Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see Token have Sega Rally now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Owner of Retrogaming . ie stepping back if anyone's interested in it https://www.facebook.com/708939615821992/posts/2302599783122626/

I dealt with them two years ago at that gaming con in Dublin.
    Seemed like a nice fella too, though the collection wasn't what you would call deep, all the standard fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I dealt with them two years ago at that gaming con in Dublin.
    Seemed like a nice fella too, though the collection wasn't what you would call deep, all the standard fare.
    Yeah I get you.
    Never met them myself but since they were looking for someone to take over thought someone on here might like to. Added it into the post just incase no one checks the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I see Token have Sega Rally now.
    Wait, were you and I in the same room together? Like, around quarter to 5 today? Also, I didn't know Token had a whole other room.

Wait, were you and I in the same room together? Like, around quarter to 5 today? Also, I didn't know Token had a whole other room.

No haha, they mentioned it on Facebook. Have they added more room? It's much needed.

• Advertisement

No haha, they mentioned it on Facebook. Have they added more room? It's much needed.
    There's another room that I only came across yesterday that had a fair bit more bar space. You see the gigantic VHS tape cases on the wall when you enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Didn't they expand into the second building?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Went to the Barcade in Cork yesterday. They've a fun selection. My pet peeve of some games being completely inaudible still in effect however.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Went to the Barcade in Cork yesterday. They've a fun selection. My pet peeve of some games being completely inaudible still in effect however.

they should have headphone jacks with volume control, wish they had them in cinemas too. I would not always use them but if there were nattering idiots you could at least put them in.

It would cost very little to make & install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

+1 on the lack of audio in these places, absolute killer for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Would you really want an original cab defaced with an audio jack though?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,447 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Would you really want an original cab defaced with an audio jack though?

Jamma fingerboard between the harness and the PCB with a cable taking audio to a 3.5mm jack.

Mount the jack into a button plug (!) Filling an unused button hole on the control panel if it has one.

I have the above as a setup at home and it works great. Doesn't deface anything.

Really can't see it in an arcade though. Sound should be pumping from all the machines, it's Intrinsic to the atmosphere.

Is it that hard to set things to a moderate volume you can hear that doesn't blare over the others? A bit of the issue with these places is they're all hip exposed concrete everywhere so I guess if you'd a full house and all the machines on it'd sounds hellish.

Master of the Universe

One of the first things that tends to go on arcade pcbs is the sound. Might be just a case that the games themselves being borked.

I just saw the posted last week about their expansion, so it's open! Wonder what it's like now and if they've added any games.

Hopefully their deal hasn't gone up in price, everything is so bloody expensive in Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Just tried sonic Mania for the first time today and it was my first time discovering just how good the PS4 d-pad is. It was my first time using the d-pad to control movement on the PS4.
    Feels much more comfortable compared to the PS3 d-pad and especially the vita dpad.

The Xbox one dpad feels a bit filmsy / plasticky in comparison.

I just saw the posted last week about their expansion, so it's open! Wonder what it's like now and if they've added any games.

Hopefully their deal hasn't gone up in price, everything is so bloody expensive in Dublin :(

I know they were building up more machines. I tried to get in contact to see about swaps and whatnot, never heard anything back. Must be happy importing machines from the states?

Curious to see what else they have alright.

Doge wrote: »
    Just tried sonic Mania for the first time today and it was my first time discovering just how good the PS4 d-pad is. It was my first time using the d-pad to control movement on the PS4.
    Feels much more comfortable compared to the PS3 d-pad and especially the vita dpad.

The Xbox one dpad feels a bit filmsy / plasticky in comparison.

Its a solid joypad all round. Still have to pay attention when looking for the "start" button though, getting mixed up with the options and share buttons!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS4 d-pad is fine but feels like an absolute god send after years of awful d-pads on playstation joypads. I hate that they got praised for their d-pads because the 360 d-pad was so god awful but in comparison to Nintendo and Sega d-pads they were garbage. The PS4 one at least feels way more reliable without that nasty sponginess and unreliable diagonals.

I think the resurgence of Vs fighting games a decade ago probably helped motivate the console manufacturers to develop d-pads that aren't trash.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The PS4 d-pad is fine but feels like an absolute god send after years of awful d-pads on playstation joypads. I hate that they got praised for their d-pads because the 360 d-pad was so god awful but in comparison to Nintendo and Sega d-pads they were garbage. The PS4 one at least feels way more reliable without that nasty sponginess and unreliable diagonals.
    THANK YOU! I tried playing the Neo Geo Samurai Shodown on the PS3 the other day, and I just couldn't cope with how awful the PS3 d-pad felt. Had the same description for it as well.

Master of the Universe

Any of you lads find your thumbs are getting a bit old to be using D pads for fighting games?

I can't do it at all anymore. Thumbs would be wreaked after a couple of rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Any of you lads find your thumbs are getting a bit old to be using D pads for fighting games?

Only trouble I had was playing was the rereleased of Katamari on Switch portable mode. I thought I'd get a callus on my thumbs like I have from pencils (tbf it's tiiiiny)
    sewingfinger.gif?w=584

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »

Grand with a Saturn pad. It's just nobody knows how to make a good d-pad anymore, even Nintendo ****ed the Switch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

beejee wrote: »
    I know they were building up more machines. I tried to get in contact to see about swaps and whatnot, never heard anything back. Must be happy importing machines from the states?

Curious to see what else they have alright.

I was talking to one of them a while ago and they are having some serious trouble with support for their brand new pinball from the states.

I wouldn't be a fan of importing cabs from the states and getting hit with import duties anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Duty wouldn't necessarily be an issue for a company that is tax registered and the shipping costs are not bad. Support definitely would be a problem.

I'll have to pop into token again, haven't been in around 3 months. I hear they have a bubble bobble and I can still just about 1cc that game. More than I can say for time crisis 2 though. I used to 1cc that game all the time back in the 90's and get all the bonus stage yellow men but last time in token didn't get past the second stage on the single credit. Slow reactions in old age :D

Anyone ever play time crisis 5?

I was talking to one of them a while ago and they are having some serious trouble with support for their brand new pinball from the states.

I wouldn't be a fan of importing cabs from the states and getting hit with import duties anyway :pac:

Yeah I wouldn't be mad about shipping stuff that distance. I worry enough about getting stuff down the road, never mind a cargo ship infested with arcade-smashing apes for weeks

Duty wouldn't necessarily be an issue for a company that is tax registered and the shipping costs are not bad. Support definitely would be a problem.

I'll have to pop into token again, haven't been in around 3 months. I hear they have a bubble bobble and I can still just about 1cc that game. More than I can say for time crisis 2 though. I used to 1cc that game all the time back in the 90's and get all the bonus stage yellow men but last time in token didn't get past the second stage on the single credit. Slow reactions in old age :D

Anyone ever play time crisis 5?

Had a go of it just a couple weeks ago. The lack of crt means its the wii-mote tracking thing, essentially. Not a fan!

Looks good though :)

Master of the Universe

Bloody cats!

I had my laptop on the bedside locker. Unfortunately it was hanging off the edge.

Cat jumped up on the locker, propelling the laptop up into the air and down a storey into the sitting room below.

Not quite an elevator shaft but it immediately reminded me of that situation :D

Rather amazingly, it still works perfectly. Okay so the screen is totally shattered and completely buggered but the laptop itself, apart from a crack in the case, is grand.

So if you ever wanted a laptop would withstand a 16 foot drop Lenovo is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ I was expecting to read that the laptop had dropped down onto one of the Candy's, smashing through the screen, into the bottom of the cab, smashing the psu, causing an electrical short, sparking a small fire that had to be put out with a fire blanket. That'd would've been more in line with an o1s1n destruction-story :o

Advertisement