Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Two cyclists in a slight near miss at Leeson St bridge, with the guy coming over the bridge against the red light nearly being t-boned by the lady taking off with the green;

https://streamable.com/qpvxj

And taxi doing illegal left turn nearly left hooks cyclist going straight on;

https://streamable.com/36fuh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

There's a small fortune to be made standing on that bridge pulling in drivers taking that left turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

If only there were some Gardai nearby at the time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

Have been overtaken yesterday night from the left with few cm to spare at speed by a (professional) taxi driver on Wellington Quay who decided to use the left lane to gain those 2/3 seconds that allowed him to arrive earlier than me at the red traffic light.
    Gave him a look, he did not have a clue.

Not sure how that piece of road should be approached: left lane is for coaches (it lasts a few hundred metres, then you get the pavement -- it looks to me it is just a temporary parking for buses?), centre lane is for bus and cycles, then there is right lane. If I approach it on the left, I usually get a dangerous situation because everyone is speeding from one light to the next one, and do not care if you are moving from left to centre (regardless of how many lights and safety jackets you have on, or if you wear a helmet or not). [not to forget it is an awful piece of paved road]
    If I approach it on the centre, I get cars revving and tailgaiting me which is not very comfortable (not that thy care if the next light is red, they have to tailgate you anyway) - and apparentely, I get taxi drivers punishing me from the left (hopefully it was just a uncommon behaviour and won't happen ever again).

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

If only there were some Gardai nearby at the time. :rolleyes:

There was the other morning when I was at those lights, only for a cyclist, not a motorist. An oncoming cyclist ignored the red lights and sailed through when the lights were green for Fitzwilliam Place. She hadn't seen the Garda van waiting at the lights.

A bit difficult to see the cyclist in the video due to cars blocking the view (downside of camera fixed to handlebars), but you can see her approaching the traffic lights ahead, and then the blue lights of the Garda van as it took off after her.

We're all cyclists here, but sometimes (a lot of the times?) RLJs annoy me too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do not post videos like that online.
    That vehicle is entitled to their good name!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Have you any idea of the cost and time to replace a system? They don't just keep the system with no changes being made. There is constant maintenance and upgrades to such systems.
    The system cost over €60 million to develop, so maybe that is why they don't just replace it. It probably has another 10 years of use easy assuming they did very little to it but after that there is no reason it doesn't remain indefinitely once kept up to date.
    check_six wrote: »
    That's good that it's been getting updates. I'd somehow got the impression the system was archaic and not up to the job any more. Don't know where I got that idea from now to be honest.

I should be clear, PULSE is not the problem by any way shape or means. It is the unnecessary bureaucracy tied to almost every infraction, no matter how minor, which has to a large degree being placed there by bureaucrats and outside legal influences. Rather than shore up laws and simplifying processes when they were challenged e.g. various tickets etc. They then went about adding piles of paperwork to the AGS so it would be more difficult to argue against in court, the downside to this is there are more points for the system to break down and good solicitors to exploit. Go to the US or the UK (though the US seems to have nailed it very well), get a speeding fine, they pull you over, ask for drivers license, add in your details, tell you what speed you were doing, hand you the ticket and you have 28 days to pay or it goes straight to court. There is no post for it to get lost in, you receive it on the spot, there is no mitigating circumstances, there is no confusion on the date/time/place or any other hang up. If the police officer does not go to court, you still get the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I was cycling up Townsend street in the right hand lane of two lanes. Just before the junction with Shaw Street, Dublin bus 757 in the left hand lane tries to accelerate and overtake me, as the road narrows to a single lane (on the right) due to road works. He accelerates, sounds his horn, then proceeds to move in ontop of me, forcing me to take evasive action and move out of the centre of the right lane to the very side of the road or be struck by the side of the bus.

Caught up to the driver not much further down the road, he was very unapologetic, and said I should be wearing a High viz and helmet.

I've lodged a complaint with DB and sent a GDPR request to get footage, sadly both my front and read cameras were out of battery.... typical

481048.JPG

Recreation of the event, he could have easily slowed down and pulled in behind me, I was planning on turning right onto shaw st anyway..

It is the fact that he keeps rolling forward as the cyclist comes round him, absolute muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A Deliveroo cyclist comes off the path from the Royal Canal onto the road just after Cross Guns Bridge outbound this morning, against a red man/toucan light. Sort of does a circle in the left lane a bit ahead of me and then drifts casually into the right lane to cross the road - right in front of a van doing 50km/h (legitimately). Screech of the brakes and smoke coming from the tyres. If the van driver hadn't been paying attention he was a goner, I was a bit shaken up seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Breezer wrote: »
    And then coming home in the evening there's a queue of traffic in the right lane on Church St before the North King St junction. I'm in the left lane, taking the lane because it's one of those ones where they've painted on a cycle lane that takes up half the width of the driving lane. There's also a crater of a manhole in middle of the road, and then a left filter arrow where I'd rather not be left hooked. Anyway, one of the lads heretofore queuing happy in his car suddenly decides he doesn't want to queue anymore and pulls into the left lane as I'm passing by, indicating as he starts the manoeuvre. I had enough speed to make it past without any issue but he clearly hadn't a clue I was there.
    I had a repeat of this today a few yards further on heading past Bridewell Garda Station. Mirrors, people!

Weird one this morning, approaching Leonard’s corner inbound. A Dublin bus near the front of the queue has kind of positioned himself with the front half of the bus sticking into the cycle lane at an angle, which seemed odd. Knowing the light sequence, ped lights had just turned green ahead, I know I can undertake before he moves. As I get to the door of the bus, he does two quick beeps, when I notice in front of him is a coach, in the right hand turn lane, but indicating left. Because of the tight corner, the coach needed the swing but you could easily miss it. I give him a smile and thumbs up, feeling a little dopey for not twigging it was on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

papu wrote: »
    I was cycling up Townsend street in the right hand lane of two lanes. Just before the junction with Shaw Street, Dublin bus 757 in the left hand lane tries to accelerate and overtake me, as the road narrows to a single lane (on the right) due to road works. He accelerates, sounds his horn, then proceeds to move in ontop of me, forcing me to take evasive action and move out of the centre of the right lane to the very side of the road or be struck by the side of the bus.

Caught up to the driver not much further down the road, he was very unapologetic, and said I should be wearing a High viz and helmet.

I trust you asked him why he was not in his full bus driver's uniform and cap, and whether that was the way he dressed to represent his company?

buffalo wrote: »
    There's a small fortune to be made standing on that bridge pulling in drivers taking that left turn.
    I don't know what you could possibly mean;

https://streamable.com/jpdbs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Nearly took out a cyclist as well. Assuming the motorist drove across a green pedestrian / cyclist crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I cycled by a driver this morning who had a cigarette in one hand and his phone in the other (pretty sure he was watching a video) and using his elbows and knees to steer the car. Ridiculous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Are those signs new? Used to run down that way alot and always saw cars turning there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Are those signs new? Used to run down that way alot and always saw cars turning there.

They've been there since the bridge was installed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/samuel-beckett-bridge-opens-1.850540
    Motorists have been advised that there is no right-turn from the bridge on either side of the river and there is no left-turn from North Wall Quay onto the north side of the bridge.

buffalo wrote: »
    They've been there since the bridge was installed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/samuel-beckett-bridge-opens-1.850540

One of the hottest spots on my commute for absolute blatant rule breaking. Particularly dangerous if you're in the cycle lane on the bridge heading north and waiting at this corner

Two cyclists in a slight near miss at Leeson St bridge, with the guy coming over the bridge against the red light nearly being t-boned by the lady taking off with the green;

Its the perfect spot for a camera, once there is no Garda there, everyone breaks that turn, zero people give a sh1t, and while I don't agree with it, I can see why it is done. Like everything, until they start enforcement, via automatic means, it will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Looks like she was "reading/predicting the lights" and taking off early and breaking a red for a split second too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Left hooked by an absolute idiot in Phibsborough this morning. What the **** is wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Left hooked by an absolute idiot in Phibsborough this morning. What the **** is wrong with people.

Did you come off?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Did you come off?

No thankfully was able to turn in myself. There were two of us (cyclists) as well beside each other, no bother to the driver though.

rubadub wrote: »
    Looks like she was "reading/predicting the lights" and taking off early and breaking a red for a split second too.

The two on the road went through a clear red light there.

The girl might be "reading/predicting" the lights, but those lights go red well before the other ones go green there!

Could say all three were at fault, as her bike shouldn't be parked in the cycle lane also.

The two on the road went through a clear red light there.

The girl might be "reading/predicting" the lights, but those lights go red well before the other ones go green there!

Could say all three were at fault, as her bike shouldn't be parked in the cycle lane also.

Parked?

Parked?

Bad term there, static lets say

Bad term there, static lets say

She was waiting for the lights to change. What else is she supposed to do?

She was waiting for the lights to change. What else is she supposed to do?

She was across a cycle lane before she had a green light.
    Now maybe I am wrong, but I am sure your not allowed to have your bike across a cycle lane to block it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

At that crossing this morning, van in 1 lane was parked across the ped / cyclist crossing while a car in another lane was parked on the advance stop box, meaning that everyone crossing had to slalom between the 2 vehicles.
    I see blatant ROTR breaking there every time I use the broader junction (ie both ends of the bridge) with zero enforcement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement