Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With my new VecMulti cart for the Vectrex I get to install the different new homebrew as it's released.
    Delighted then to pop Vectrexagon, a de-make of Super Hexagon onto the Vectrex.
    Very nice indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Seems Sega are releasing a non functioning mini version of the "tower of power" as an accessory for the MD mini.

mega-drive-mini-tower-595669.2.jpg?psnmki

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'd like to get that now. Japan only?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

yup Japan only for now.
    I had preorder option on Amazon JP but I could get Foreign Address to populate, by the time I figured it out, preorders were full. same with play Asia I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Konami's 'big' announcement was.......

A Turbografx Mini!

Also a PC Engine mini and PC Engine Core Grafx mini.

https://twitter.com/RetroDomination/status/1138606135311601664?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Konami ? Did NEC sell the rights at some point ?

Kinda all mini'd out at this point. Holding out for the Gameboy Micro-Mini...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't believe we are finally getting secret of mana 3 n English finally. Always thought it would never happen considering the fan translator said it was one of the most insane coding exercises he ever did.
    Konami ? Did NEC sell the rights at some point ?

Kinda all mini'd out at this point. Holding out for the Gameboy Micro-Mini...

Konami bought Hudson soft years ago who are the copyright holders of the pc engine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Literally no one is going to want the American design of the TG-16, I have one, it's awful!
    Defintely going to get the other two though, look amazing!

Seems Sega are releasing a non functioning mini version of the "tower of power" as an accessory for the MD mini.

mega-drive-mini-tower-595669.2.jpg?psnmki

Needs a knuckles cartridge for extra effect,
    maybe an action reply too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can't believe we are finally getting secret of mana 3 n English finally. Always thought it would never happen considering the fan translator said it was one of the most insane coding exercises he ever did.

Konami bought Hudson soft years ago who are the copyright holders of the pc engine
    Konami " we're bringing out the PC Engine mini.."
    Everybody "Yay!"
    Konami " Its a pachinko machine"
    Everyone " Boo"

European release though , hopefully they dont mean " places in Europe that got the PCE back then "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Needs a knuckles cartridge for extra effect,
    maybe an action reply too

482573.png

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Core Grafix PC Engine is already a PC Engine mini! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

see this also

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Core Grafix PC Engine is already a PC Engine mini! :D

I was wondering if the mini turbo would be bigger than the original pc engine. Still can't believe the made it unncessarily huge back then. Can just picture all these Japanese engineers proud as punch with their efforts on getting it so small and then told "the stupid yanks want it huge"

think all 3 are similar vids EDIT- actually the pc engine one shows some different games

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/11/18662198/turbografx-16-mini-console-announced-konami
    The games announced so far are:

R-Type
    New Adventure Island
    Ninja Spirit
    Ys Book I & II
    Dungeon Explorer
    Alien Crush

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm hitting burnout with all these 'mini' consoles hopping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I don't think these things are aimed at people are on a retro forum. Will be interesting to see if the non-Nintendo ones end up doing decent numbers.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I'd imagine the kind of person who'd still be enthused about the PCE would also be the same kind of person who would probably already own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah I'd imagine the kind of person who'd still be enthused about the PCE would also be the same kind of person who would probably already own one.

over here anyway. I was wondering if the previous poster meant worldwide sales.

Most people I knew into games around the time of these consoles would still never have heard of the pc engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Konami " we're bringing out the PC Engine mini.."
    Everybody "Yay!"
    Konami " Its a pachinko machine"
    Everyone " Boo"

European release though , hopefully they dont mean " places in Europe that got the PCE back then "

Was never really released in Europe officially. It was grey importers buying us machines and modding them for power and 50hz with Hudson/nec just turned a blind eye.

PCE collecting is so insane on the wallet if they slap a few holy grails on there I'd be happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Was never really released in Europe officially. It was grey importers buying us machines and modding them for power and 50hz with Hudson/nec just turned a blind eye.
    Bugger , I could have sworn it got a release in France or the Netherlands?

"It also had a limited release in the United Kingdom and Spain in 1990, known as simply TurboGrafx and based on the American model, while the Japanese model was imported and distributed in France in 1989. "

That explains it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Bugger , I could have sworn it got a release in France or the Netherlands?

"It also had a limited release in the United Kingdom and Spain in 1990, known as simply TurboGrafx and based on the American model, while the Japanese model was imported and distributed in France in 1989. "

That explains it

It was the Telegames crowd, IIRC, that bought up the UK PAL stock (after NEC bottled it) and sold them via mail order, though I think one of the smaller retail chains got a supply from them as well.
    Can't say I had the pleasure at the time, and TBH, I don't know how anyone could fancy a similar styling to the US model over the classic PCE design.

Edit - scan of the box art
    TurboGrafx_UK_Box_Front.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Thought I'd finally get around to posting a few pics from my trip to Toronto last month.

First up is Tilt, a nice little barcade. Leaning more towards games and beers than food. Food is more snacks and less sit down meal. €5 nachos, €8/9 sandwich/burger with fries. Deep fried Mars bar was lovely. $5/€3.20 in, 2 for 1 Monday, $2/€1.30 Tuesday, all free play.

Not a single broken button or joystick. 2:1 parent to kid policy, limited times etc. Had a few booths setup with Mega Drive, NES with Everdrive. GameCube with Mario Kart, a few cocktail cabs, some skeeball, foosball, basketball. One machine had Pandora 5.

Nice selection of pins too. Full list of games on their website for anyone interested :)

4oBUSma.jpg

V4GRGpP.jpg

NtF6Rau.jpg

WIloXI4.jpg

9dIV7DI.jpg

OwDdyhL.jpg

Next is the TV Museum. One large room that you do a loop around going through the history of TV, very interesting to see some of the first TVs and how they work. Probably only took about an hour, a bit longer if you use the app/site audio guide. The GF was tired so didn't stick around too long :)

jjiLNEX.jpg

S8laMYD.jpg

7psd7CN.jpg

UFyXmtG.jpg

FZZJzXd.jpg

Then I saw this in the Scotiabank Theatre after seeing a movie, it was nice to see an older machine among Time Crisis 4, Aliens Extermination, Fast & Furious etc.

tnQKvZB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Great pics! That Barcade looks great! And that old Trinitron looks like one we used to have back in the day!

Master of the Universe

Can almost feel the heat from the glow in those photos, lovely!

I passed on what I thought was an overpriced Trini not so long ago... I think if one comes up again I'll go for it, might be a nice thing to have.
    That said, few of my consoles output RF anymore, aside from the Atari Pong console, and that has it's own, ancient B&W set for those duties.

For anyone that doesn't think M2 are the best I just read that the Secret of Mana 3 translation in the Mana collection is coded into the game at such a low level that hackers have copied the rom from the collection and it works perfectly on a SNES.

For anyone that doesn't think M2 are the best I just read that the Secret of Mana 3 translation in the Mana collection is coded into the game at such a low level that hackers have copied the rom from the collection and it works perfectly on a SNES.

Great writeup here on what potentially goes into translating a games text. Earthbound was a complete pig it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Funny timing on that house of the dead midi cabinet, looking at one right now :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I didn't even know there was a House of the Dead midi cabinet, it's gorgeous!

Advertisement