Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Sandymount yesterday morning. Travelling from Irishtown. Woman with a phone up to her ear just stopped in time. I was going around the first bend at the green. She was coming the opposite direction but turning right to go down by the bike shop. No indicator, phone up to her ear and not a care from her in her tank.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

again, this is not me. lifted from twitter.
    the really close pass happens from about 18s in, and check out what it looks like from the forward facing camera.

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1125473611068968961

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That lads twitter is a real eye opener :eek:

tuxy wrote: »
    That lads twitter is a real eye opener :eek:

Yeah, and I thought Dublin was bad. Cork seems so much worse.

Yeah, and I thought Dublin was bad. Cork seems so much worse.

I lived and cycled in Cork for 2 years and never experienced anything like that.
    The only time I ever had any trouble was when I used the cycle lane and was almost knocked down, I stopped using the poorly designed lanes and everything was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, cork drivers seem to love to stop for a chat.

True but they are like that everywhere not just on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some shocking footage alright. First car is just your common garden idiot motorist who’s pulled a stupid stunt because he’s too lazy to overtake properly. Car two definitely a punishment pass, you’re on “his road”

For me the 1st one was potentially more dangerous. I can see from the rest of the video the bus lane ends up ahead and guy knows this but in the normal course of events I'd have been bearing left there into to the bus lane as the car was coming up the inside.

For me the 1st one was potentially more dangerous. I can see from the rest of the video the bus lane ends up ahead and guy knows this but in the normal course of events I'd have been bearing left there into to the bus lane as the car was coming up the inside.

True. That’s happened to me a few times on the shared bus / bike lane on the south quays. Private motorists and taxis who couldn’t be arsed overtaking on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Cycling to work on back roads (Leixlip area) this morning. Had a car try to overtake me as we approached a blind bend. An oncoming car appeared from the corner and the overtaker had to back off, but was already level with me. I thought he was going to move in on top of me, but he managed to break in time and luckily the oncoming car was not going too fast. There's not much space on those roads and I had no room to maneuver, so it was genuinely scary.

On the back roads I only meet 5 or 6 cars each way on my commute, but it amazes me the places that they decide to overtake. There are lots of blind bends and narrow passes etc, it feels like only a matter of time until I get knocked off. I'll have to get cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    Cycling to work on back roads (Leixlip area) this morning. Had a car try to overtake me as we approached a blind bend. An oncoming car appeared from the corner and the overtaker had to back off, but was already level with me. I thought he was going to move in on top of me, but he managed to break in time and luckily the oncoming car was not going too fast. There's not much space on those roads and I had no room to maneuver, so it was genuinely scary.

On the back roads I only meet 5 or 6 cars each way on my commute, but it amazes me the places that they decide to overtake. There are lots of blind bends and narrow passes etc, it feels like only a matter of time until I get knocked off. I'll have to get cameras.

That’s like my commute every day. On some bends I have to stick my arm out to try to persuade them to back off. Doesn’t stop some of them though. The sheer stupidity is breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I wonder could this Garda have parked in a more inconvenient location? This is a dangerous enough spot with taxis double parking in the cycle lane and pulling out without looking.

They're giving a cyclist a ticket. As Arsene Wenger used to say 'I didn't see it.'

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3432657,-6.2702446,3a,75y,205.36h,81.66t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sz08BYLSxdRZi1ZQKbArgeA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dz08BYLSxdRZi1ZQKbArgeA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D238.43298%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

479613.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

hesker wrote: »
    That’s like my commute every day. On some bends I have to stick my arm out to try to persuade them to back off. Doesn’t stop some of them though. The sheer stupidity is breathtaking.

Imagine giving a 5 year old the permission and responsibility of driving 2 tonnes of metal safely in proximity to other people. Doesn’t the thought make you shudder?

Now consider the reality that a significant minority of drivers we allow to drive on our roads possess the mentality of a 5 year old or worse when they see a cyclist on the road ahead of them.

Two left hooks today, one on the way in and one on the way home. I was taking the lane in both scenarios, so they had to try really hard to get around me. Both for motorists to get to stationary traffic at red lights. Ah well :(

A load of pedestrians and cyclists had near misses on Lombard Street at the Townsend St. A driver coming from Townsend St breezed through the pedestrian lights on entry to the junction and had to hit the brakes hard when he was met with a wall of pedestrians and cyclists (light was green for traffic coming from the liffey and the led crossing) on the other side of the junction. He just kind of waved to as if to say “sorry, what could I do’.Gob****e!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Car went through a red that had turned 6 seconds before, child just put its foot on the crossing as they sailed through. Further up the road same person typing away on their phone as they crawled along.

Just before this, a car came out of a side road and was merging when the Lexus behind it decided that it should not be allowed and rushed up and cut it off unnecessarily. The same Lexus then hook turned me at the next petrol station. i let a roar so loud every car around hit the brakes. Light on my front was 400 lumen, so hard to miss, but then i guess you only see it if you are looking.

A guy in a Prius nearly left hooked me outside the Dublin City Council Offices yesterday. Later down the road i'd seen that the same lad had a bit of a tip with a taxi. Delighted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Nearly got doored on the N11. Going downhill from Galloping Green to the junction near Stillorgan Village, tipping on at nearly 40 I would guess. Someone pulls in to the bus lane and lets someone out onto the cycle lane (didn't pull up to the curb for some unknown reason).

I could see it ahead of time and have a phobia of doors since being doored once a few years ago so wasn't that close but still had to slam on the breaks. Bizarre that someone thinks it's alright to park up on one of the busiest dual carriageways in the country at rush hour to drop someone off, but then again this is Dublin so welcome to the jungle I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Yesterday morning on the Howth Road inbound I had to pull the brakes hard thanks to a car that decided to enter the bus lane then completely stop to let another car out of a junction. Good to know the disc brakes work on a wet morning.

And travelling home by Merrion Square I had a lovely taxi driver trying to overtake me while a car was reversing out of a parking spot, to the point that he was forcing me into the reversing car. Not sure how he couldn't see the car, he must have been too determined to overtake a cyclist and get to the red light at Holles St.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I wonder could this Garda have parked in a more inconvenient location? This is a dangerous enough spot with taxis double parking in the cycle lane and pulling out without looking.

They're giving a cyclist a ticket. As Arsene Wenger used to say 'I didn't see it.'

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3432657,-6.2702446,3a,75y,205.36h,81.66t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sz08BYLSxdRZi1ZQKbArgeA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dz08BYLSxdRZi1ZQKbArgeA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D238.43298%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

479613.png

Garda wouldn't be stopped if the cyclist had obeyed the rules of the road. There is no great spot to stop on that road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Garda wouldn't be stopped if the cyclist had obeyed the rules of the road. There is no great spot to stop on that road

What did the cyclist do?

Felexicon wrote: »
    What did the cyclist do?

I didn't see it, but I'd guess they ran a red light right before there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

There is no great spot to stop on that road

about 10 yards up the road you can see free space inside the cycle lane behind the taxis as the road widens in front of the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

If the Garda had turned around and driven down Dame Street he might have caught a good few vans parked on double yellow lines on both sides of the street.

If he went down to the junction of James's Street, Bow Lane West and Steeven's lane he might have caught a good few cars breaking red lights.

But no, it's easier to catch cyclists :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Emme wrote: »
    If the Garda had turned around and driven down Dame Street he might have caught a good few vans parked on double yellow lines on both sides of the street.

If he went down to the junction of James's Street, Bow Lane West and Steeven's lane he might have caught a good few cars breaking red lights.

But no, it's easier to catch cyclists :rolleyes:

Is that not a taxi space ?

How do you know he didn't catch a motorists earlier.

No one has the right to break the rules and no one can complain when caught.

Garda are clamping down on the road at the moment, seems to be another blitz, saw cyclists and motorists getting tickets in the city over the last week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Garda are clamping down on the road at the moment, seems to be another blitz, saw cyclists and motorists getting tickets in the city over the last week.

They're not really though. They're going after the lowest hanging fruit, rather than doing anything to stop the most dangerous of offences.

They're being seen to do something. Maybe a push so FG et all can show how they are improving policing in the run up the Local Elections, but they will return to the inaction shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Is that not a taxi space ?

How do you know he didn't catch a motorists earlier.

No one has the right to break the rules and no one can complain when caught.

I know that section of road well, I often cycle on it. If I had rigidly stuck to the rules on that road over the years I would be dead now. I don't like breaking rules and I try my best to avoid it but when it's a choice between being abiding by the rules and getting run down or breaking the rules and surviving I'll take survival every time.

Gardai NEVER seem to be around when motor vehicles are driving in a way that they endanger the lives of cyclists. Even if they are they don't always take note. I remember getting knocked off my bike on Trinity Street and a Garda saw it. I got up and hobbled over to the Garda with my bike. Luckily I and my bike were ok apart from a few scratches. The Garda's attitude was if I and my bike weren't majorly damaged it was no big deal if the car knocked me down.

• Advertisement

i genuinely cannot remember the last time i saw someone being stopped after running a red light in a car.
    to be fair, i have seen gardai having pulled cars over for a chat with the driver, without me knowing why, but i do live near ballymun, so could be a range of reasons...

edit:
    speculation: one of the reasons they are able to catch cyclists in this manner, is they can easily set up a checkpoint/a few gardai, and pull in RLJing cyclists, without inconveniencing other road users.
    if they started pulling in motorists in any numbers during morning rush hour, it'd quickly create a roadblock.

'operation freeflow' was not called 'operation road safety'. curious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement