Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

omri wrote: »
    I should have said that while giving them a little beep before overtaking only one pair moved to the left. In all other instances they didn’t even budge with people cycling beside the middle of the road. Didn’t feel safe for me to overtake due to the fact there was no spare room to manouver if something happened.
    this is what gets me. you appear to be claiming to have made multiple overtakes of vulnerable road users, *while admitting that the overtakes didn't feel safe to you*.

and you say 'the cycling community' is not doing itself favours when some of us find the above objectionable?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Roads are for cars, like it or hate it.
    Roads are for a variety of users, not just arrogant car drivers like yourself.
    I passed pedestrians today. I passed people on horseback. I saw busses, trucks, etc.
    Some common sense and mutual respect will save people lives.
    Erm you're the one beeping at vulnerable road users and trying to overtake when it sounds like it was dangerous to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

am genuinely curious as to what you mean by this? was it just badly phrased?

Yes ofcourse I will always be safer in a car than on a bike. And beeps are short and way in advance to warn/inform that I will be overtaking. Giving everyone time to prepare and react if needed. Not seeing anything bad in this although I’m sure people will disagree and that ok with me.

I just dont really understand some of peoples attitude and strange general negativity at any kind of criticisms directed at cyclists.

While cycling and driving I want to keep things safe. Won’t be diving into this anymore. Felt it was dangerous the way these guys cycled and even asked one of them what was the cycle about to see if I can reach to whoever organized it to let them know. But the guy didnt know anything apart it being some charity cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yes ofcourse I will always be safer in a car than on a bike. And beeps are short and way in advance to warn/inform that I will be overtaking. Giving everyone time to prepare and react if needed. Not seeing anything bad in this although I’m sure people will disagree and that ok with me.

I just dont really understand some of peoples attitude and strange general negativity at any kind of criticisms directed at cyclists.

While cycling and driving I want to keep things safe. Won’t be diving into this anymore. Felt it was dangerous the way these guys cycled and even asked one of them what was the cycle about to see if I can reach to whoever organized it to let them know. But the guy didnt know anything apart it being some charity cycle.

What was dangerous about the way they cycled? Sounds like it was the way you were driving that was dangerous.

amcalester wrote: »
    What was dangerous about the way they cycled? Sounds like it was the way you were driving that was dangerous.

What makes you say that I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

rubadub wrote: »
    also it is against the rules of the road, which I expect many beepers harp on about people not knowing. Not sure if it is actually against the law.

It's in the RTA certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,718 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

. Roads are for cars, like it or hate it.

Except that they're not. Roads are for everyone.
    .. But youre not doing cycling community any favours.
    You're really not doing the driving community any favours. Motorists killed two people on the roads today.

Except that they're not. Roads are for everyone.

You're really not doing the driving community any favours. Motorists killed two people on the roads today.

So who am I a motorist or a cyclist? I do both?

It's a stupid question!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Roads are for cars.

Wow! What school of motoring did you go to? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wow, what are the chances of that! paddy power would be baffled at the odds
    But youre not doing cycling community any favours..
    Whoever you are speaking to here is more than likely a motorist too, and a pedestrian too...

It's a stupid question!

So far I am reading a lot of stupid things presumably from cyclists. Anyway thank you for your attention and Im off to some more interesting passtimes. Have a good one and stay safe.

So far I am reading a lot of stupid things presumably from cyclists. Anyway thank you for your attention and Im off to some more interesting passtimes. Have a good one and stay safe.
    I do my best to stay safe but it's largely out of my control.
    Today I had someone come up behind me when I was cycling legally. They needed for me to get out of their way just because. When they didn't get their way they passed me dangerously and then spat at me.
    So you'll forgive me for reading your posts about honking your horn at cyclists and thinking that you're a dick.
    For reference, I also drive. I alwaus give time and space to vulnerable road users.
    I do understand that the number of selfish drivers has massively increased over the last decade ir two and this has made it more difficult for all road users. What we don't need is someone coming along then and telling us that despite them acting the dick on the road, they too understand where I'm coming from.
    By the way, you're the one who admitted to driving dangerously towards vulnerable road users and then accuse us of writing stupid things. Please read back over your posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Didn’t want to start a new post so decided to drop it in here. Went to Kerry for this long weekend with the family and there was some charity ride between Killarney and Tralee. Not sure who organized it or what it was called, but it did have some marshals here and there. However the group we got stuck behind along with many more cars was quite split and all over the place. Folks were going 2 sometimes 3 abreast taking the entire lane making safe overtaking not so safe from drivers perspective especially when the group was so fragmented. Everything was lead by a van who was drafting some of the riders. Sadly we read someone got killed that morning (not sure if this was someone who was participating in this exact event). It was pretty windy and not an easy cycle so fair play to everyone taking part but I feel on this particular stretch of road people were somewhat oblivious to all other traffic that was on the road. Hopefully someone who was involved in the event reads that and improve things for next time.

So you are posting in a thread about near misses where cyclists have had a near miss due to idiotic motorists, and you admit that you are one of those motorists that caused a near miss. Hmm. I can now see why you caused a near miss.

Funnily enough, so do the cyclists that you claimed were reflecting badly on the cycling community.

I do my best to stay safe but it's largely out of my control.
    Today I had someone come up behind me when I was cycling legally. They needed for me to get out of their way just because. When they didn't get their way they passed me dangerously and then spat at me.
    So you'll forgive me for reading your posts about honking your horn at cyclists and thinking that you're a dick.
    For reference, I also drive. I alwaus give time and space to vulnerable road users.
    I do understand that the number of selfish drivers has massively increased over the last decade ir two and this has made it more difficult for all road users. What we don't need is someone coming along then and telling us that despite them acting the dick on the road, they too understand where I'm coming from.
    By the way, you're the one who admitted to driving dangerously towards vulnerable road users and then accuse us of writing stupid things. Please read back over your posts.

Why was I driving dangerously? I did all I could on my part, warned, adjusted the speed and overtook on the other lane. The cyclists on the road should adjust their line. I never spit on a cyclists I overtook not I whiz by at high speed and take them by surprise.

What I’m reading is a lot of grief from what I assume seasoned cyclists (given this is cycling boards ie) - trying to prove what? So far I read stories of vulnerable cyclists being bullied by drivers yet you try to point out something to cyclists and it somehow is not taken seriously.

I did all I could on my part, warned, adjusted the speed and overtook on the other lane. The cyclists on the road should adjust their line.
    You could have just waited for a safe place to pass, like you would with any other overtake. You're going to have to cross the white line to pass one cyclist, so it really doesn't matter whether they are two or three abreast - you're still going to have to cross the line.

You could have just waited for a safe place to pass, like you would with any other overtake. You're going to have to cross the white line to pass one cyclist, so it really doesn't matter whether they are two or three abreast - you're still going to have to cross the line.

I waited, I posted it here just to point out the situation instead of starting a new topic that is all. I overtook safe but couldve been done even safer if cyclists did their part.

I waited, I posted it here just to point out the situation instead of starting a new topic that is all. I overtook safe but couldve been done even safer if cyclists did their part.
    Why did you beep the cyclists?

Was explained earlier.

• Advertisement

I overtook safe but couldve been done even safer if cyclists did their part.

From earlier:
    Didn’t feel safe for me to overtake due to the fact there was no spare room to manouver if something happened.

So was it safe or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I should have said that while giving them a little beep before overtaking only one pair moved to the left. In all other instances they didn’t even budge with people cycling beside the middle of the road. Didn’t feel safe for me to overtake due to the fact there was no spare room to manouver if something happened.

Look it can go back and forth all night and you can keep threatening to leave, but fact of the matter is that the overtaker has the responsibility of the overtake, and those being overtaken do not (and should not) have to facilitate it.

-only one pair moved to the left
    -didn’t feel safe to overtake...no spare room...if something happened.
    -roads are for cars, like it or not

I’m sorry but your attitude needs to change. Fair enough, you did wait. But maybe you could understand that the reason cyclists are disagreeing with you here isn’t down to us being a big homogeneous group (even if we’re often treated this way), but rather because you’re so sure you’re right, that’s it’s difficult to understand that in fact the roads should be shared and you have no more right to the road than any other group.

As an example, should all the cars move out of my way along the canal at rush hour because I travel faster?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Why was I driving dangerously?
    i'll put this in allcaps because you don't seem to have read your own comments.

YOU PERFORMED OVERTAKING MANOUEVRES YOU YOURSELF SAID 'DIDN'T FEEL SAFE FOR ME'.

either you've done a spectacularly bad and unflattering job of explaining the situation, or you did what you say you did and performed unsafe overtakes.

i feel sorry for the cyclists. they were on an organised charity cycle, clearly marked as such, and probably thought they could relax a little; maybe they thought 'motorists will give us a little leeway now, it's for charity so they'll be decent about it'; but instead have to deal with a motorist with a telepathic car horn which can beam into their brains 'this is a *friendly* beep for your own good' rather than an 'i'm a car, get out of my way' beep. which is how 99% of cyclists will interpret it (with good reason).

and it shouldn't need repeating, but at no point have you suggested the cyclists actually left their own lane, which means the oncoming lane was clear; which is a fundamental requirement of performing a safe overtake.

i'll put this in allcaps because you don't seem to have read your own comments.

YOU PERFORMED OVERTAKING MANOUEVRES YOU YOURSELF SAID 'DIDN'T FEEL SAFE FOR ME'.

either you've done a spectacularly bad and unflattering job of explaining the situation, or you did what you say you did and performed unsafe overtakes.

i feel sorry for the cyclists. they were on an organised charity cycle, clearly marked as such, and probably thought they could relax a little; maybe they thought 'motorists will give us a little leeway now, it's for charity so they'll be decent about it'; but instead have to deal with a motorist with a telepathic car horn which can beam into their brains 'this is a *friendly* beep for your own good' rather than an 'i'm a car, get out of my way' beep. which is how 99% of cyclists will interpret it (with good reason).

and it shouldn't need repeating, but at no point have you suggested the cyclists actually left their own lane, which means the oncoming lane was clear; which is a fundamental requirement of performing a safe overtake.

Cyclists were going 3 abreast taking entire lane at one point. Now my point is that in case where the other group of two moved to the left it gave ample of space. And regardless that I did overtake on the opposite lane.

Now you can try to shrug off the responsibility from the cyclists to the que of the cars behind them. But truth be told even tractors give way after a while around these roads that I experienced this last few days.

They simply carried on, while the cars before and after me had to overtake them with as much room as they decided to leave for that manouver.

We can argue all night but since its a road with 100kmh speed limit I dont think any car is expected to trail the cyclists for x miles until they form a single file.

And yes I prefer to give a little beep so they can prepare in whatever way rather than be passed at high speed by a lorry which oddly enough seen happen today.

Instead you read the post and figured out its another driver bitching about us cyclist, and this cant be. Which is sad really but feel free to have your opinion. My feeling was that it’s a shame they went about it that way and I felt they increased the risks in doing so. Take it what you want from it. Maybe someone involved in it will read this and takes it into account.

I know how I cycle and I also know how I’m driving and conducting myself towards cyclists especially. That is enough for me. Thanks for listening anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Perhaps they misunderstood your little beep, very easy to interpret a “I’m going to safely overtake you now” beep as “I’m a self entitled prick and will now dangerously overtake you the first chance I get”.

Might explain why they didn’t move left, they were trying to discourage you from your dangerous maneuver.

Was explained earlier.
    No it wasn't!
    What was the purpose if the beep? What did you expect from the cyclists by beeping at them?
    Woukd you beep at another road user before overtaking them? Trucks? Tractors? Horseback riders? Pedestrians?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

They simply carried on, while the cars before and after me had to overtake them with as much room as they decided to leave for that

Are those cars subject to some ghostly forces that push down the accelerator and override driver control?
    We can argue all night but since its a road with 100kmh speed limit I dont think any car is expected to trail the cyclists for x miles until they form a single file.

1) the speed limit is irrelevant- it doesn't convey a right to any road user to travel at that speed.
    2) The car isn't expected to do anything because it's just a car
    3) Regardless of road position of any other road users, the DRIVER of the car is required (not expected) to drive their car in a way that prioritises the safety of all road users. This is a basic 101 requirement of safe driving and the reason you are allowed to have the pink piece of paper in your pocket. If anyone is unable to adhere to this , they need to hand in their licence.

After reading your comment I’m not surprised why drviers might have issues with cyclists or if not even that just bad opinion about them. You’re certainly have an approach of the road is mine because I am a cyclist but stand no chance even with a smallest car that’s out there. Furthermore all you decided to take out of my post is this warrior cyclist rhetoric that neither was my point, intention to bring out in people who were to read it.

If I feel like its needed I will always give a little beep, as did in the past on many roads and in many countries. It’s there for a reason. You decide to read it the way you did and so be it. It’s disappointing and I’m going to leave it at that - as Ive nothing else to add to this really.

I also do not appreciate some sort of wording used in the discussion pointing to me for whatever reason. You don’t know me and there’s no reason using it in this context.

Cyclists were going 3 abreast taking entire lane at one point. Now my point is that in case where the other group of two moved to the left it gave ample of space. And regardless that I did overtake on the opposite lane.
    They were wrong to be three abreast but from what you told us, you tried to bully them out of your way - that is not acceptable.
    Now you can try to shrug off the responsibility from the cyclists to the que of the cars behind them. But truth be told even tractors give way after a while around these roads that I experienced this last few days.
    A cyclist is not obliged to pull over and let you overtake. If that were the case then you'd barely get 100m before having to pull over again. Drivers need to understand the difference between a safe overtake and one that they feel comfortable with. It is not down to the cyclist to make sure that you drive safely but they so what they can!
    They simply carried on, while the cars before and after me had to overtake them with as much room as they decided to leave for that manouver.
    ...and what?
    Is your car that low on power that you had no chance to safely overtake?
    And yes I prefer to give a little beep so they can prepare in whatever way rather than be passed at high speed by a lorry which oddly enough seen happen today.
    So you would rather break the law by distracting a vulnerable road user to alert them that you will be doing what you feel is safe?
    How exactly should they prepare for your overtake? Are they to get out of your way? Are they to change their line because of you?
    Instead you read the post and figured out its another driver bitching about us cyclist, and this cant be. Which is sad really but feel free to have your opinion. My feeling was that it’s a shame they went about it that way and I felt they increased the risks in doing so. Take it what you want from it. Maybe someone involved in it will read this and takes it into account.

I know how I cycle and I also know how I’m driving and conducting myself towards cyclists especially. That is enough for me. Thanks for listening anyway.
    You certainly don't seem to have any empathy towards cyclists despite your claims to be one!
    Your claims of safe driving are contradicted by your other claims.
    You are critical of them for trying to hold the lane and stay safe.
    I stand by my initial assumption that you are a selfish and dangerous driver whennit comes to vulnerable road users.

• Advertisement

You don’t know me and there’s no reason using it in this context.
    Not sure who your post is directed towards but to respond to this bit: I don't know you. I don't want to know you but based on the information that you have given us, I have a good idea as to how you share the road with vulnerable road users.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement