Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Wait, what? A caddie gets 10% of a players winnings??? That's the fella who hands over the golf clubs ya? How do I become one of those? Easy money!

Yeah, but you have to know which clubs to hand over! That's the hard bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Most of them are failed golf professionals these days. So they absolutely do more than carry a bag, depending on the player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Wait, what? A caddie gets 10% of a players winnings??? That's the fella who hands over the golf clubs ya? How do I become one of those? Easy money!

I think about 10 years ago or so New Zealand's highest paid sportstar was Tiger Woods' caddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

chewed wrote: »
    Yeah, but you have to know which clubs to hand over! That's the hard bit!

It's a lot more than that. Coach, motivator, keeping the player focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Kuchar ended up agreeing to pay $50,000. Seemingly named and shamed into it. The crowds at tournaments would usually chant "Koooooch" It is chanted akin to booing but was done with endearment. The crowds at the current tournament started chanting "Mooooch!!!" instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Kucher was always a likeable, personable chap before then I can see one reason why he might have done this, and that is that he didn't at all like the local caddie that he had been paired with.

The caddie might have been a dick, they might really not have gotten along, and as such Kucher might have decided that he would rather give the guy a virus than a wad of cash.

It wouldn't be unusual, plenty of people mix like oil and water, and when you really dislike a person it can really stick in the throat to have to do good things for them. Its only human nature.

Its all conjecture, I don't know either of the people or the situation, but if a previously nice guy with no history of stiffing his caddie suddenly does that to a guy he was paired with, then it is possible that it was a personality clash rather than one guy being a total stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Tis more being a pure bollix than stingyness but I used to work for this lad who rented an office off a guy who ran a printing business and shared the building with.

One day the lad I worked for asked the owner of the building to print some flyers and business cards, asked how much he would charge and the owner said "ah sure dont worry about it" or something to that effect. Thought he was getting them as a good will gesture. Flyers and business cards arrived, not sure how many maybe 2000 flyers and a few 100 business cards

Followed by an invoice slipped in under the door for something like 2,500 eur. It was extremely hard for me to bite my tongue every time I saw the owner after that only I didnt see the point in fighting the battles of the lad I was working for. That same owner used to come on to me and give out over me leaving on a single fluorescent tube in a storage room for a few hours. His business was flying it, definitely not short of a bob just miserable as fcuk

What a lot of people don't realise, especially those that don't have a strong business acumen is that cutting costs and dare I say it being a bit of a tight arse is what helps to gets you to a point where you are not short of a bob. Leaving on a fluorescent tube unnecessarily for a few hours (and I am not sure if you were in and out of the room in that time) may in in it self not make or break you but its more about the mindset you apply to your business or even your personal finances really. Watch the pennies and the pounds will watch themselves and all that really is very true. Even good well ran businesses that seemingly take a "moral high ground" will fleece a customer or even pull a fast one if they think they will get away with it in reality, even though it may be more covert.

That said for him to say "ah sure don't worry about it" when asked to provide a quote for the printing and then to send on an invoice of €2,500 definitely was not a good way to conduct his business whatever way you look at it. To say that your boss/co-worker and then send on a bill of €2,500 was just a bad bad sloppy way to do business. I would have being assuming the service was to be provided for free or for a very nominal amount*

* I am no expert on printing costs but I would think that €2,500 for a run of 2,000 flyers and a few hundred (200?) business cards is possibly even higher than market rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

If Kucher was always a likeable, personable chap before then I can see one reason why he might have done this, and that is that he didn't at all like the local caddie that he had been paired with.

The caddie might have been a dick, they might really not have gotten along, and as such Kucher might have decided that he would rather give the guy a virus than a wad of cash.

It wouldn't be unusual, plenty of people mix like oil and water, and when you really dislike a person it can really stick in the throat to have to do good things for them. Its only human nature.

Its all conjecture, I don't know either of the people or the situation, but if a previously nice guy with no history of stiffing his caddie suddenly does that to a guy he was paired with, then it is possible that it was a personality clash rather than one guy being a total stinge.

“He was definitely my lucky charm,” Kuchar said. “He brought me good luck and certainly some extra crowd support and did a great job as well. He did just what I was hoping for and looking for.”

He stiffed him fair and square. He thought he could save himself over $125k, got rightly called out on being a stinge and needed to be shamed into coughing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

A golf caddie is like a co driver in a rally car. They do a lot of preliminary work before the golf starts e.g. walking the course, taking notes, giving opinions to the golfer.

It may not be a coincidence that he won with a local caddie who probably knew the course backward and better than his normal caddie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm just making a suggestion here but would it be a good idea to split this thread in two? I love reading stingy stories but it's usually one story followed by pages of arguing over whether or not it's stingy. I'll hold my hands up and admit that I'm just as guilty as anyone else of doing this.

In YLYL, pictures are posted and if you want to discuss them, you have to go to the discussion thread, which works really well. What if we have a Stingiest Things and Stingiest Things discussion thread? Or would that just be a pain in the ar$e because this thread doesn't get the traffic it used to?

I wonder does the nit picking put people off posting their stories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I'm fed up hearing about caddies and golf.

More stinge please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Speaking to my sister, who lives down the country, and she told me about her neighours, her nice, friendly, always out to have a chat neigbours.. who she has helped out numerous times by twice taking one of their kids in an emergency, helping them out with all sorts to do with their house.

A couple of weeks ago my young nephew had an accident, suspected broken ankle, mad rush off to hospital and my sister runs next door to ask the nice neighbours if they'll keep an eye on her older kid once he's in from school, has his own key, texts sent so he knows, and school’s been notified etc. etc.

Yes, of course they will, no worries, reassuring her.. but did they check on him, feck no? Did they look in? Not once. They didn’t invite the lad to theirs, offer him a bite to eat, nothing! He was on his own until my sister came back that night at 8 pm. She’s still livid.. and they’re in hiding since. Avoiding her.. what sort of miserable bastewards do that to a kid, but yet use and take when it’s favourable to them? Her kids are quiet too, as good as gold, so it's not as if they’re badly behaved wild things.

My sister said it’s now only making sense as they had made excuses in the past when she was without the car for a stint, or when she out trying to fix the front gate, not that she expected help, but thought it unusual that they chose certain times to moan about their own troubles or suddenly have something very important to do.

It takes all sorts, but people who pretend to be caring just so they benefit from whatever's going are the worst of the worst. I reckon it’s a stinge of the soul, nothing else makes sense.. but why would you not look out for a neighbour’s kid if asked. Miserable sh!ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm just making a suggestion here but would it be a good idea to split this thread in two? I love reading stingy stories but it's usually one story followed by pages of arguing over whether or not it's stingy. I'll hold my hands up and admit that I'm just as guilty as anyone else of doing this.

I think all that's required is a "No arguing the stinge" rule. Works perfectly well in R&R.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Speaking to my sister, who lives down the country, and she told me about her neighours, her nice, friendly, always out to have a chat neigbours.. who she has helped out numerous times by twice taking one of their kids in an emergency, helping them out with all sorts to do with their house.

A couple of weeks ago my young nephew had an accident, suspected broken ankle, mad rush off to hospital and my sister runs next door to ask the nice neighbours if they'll keep an eye on her older kid once he's in from school, has his own key, texts sent so he knows, and school’s been notified etc. etc.

Yes, of course they will, no worries, reassuring her.. but did they check on him, feck no? Did they look in? Not once. They didn’t invite the lad to theirs, offer him a bite to eat, nothing! He was on his own until my sister came back that night at 8 pm. She’s still livid.. and they’re in hiding since. Avoiding her.. what sort of miserable bastewards do that to a kid, but yet use and take when it’s favourable to them? Her kids are quiet too, as good as gold, so it's not as if they’re badly behaved wild things.

My sister said it’s now only making sense as they had made excuses in the past when she was without the car for a stint, or when she out trying to fix the front gate, not that she expected help, but thought it unusual that they chose certain times to moan about their own troubles or suddenly have something very important to do.

It takes all sorts, but people who pretend to be caring just so they benefit from whatever's going are the worst of the worst. I reckon it’s a stinge of the soul, nothing else makes sense.. but why would you not look out for a neighbour’s kid if asked. Miserable sh!ts.

What age was the older kid? If he was old enough they'd have been well off out of it, though very unneighbourly.

I remember when I was young, 9 or 10 years old my sister had an accident and my parents took her off to A&E. I must have been at summer camp or something and they had to leave without me, the next door neighbour, in fairness to him was waiting on the wall (for God knows how long) with the front door key telling me to pack a bag and ring my uncle to come pick me up as I'll be staying with him for the night.
    I think it was worked out afterwards he must have been there for about 2 hours but he was afraid I'd panic when I got no answer.

That's the kind of good neighbour you need.

razorblunt wrote: »
    What age was the older kid? If he was old enough they'd have been well off out of it, though very unneighbourly.

I remember when I was young, 9 or 10 years old my sister had an accident and my parents took her off to A&E. I must have been at summer camp or something and they had to leave without me, the next door neighbour, in fairness to him was waiting on the wall (for God knows how long) with the front door key telling me to pack a bag and ring my uncle to come pick me up as I'll be staying with him for the night.
    I think it was worked out afterwards he must have been there for about 2 hours but he was afraid I'd panic when I got no answer.

It doesn't matter though does it? This is the exact type of unnecessary discussion that go on and fecking on in this thread. Soon we'll hear all the stories: When I was a kid..

My sister has helped that miserable pair out umpteen times, they couldn't even be bothered to check on the lad and help my sister out. That is the point. The only point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

razorblunt wrote: »

Take your non stinge story and :mad::mad::mad::mad: off!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I once heard of a fella who asked his own mother for petrol money for bringing her to hospital for chemotherapy. The same lad still has his confirmation money. Tight git.
    Not only is that stinge, it's just downright selfish greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Of course it matters. If he's 15 he doesn't need looked in on.

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    It doesn't matter though does it? This is the exact type of unnecessary discussion that go on and fecking on in this thread. Soon we'll hear all the stories: When I was a kid..

My sister has helped that miserable pair out umpteen times, they couldn't even be bothered to check on the lad and help my sister out. That is the point. The only point.

Maybe you'd help your cause if you posted a story about stinginess rather than mistake this for the "I think my sibling's neighbors are pricks" thread.

Maybe you'd help your cause if you posted a story about stinginess rather than mistake this for the "I think my sibling's neighbors are pricks" thread.

And another great stinge post.. maybe you should start a b!tching thread.

• Advertisement

You're certainly not being stingy with your complete lack of self awareness. Great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

JESUS WEPT LESS B*TCHING MORE STINGE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- next bitchy post gets a thread ban or if particularly bad, we'll set lollipops on yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I once heard of a fella who asked his own mother for petrol money for bringing her to hospital for chemotherapy. The same lad still has his confirmation money. Tight git.
    Not only is that stinge, it's just downright selfish greed.

Heard this one a few times. It’s straying into urban myth territory at this stage. The giveaway is that it’s usually a friend of a friend or something equally vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I was involved with a property transaction a few years ago and I was to collect in £3.5m quid plus VAT and tenant's apportionment.

This client is the driest most miserable fcuker you could ever meet. Even his own brother has bitched about his obsession with money and how he was eff all else to do.

When discussing the final figures over the phone he reminded me that one tenant was in arrears to the grand tune of £19.70 and to make sure I didn't forget it.

Bear in mind this industrial park was handed over by his father, cost him nothing and no mortgage. He just sat back and collected the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

that one was posted on here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,775 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

pgj2015 wrote: »
    that one was posted on here before.
    It's the stinge that keeps on giving (or taking).
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

A close family member of mine and his wife are extremely frugal, which is fine. They live very cheaply and make everything (clothes, all food, furniture, even the kids reusable nappies etc) themselves, and that's all good, not stingy, just very resourceful and positive.

But this one thing is not ok.

A couple of years ago, they got a cat. The cat soon decided to abscond to some neighbours down the road, a very elderly couple who adore him. So for about 2 years, this old couple have been keeping and feeding him, he never even visits home any more.

My family member is now moving to a different county, and approached the elderly couple to see if they want to keep the cat or should they bring him with them. The elderly couple wants to keep him.

My family member is making them pay a sum of money for ownership of the cat. And they've agreed to pay it.

I'm kinda disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

A close family member of mine and his wife are extremely frugal, which is fine. They live very cheaply and make everything (clothes, all food, furniture, even the kids reusable nappies etc) themselves, and that's all good, not stingy, just very resourceful and positive.

A couple of years ago, they got a cat. The cat soon decided to abscond to some neighbours down the road, a very elderly couple who adore him. So for about 2 years, this old couple have been keeping and feeding him, he never even visits home any more.

My family member is now moving to a different county, and approached the elderly couple to see if they want to keep the cat or should they bring him with them. The elderly couple wants to keep him.

My family member is making them pay a sum of money for ownership of the cat. And they've agreed to pay it.

I'm kinda disgusted.
    I'd be so embarrassed to be related to people like that. They're the sort that would charge people an entrance fee to their new house warming party!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I'm kinda disgusted.

Thats disgusting.Can you not say anything to them.After all teh looked after the cat,free of charge:mad::mad:

Advertisement