Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Knock it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

When I was a kid, whenever one of my friends had a packet of crisps or say something like a bag of malteasers, if you asked for one, they'd push one to the top of the bag and offer it to you holding the rest of the bag closed with their hand so you couldn't get more than one. Youd say 'will you let go of it, you little scab' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

JeanL wrote: »
    When I was a kid, whenever one of my friends had a packet of crisps or say something like a bag of malteasers, if you asked for one, they'd push one to the top of the bag and offer it to you holding the rest of the bag closed with their hand so you couldn't get more than one. Youd say 'will you let go of it, you little scab' :pac:

Wouldn't blame them. You leave the bag fully open and some **** would take half the bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

siblers wrote: »
    Wouldn't blame them. You leave the bag fully open and some **** would take half the bag

:pac: I wouldn't have. You'd only want two or three and they'd practically crush the one they were giving you!!

Sharing is caring siblers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

My mother has a big family, her and two of her sisters were all born within about four years and they're the youngest so they were always expected to share.

One of those sisters is a bit odd to say the least, part of which oddness is being OBSESSED with chips and cheese and onion crisps, I doubt I've gone 30 minutes in her company in my life without her either talking about or eating them, including when she was going through chemotherapy. When they were kids if they got a bit of money to go to the shop the other two would get sweets and she'd get taytos and then before opening the pack squash them all up into crumbs to put the other two off asking her for any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

When I was a kid I used to buy bags of sweets, like maltesers, after spending the little money I had on them my friends would start freeloading off me for my sweets, opting to keep their money until they were on there own. I'd offer the unrestricted bag to a friend, then another friend would want in, then another until I had less sweets left that what others had taken. Eventually I got so fed up with it, but still wanting to be a nice guy, I used to only give my friends a single sweet, then the freeloaders started calling me the scab!

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The place I work, the canteen tries to charge people to use the cutlery

Whats even worse is they charge people for the little wooden stirrers for the tea/coffee, I mean come on! They are like 200 stirrers for €1!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

FanadMan wrote: »

some of them are shocking. i like the one with the pizza

some of them are shocking. i like the one with the pizza

If you like them, most, if not all of them, are from reddit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Relative staying with us recently was over from the states for a college reunion. He was telling me his friend was also over from the states with his wife and staying in a friend's house here. Their friend didn't really have the room for them but they said they would sleep on the air mattress and couch in the front room for a week. He was a bit embarrassed by this but he was delighted to have them stay.
    Anyway they paid for nothing, all the meals out didn't offer a cent, didn't buy one piece of groceries, drank all their booze. Half way through they were complaining about been uncomfortable sleeping so they actually took one of the children's beds.

This is the kicker on the last night they told there host/friend that they were retiring next year, with 5m in the bank and buying a holiday property. They are very wealthy as is she was a higher up in Amazon close to Bezos and later worked in a hedge fund. They live in the swanky Brooklyn heights.

Oh and here's the parting shot. If you or the kids want to come over anytime to the holiday home we will give you a good rate! The parting gift was also 3 bars of chocolate for the kids and bottle win from lidl. The friend has ignored all communication from his since, disgusted he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

rob316 wrote: »
    Relative staying with us recently was over from the states for a college reunion. He was telling me his friend was also over from the states with his wife and staying in a friend's house here. Their friend didn't really have the room for them but they said they would sleep on the air mattress and couch in the front room for a week. He was a bit embarrassed by this but he was delighted to have them stay.
    Anyway they paid for nothing, all the meals out didn't offer a cent, didn't buy one piece of groceries, drank all their booze. Half way through they were complaining about been uncomfortable sleeping so they actually took one of the children's beds.

This is the kicker on the last night they told there host/friend that they were retiring next year, with 5m in the bank and buying a holiday property. They are very wealthy as is she was a higher up in Amazon close to Bezos and later worked in a hedge fund. They live in the swanky Brooklyn heights.

Oh and here's the parting shot. If you or the kids want to come over anytime to the holiday home we will give you a good rate! The parting gift was also 3 bars of chocolate for the kids and bottle win from lidl. The friend has ignored all communication from his since, disgusted he was.

Does seem to be a trend....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Does seem to be a trend....

Thing is, the stereotype of Americans is that they are incredibly generous hosts.
    Perhaps it is a cultural thing that a guest pays for nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Thing is, the stereotype of Americans is that they are incredibly generous hosts.
    Perhaps it is a cultural thing that a guest pays for nothing?

Yes. Plus the fact that in Ireland we do the following dance " no, no, no. Put your money away. I'll pay for this. You're the guest. Really, it's grand. I insist" translation: It's your turn to pay.

Other cultures just take you at your word. I'm minded of the Xmas day scene when the mother in law rebuffs every offer of help from the daughter in law and insists she sit and relax. Then recall the situation as "the lazy bitch sat there all day and didn't lift a finger. Had the whole thing handed to her".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

When we were getting married we brought the best man and his partner to our meal tasting. Myself and my husband were "complimentary" but we had to pay for them. 12 months down the line my husband was doing best man and they didn't invite us to their tasting. They brought his mother and father.

That's not the thing that annoyed me though. At the meal we were deciding between roast beef or steak and i asked if they would take one of each and my husband and I would do the same. Straight out "no, i don't like roast beef" so I actually never can got tasting the fecking steak that we were gonna be paying an arm and a leg for 4 weeks down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

heldel00 wrote: »
    When we were getting married we brought the best man and his partner to our meal tasting. Myself and my husband were "complimentary" but we had to pay for them. 12 months down the line my husband was doing best man and they didn't invite us to their tasting. They brought his mother and father.

That's not the thing that annoyed me though. At the meal we were deciding between roast beef or steak and i asked if they would take one of each and my husband and I would do the same. Straight out "no, i don't like roast beef" so I actually never can got tasting the fecking steak that we were gonna be paying an arm and a leg for 4 weeks down the line!

At your wedding you wanted to share a plate with someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

razorblunt wrote: »
    At your wedding you wanted to share a plate with someone else?

I think she means at the tasting she wanted 2 of each plate between the 4 of them so they could have a variety of opinion, but they refused even though they werent paying.

Well that's just rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

But could the bride or groom not have tried the steak, I still dont get how she didnt test it.

Edit: Im guessing there were more than 3 meals on the menu, that would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

We told the hotel that we were trying to decide between beef and steak.
    So at the tasting they prepared two roast beef and two steaks (seeing as there were 4 of us) but when time came to eat the other pair nabbed the steaks because they didn't like beef.
    Probably just rude as opposed to stingey.

But not bringing us back to their tasting was stingey

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So at the tasting they prepared two roast beef and two steaks (seeing as there were 4 of us) but when time came to eat the other pair nabbed the steaks because they didn't like beef.

I think that is very very cheeky on both counts.....er steak is beef...so its not much of an excuse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i would have assumed that these tastings were more of a buffah style where everyone tastes everything

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

A guy I used to work with was renowned for being a cheapskate. One time there were about 5/6 of us out. I went up to the bar to get the first round in. He said he’d give me a hand and he brought the drinks back to the table. Fine.

A couple of rounds later, someone says “Who’s round is it next?” to which someone else says “Rgmmg? Have you got a round in yet?” Que yer man saying “Yeah, think it’s your round”. Pulled him aside and said “Don’t ever do that again. Now get t’ feck up to that bar ye cheap git”.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

rgmmg wrote: »
    A guy I used to work with was renowned for being a cheapskate. One time there were about 5/6 of us out. I went up to the bar to get the first round in. He said he’d give me a hand and he brought the drinks back to the table. Fine.

A couple of rounds later, someone says “Who’s round is it next?” to which someone else says “Rgmmg? Have you got a round in yet?” Que yer man saying “Yeah, think it’s your round”. Pulled him aside and said “Don’t ever do that again. Now get t’ feck up to that bar ye cheap git”.

By "pulled him aside" i hope you mean loudly and publicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rgmmg wrote: »

Were you physically unable to say the words "No, I bought the first round"?

By "pulled him aside" i hope you mean loudly and publicly?

Well, it was a loud club but in public. So, 50%.

Were you physically unable to say the words "No, I bought the first round"?

Probably not, but I don't know sign language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

A fella I work with coasts in neutral downhill whenever he can, he swears he uses 0 point something litres less per 100 km overall when he does this.

Another fella picks mould off bread and eats it after a quick blast in the toaster to cloak the "stale taste".

We were all at a house gathering for a friends 28th birthday, nothing special, no milestone. We are all mid to late 20's with one or two in their early 20's. I'm 28 myself.
    We all ordered from the local chipper into the night. We ordered a ready made party platter, I can't remember the exact cost.
    We all thought we'd be nice and chip in €2 or €3 each as a tip. There was about 25 of us. So there was about €60 as a tip for the driver, we were all feeling generous. The driver arrived and one of the girls had answered the door, she was the one who collected the tips in a small ziplock bag. I saw the girl who was delivering through the sitting room window, I know her to see. I nodded and smiled at her as she retreated down the driveway and gave her a wave. I met her her the next day in the shop and asked her if she was treating herself with the nice tip, "what tip?", she asked.
    After some sleuthing, weeks later it turns out the girl who was "collecting the tip", decided to pocket it for herself :pac: :pac::pac::pac::D:p
    She's been ostracised by us since.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,775 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Crock Rock wrote: »
    asked her if she was treating herself with the nice tip, "what tip?", she asked.
    After some sleuthing, weeks later it turns out the girl who was "collecting the tip", decided to pocket it for herself :pac: :pac::pac::pac::D:p

Totally scabby behaviour; nothing but simple theft.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

for herself :pac: :pac::pac::pac::D:p

This happens to us a lot, someone entrusted to give a tip, shakes your hand instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Advertisement