Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Yeah it's a cool cabinet, "don't enter the house alone!". There's a house dead 2 right next to it, standard upright but bloody massive in person, weighs 500 ton

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Great writeup here on what potentially goes into translating a games text. Earthbound was a complete pig it seems.

Apparently Seiken Densetsu 3 was even worse as the entire script was encrypted in a way to try and squeeze as much memory as possible out of the game. the fan translator said it was an absolute nightmare. Amazing that M2 probably went through that process to translate the game for a retro collection when the reason Square wouldn't release it as a full game for years was that it would cost too much to hack the encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

beejee wrote: »
    Yeah it's a cool cabinet, "don't enter the house alone!". There's a house dead 2 right next to it, standard upright but bloody massive in person, weighs 500 ton

Yeah it's a hefty one alright. 25 inch monitor in it I think?

My favourite of the HODs really. That sit-down cab is probably the best version of it to hit the arcade

• Registered Users Posts: 34,446 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They still had a sit down deluxe HOTD2 in Bray bowl the last time I was there.

Only bad thing about them really is, with the rear projection screens in them, they're mostly all unplayable at this stage. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What kind of money would you be looking at for a small cab, either HotD 1 or 2? (Can't remember if I've asked this before...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What kind of money would you be looking at for a small cab, either HotD 1 or 2? (Can't remember if I've asked this before...)

Problem is rapidly becoming not " how much" but "how"!

Been on the lookout for a hotd cabinet for a couple years with no joy, getting really scarce now. Problem is solved at last. Have yet to see a virtua cop, even rarer, in my experience so far

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Any of ye gents able to point me in the direction of the best cable to get for a PS2 on a modern TV? I have scart but no component input on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    Any of ye gents able to point me in the direction of the best cable to get for a PS2 on a modern TV? I have scart but no component input on it.

You can get PS2 HDMI adapters now, that'd be your least expensive option.

It looks like Ikaruga is going to get another physical release. I'm looking forward to this one.

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/1139563194387767297

Master of the Universe

It looks like Ikaruga is going to get another physical release. I'm looking forward to this one.

https://twitter.com/nicalis/status/1139563194387767297

The Switch needs some kind of Tate mode stand, would be a great little console for shmups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm a huge fan of the Spectrum and a big fan of Mr. Do! So this is quite exciting news.

There's an absolutely brilliant version just been released. The music is fantastic on the 128k version. Not charging for their remake either.

https://twitter.com/MarkRJones1970/status/1139642477781164037?s=20

Mark Jones was an artist at Ocean bitd, and hails from the rose of the shires Northamptonshire.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Never seen this before, mate working over at E3.

Might be hard to fit through the front door.

e431c358-c1d7-4cb9-bf53-49ad25509fd9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

RasTa wrote: »
    Never seen this before, mate working over at E3.

Might be hard to fit through the front door.

e431c358-c1d7-4cb9-bf53-49ad25509fd9.jpg

That giant 60" Arcade 1up MSH cab is ridiculous.

They're releasing a home cab with MSH, X-men: COTA and Punisher.

They're also doing a 4 player cab for TMNT 1&3.

o1s1n wrote: »
    The Switch needs some kind of Tate mode stand, would be a great little console for shmups.

There's always the Flip Grip. I don't have one myself but I heard they're very good.

maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.fangamer.com/products/flip-grip

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got one of these a few months ago.
    The Flip Grip for the Switch.
    A nice little holder that lets you play Tate mode games either in the hand or with a card as a stand so you can play with your arcade stick or similar.
    Kickstarter Flip-Grip

flipgrip6-fs8_1024x1024.png?v=1531192850

flipgrip4-fs8_1024x1024.png?v=1531192850

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just hook it up to something you can rotate. ;)

But yeah it has a decent library of shmups these days, grand little machine for them.

Might be a long shot here but there was a shooter in the M2 Complete Works documentary that I'm trying to suss out. You control a ship and it's in the style of Space Harrier perspective. I think it's the Mega Drive generation...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Might be a long shot here but there was a shooter in the M2 Complete Works documentary that I'm trying to suss out. You control a ship and it's in the style of Space Harrier perspective. I think it's the Mega Drive generation...

Do you have a screenshot or a minute of the video?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Think it might be this
    Galaxy Force II, remade for the 3DS by M2 as part of the Sega Ages 3D series, a conversion of the arcade original.

This is the original Megadrive version

Master of the Universe

Cheers lads! Didn't know that flip grip existed, will pick one up.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just hook it up to something you can rotate. ;)

But yeah it has a decent library of shmups these days, grand little machine for them.

Attach a Joy con to each side of a rotated PVM? Nothing can go wrong :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

You can get PS2 HDMI adapters now, that'd be your least expensive option.

Excellent. Do you know of any in particular or does it matter?

I ordered a cheap 5 quid PS2 scart cable on eBay to test out anyway.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Think it might be this
    Galaxy Force II, remade for the 3DS by M2 as part of the Sega Ages 3D series, a conversion of the arcade original.

This is the original Megadrive version

That's the one! It was late last night so didn't have a chance to scrub through an hours worth of video :D

Attach a Joy con to each side of a rotated PVM? Nothing can go wrong :pac:

Maybe a rotatable monitor,
    https://www.adverts.ie/monitors/hp-compaq-la2205wg-lcd-monitor-22-series/16291248

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭Inviere

Nor retro but certainly arcade,
    Radirgy Swag is out on Switch, from the Japanese eShop.
    Cost me about €16 or so.

Only thing is the borders on the left and right are a little big, particularly in portable mode, and I don't see a Tate mode, but then I don't read japanese!
    Might take a few screen shots and run it through Google Translate!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't like Radirgy on the Dreamcast so not sure about that game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Didn't like Radirgy on the Dreamcast so not sure about that game.

I'm hoping it is a good sign, maybe we'll see some more Shmups making their way to the format, hoping for Cave to make an appearance.

Who knows....

Maybe Under Defeat... ;)

Are Cave still around? I remember they were under severe financial pressure and haven't seen any other steam ports of their games in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Just looking at their wiki they'd 158 employees in 2012. That seems like an awful lot for such a niche genre.

• Advertisement

Just looking at their wiki they'd 158 employees in 2012. That seems like an awful lot for such a niche genre.

They did a lot of mobile games then and ramped up that division. I think they were also still supporting Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine at that time which was a MMO.

Advertisement