break during work, as I was waking towards the balcony for a breather and to have my cuppa with fresh air (I don't smoke) the same woman I mentioned above was coming out and was taking a sleeve of fags from the Duty Free bag that was sitting beside her office chair ... "Ahh says I, did Sharon throw you a sleeve?"...... she looked like she shit herself and put it back and slinked out.

She is the Queen of stinge !! :)

Although maybe I should tell the manager about the cigarette incident. I don't want to rock the boat in work.

This is a classic case of when stinge becomes plain old fashioned theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The only time it's acceptable to steal toilet roll is when you're a student in university. She's not stingy, she's an out and out thief. Trying to rob your boss's cigarettes is just nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

This is a classic case of when stinge becomes plain old fashioned theft.

I agree and it seems like she's pretty much flaunting it for the most part bar the smokes incident where she was put back in her box. If this is the stuff Crock Rock is aware of then its possibly just the tip of the ice berg. I certainly wouldn't be leaving my wallet/ handbag (well I don't have one of them but figuratively speaking) lying around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I can't believe I forgot about this one. My parents got me and my partner a "funky" (their words) looking toilet brush in France about five or six years ago when we were living in Dublin. So it was new when we moved to Cork and we brought it with us. Grand. Then last year we moved to the UK and we left some things behind in our apartment in our rush to move and I asked my mother if she could throw them out. She was appalled to find that we left behind the beloved toilet brush and she said it to me. Well I said at this stage it was time for a new one and she told me it was very expensive, that it was 25 euro she spent on it. So she decided to keep it and it's in their downstairs bathroom now. My parents are pretty comfortably off so this is just one example of stinge :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Succubus_ wrote: »
    She was appalled to find that we left behind the beloved toilet brush and she said it to me. Well I said at this stage it was time for a new one and she told me it was very expensive, that it was 25 euro she spent on it. So she decided to keep it and it's in their downstairs bathroom now. My parents are pretty comfortably off so this is just one example of stinge :p

I'm guessing your mother most likely grew up in a period when there was a genuine reduce/re-use/recycle ethos rather than the nice buzz words that are circulated today and arguably not a lot of it in practice. Sometimes old habits die hard too.

There is the other end of the spectrum too and being wasteful. Just to throw out a few random examples....A friend forgot his shower gel once so I lent him mine. It was one of those extra large lynx bottles with very little taken out of it. When he gave it back to me it was virtually all used and it wasn't as if he was working in the sewers beforehand. I wouldn't deny it to him but it just ringed through how wasteful the same guy is, would leave home for hours on end and leave radio's/ TV's and every second light on in the house.

Another good example is motor insurance. People stay with the same provider for years and in return for their loyalty are absolutely fleeced. Something I don't like doing but I know if I didn't ring around each year for the best quote I would be thousands worse off now - am I stingy for doing it - maybe/ maybe not but either way if you don't you will pay insanely over the odds for motor insurance over the years and there are many that don't.

The ironic thing about it is that the stingy people often seem to be worth a fortune and those that are less frugal with their money (to put it nicely maybe) don't seem to have much a lot of the time but maybe that's how both groups got where they are. Its nice to see some middle ground. Anyway, I'm totally digressing, and am sure there is a money waster thread of some nature over there. Somebody please post a stinge story to bring the thread back on tracksmile.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I can't believe I forgot about this one. My parents got me and my partner a "funky" (their words) looking toilet brush in France about five or six years ago when we were living in Dublin. So it was new when we moved to Cork and we brought it with us. Grand. Then last year we moved to the UK and we left some things behind in our apartment in our rush to move and I asked my mother if she could throw them out. She was appalled to find that we left behind the beloved toilet brush and she said it to me. Well I said at this stage it was time for a new one and she told me it was very expensive, that it was 25 euro she spent on it. So she decided to keep it and it's in their downstairs bathroom now. My parents are pretty comfortably off so this is just one example of stinge :p

This story cracks me up. Who thinks of buying a toilet brush , funky or not, as a present. How are you supposed to react when getting it. Thanks for getting me something to scrub my sh1t off the bowl.

I would point out that you did bring it with you when moving house. I suppose it did have sentimental value but maybe your mum has it too. She might have had a memory of buying it or something.

Anyway, I remember at a house party where for the guts of 12 hours we were buying smokes. Must have been 6 packs. Just threw on table and people helped themselves. When it was one guys turn he slinked off and came back without saying a word. He had literally smoked 30 of everyone else’s at this stage. When asked where the smokes he took them out. Different brand to what everyone else smoked. No big deal. But gave 1 between two and told everyone to share and then put back in his pocket. He had arrived with nothing and was told to keep his poxy smokes.

joeguevara wrote: »
    Anyway, I remember at a house party where for the guts of 12 hours we were buying smokes. Must have been 6 packs. Just threw on table and people helped themselves. When it was one guys turn he slinked off and came back without saying a word. He had literally smoked 30 of everyone else’s at this stage. When asked where the smokes he took them out. Different brand to what everyone else smoked. No big deal. But gave 1 between two and told everyone to share and then put back in his pocket. He had arrived with nothing and was told to keep his poxy smokes.
    Perfect stinge story. No one can defend that behaviour which is stingy, not frugal. That's the type of person who ends up with no friends because everyone is sick of their sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

joeguevara wrote: »
    This story cracks me up. Who thinks of buying a toilet brush , funky or not, as a present. How are you supposed to react when getting it. Thanks for getting me something to scrub my sh1t off the bowl.

I bought my wife a toilet brush for Xmas!

It’s a skull one! With a bone as the handle for the brush!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

I'm guessing your mother most likely grew up in a period when there was a genuine reduce/re-use/recycle ethos rather than the nice buzz words that are circulated today and arguably not a lot of it in practice. Sometimes old habits die hard too.

There is the other end of the spectrum too and being wasteful. Just to throw out a few random examples....A friend forgot his shower gel once so I lent him mine. It was one of those extra large lynx bottles with very little taken out of it. When he gave it back to me it was virtually all used and it wasn't as if he was working in the sewers beforehand. I wouldn't deny it to him but it just ringed through how wasteful the same guy is, would leave home for hours on end and leave radio's/ TV's and every second light on in the house.

Another good example is motor insurance. People stay with the same provider for years and in return for their loyalty are absolutely fleeced. Something I don't like doing but I know if I didn't ring around each year for the best quote I would be thousands worse off now - am I stingy for doing it - maybe/ maybe not but either way if you don't you will pay insanely over the odds for motor insurance over the years and there are many that don't.

The ironic thing about it is that the stingy people often seem to be worth a fortune and those that are less frugal with their money (to put it nicely maybe) don't seem to have much a lot of the time but maybe that's how both groups got where they are. Its nice to see some middle ground. Anyway, I'm totally digressing, and am sure there is a money waster thread of some nature over there. Somebody please post a stinge story to bring the thread back on tracksmile.png

Well I think it's about picking and choosing what to be stingy with. Like my mother would think nothing of blowing 200 euro on a coat for herself, but god forbid I throw out a toilet brush (get one for like 1.50 in dealz), I'm the one who is being wasteful. I'm 30 and as far as I can remember the toilet brush in the upstairs bathroom has been there, I can only hope she changes the brush heads but somehow I'm doubtful :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Well I think it's about picking and choosing what to be stingy with. Like my mother would think nothing of blowing 200 euro on a coat for herself, but god forbid I throw out a toilet brush (get one for like 1.50 in dealz), I'm the one who is being wasteful. I'm 30 and as far as I can remember the toilet brush in the upstairs bathroom has been there, I can only hope she changes the brush heads but somehow I'm doubtful :eek:

It’s probably because she’s watching the small things like the toilet brush that she can afford the expensive coat. Makes sense really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

An elderly woman that I may or may not be related to reuses her dental floss sticks. She has a used one in the bathroom and lord forbid you throw it in the bin.

A fella I know in Co. Cavan.

76503644-used-tea-bags-hanging-on-the-clothesline.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Yup :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,775 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

. She was appalled to find that we left behind the beloved toilet brush and she said it to me. Well I said at this stage it was time for a new one and she told me it was very expensive, that it was 25 euro she spent on it. So she decided to keep it and it's in their downstairs bathroom now. My parents are pretty comfortably off so this is just one example of stinge :p

It's so that every time she looks at she thinks of you.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The difference between a Cavan man and a cactus is that you can get a drink out of a cactus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

An expensive coat can be a good investment. If it is good quality and a classic style you can get years of wear out of it.

An expensive toilet brush is not going to clean your loo any better than a pound store toilet brush.

Knowing when to buy dear and when to buy cheap is not stingy, it's smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Jesus can we take the philosophy elsewhere!!!

More stinge stories here!!!!

I don't care about investments in a poxy coat!!!

Less debating, more stinge!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

A recent story about pro golfer Matt Kuchar was a great example of pure stinge.

Last November, Kuchar's regular caddie was unavailable for the Mayakoba Golf Classic, a second rate PGA tour stop.
    Kuchar was assigned a local caddie, David Ortiz, for the week.
    The typical arrangement on average for a PGA tour caddie is a base payment of $4,000 for the week's work. They get paid whether or not their guy makes the cut i.e. where the field is halved after the first two rounds with those making 'the cut' then playing for the prize money.

If their player makes the cut, then there is typically a set percentage given to the caddie e.g. Top 25 might mean 3% of the money, Top 10, 5%. The higher up the player finishes then the higher the cut will be. For a victory, the typical agreement is that the caddie get's 10% of the prize money. For example, Rory McIlroy won the Tour Championship a few years back, and wired his caddie $1m as the Bonus Prize was $10m.

Kuchar not only makes the cut but he wins. He hasn't had a victory for 4 years. His prize money?

$1,296,000.

On the Sunday evening Ortiz is handed an envelope by Kuchar. Ortiz opens it.
    His cut of the winnings?

$5,000.

An 'extra' grand for his troubles.

This all came to light in January when Ortiz went looking for recompense in line with traditional remuneration for caddies. It was taken up by the tour and Kuchar, who has career earnings of $46m alone, doubles down and says that they had an agreement at the start of the week and completely fails to see how his reputation, which was one of a personable, likeable Pro, has been tarnished by being a complete stingebag.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/matt-kuchar-defends-decision-pay-caddie-5k-after-mayakoba-win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

valoren wrote: »

What a prick!

Especially as the money would mean so little to Kuchar and presumably so much to the other guy.

I really don't understand that kind of meanness - if that had been me you'd be really looking forward to giving the caddie his bonus cash - you'd get a buzz out of something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume his regular caddy has 10% or something similar written into his contract, so he would have been getting off lightly giving the guy the 50K which was suggested. 5K is just mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tis more being a pure bollix than stingyness but I used to work for this lad who rented an office off a guy who ran a printing business and shared the building with.

One day the lad I worked for asked the owner of the building to print some flyers and business cards, asked how much he would charge and the owner said "ah sure dont worry about it" or something to that effect. Thought he was getting them as a good will gesture. Flyers and business cards arrived, not sure how many maybe 2000 flyers and a few 100 business cards

Followed by an invoice slipped in under the door for something like 2,500 eur. It was extremely hard for me to bite my tongue every time I saw the owner after that only I didnt see the point in fighting the battles of the lad I was working for. That same owner used to come on to me and give out over me leaving on a single fluorescent tube in a storage room for a few hours. His business was flying it, definitely not short of a bob just miserable as fcuk

valoren wrote: »
    A recent story about pro golfer Matt Kuchar was a great example of pure stinge.
    Wait, what? A caddie gets 10% of a players winnings??? That's the fella who hands over the golf clubs ya? How do I become one of those? Easy money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Wait, what? A caddie gets 10% of a players winnings??? That's the fella who hands over the golf clubs ya? How do I become one of those? Easy money!

how do you become a caddy to a PGA tour professional? with great difficulty i imagine. They dont just carry bags.

Advertisement