Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

how much do they want for the cat?

also im sure they got the cat for free like most people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My family member is making them pay a sum of money for ownership of the cat. And they've agreed to pay it. I'm kinda disgusted.

They probably think the sum of money isn't for the cat, it's so they never see them again!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

That's pretty horrible about the cat.

Would you not say something to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Pity these people don't meet someone even worse stinge than them that would bill for looking after the cat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Even the cat knew how stingy they were and therefore emigrated to a new house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

chewed wrote: »

Reminds me of my brother who had a dog for a few months. Poor fella was always starving. He got a tiny container of the cheapest dog food every morning, and that was it. He ran away after the few months. Hope he found a good home.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

Cats are famous for leaving their stingy owners and setting up home elsewhere. They tend to be good judgers of human nature. :)

A few years ago a friend of mine was moving house. The house she was moving to was only across the road, as it was a bigger house, but in the same estate.
    She knew the owners quite well, as they were neighbours for a good few years. Anyway, the deal was going through, but at the last minute, the day before the contracts were to be signed, the other crowd pointed out that there was €30 of heating oil in the tank, and that Anne (my friend) would have to pay them the €30. They were fairly adamant that they wanted payment and implied that they would pull out of the deal unless they were paid.
    Anne decided that for the sake of €30 she'd pay up but it left a fairly bitter taste in the mouth, as you can imagine. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'd have told them to syphon it out and keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Advertisement

I told her at the time that she should have syphoned it out herself and given it to them in a container, but understandably she didn't. Would have been great to see their reaction if she had!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,852 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

My mum told me a story at the weekend which I think fits here.
    When they bought our house, the previous owner took literally every single light fitting in the house....all of them, including lights above mirrors etc.
    That is how stingey they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

gmisk wrote: »
    My mum told me a story at the weekend which I think fits here.
    When they bought our house, the previous owner took literally every single light fitting in the house....all of them, including lights above mirrors etc.
    That is how stingey they were.

Same thing here when my father in law bought his house back in 1992. The previous owners took the kitchen sinks, light fittings, doors and even tried to rip up some of the floors.

I do recall him telling me that the previous owners were a bit strange and apparently before they left they buried their car down the back...
    no one knows why..

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

know a lad who doesn't get ice in the cinema, cause apparantly ya get more in the cup

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    know a lad who doesn't get ice in the cinema, cause apparantly ya get more in the cup

I can see his point. Plus it waters the drink down and makes it flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

yeah but warm coke though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

In Ireland though? It's not Spain, like. It doesn't dramatically warm up in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

The machine chills the drink already, no real need for the ice.

Does it not come out of the machine chilled?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

NufcNavan wrote: »
    My GF and her friend were away a while ago for a spa break a few hours away from where they live. Her friend, in an attempt to show off, says she will drive her daddy's Mercedes as a "treat" for the pair of them. A bit cringey but fair enough. However, on the way there and back she stopped and asked my GF for fuel. I laughed quite a lot when I heard.

Why would she not?

Your girlfriend's stingy for having to be asked in the first place...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

sligojoek wrote: »
    I can see his point. Plus it waters the drink down and makes it flat.

You're concerned about watering down flavoured water?

That reminds me of the late Pete McCarthy. In one of his books he bought a bag of spuds in a pub in Cork. He took them back to where he was staying and boiled them. After eating them he concluded, "They must have been watered with plenty of watered down water.".

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

guy i know cleared out his car booth to save petrol. no spare tyre!!!

Also, taking a leaf out of athletics tracks, he chooses car lane closest to the bend. As in if you notice athletics tracks, the inside lane has less distance, so runners start further back. Guy i know reckons his distances are less for getting the inside of the bend on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

nufcnavan wrote:
    Her friend, in an attempt to show off, says she will drive her daddy's Mercedes as a "treat" for the pair of them. A bit cringey but fair enough

I have rather shamelessly done the same. They are a great car to drive and sooo comfortable. If you enjoy driving, it's a great experience to drive a nice, smooth well-engineered car.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My wife always says that I'm tight-fisted.
    So, to prove her wrong, I brought her out yesterday for some tea and biscuits.
    It was quite exciting, as she had never given blood before.

stolen from https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110170947&postcount=2710

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

My OH, Mr Lemon works in a medium-sized company with a couple of hundred other people, at breaks, one of his colleagues goes around the tables and asks people for scraps, she collects them in a Tupperware box and brings them home for her dog.

She claims she hasn’t bought dog food in months!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

TK Lemon wrote: »
    My OH, Mr Lemon works in a medium-sized company with a couple of hundred other people, at breaks, one of his colleagues goes around the tables and asks people for scraps, she collects them in a Tupperware box and brings them home for her dog. She claims she hasn’t bought dog food in months!

Mr Orange should drop a few comments about saving stuff from the bins and doing his bit for the planet, ergo, no longer stingy :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

You're concerned about watering down flavoured water?

Why would you not be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I had "friends" over from the States a while ago. They were stopping off in Ireland before travelling the rest of Europe. I thought it would be nice to allow them to stay as we've a spare room en suite. Save them on pricey hotel etc. So, that was grand. Got in a few bits and pieces to welcome them - few beers, some stuff for Irish breakfast, snacks etc. Picked them up from the airport and we planned to spend two days together. I had time off so took the opportunity to show then some nice scenic spots and traditional Irish venues for food, drink etc. Had to fill up the car. Fair few taxis around as we had drinks on both nights. Brought them back to the airport when they departed. They literally did not put their hands in their pockets once. Initially I thought it a bit odd but shrugged it off but by the end, I just couldn't believe them. No offer to even put a bit of petrol in the car. On the second night, they got home before us (there were five of us and partner and I had to wait for second taxi). When I got home, they had lashed into the wine etc. On the last night, we (4 of us including my partner) got a taxi home, and when we pulled up to the driveway I made a point of sitting after the meter was tallied and waited and waited... until it got really awkward and my partner paid. I juts couldn't believe them. On top of all that they moaned and groaned about wifi etc. and had the heating and hot water on constantly. Never again. Such stingebags. I didnt want payment from them but to not even pay their share of a taxi or meal/ drinks. I think our friendship has run it's course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

TK Lemon wrote: »
    My OH, Mr Lemon works in a medium-sized company with a couple of hundred other people, at breaks, one of his colleagues goes around the tables and asks people for scraps, she collects them in a Tupperware box and brings them home for her dog.

She claims she hasn’t bought dog food in months!

I would have no problem with this TBH. The food I see go to waste makes me cry so if it is being put to good use rather than going to landfill then why not.

Advertisement