Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Who the hell would pay to read the Independent?
    That's not even stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

rob316 wrote: »
    Relative staying with us recently was over from the states for a college reunion. He was telling me his friend was also over from the states with his wife and staying in a friend's house here. Their friend didn't really have the room for them but they said they would sleep on the air mattress and couch in the front room for a week. He was a bit embarrassed by this but he was delighted to have them stay.
    Anyway they paid for nothing, all the meals out didn't offer a cent, didn't buy one piece of groceries, drank all their booze. Half way through they were complaining about been uncomfortable sleeping so they actually took one of the children's beds.

This is the kicker on the last night they told there host/friend that they were retiring next year, with 5m in the bank and buying a holiday property. They are very wealthy as is she was a higher up in Amazon close to Bezos and later worked in a hedge fund. They live in the swanky Brooklyn heights.

Oh and here's the parting shot. If you or the kids want to come over anytime to the holiday home we will give you a good rate! The parting gift was also 3 bars of chocolate for the kids and bottle win from lidl. The friend has ignored all communication from his since, disgusted he was.

One of my sisters lives with an American, mean fcuker, never once brought a gift to our house, its something I expect especially on the first visit

Never shuts up about how wages are so much better in America either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

rob316 wrote: »
    Relative staying with us recently was over from the states for a college reunion. He was telling me his friend was also over from the states with his wife and staying in a friend's house here. Their friend didn't really have the room for them but they said they would sleep on the air mattress and couch in the front room for a week. He was a bit embarrassed by this but he was delighted to have them stay.
    Anyway they paid for nothing, all the meals out didn't offer a cent, didn't buy one piece of groceries, drank all their booze. Half way through they were complaining about been uncomfortable sleeping so they actually took one of the children's beds.

This is the kicker on the last night they told there host/friend that they were retiring next year, with 5m in the bank and buying a holiday property. They are very wealthy as is she was a higher up in Amazon close to Bezos and later worked in a hedge fund. They live in the swanky Brooklyn heights.

Oh and here's the parting shot. If you or the kids want to come over anytime to the holiday home we will give you a good rate! The parting gift was also 3 bars of chocolate for the kids and bottle win from lidl. The friend has ignored all communication from his since, disgusted he was.

They won't get the message, Americans don't get cold shoulder treatment, no subtlety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

This type of thing has been debated before in this thread. There is a difference between stingy and frugality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    One of my sisters lives with an American, mean fcuker, never once brought a gift to our house, its something I expect especially on the first visit

Never shuts up about how wages are so much better in America either.
    Do you mean like the guest should bring a bottle of wine if you are hosting dinner or are they just coming over for a chat and you expect a gift? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Nosnon wrote: »
    This type of thing has been debated before in this thread. There is a difference between stingy and frugality.

I don't really care what you think. I think it's stingey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Nosnon wrote: »

I don't really care what you think. I think it's stingey.

If you actually read up on the concept of FIRE its defo not about being stingy it's about frugality. People still go on holidays etc it's about making your money work. True you will still have a few stinge bags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

If you actually read up on the concept of FIRE its defo not about being stingy it's about frugality. People still go on holidays etc it's about making your money work. True you will still have a few stinge bags

I see this all the time at work. A lot of these people are thieves. They sit there on company time, drafting household budgets on spread sheets, checking bank accounts and scouring websites for deals. They do fcuk all work. One such person sits close by me and was mightily pissed off that he didn't get a promotion recently. He's been rumbled now and hasn't a hope. Nobody will entertain him.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

A mate of mine asked a Chinese restaurant if they would sell him half a spice bag. Half of 6 euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

A mate of mine asked a Chinese restaurant if they would sell him half a spice bag. Half of 6 euro!!

Yup they are out there. My sister asked me to get her one spring roll in the chinese once. Not one portion - one single spring roll. She was told to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Got all my Christmas shopping done already

Hope everyone likes Halloween costumes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Got all my Christmas shopping done already

Hope everyone likes Halloween costumes
    Completely off topic but this reminds me that one year I was so organised I had bought and wrapped all my presents just before Halloween. By the time it got to Christmas day I had forgotton what I bought everyone and I was just as excited as them to see what they got :pac:

Another year I was really disorganised and left it until the last minute. Learn from my mistake people. 4 o'clock on Christmas Eve is not a good time to be buying presents :o

Stinge story: A few years ago, my friend was sharing an apartment with two other girls. The Spanish girl moved her boyfriend in for two months and he didn't contribute anything towards rent or bills. They went home to Spain for two weeks for Christmas. When the next ESB bill came in, she tried to argue that the two weeks she wasn't there should be deducted from what she owed :rolleyes: She was told to go and shyte :D

I'm the stinge here but quite proud of myself.

Saw a pair of boots that I loved in a shop but were very expensive for me.
    €179. But I really liked them. Instead of talking me down, my wife encouraged me to buy them. So, I did. I loved them but was a little uncomfortable at the amount I paid for them (I didn't need them).

A couple of weeks later I see the identical boots reduced to €67 in the same shop.:mad::mad:

So, I bought them.

Half an hour later, I returned them for €179 as I still had the old receipt.

Now I really love those boots!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

€179. But I really liked them. Instead of talking me down, my wife encouraged me to buy them. So, I did. I loved them but was a little uncomfortable at the amount I paid for them (I didn't need them).

A couple of weeks later I see the identical boots reduced to €67 in the same shop.:mad::mad:

So, I bought them.

That's not stingy, that's theft.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So, I bought them.

So, you stole. Christ. I hope the sales assistant doesn’t get in trouble for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

So, you stole. Christ. I hope the sales assistant doesn’t get in trouble for that.

That's exactly it, they will.
    So the poster stole from the shop and will get a staff member in trouble.

To thine own self be true

That's exactly it, they will.
    So the poster stole from the shop and will get a staff member in trouble.

Why would anyone get in trouble?
    A pair of boots were bought for €179 and they were returned for €179 with a receipt.
    Another pair of boots were bought for €67.

No one is getting in trouble.

Why would anyone get in trouble.
    A pair of boots were bought for €179 and they were returned for €179 with a receipt.

:eek:

You’ll double down so little point in continuing here but jesus. The tills will be out for the day. That will have to be explained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Why would anyone get in trouble.

Ye, i wouldn't call it theft. A bit harsh IMO of being accused of stealing. If anything the shop are the robbing kunts charging that price originally if they can afford to reduce the price that much

Ye, i wouldn't call it theft. A bit harsh IMO of being accused of stealing. If anything the shop are the robbing kunts charging that price originally if they can afford to reduce the price that much

He accepted the price when he paid it. You have a choice of whether or not to pay the asking price.

Really knackery behaviour.

• Advertisement

He accepted the price when he paid it. You have a choice of whether or not to pay the asking price.

Really knackery behaviour.

Personally i wouldn't do it but it wasn't illegal or the shop wouldn't have accepted them back

Personally i wouldn't do it but it wasn't illegal or the shop wouldn't have accepted them back

He duped them. It’s pretty clear in the post. He brought back the pair that he bought for €67. Maybe went to two different sales assistants. The original pair were probably beyond return if scuffed. There’ll be a discrepancy there that will have to be explained when the tills are balanced. It’s indefensible. But encountering these mindsets is weirdly fascinating. I occasionally encountered this during my shoe shop days. It’s rare thankfully but yep, we fielded the occasional wannabe cute hoor.

He duped them. It’s pretty clear in the post. He brought back the pair that he bought for €67. Maybe went to two different sales assistants. The original pair were probably beyond return if scuffed. There’ll be a discrepancy there that will have to be explained. It’s indefensible. But encountering these mindsets is weirdly fascinating.

Where has the theft occurred though?

The reaction here is quite interesting.

I've told many people that story and each and every one reacted in an amused, positive way with no sense of it being a bad thing to do.

People gauge things differently, I guess.

Perhaps everyone I know is lacking in moral fibre, like me.

Where has the theft occurred though?

He accepted the full price for Pair Of Boots 1 (consideration) and paid it.

He bought Pair Of Boots 2 for a lower price.

He passed off Pair Of Boots 1 (which he had accepted the price for) as Pair Of Boots 2.

Somebody could lose their job over that but, LOL, what a cute hoor.

The reaction here is quite interesting.

I've told many people that story and each and every one reacted in an amused, positive way with no sense of it being a bad thing to do.

People gauge things differently, I guess.

Perhaps everyone I know is lacking in moral fibre, like me.

Of course they have. Nobody is going to tell you to your face how underhand you were.

He accepted the full price for Pair Of Boots 1 (consideration) and paid it.

He bought Pair Of Boots 2 for a lower price.

He passed off Pair Of Boots 1 (which he had accepted the price for) as Pair Of Boots 2.

Somebody would lose their job over that but, LOL, what a cute hoor.

But would they? Let's assume Boots number 1 were in reasonable condition to be accepted for return. Sales assistant follows correct procedure and offers refund.

Poster goes back in, picks up Boots number 2 for whatever reason and pays applicable price as displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I must be a bit dim, but how is it theft?

How is what he did any different to buying the shoes at €179, returning them unworn two weeks later and buying a pair for €69 and keeping them?

A bit immoral, but hardly theft? Some shops will refund you if you buy something that then goes on sale a few days later (not two weeks, mind!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'd only have a problem with it if the sales assistant is going to get in trouble, that much of a reduction is bonkers to me anyways.

I mean I'm assuming they're the same make, size, model etc, would there be some way to know the ones returned weren't the ones sold for the higher price?

And how would the till be out? As far as they're concerned surely today customer A bought a pair for 70 quid, and customer B returned a pair he bought for 180 two weeks ago? :confused:

• Advertisement

Of course they have. Nobody is going to tell you to your face how underhand you were.

Accepted, but they are hardly going to laugh heartily and say "well done", if they were secretly appalled.

Whatever about the claim that it is, technically, theft at worst and sharp practice at best, the notion that an assistant could lose their job is a complete load of bollocks.

Please explain how this could happen.
    The refund was approved by a manager.

Advertisement