Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Didn't someone here do up a Dino King cab? I was looking for a picture of it if anyone knows which one I'm talking about.
    I think it was Fantasy Zone decals

Oh I think thats my one ? Well it’s mine now ;) It was Mozie that did all the work fixing it up though I just bought it off him !

Edit : found a photo from when I got it.

1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'll always remember (!) a great quote something along the lines of;

'When you remember something, you're not actually remembering the event/thing itself, you're remembering the last time you remembered it'

Oliver Sacks had written a cracking set of books on neurology and neuro-pathology, with wonderful stories recounting the experiences of patients in his care.
    Some of their stories reveal the bizarre normal function of the mind and how it takes little to tip them into a strange place, and you with it.

The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat should be read by everyone, and the rest of his books are amazing, he wrote an excellent one too on music and the pathologies around it and the human mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Mistook_His_Wife_for_a_Hat

Check out the synopsis for chapter two
    "The Lost Mariner", about Jimmie G., who has anterograde amnesia (the loss of the ability to form new memories) due to Korsakoff's syndrome. He can remember nothing of his life since the end of World War II, including events that happened only a few minutes ago. He believes it is still 1945 (the segment covers his life in the 1970s and early 1980s), and seems to behave as a normal, intelligent young man aside from his inability to remember most of his past and the events of his day-to-day life. He struggles to find meaning, satisfaction, and happiness in the midst of constantly forgetting what he is doing from one moment to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Oh I think thats my one ? Well it’s mine now ;) It was Mozie that did all the work fixing it up though I just bought it off him !

Edit : found a photo from when I got it.

1.jpg

Thanks so much for that! I couldn't find it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭Inviere

With the exception of the colour reproduction issues, the new definitive way to play Virtua Racing is on the Switch. Hopefully they can address the colour problems with a patch. M2 are just wizards.

Blood is back, touched up by NightDive studios
    https://www.pcgamer.com/blood-fresh-supply-pc/
    Fantastic Build Engine title if you've not not played before, costs €8 but I had a 50% off coupon for owning the original version on Steam
    50% off also on GOG if you own it there as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just listened to the retronauts episode about Rebecca Heineman.

Who the hell is that you might ask... well I said the same thing and was preparing for a very boring episode.

Anyway the episode was anything but. It was one hour of an amazing woman talking about her career in games. She went from living in a dumpster to reverse engineering the Atari 2600 with no training to having one of the most prolific yet unheralded careers in videogames. She says her mobygames page has her involved in more games than any developer other than John Romero.

Anyway well worth a listen:

https://retronauts.com/article/1167/episode-211-explores-the-career-of-rebecca-heineman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Blood is back, touched up by NightDive studios
    https://www.pcgamer.com/blood-fresh-supply-pc/
    Fantastic Build Engine title if you've not not played before, costs €8 but I had a 50% off coupon for owning the original version on Steam
    50% off also on GOG if you own it there as well.
    Had about €2.60 in wallet funds left over at GOG, so on top of the discount from already owning the old game, I managed to get it for only €1.89.

Had about €2.60 in wallet funds left over at GOG, so on top of the discount from already owning the old game, I managed to get it for only €1.89.
    Man, I was similar but I had only a euro in the wallet, easiest sale ever still. Love this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭Inviere

Fan of burgers, chips, cocktails, arcade cabs, consoles, crt's, and that kinda thing? Enjoy about 40mins of wonderful KimJustice content

Announcing 10 new titles:
    More Mega drive mini games
    - Mega Man®: The Wily Wars
    - Street Fighter II’®: Special Champion Edition
    - Sonic Spinball
    - Phantasy Star IV
    - Beyond Oasis
    - Ghouls 'N Ghosts®
    - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
    - Golden Axe
    - Vectorman
    - Wonder Boy in Monster World
    https://www.destructoid.com/rare-us-release-mega-man-the-wily-wars-returns-on-the-sega-genesis-mini-553851.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Announcing 10 new titles:
    More Mega drive mini games
    - Mega Man®: The Wily Wars
    - Street Fighter II’®: Special Champion Edition
    - Sonic Spinball
    - Phantasy Star IV
    - Beyond Oasis
    - Ghouls 'N Ghosts®
    - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
    - Golden Axe
    - Vectorman
    - Wonder Boy in Monster World
    https://www.destructoid.com/rare-us-release-mega-man-the-wily-wars-returns-on-the-sega-genesis-mini-553851.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Especially now that they have included SFII, it's amazing how the Japanese Mega Drive Mini will ship with two six button pads, and they're still only including three button pads with the Genesis and selling the six button pads separately, which will most likely be the case over here as well. Talk about gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Relikk wrote: »
    Especially now that they have included SFII, it's amazing how the Japanese Mega Drive Mini will ship with two six button pads, and they're still only including three button pads with the Genesis and selling the six button pads separately, which will most likely be the case over here as well. Talk about gouging.

Ah, it all comes down to nostalgia really. The three button batman Megadrive pad is synonymous with the console here. 80-90% of people would buy a mini with a 6 button pad in Europe and probably wonder why the controller isn't the one they remembered.

At least if people want the 6 button pad the option is available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah, it all comes down to nostalgia really. The three button batman Megadrive pad is synonymous with the console here. 80-90% of people would buy a mini with a 6 button pad in Europe and probably wonder why the controller isn't the one they remembered.

The same logic could be applied to Japan as well, though, and the Mega Drive was out for nearly two years more over there. Also, the six button pad is, in my opinion, a much better controller than the original three button pad. They should at least include one of each, and sell both separately. Or sell two separate packages, one with three button controllers and one with six button controllers.

Looks like I'll be ordering a Japanese version from somewhere, anyway.

Master of the Universe

Relikk wrote: »
    The same logic could be applied to Japan as well, though, and the Mega Drive was out for nearly two years more over there. Also, the six button pad is, in my opinion, a much better controller than the original three button pad. They should at least include one of each, and sell both separately. Or sell two separate packages, one with three button controllers and one with six button controllers.

Looks like I'll be ordering a Japanese version from somewhere, anyway.

The 6 button pad came with Japanese Megadrive II models where as the PAL Megadrive II still had the 3 button pad, but with new dome D pads which are more responsive and last longer than the gel ones.

People bought 6 button pads additionally in Europe, which meant they were far less common. Your average nostalgia gamer who these are aimed at has probably never seen one - whereas your average Japanese gamer would associate the 6 button pad with the Megadrive by default.

G40106162001.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Time to import one, or at least when they launch

Master of the Universe

See Bitmap books are releasing an Ultimate History of Metal Slug book in September?

'To help achieve this goal, SNK has offered unprecedented access to its vast archives of concept artwork and illustrations, some of which is being made publically available for the first time.'

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/blogs/news/metal-slug-the-ultimate-history-coming-soon

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well that's a pre-order for me anyway

Just seen this on eBay

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312604595020

It's a blast city, but take a look at the picture of the chassis, anyone know what the black goo is?

Master of the Universe

Did a bit of a search, so it's a Nanao MS2931, which apparently suffers from a problem called the 'black goo of death' :eek:

The 2931 is without question the most complicated and difficult monitors to repair , they suffer the much talked about "Black Goo of Death" meaning the Horizontal Drive Choke has leaked the black resin that should encapsulate this coil all over the chassis , Heat over time has caused this original epoxy resin to break down and become a sticker mess like black tar.
    Once this stuff leaks out it becomes more and more conductive and corrosive , either eating away tracks of shorting out the horizontal drive section , around the same time this failure occurs all the tuning capacitors in the input signal mixing section also leak their contents all over the chassis , this stuff is even more corrosive and eats away at the very fine traces in that area. , most of the components effected are SMD's , a couple of them made exclusively for Nanao Corp which no longer exists.

No wonder the listing is "sold as seen" haha

Master of the Universe

Bit disappointing to see to be honest, I've always rated Yaton really highly.

See the Aero he has for $400?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Sega-AERO-Cabinet-COMPLETE-WORKS-037/123673631912?hash=item1ccb85dca8:g:zj8AAOSw8mtcfHL~

I'm sure once you factor in shipping and import taxes it wouldnt be far off what Ronnie would charge though!

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw it, definitely would end up costing a lot more than that. TBH for me it's cyberlead or bust from now on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Thats a pretty strong line up for the Mega Drive Mini, i wish the same could be said about the Playstation Classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I think there's going to be a serious demand for the Japanese Mega Drive classic. I tried to get one on the day the pre-orders opened on Amazon and they were sold out when I got up at 5am. Hopefully they'll make enough to go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I know there are a few M2 fans in here. Saw a documentary about them just dropped today looking forward to watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc5DlOkOcU4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So after 3 moves in 9months I've decided to do the unthinkable. I'm going full emulation and installing retroarch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So after 3 moves in 9months I've decided to do the unthinkable. I'm going full emulation and installing retroarch.
    STRIP THIS MAN OF THIS MOD STATUS!

So that Beetle retroarch core for PS1 is surprisingly accurate. It even (annoyingly) has bugs that only manifest on real hardware like the King's Field save glitch. Took me forever to find the patch to the fan translation patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Very excited!
    Cotton series to get a reboot by BEEP, Sharp X68000 version of Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams to see re-sale
    http://segabits.com/blog/2019/05/19/cotton-series-to-get-a-reboot-by-beep-sharp-x68000-version-of-cotton-fantastic-night-dreams-to-see-re-sale/

• Advertisement

Very excited!
    Cotton series to get a reboot by BEEP, Sharp X68000 version of Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams to see re-sale
    http://segabits.com/blog/2019/05/19/cotton-series-to-get-a-reboot-by-beep-sharp-x68000-version-of-cotton-fantastic-night-dreams-to-see-re-sale/

I have a dodgy repro of Cotton on the MD, the into the screen one, lots of fun.

I'm thinking of picking up the Castlevania collection on Switch, anyone buy it hereabouts?
    I'd love a physical copy but it seems they will be digital only.
    Still, €19.99 seems like a good deal.
    Apparently the Japanese version is €6 more expensive but hosts the better Japanese editions.

Advertisement