Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The western versions of these Konami collections are getting patched down the road so you can choose the Japanese versions of the games.

Until then the Castlevania collection still isn't bad. CV1 and 3 are made really tough compared to the Famicom versions and while CV3 on Famicom has the extra sound channels the western version has really good renditions of the music, some of which I prefer.

The arcade collection fairs worse with the western versions of those games being pure sadistic.

At least they are getting fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So after 3 moves in 9months I've decided to do the unthinkable. I'm going full emulation and installing retroarch.
    So that Beetle retroarch core for PS1 is surprisingly accurate. It even (annoyingly) has bugs that only manifest on real hardware like the King's Field save glitch. Took me forever to find the patch to the fan translation patch.

I've been trying to tell you this for months man :o It's still not perfect, and has a ways to go, but it's definitely moved forward from what you probably remember with the windows versions of ePSXe and the like.

RetroArch is a truly wonderful concept, a frontend that shares unified settings for display, controls, sound, etc...and that allows you to just swap out 'cores' to handle the different systems. It's not exactly intuitive when it comes to custom configs, config overrides, and the like, but once it clicks, it clicks. If you need any tips an any of the more advanced features, just ask :)

What are you running it on?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just running it on my PC as that's all I've decided to carry around with me. Have SNES currently set up in the parents with PS3 and 360.

Have a i5 3.5 GHz with a 1070.

I just messed around with it last night with the basic install.

Kind of not enjoying many new games lately. Only really enjoyed Resi 2 remake and Ace Combat 7 this year and both of those are delightfully old school so been playing a lot of old school games or Nintendo switch stuff. So emulation really suits me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭Inviere

Have a i5 3.5 GHz with a 1070.

More than enough for some some of the nice shaders. Have you messed about with those yet? And don't forget to look at the Run Ahead feature too (be sure to configure it on a per-game basis, and save a config override for each game because the settings will differ per game)

I just got it working last night then played a small bit of King's Field. Then got annoyed that the save bug was in it and it took ages to find the author's patch for his translation. By then it was bed time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Now there's a ZX Spectrum emulator for the Vita I'm a happy chap. Probably won't surpass the ease of the DS emulation of zxds (or ds81 for zx81 emulation) but it's nice to have plenty of hand held spectrum options.

https://store.brewology.com/vita/ahomebrew.php?brewid=714

Edit: in the sober light of day, this news is less interesting!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Some original GTA style game has released on most platforms recently, looks like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Eurogamer just flagged up like 20 seconds of previously unseen Earthbound 64/Mother 3 footage. It's always gonna look like dog sick and you're always gonna be happy they restarted on the GBA, but god damn if it's not fascinating to get glimpses at this thing.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-01-rare-footage-of-the-cancelled-earthbound-64-emerges-online

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just went on eBay for a browse of some Japanese Mega Drive games.....what the **** is going on with the prices. Things are gone mental

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It does look lovely.
    I'd like to know more about the retention of games beyond the "season", I'd rather not buy into a season of games only to have them evaporate come season 2.

I think 150 for console and one season of games is a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wasn't really all that interested in this until watching that video - the build quality is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

interesting post in bargain alerts thread about the ps1 classic
    mrcheez wrote: »
    Note (as a person who has hacked many consoles to load additional roms), once you add a load of extra ROMs to the system you WILL play it less.

It's a bizarre psychological phenomenon.

When you have a system with only 20 games on it, you feel obliged to try out all games that you may not have otherwise tried, whereas when you have 1000 games, you might only play one or two that you are familiar with, but then you'll probably move on.

This happened to me with my Wii U and NES Classic after I hacked them. I held off on hacking my SNES Mini, and ended up playing that more than either of the other 2.

I'm holding off on adding extra ROMs to this until I'm fully satisfied I've got my fill of what the default box has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

rubadub wrote: »
    interesting post in bargain alerts thread about the ps1 classic

I agree with that down to the last paragraph, I'm sure many others would too. The problem with the PS Classic is that it really doesn't have that much to offer straight out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Just went on eBay for a browse of some Japanese Mega Drive games.....what the **** is going on with the prices. Things are gone mental

I think that could be said of a lot of Japanese games in general, especially over the last few years. The more people seem to talk about them on the likes of YouTube or Instagram the higher the prices seem to be going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I agree with that down to the last paragraph, I'm sure many others would too. The problem with the PS Classic is that it really doesn't have that much to offer straight out of the box.

I'm having trouble with usb sticks and mine.
    I had one working, but when I went to install Autobleem on it, it just started acting up, the PC failing to see it a lot of the time, failed attempts to format etc.
    Decided to buy an alternative, and it won't be seen by the PS Classic... well, kind of, all I get is an error message to reset the console!
    Bugger!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yeah, I did not like the game selection, I did not like most games people bought for the ps1 when it was out first, it was what sort of turned me off games. I wanted good 2d simple games of old, 2 or 3 buttons you could pick up and play. All the games seemed to feel the need to use every single button and be in 3d.

If you could buy it and select 20 games to download it would be good. I would want 2d games like SF alpha 3 and rtype delta.

I remember trying to recommend them to friends who thought it was a waste, this "but, but, it does 3d!" yeah it does it very poorly. Reminds me of films with poor CGI in the 90s thinking they had the technology down, when films like Darby O Gill from 1959 had better effects as they knew their limits!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with usb sticks and mine.
    that thread in bargain alerts has discussion about which sticks to use, think some said a decent microsd in a usb adapter might work.

Formatting tools can make a difference, I know the HP format tool was recommended years ago. I had microsds in dodgy ninentdo DS carts and if formatted with different software they were literally twice as fast or faster to scroll and load.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ciderman did you try bleemsync instead of autobleem?
    Similar issues here but bleemsync seems to work a bit better with controllers.
    Ive just found a torrent with 200+ games in pbp format and Ive finished putting over a 100 titles on it now including rytpe delta and all the streetfighter games that rubadub mentioned.
    It picks up any controller by its correct name and just seems to work out of the box.
    Im using a wired xbox 360 controller on it but Ive also plugged in my home built acrade sticks with a usb encoder and that works aswell without any messing about.
    Might be worth trying bleemsync instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah the Classic is touchy with USB due to power requirements. You'll need USB 2.0 otherwise you'll need to do the power mod or get a powered USB hub. I've ordered a 64GB SanDisk Cruiser Blade for €10 on Amazon.

I agree with the big sets of ROMs, if you have hundreds or thousands of games you won't touch half of them or if you play something new, die in 5 seconds you'll move on and miss what could be a fantastic game.

I've loaded up the few PlayStation games I have and might play one or two on the system itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

https://youtu.be/7ckKrcyYlPg

Some new streets of Rage 4 GamePlay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The last 12 titles for the Sega Mega Drive Mini have been named.

- Tetris
    - Darius
    - Road Rash II
    - Strider
    - Virtua Fighter 2
    - Alisia Dragoon
    - Columns
    - Dynamite Headdy
    - Kid Chameleon
    - Monster World IV
    - Light Crusader
    - Eternal Champions

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ciderman did you try bleemsync instead of autobleem?
    Similar issues here but bleemsync seems to work a bit better with controllers.
    Ive just found a torrent with 200+ games in pbp format and Ive finished putting over a 100 titles on it now including rytpe delta and all the streetfighter games that rubadub mentioned.
    It picks up any controller by its correct name and just seems to work out of the box.
    Im using a wired xbox 360 controller on it but Ive also plugged in my home built acrade sticks with a usb encoder and that works aswell without any messing about.
    Might be worth trying bleemsync instead.

I was using Bleemsync but found the game installing awkward, at least for the version I was using.
    I've switched to a USB2.0 32GB stick that seems to work well, and the games list isn't vast and so is a list one can see playing a few of.

The games are all bin and cue files, but I am unsure if there is a more compressed technique with Autobleem, allowing for more titles.

The last 12 titles for the Sega Mega Drive Mini have been named.

- Tetris
    - Darius
    - Road Rash II
    - Strider
    - Virtua Fighter 2
    - Alisia Dragoon
    - Columns
    - Dynamite Headdy
    - Kid Chameleon
    - Monster World IV
    - Light Crusader
    - Eternal Champions

Some good stuff there, some garbage as well. The megadrive port of VF2 is pants, so not sure why Sega is obsessed with releasing it. Eternal Champions I was never fond of and I find Kid Chameleon a bad game.

No problem with anything else. Some nice surprises. Alisia Dragoon I didn't expect considering the Gainax logo at the start.

Tetris is a very interesting title to find its way onto the system. Something like 5 or 6 copies confirmed to exist since it got pulled before release.
    While the full list isn't what exactly what I would've picked, I really can't fault Sega for the work they've done licensing titles. It would've been fantastic to see this get released closer to the SNES mini and watching them go head to head for Christmas again. Too bad they spent so long fannying about with AtGames

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

So the ps classic has me falling down the retro rabbit hole again and first off for those using one and havent done the OTG mod, do it, ease of life afterwards is way better and you get two player support back without using a hub.

Second I'm just about to dismantle my original xbox as I hopefully in time stumbled across a post about a ticking time bomb leaky clock capacitor so if anyone else is in that boat heads up :)

Third can anyone recommend a cable to hook up a ps2 to my old lil crt?

Also the MD classic is probably the first classic I will ever buy full price...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was using Bleemsync but found the game installing awkward, at least for the version I was using.

Bleemsync 1.1 has a new folder created on the usb stick called "transfer"
    All you do is drag and drop bin / cue or pbp files into the folder.
    When you reboot the classic it puts them into the correct folder structure ie teh numbered folders.
    So much easier than the previous version.And so much faster as you can easily add all the games in one go and leave it till they all transfer.

I've switched to a USB2.0 32GB stick that seems to work well, and the games list isn't vast and so is a list one can see playing a few of.
    2.0 is the way to go--had nothing but hassle with 3.0 sticks.
    The games are all bin and cue files, but I am unsure if there is a more compressed technique with Autobleem, allowing for more titles.

The pbp files are a lot smaller.On a 32gb stick you`ll easily get 100+ titles.
    I can pm you the torrent link if you want.

I've heard that the version of Darius for the MD classic is being made specifically for the MD Classic. Wonder if M2 developed it, they've some very talented game designers working there including the lead developer of Radiant Silvergun who has been trying to fund a follow up for the last few years.

I've heard that the version of Darius for the MD classic is being made specifically for the MD Classic. Wonder if M2 developed it, they've some very talented game designers working there including the lead developer of Radiant Silvergun who has been trying to fund a follow up for the last few years.

The physical only Darius collection on the Switch is also M2 made, supposed to be awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

This made me chuckle

Simpsons X Sega Rally

Advertisement