Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Over the Hedge may look better, but Monster House is still a better film imo.

Over the Hedge soundtrack is great though, love Ben Folds (but prefer his 'five' years tbh).

Also love the Curious George soundtrack!

That was the soundtrack to my young fella's early years.
    Must have watched the film at least twenty times, bought the CD and nearly wore that out!
    Pure gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Over the Hedge soundtrack is great though, love Ben Folds (but prefer his 'five' years tbh).

Also love the Curious George soundtrack!
    Depends what you're in the mood for imo, I loved the Curious George soundtrack but didn't actually see the movie.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Over the Hedge has... the benefit, compared to more recent efforts, of not being fast tracked into a sequel.
    I thought Megamind was great fun as well, around that time, not to mention Monsters Vs Aliens, which was a blast too.
    I was glad if that they didn't give it a sequel, it was great as it is, I'm glad it's under the radar, didn't they give the squirrel his own film or did I dream it? .
    Megamind and MvsA are 2 movies I thought were gonna be absolutely crap and really liked them! MvsA was on over the weekend but missed the start, would love to see again.
    Cloudy with a chance of meatballs I actually don't like anymore, my nephews watched it on loop, that and Free Birds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs I actually don't like anymore, my nephews watched it on loop, that and Free Birds

I think the sequel to Cloudy was better, imho.
    But they all pale before the likes of Coraline!

Apparently They Might Be Giants made an entire soundtrack worth of music for the film, but they ended up only using this one song!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think the sequel to Cloudy was better, imho.
    But they all pale before the likes of Coraline!

Apparently They Might Be Giants made an entire soundtrack worth of music for the film, but they ended up only using this one song!

Love Laika films. They always do something interesting. Coraline and Paranorman are on my Halloween playlist every year (along with with Monster House unsurprisingly), I know Box Trolls wasn't for everyone but I really liked that, just reminded me of something Jeunet and Caro would do.
    Kubo was very moving, and looked brilliant. Haven't seen Missing Link yet but looking forward to it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Love Laika films. They always do something interesting. Coraline and Paranorman are on my Halloween playlist every year (along with with Monster House unsurprisingly), I know Box Trolls wasn't for everyone but I really liked that, just reminded me of something Jeunet and Caro would do.
    Kubo was very moving, and looked brilliant. Haven't seen Missing Link yet but looking forward to it.
    Love Coraline too, Box Trolls and Kubo are in my watch list.
    Paranorman just makes me bawl, I've to watch it on my own :pac: I absolutely adore that movie, DON'T MAKE ME THROW THIS HUMMUS IT'S SPICY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kubo was fantastic, really worth watching the making of just to see the level of work that went into the animation.

I thought the main big baddie thing towards the end was CGI until seeing it was a giant stop animation model in the documentary :eek:

You guys see Isle of Dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Haven't seen Missing Link yet but looking forward to it.
    It's already out here, and I've seen it. It was as pretty good movie whose main theme questions the thought behind elitist boys only clubs. You'll know what I'm talking about when you see it.

o1s1n wrote: »
    You guys see Isle of Dogs?
    I loved it but I love FMrF too, that's like the film I pick to put on to be background noise but need to come back but everything down when the Rat is on.
    I'm a general Wed Anderson fan anyway, I love that you could just do a colour chart and know the film, I think CiDeRmAn is also a fan of Moonrise Kingdom too I think (which had Bruce Willis too)

I loved it but I love FMrF too, that's like the film I pick to put on to be background noise but need to come back but everything down when the Rat is on.
    I'm a general Wed Anderson fan anyway, I love that you could just do a colour chart and know the film, I think CiDeRmAn is also a fan of Moonrise Kingdom too I think (which had Bruce Willis too)

Moonrise Kingdom is probably one of my favourite all-time movies!
    Just brilliant, from top to tail.

april-30th-is-there-something-special-about-it-happy-mgs2-20517408.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

..cultured man, with a great taste in music right there .. :)
    It also had the William Shatner version of Rocking the Suburbs which I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

So the sonic movie is getting some some redesigning after criticism and fans posting their own mockups and fixes all over twitter

https://news.sky.com/story/sonic-film-director-promises-to-change-hedgehogs-design-after-online-backlash-11709930

In the last 6 months i've revisited a few games from my childhood, not too uncommon an occurence here i'd say, but the thing is i've completely dreamt up certain aspects of two games in particular, Breath Of Fire 3 and Another World.
    Breath of Fire 3 had two secret side missions, both located in the Desert Of Death, designed for near the end of the game high level characters. I remember venturing into one of those areas accidentally and being quickly destroyed. It was a haunted mansion with ghosts not unlike the ones encountered early in the game in the McNeil mansion, just much much stronger and some haunted candleabras I saw when first entering this new mansion. Upon replaying the game I said I'd tackle these hidden areas and finally see everything the game has to offer. I pulled up gamefaqs to get the destinations as they were quite hard to find, you needed to follow stars in the desert for x amount of days, same as the normal way of navigating the desert.

To my surprise, the highest rated walkthrough had no information on these secret areas, so I checked the second, nothing. Same with the third.
    Quite perplexed at this stage, I went searching for the original walkthrough by Prima or whoever, that was released in 97 or 98 and again, nothing. Turns out I had completely imagined these side areas. The strangest thing is I could tell you exactly where I first heard of these secret areas. It was in this PS1 magazine that was aimed more at late teens to adult, had swearing and such, and the cheat section was "written" by a glamour model with no shortage of sexual innuendo and pictures to go along with it. I even remember Mission Impossible was the cover game of that particular issue, but it was all nonsense I dreamt up and believed for around 20 years.

My memory of Another World isn't as extreme but odd nonetheless. I'll spoiler here as its in relation to the end
    When lester gets trashed by the final enemy and kills him with the laser I remember being able to get back on my feet and escaping with buddy. They find the flying animal and Buddy and Lester realise this is where they part ways. Lester puts his hand up and makes the same wave gesture he makes at the start of the game except this time it's reciprocated, instead of getting him shot. Lester then mounts the flying thing and escapes alone while Buddy stays behind. If you've played Another World then you know this isn't what happened, instead, Buddy pilots the creature while Lester is unable to do anything, still recovering from his beating and the pair fly off into the unknown

Can ye relate to any of this or am I just an oddball? Have you ever dreamt up completely false memories of games (or anything else for that matter) and believed them for extremely long periods of time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Maybe you are misremembering the game. Perhaps it was breath of fire 4. Maybe even Grandia which it sounds quite like.

Not misremembering the game, hated Grandia and i'm only after starting bof4, which is what spurred me on to post:pac:

It's the strangest thing, like I remember specifically, it was the characters from 3 and exact art style, just this particular part was a figment of my seemingly overactive imagination

This has happened to me before with different things, really wierd

https://mandelaeffect.com/

91Ql8+oO67L._RI_.jpg

Master of the Universe

One of my sisters absolutely wreaks my head and thinks there's truth in that.

'it was Sex in the City and now the Mandela Effect had changed it to Sex and the City!!'

'What's more likely, that some unknown rupture has happened in space and time, renaming 90s TV shows...or your memory is ****e?'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Inviere

'it was Sex in the City and now the Mandela Effect had changed it to Sex and the City!!'

'What's more likely, that some unknown rupture has happened in space and time, renaming 90s TV shows...or your memory is ****e?'

No it's just that you're native to this universe, where your sister is the one that has gone between realities.......:o

Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    No it's just that you're native to this universe, where your sister is the one that has gone between realities.......:o

Ah yes, she must come from that reality where there's a chapter on Sex in/and The City' in A Brief History of Time.

It's the reality where Stephen Hawking is still alive and regularly goes for drinks with Carrie and the girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just noticed this is on over here tomorrow

https://www.playexpomanchester.com/whats-on

Worth it for £20?

I was only here last bank holiday weekend so not sure if worth it

https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/

• Advertisement

It's more about how we process experiences into memories, as well as how the mind fills gaps in those experiences with logic and does it seamlessly but, sometimes, makes mistakes.
    Also, statistically inevitable co-incidence being mistaken for clairvoyance or other variations on woo.

I remember reading a big article about a study on memory. It was really good, the jist was that essentially your brain pushes old memory's into storage and then just accesses the main points of it when you think about it. So it's like watching a movie and then years later readying the wikipedia entry on it. It gets really ****ed up when your brain then moves the main points of it into storage and that becomes your go to on it. So now the Wikipedia page is the main memory and your brain will just scan the main points of that to access the memory. So easy to see how memory can be degraded over time and misremembering is really easy to do.

I guarantee the article explains it better than I can.

There was a big section on how out memories can lie to us aswell, but I forget most of what that said.......or did the article even exist at all?!?!

Master of the Universe

I'll always remember (!) a great quote something along the lines of;

'When you remember something, you're not actually remembering the event/thing itself, you're remembering the last time you remembered it'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

RasTa wrote: »
    Just noticed this is on over here tomorrow

https://www.playexpomanchester.com/whats-on

Worth it for £20?

I was only here last bank holiday weekend so not sure if worth it

https://www.arcadeclub.co.uk/

I went to Play Expo Blackpool last year and enjoyed it a lot. The selection of arcade machines won't be quite as extensive as Arcade Club but they've got a ton of consoles, computers, and interesting panels as well I felt like I definitely got my money's worth. Got to have pints and chat with Kim Justice, Mr Biffo, DJ Slope, Backofficeshow etc. as well which is perhaps the benefit of the Blackpool one its less mobbed than london/Manchester.

I'll always remember (!) a great quote something along the lines of;

'When you remember something, you're not actually remembering the event/thing itself, you're remembering the last time you remembered it'

I should just delete my post now because that sums it up.

A copy of a copy repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Upgraded the retro corner of the room today...

Streamlined the look a bit and added some extra desk space for working on projects.

What do you retro lads and lassies think?

59051869_10219255157232518_4237168198815842304_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a12008fb57520158750f425419656133&oe=5D29B637

*looks at pictures*

zCiPeLS.gif

Richard Garriot aka Lord British's dad Owen has died,

Never knew he was an astronaut, and pretty cool at that
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/owen-garriott-obituary-hlw7bgt79

Didn't someone here do up a Dino King cab? I was looking for a picture of it if anyone knows which one I'm talking about.
    I think it was Fantasy Zone decals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

While I do not believe in any nonsense about cern I was certainly amazed by some of them.

If replying to these please use spoilers tags.

From the James Bond film moonraker this is Jaw's girlfriend Dolly, spot anything unusual in the first picture?

Dte1N1aWwAAGs1g.jpg

DnL60b3VYAA7iTD.jpg

and anything wrong with these A team vans?
    rc_a-team_van.jpg

1983_gmc_vandura___black_ateam_sr___buby_by_deanomite17703cotd-d8ua3je.jpg

Street%20style%20Druck%20Vorne%20VAN%20A-TEAM%20BUS%20HOODIE%20Sweatshirt%20S%20M%20L%20XL%20XXL%20XXXL%20Black%20SKCEQC_0.jpg

Or the monopoly man?
    enhanced-8193-1493395759-1.jpg

Advertisement