Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭blackwhite

i genuinely cannot remember the last time i saw someone being stopped after running a red light in a car.
    to be fair, i have seen gardai having pulled cars over for a chat with the driver, without me knowing why, but i do live near ballymun, so could be a range of reasons...

Have often seen a Garda at Doyle's corner (usually outside the Spar) pulling cars who run the lights there. Seems focused on cars turning left from inbound on Glasnevin Rd turning onto North Circular Rd headed towards the Mater.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

No one has the right to break the rules and no one can complain when caught.
    they might have reason to complain at the moment. I saw several traffic lights obstructed by election posters on my route, the majority of the posters are below the 2.5m limit my council has, 3.2m alongside cycle lanes. And they should be nowhere near traffic lights anyways. The 2 pictures behind the garda should certainly not be put on a pole with a traffic sign, whether it is the county council rules in that area or not, I am guessing they are up with the totally inadequate 2 cable ties and so quite likely to fall downwards over time and obscure the sign, plenty on my route have.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/election_posters_dlr.pdf
    Guidelines on the Erection and Removal of Election Posters:
    1. Election posters should only be erected (a) not earlier than 30 days before the poll date
    or (b) from the date the Minister makes the order for the holding of the poll, whichever is the shorter period. The time limit for Referendum posters is not restricted to 30 days. These posters are allowed from the date the polling day order is signed. The effective date for the erection of posters for the Local Elections 2019 is from Wednesday, 24th April 2019 until Friday, 31st May 2019.
    2. In accordance with the Litter Pollution Act 1997, as amended, election posters and ties must be removed within 7 days after polling date. Failure to do so may result in prosecution. The associated fixing arrangement particularly plastic ties must be removed at the same time the poster is being removed.
    3. No adhesive or metal fixings are permitted.
    4. The Party or individual responsible for the poster must be clearly indicated on the poster.
    5. Posters must not be erected on:
    (a) lamp standards with overhead line electricity feed, traffic signal poles, bridge
    parapets and overpasses, pedestrian bridges, barriers or railings, roundabouts,
    roadside traffic barriers and must not block or obstruct motorists view of
    pedestrians or other traffic
    (b) statutory signage of any type
    (c) motorways
    6. There should be a minimum clearance of 2.5 metres (8ft) from the lower edge of any poster to ground level on footpaths and 3.2metres (10ft) on cycle lanes and no posters should be placed higher than 6.5 metres (20ft) from the ground.
    7. Political parties/independent candidates are reminded that no claims for damages arising from placing, displaying or removal of their posters will lie with the Council and they may consider it appropriate to take out Public Liability Insurance in this regard
    8. Where the Council incurs costs in the removal of posters these costs may be recovered.

Election posters that do not comply with these conditions or that are erected
    on Council property prior to the declaration of an election will be removed by
    the Council. In the event of a breach of the Litter Pollution Act 1997 – 2009,
    prosecutions may be initiated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Emme wrote: »
    I know that section of road well, I often cycle on it. If I had rigidly stuck to the rules on that road over the years I would be dead now. I don't like breaking rules and I try my best to avoid it but when it's a choice between being abiding by the rules and getting run down or breaking the rules and surviving I'll take survival every time.

Gardai NEVER seem to be around when motor vehicles are driving in a way that they endanger the lives of cyclists. Even if they are they don't always take note. I remember getting knocked off my bike on Trinity Street and a Garda saw it. I got up and hobbled over to the Garda with my bike. Luckily I and my bike were ok apart from a few scratches. The Garda's attitude was if I and my bike weren't majorly damaged it was no big deal if the car knocked me down.

But every one has the same complaint but with a different twist, someone crossing the road at a green light and a bike breaks the red, there is no garda around.

I run to work and the things I see from all road users, you would need at least 1 garda at every junction in Dublin alone. Even at that, it wouldn't be enough.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Have often seen a Garda at Doyle's corner (usually outside the Spar) pulling cars who run the lights there. Seems focused on cars turning left from inbound on Glasnevin Rd turning onto North Circular Rd headed towards the Mater.

They were on the canal last week pulling in drivers that broke red lights

rubadub wrote: »
    they might have reason to complain at the moment. I saw several traffic lights obstructed by election posters on my route, the majority of the posters are below the 2.5m limit my council has, 3.2m alongside cycle lanes. And they should be nowhere near traffic lights anyways. The 2 pictures behind the garda should certainly not be put on a pole with a traffic sign, whether it is the county council rules in that area or not, I am guessing they are up with the totally inadequate 2 cable ties and so quite likely to fall downwards over time and obscure the sign, plenty on my route have.

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/election_posters_dlr.pdf

Will u stop looking for an escape clause every time. Posters are not up all year round.

Let's just face the facts, that alot of road users in Dublin are disrespectful people that only care about themselves.

As I said before we need a missile system at junctions that will target the red light breakers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Posters are not up all year round.
    They are in my area, there is no timeframe limit anymore. Have you not see the new loophole they are exploiting? election posters with a disclaimer saying "public meeting" on them.

And so what if they really were not up all year round, I already said "at the moment".

I smirked when I read this
    Maybe a push so FG et all can show how they are improving policing in the run up the Local Elections.
    The majority of parties are clearly demonstrating what little respect they have for public safety and authority at the moment.

I hope they are targeting actual dangerous red light jumpers, what the law actually set out to prevent, not benign RLJs which often actually aid the flow of traffic and make it safer for everybody. Thankfully most gardai are not "by the book" little hitler gobshites which some would like them to be. I often wonder if they have unofficially told to treat them like the Idaho stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

rubadub wrote: »
    I hope they are targeting actual dangerous red light jumpers, what the law actually set out to prevent, not benign RLJs which often actually aid the flow of traffic and make it safer for everybody.
    Tell us more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

On a decent road earlier - just south of oldtown - I was passed by a motorcyclist with no oncoming traffic, plenty of visibility up ahead, loads of room for him. Didn't stop him from passing me with less than 50cm to spare doing about 70 or 80 i'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Close pass this morning on Eden Quay just before Liberty Hall, I always take the lane there from the luas crossing to the lights before Custom House due to dozzy motorist swerving left from both lanes to go towards Gardiner St Lower. That didn’t stop this cretin in a 07 cream mini cooper from passing within 10cm despite no traffic in the overtaking lane to his right and all to stop at the lights 100m further up. Stopped at the lights for a chat and asked what was with the close pass and he said it was because I was in the centre of the lane and I need to keep in. When I explained that was on purpose to stop such motorists veering across without looking he said he was looking confirming my suspicions the pass was deliberate. He was stopped at that set of lights and again 250m later at the next set of lights after the Custom House so not like he gained any ground from the dangerous manoeuvre.
    I reported two close passes within 500m along the quays last year from the same driver with a phone to his ear and never heard back but maybe this time since the mini cooper’s NCT was expired since Feb 2019 they’ll actually do something and send on a few penalty points. If you’re going to act in a deliberate and dangerous manner drawing attention to yourself make sure your windscreen paper is in order.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you’re going to act in a deliberate and dangerous manner drawing attention to yourself make sure your windscreen paper is in order.

It's always funny if you look at the Garda Twitter feed, the number of cars popped for no tax, no NCT, no Insurance and bald tyres. They are never caught with random checks or reporting, it is usually the Garda pulled them over for not indicating, or for parking across two Blue badge spaces or for running a red light. In this sense the Gardai are lucky they are so belligerent that they don't even try and hide their law breaking. A large number of cars around my area and on the N11, all with Yellow reg plates, and my suspicion is no insurance or tax as they drive into college or too work so have a clear attachment to the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

CramCycle wrote: »
    It's always funny if you look at the Garda Twitter feed, the number of cars popped for no tax, no NCT, no Insurance and bald tyres. They are never caught with random checks or reporting, it is usually the Garda pulled them over for not indicating, or for parking across two Blue badge spaces or for running a red light. In this sense the Gardai are lucky they are so belligerent that they don't even try and hide their law breaking. A large number of cars around my area and on the N11, all with Yellow reg plates, and my suspicion is no insurance or tax as they drive into college or too work so have a clear attachment to the state.

yeah you'd think that if you were driving around with a vehicle which shouldn't be on the road then the least you'd do is try to avoid bringing attention to yourself. but they can't even get that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Close pass this morning on Eden Quay just before Liberty Hall, I always take the lane there from the luas crossing to the lights before Custom House due to dozzy motorist swerving left from both lanes to go towards Gardiner St Lower. That didn’t stop this cretin in a 07 cream mini cooper from passing within 10cm despite no traffic in the overtaking lane to his right and all to stop at the lights 100m further up. Stopped at the lights for a chat and asked what was with the close pass and he said it was because I was in the centre of the lane and I need to keep in. When I explained that was on purpose to stop such motorists veering across without looking he said he was looking confirming my suspicions the pass was deliberate. He was stopped at that set of lights and again 250m later at the next set of lights after the Custom House so not like he gained any ground from the dangerous manoeuvre.
    I reported two close passes within 500m along the quays last year from the same driver with a phone to his ear and never heard back but maybe this time since the mini cooper’s NCT was expired since Feb 2019 they’ll actually do something and send on a few penalty points. If you’re going to act in a deliberate and dangerous manner drawing attention to yourself make sure your windscreen paper is in order.

I've experienced this 'excuse' more than once. Why did you pass so close? Oh you were all over the road.

So you're saying that you saw a cyclist 'all over the road' and thought you'd pass them closely. What?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I've recently adopted a new tactic when conversing with taxi drivers and others that cut me up aggressively, roar abuse etc.

Especially if its morning time, while talking I get my head inside the passenger window just a little and then, in the middle of talking I stop, sniff the air and say "Have you been drinking?"

Worryingly, on more than one occasion that's resulted in a sudden panicked look and them suddenly deciding to get the hell out of dodge instead of sticking around to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Was positioning in stationary traffic from the gutter to the centre lane on lower rathmines road this morning between a taxi and bus. Taxi didn't like cyclists filtering (was straddling both lanes to prevent this as it turned out, this was why there was space in the gutter) so he drives into me at low speed and pins me to the back of the bus.

Photo I took didn't come out hence no details whatsoever but it just adds to the impression that the people who spend their careers on the roads (so called "professional drivers") are by far the most delinquent road users. His front seat passenger looked mortified. 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Heading down towards Laurel Lodge in Carpenterstown, West Dublin this morning. No. 37 Bus is pulled in the bus lane at a bus stop and 30 or so meters on, an Adshel van is parked (the guys who maintain the bus stops) - he's busy replacing advertisement posters in the bus stop.

I indicate to move right to overtake the bus, car behind approaches aggressively. They continue to bully me as I'm overtaking the van (I took the lane and continued) further on. The car speed past me, with a customary punishment pass at speed, but stops in ahead (in the bus lane), driver is ready to give me abuse, presumably for "holding him up". I sailed by, ignoring.

Can someone explain why motorists are in such a rush in the mornings, to the extent that all vestige of safety towards other vulnerable road users seems to go out the window, yet have plenty of time to stop and "chat"? Answers on a postcard please.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Scooting along here this morning and a guy in a white Qashwai cuts into the lane in front of me on the left to drop his little sh1tes off at the bus stop. I'd to brake hard to avoid going into him, pulled a fairly impressive skid.

I'm trying to clip it off my gopro but it's acting up. I'll leave out the part where i had a chat with him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm trying to clip it off my gopro but it's acting up. I'll leave out the part where i had a chat with him.
    Was he apologetic or hostile?

Was he apologetic or hostile?

He was confused because he didn't see me. This is the clip.

I thought he was just cutting into the lane to take the left up ahead initially. Then he went straight for the kerb.

https://streamable.com/0k8lk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Close one this morning from a fellow cyclist (i.e we were both on bikes) and more for her sake than mine. Was waiting to join the primary road, turning left with traffic. It's slow moving so usually just a case of letting a car pass and merging near the rear bumper. As I wait for the chance (couple of seconds), she pulls up less than a foot from me on my right and does her own merge right across my path. If I hadn't been been paying attention I would have cycled out right as her front tyre was perpendicular to mine and she'd have ended up on the road. Stoney faced obliviousness to the sh1tty manoeuvre she did despite my roar of surprise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

He was confused because he didn't see me. This is the clip.

I thought he was just cutting into the lane to take the left up ahead initially. Then he went straight for the kerb.

https://streamable.com/0k8lk
    to be fair, you came out of *literally* nowhere.

• Advertisement

to be fair, you came out of *literally* nowhere.

The urgency to drop the kids off at the bus stop supersedes the use of your mirror or checking over your shoulder obviously. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Every morning here, on the way down the hill on the way into Citywest. I get at least one close pass on that blind bend, despite my taking the lane there.

This morning I had the most patient hanger-backer I could have hoped for, and they didn't overtake til well after the bend, and no oncoming traffic. Of course, as they passed I saw the bike rack on the back. Not sure if they noticed but I gave them a friendly wave as they drove on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I saw a lady blast through a red light at the bleeding horse the other day. Lights were green for me so they must've been red for her for at lest 2 or 3 seconds. She got beeped out of it by a taxi. When I pulled up beside her and politely asked her to be more observant she casually claimed she thought the light was green and then apologised. I told her she could have killed someone and asked her if she could give me any reason not to report her to the guards.

She didnt have an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭woody1

cycling into killala co mayo, on a slight downhill with a tail wind so i'm zipping along, clear road in front of me, i can see a long way in front , 2 lanes, no real hard shoulder,solid white line, nothing on my side of the road, 2 cars on the other side coming towards me about 50 yards away, a van in front and suv jeep thing behind, i could see it coming thank god , the suv decides, despite the fact that im coming towards him , to overtake the van , so he pulls out onto my side and i have to jam the brakes coming from round 35+km/hr down to nothing in a few yards and wedge the bike up to the kerb and he just zips by and not a breeze on him.. if i wasnt half expecting him to overtake it wouldve been a nasty one ... but obviously a bike on the opposite side of the road to you doesnt count as traffic .. and thats ignoring the solid white line..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭De Bhál

droidus wrote: »
    asked her if she could give me any reason not to report her to the guards.

She didnt have an answer.

she apologised and this was your reply...good God

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Technophobe

De Bhál wrote: »

yep, it's fine because she "thought" the light was green:rolleyes:

The apology wouldn't be much good if she maimed or killed someone.

Fcuks sakes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I generally ignore the vast majority of bad behaviour on the roads, but she drove through a red light that had been red for about 3 seconds at about 30 kph during rush hour, nearly hitting two cyclists and a car, and seemed completely oblivious to the fact - even after she was beeped at.

If I wanted to be a c**t I would actually have reported her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭De Bhál

droidus wrote: »
    I generally ignore the vast majority of bad behaviour on the roads, but she drove through a red light that had been red for about 3 seconds at about 30 kph during rush hour, nearly hitting two cyclists and a car, and seemed completely oblivious to the fact - even after she was beeped at.

If I wanted to be a c**t I would actually have reported her.

ok , I, for some reason assumed she was on a bike, so my mistake there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Going by Hueston Station this morning a private bus indicates to pull in to the left. Bus stops with back end firmly in the middle of the lane and front partially in the Dublin Bus stop. Wait a bit for him to complete what ever maneuver they were trying complete. Then as they were taking there time I indicate and pull around the bus. Half way along the bus when he decides to straighten out into the lane without indicating or looking. I beep (air horn) and he goes mental at me and continues to pull into me.

signs on the bus saying they have video cameras, think I remember the company. Is there any point in complaining?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement